AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

I like the direction!

After the mis-steps of Season Six, they seem to have rectified the errors.

I personally find the story of a governmental conspiracy interesting and I love how the core has to go outside the government to weed out the root of the corruptioin. For sure there are going to be lots of twists and turns before these questions get answered.

I'm excited about the direction!

I agree as I am really enjoying this season so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I didn't expect Bill and Chloe to return in that capacity. Pretty cool, yet, it seems they are severly handicapped with only 4 of them doing all the work.

Also, where are they getting their funding? Computer equipment that sophisticated costs money. Then there are minor things like food and rent.

I did enjoy the cyber catfight between Chloe and Janis.

-Chris
post #213 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 AM

I'm enjoying this season so far. To all that aren't, I'm sorry you can't appreciate that it's a TV show and not real life. Of course all the premises are far-fetched.

#1 All critical infrastructure on a single network? And protected by a single firewall? That's the most laughable concept of all. Most companies with secrets to guard typically have at least 2 different layers of firewalls (eg a Cisco layer and a Checkpoint layer) to protect their secrets. Most exploits would come from inside the network or through holes that are deliberately poked through for business purposes (eg port 80 to a webserver). DoD requires that machines housing secrets not even be physically connected to outside networks.

#2 Torture and the ticking bomb: If that sniper even knew the mission (Almeida didn't even know until he got there and he was the crew leader!), why would he give hot-lady agent real info? The biggest knock against torture is that under duress people will say anything they think the interrogator wants to hear. Assuming that this guy knew the mission (doubtful based on the rest of the storyline) and was trained in counter interrogation techniques, why wouldn't he just give hot-lady agent bogus info? Given the timeframe of when they wanted to capture the PM, she would have been chasing that rabbit for hours while Jack, Tony and co proceeded with the real plan. She had no way to quickly check the veracity of any of his statements and continue the torture if she found out he was lying.

I can't speak to the ATC jargon or the medical scenario (although my completely non-doctor self thought the same thing about the trach tube when I saw it, so I see the point there), but those weren't really meant to be uber realistic, just to move the plot forward. All but the most well-versed in those areas would just accept them at face value.

Let's face it. Real life is boring. If I want to see that, I can carry a camcorder around during the day and watch that tape at night. Let's give them a little poetic license so we can see an entertaining show.

-c
post #214 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Weiner View Post

Obvious medical misinformation. In the hospital room when Agent Walker interrogates Tanner. Tanner is on a ventilator (breathing machine) and has a tracheostomy. It is impossible to talk with a trach because there is no air movement between the vocal cords. Also when she occludes the ventilator tubing a high pressure alarm would go off with the first breath attempt. It is also unusual for a patient just out of surgery on a ventilator to be placed in a private room.

Guess they forget to get a medical professional to review that scene.

Otherwise, I was glued to my seat for the entire two hours and can't wait for the next episode

When I first started watching 24 I realized I needed to cast away logic and over thinking in order to enjoy the show. Once I made that "adjustment" I became hooked. I thought the same thing as you as I watched but quickly moved on

Last nights two shows were great and I have high hopes for the season. Jack (and Tony) are back.

I laughed when they ran the BOA ad with Kiefer Sutherland doing the voice over and joked to my family that BOA used him in the wrong way. It should have went something like this.."(Kiefer using is low talk normal voice) BOA is a highly secure facility even I have accounts here., and facilities are available everywhere. You’ll never have to ask (JACK voice) I NEED TO KNOW WHERE IS THE BANK BRANCH I NEED ACCESS NOW I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME- DAMN IT OPEN AN ACCOUNT TODAY."
post #215 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl View Post

It didn't take long for Agent Walker to learn Jack's tactics. I expect she'll have a great future in Bill Buchanan's rogue organization before it's all over.

I see romance in Jacks future lol
post #216 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 AM

I am trying to get into it but there are a lot of distractions.

I can certainly suspend belief but the single firewall issue is just a bit much.

Why does Chloe (who I have never been a fan of) still call Bill Mr. Buchanan?

Why does Janis Gold (Garofalo ~ also no fan) have the same mannerisms as Chloe?

I think I have a supporting actress issue because I can't stand Deb on Dexter either.

Renee (Annie Wersching) on the other hand
post #217 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I like the approach of not chasing the big boom this season. They have allowed the show to slowly build up the tension instead of giving it all away in the first two hours. Has Jack even killed any one this season? Chloe is a scene stealer. The line about seeing Jack on Cspan was hilarious.
post #218 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Great PQ OTA. Watched it all last night and thought it was good. The change in scenery and some new characters really helped freshen it up. However, some things haven't changed; specifically, moles everywhere we turn. I believe you can tell this story and make it intriguing and full of suspense without the various branches of government always being corrupt. I'd like to see the writers be more creative rather than so repetitive. I'm definitely in for the season, although the anticipation and excitement I felt during the first couple of season is no longer there.

I thought Chloe was terrible, but I'm going to blame it on poor writing. Some of her lines were stilted and flat out juvenile.

Re: Janeane Garofalo. I never thought she was cute. As far as aging poorly: other than being 44, most of us haven't seen her in HD before. As someone else mentioned, her quirks were probably written into the character and then she brings her own style to the part. I've always thought she was a good actress, and unlike some other posters who don't like her simply because of her political leanings, I think her character will bring a lot to the show.
post #219 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I think 24 is overstayed its welcome. It's the same ol' same ol'. I'd like to hear Jack Bauer NOT whisper (except for when he says "You don't have a Choice" or "You're Running out of Time"). I'm going to give it another week or two to see how thigns play out, but it's just so laughable.

Bye!

This is like most seasons of 24 - great start, I'm really enjoying it a lot. The scene where Jack and Tony let loose and knocked out the two FBI guys was great.

Predictable? Sure.

But the real question is if we're now going to spiral off into weird personal life sub-plots like we always do around hour seven or eight.

For example, at this point last season, the nuke had gone off and it looked like it was going to be another great season; that went downhill fast but not until hour eight or so when Cheng and Jack's father became the plot points because they had run out of things to do with Fayed.

Seeing Daniels and his girlfriend/spy get it on was pretty much was the end of Day six for me.

Still, does Garofalo have another expression besides "I'm about to burst into tears?"

Chloe rocked last night - her lines were perfect and show the writers have her back into character when she's not worried about her personal life. I love that she still addresses Bill formally because he still is her boss even when it's only the three (now four) of them.

Best line of the night - her "You looked good."

The only question is, if Bill and Chloe get the evidence they need, who are they going to present it to?

Unlike previous efforts at CTU, no matter what the results for example, Tony and Jack, let alone Chloe and Bill, will all have to leave the country for a non-extradition location for a long, long time unless the new President pardons them at the end of the day.
post #220 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq View Post

I am trying to get into it but there are a lot of distractions.

I can certainly suspend belief but the single firewall issue is just a bit much.

My friend and I talked about this and the following is our rationalization.

We viewed it as if the firewall was like an advanced technology standardized by the Government. They spend millions of dollars developing this firewall technology then use it everywhere they can. Kind of like encryption... It's not that there is one firewall that literally networks all of the infrastructure together... but that it is the same type of firewall implemented for each specific utility. So if you figure out how to bypass the firewall, then you can access all of the facilities that use that type.

Hopefully that makes sense to others.

-Jason
post #221 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm trying to remember what happened to Bill Buchanen during the crapfest that was season 6, where did we leave off with BB? I remembered he was fired at some point

first 4 hours were pretty entertaining but I'm still reserving my opinion because season 6 started out well also
post #222 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxer View Post

I'm enjoying this season so far. To all that aren't, I'm sorry you can't appreciate that it's a TV show and not real life. Of course all the premises are far-fetched.

The problem I have is that all seasons of 24 start out excellently, even the last one. By the middle of the season the show runs out of ideas and starts treading water and either gives us the same episode over and over or introduces some new arc that's much weaker than the original.

This show is famous for being written and rewritten very close to shooting so they often have no choice but to come up with ideas as quickly as possible. I think last season was the first one they mapped out the plot from beginning to end and it was actually the weakest season so far.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #223 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

This show is famous for being written and rewritten very close to shooting so they often have no choice but to come up with ideas as quickly as possible. I think last season was the first one they mapped out the plot from beginning to end and it was actually the weakest season so far.

According to Kiefer, they've already shot this entire season. I'm not sure if that's good news or bad...
post #224 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post

Anyone who is a commercial pilot or a controller cringes at most of the aviation stuff. Did you notice in the cockpit shots the plane had four throttles...........for a two engine aircraft! Not to mention the jet was a 737, 757, and a 777, etc.

I didn't notice the extra throttle levers...good catch. I could have sworn, though, that they portrayed the pilot pushing the throttle levers aft instead of forward while adding go-around thrust.
post #225 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

I bailed out of the previous season of 24 fairly early. Hadn't missed an episode till that point. I'm back on board this season. Yes it has all the realism of Johnny Quest, but oh well that's 24.

There has to have been a study on the optimal kills per hour + kills or violent acts by Jack = good episode/season.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #226 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

I'm trying to remember what happened to Bill Buchanen during the crapfest that was season 6, where did we leave off with BB? I remembered he was fired at some point

first 4 hours were pretty entertaining but I'm still reserving my opinion because season 6 started out well also

Yes, Bill was canned (or forced out)

One must assume Bill must have gotten a sweet severence package from the govt. to help fund his little "rogue" operation w/ Chloe & Tony.

Will Mrs Buchanan (former Palmer II Cabinet member) pop back up, I wonder?

In terms of "realism"....well, 24 has yet to cross the lines like a show such as PRISON BREAK has. But in terms of "real", I'd put 24 up there w/ something like CSI.

If you want to see what REAL crime scene officers do while watching a TV show, then look for the background extras with the NYPD CSU windbreakers that one sees milling about in the early minutes of most Law & Order eps.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #227 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

If you want to see what REAL crime scene officers do while watching a TV show, then look for the background extras with the NYPD CSU windbreakers that one sees milling about in the early minutes of most Law & Order eps.

You mean real crime scene officers don't go around carrying guns, shooting at people, arresting and interrogating them? Never!
post #228 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Re: Janeane Garofalo. I never thought she was cute. As far as aging poorly: other than being 44, most of us haven't seen her in HD before. As someone else mentioned, her quirks were probably written into the character and then she brings her own style to the part. I've always thought she was a good actress, and unlike some other posters who don't like her simply because of her political leanings, I think her character will bring a lot to the show.

i've only watched the first 2 hours so far but i'm enjoying Janeane Garofalo in her role.
post #229 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 62
check out the new FBI computer lady on You Tube..tattoos up and down her arm.. Guess we won't see her in short sleeve blouses.. good episode last nite, fastest 2 hrs. on tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-qNR...eature=related..

post #230 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Is it wrong to hope that she gets the Edward treatment?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #231 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

Heh, I don't even remember how Tony Almeda died!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #232 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRay View Post

i've only watched the first 2 hours so far but i'm enjoying Janeane Garofalo in her role.

All I want to know is when does she get to be in the torture chair! Why would that happen?...well she must have some secret we need to know. Do it anyway!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #233 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

check out the new FBI computer lady on You Tube..tattoos up and down her arm.. Guess we won't see her in short sleeve blouses..

Ever heard of make up? It would take maybe ten minutes to cover them up if they wanted to.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #234 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I might have missed this already, but did anybody mention the "Die Hard 2: Die Harder" quality to the plot thus far?

Big Dumb Mammal
post #235 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

Actually . . . Janeane (black haired girl with the glasses that's pretending to be high-strung with anxiety) IS the mole. Mark my words.

Yeah...

I see the resemblance....

but Jeanine's not as cute.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #236 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you can sneak 20 moles into CTU over the past 6 years, it shouldn't be that tough to walk out with some CTU hardware along with some office supplies.
post #237 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq View Post

Why does Chloe (who I have never been a fan of) still call Bill Mr. Buchanan?

Umm.....he's still her boss....?

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #238 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM

How have the previews been at the end of the last two nights for the next episodes? I'm curious because, after the start of the respective seasons, I haven't watched a 24 commercial since Season 2. They were giving too much away.
post #239 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
revealing.
post #240 of 2020 Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

revealing.

Indeed. I'll put it this way...I watched the previews last night, and I won't be watching them again.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page