Eureka on SciFi in HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 610 Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The Eureka/Warehouse 13 crossover episodes were almost non-events as it turns out.

I like both shows, and the actors involved... so not knocking that...

But, if you watched the Warehouse 13 episode with Fargo there... it didn't have to be Fargo at all... and could have been anyone else OR even had Claudia do the computer re-write and not have a character in there for Fargo at all.

Similarly, Claudia didn't have much to do on the Eureka episode... and aside from liking the character interaction, it really didn't do much to serve the overall plot.

Frankly, BOTH crossovers smelled more like an embedded commercial advertising to watch the other show... and that disappointed me. I would have enjoyed seeing Fargo have more importance in the Warehouse as well as Claudia being more integral to resolving the Eureka plot this week.

Seemed like a wasted crossover in that regard.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 610 Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I continue to enjoy Eureka very much. James Callis had been a worthy addition and I, for one at least, liked the budding romance between Fargo and Claudia. This season it has worked for me, although I agree that it might have been considerably less credible if it had involved the pre time warp version of Fargo. As always, Colin Ferguson, as the Sheriff, is the lynchpin of the series.
post #273 of 610 Old 08-07-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Crossover episodes have to be challenging logistically, so I don't expect much of a continuation of the romance except for occasional references to the characters in the respective shows. I can't remember such episodes having much impact on the shows where they've been utilized.

Going back to the Buffy well again, I remember the subtlest use of a crossover I've ever seen. After Angel's departure from Sunnydale, Buffy gets a phone call but the caller says nothing. In the Angel episode that follows, we learn that it was Angel who called but couldn't bring himself to say anything. Now THAT'S a minimalistic use of the crossover. Despite that, it sticks out in my mind as one of the most memorable things from both series. The Eureka/Warehouse 13 crossover episodes mirrored the light-hearted nature of both shows. The series are really two sides of the same Syfy coin, and I thought the crossover stories were handled about as well as could be expected.

What I can see the writers doing, possibly, is setting poor Fargo up to lose his new lady love when the original Eureka timeline is restored at some point. That could be funny. What I think is more likely is that Claudia's beau on Warehouse 13 will reappear as a romantic interest. His exit was too abrupt for that to be the end of the story. What we'll probably get is a reference in Eureka to Claudia getting back together with her boyfriend and that will be the end of her and Fargo.

Joe Clark

post #274 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Naa I don't think they are going to get back to the original timeline ever... with that "neutrino problem" solved and the machine sent to Warehouse 13 I doubt it..

Although "Balthar" kept one of those bulbs...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #275 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Naa I don't think they are going to get back to the original timeline ever... with that "neutrino problem" solved and the machine sent to Warehouse 13 I doubt it..

Although "Balthar" kept one of those bulbs...

It's certainly possible that they won't be able to "go home," but I think they will (at least mostly). Either way, the dramatic possibilities are practically endless. By fracturing the Eureka "universe," they've opened up the potential for fascinating new twists. If what they've done in the first episodes is any indication, there's a lot to look forward to.

Joe Clark

post #276 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

It's certainly possible that they won't be able to "go home," but I think they will (at least mostly). Either way, the dramatic possibilities are practically endless. By fracturing the Eureka "universe," they've open up the potential for fascinating new twists. If what they've done in the first episodes is any indication, there's a lot to look forward to.

I agree that the time warp was inspired and creates nearly endless possibilities for the writers to use as launching pads for new threads. There is simply no substitute for good writing and, I think, that's what has allowed Eureka to stay as fresh as it has over the course of 4 seasons.
post #277 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, good writing can't save bad acting, and good acting can't save bad writing. Unlike a lot of shows that may be good at one or the other, Eureka is blessed with people who are good at both. It's a light-spirited, fun show, with a good heart, and it never forgets that.

Joe Clark

post #278 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

On an I-don't-care-but-I-noticed-it note:

Erica Cerra seems to have had some very minor corrective surgery on the tiny curve of her nose. It's ruler-flat now, and it's been broadened ever so slightly. I don't care. She was beautiful before and she's still beautiful.

As I mentioned before, I think she's even better this year, as is Niall Matter (Zane). Strong writing allows actors to showcase their talents. They've both had more opportunities to do that this season.

Syfy keeps mentioning that Warehouse 13 is their big hit, but to me Eureka is still the better show. Eureka's ensemble is stronger in general, and the writing infuses more humanity into each episode. Although I like W13, I haven't come even close to investing as much of myself into W13's characters as Eureka's. W13 is still struggling with who the characters should be and how they should interact. Eureka had that pretty much nailed in the pilot.

Joe Clark

post #279 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I gotta say I wasn't a big fan of the budding romance between Allison and Grant (Callis). Not that I really care if Carter and Allison ever get together, but felt it was a bit forced just so the writers can get back to the "Carter and Allison aren't together" subplot-lines, which were tired out 2 seasons ago.

Other than that, enjoying the twisted universe and the possibilities it opens.
post #280 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One final note.

A show I've already given up on is "Haven." I usually give a show more time, but "Haven" lacks everything that Eureka does so well - clever writing, nuanced acting and character chemistry. To me, it's completely flat. Too bad - it's a typically lean summer for TV viewing.

Joe Clark

post #281 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So does Warehouse 13 only exist in this alternate Eureka timeline or does it exist in both?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #282 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

One final note.

A show I've already given up on is "Haven." I usually give a show more time, but "Haven" lacks everything that Eureka does so well - clever writing, nuanced acting and character chemistry. To me, it's completely flat. Too bad - it's a typically lean summer for TV viewing.

I think some poor casting choices also didn't help Haven. FBI agent or freshman sorority sister?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #283 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

So does Warehouse 13 only exist in this alternate Eureka timeline or does it exist in both?

They pointed out in the second episode that time line changes were like ripples in a pond -- the farther you got away from the initial disturbance, the smaller the changes were. For people outside Eureka, their actions in the past had little, if any, effect.
post #284 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Carlo View Post

They pointed out in the second episode that time line changes were like ripples in a pond -- the farther you got away from the initial disturbance, the smaller the changes were. For people outside Eureka, their actions in the past had little, if any, effect.

Also... many artifacts in the Warehouse predate the 1947 time to which the Eureka folk traveled... which means all those artifacts would have automatically existed in the old timeline as they could not have been affected by only going back to 1947.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #285 of 610 Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes but Claudia has been to Eureka and interacted (along with the others from Warehouse 13) with people from the alternate time-line. It would be really cool if they use that somehow in a future Warehouse 13 show, especially now that Warehouse 13 is in possession of the wormhole machine.

post #286 of 610 Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Yes but Claudia has been to Eureka and interacted (along with the others from Warehouse 13) with people from the alternate time-line. It would be really cool if they use that somehow in a future Warehouse 13 show, especially now that Warehouse 13 is in possession of the wormhole machine.

This is what I was hoping. Only time will tell.
post #287 of 610 Old 08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm really enjoying the work being done by Eureka's actors. I thought I'd post a few screen captures of some of my favorite moments. Most of these show reactions as the characters discover the effects of their time travel.

The unfortunate thing about these captures is that they don't do justice to the subtlety the actors have brought to the screen. There have been some remarkable and moving interactions among the characters, especially Salli Richardson-Whitfield and Colin Ferguson. And Jamie Ray Newman was at her best in the final episodes in which she appeared.

Joe Clark

post #288 of 610 Old 08-13-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Still hoping they bring both Eureka and Warehouse 13 to Blu.

post #289 of 610 Old 08-13-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Carlo View Post

Which of course is a very week way to skip over the fact that pulling a notable figure from the past who was instrumental in the creation of Eureka would have had major consequences on the world. Assistant to Einstein wasn't he? So if he had the credibility to be in that position then he must have made a major contribution to science at some point. Unless he never did anything noteworthy beyond his leap date in the original timeline.

Carter in particular was never supposed to be in Eureka to begin with. Carter is only sheriff as a result of coincidence and unfortunate timing. A few minutes difference in his life could have changed everything.

Eureka plots are still just fluffy outlines however so contemplating the points of time travel in the show is something that should be avoided by hiding behind a large bucket of popcorn.

post #290 of 610 Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Me, too.

I have the first two seasons on DVD and all of seasons 3 and 4 in HD, thanks to my Dish receiver and, now, my R5000 modded Dish 211. It allows me to capture the Dish streams directly to the computer's hard drive. But, I'd jump at the chance to have both series on Blu-ray disc.

Joe Clark

post #291 of 610 Old 08-13-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can't forget Henry and Fargo:

Joe Clark

post #292 of 610 Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Eureka plots are still just fluffy outlines however so contemplating the points of time travel in the show is something that should be avoided by hiding behind a large bucket of popcorn.

Exactly. 30 minutes into the very first episode I realized the "science" in the show was going to be pretty silly, and the "politics of science" just about as silly. And it has remained so. Good science fiction remains internally consistent, no matter how "far out" the science might be, and good shows or films about the "politics of science" (e.g. Contact - not that great of a movie, but a pretty decent treatment of the political and economic maneuverings that make up the science landscape) also treat the subject realistically, but Eureka doesn't pretend to do even this.

It's the characters, relationships, acting, writing, and the drama / comedy as they are all thrown together by the "science mishap" of the week that is so fun. And I think this season has amped it up even more, and I think has the strongest writing (and just as good acting) since season 1.

It's one of our favorite family TV viewings of the week (with the wife and 10 yo son - he doesn't get a lot of the relationship triangles / subtleties, but he enjoys robots going wild and things blowing up and just about anything to do with Fargo).

Cliff
post #293 of 610 Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffg View Post

Exactly. 30 minutes into the very first episode I realized the "science" in the show was going to be pretty silly, and the "politics of science" just about as silly. And it has remained so. Good science fiction remains internally consistent, no matter how "far out" the science might be, and good shows or films about the "politics of science" (e.g. Contact - not that great of a movie, but a pretty decent treatment of the political and economic maneuverings that make up the science landscape) also treat the subject realistically, but Eureka doesn't pretend to do even this.

It's the characters, relationships, acting, writing, and the drama / comedy as they are all thrown together by the "science mishap" of the week that is so fun. And I think this season has amped it up even more, and I think has the strongest writing (and just as good acting) since season 1.

It's one of our favorite family TV viewings of the week (with the wife and 10 yo son - he doesn't get a lot of the relationship triangles / subtleties, but he enjoys robots going wild and things blowing up and just about anything to do with Fargo).

Cliff

I would probably remind you of your 10 year old son. Every time this summer when they ran the Fargonator teasers ("Your clothes. Give them to me. Now!"), I was practically doubled over in laughter. Not just once, but every single time.

And I agree completely about the consistency with which Eureka has handled its stories. The science is always secondary to the humor and the relationships, and it rings just true enough that I'm not turned off.

As a fan of Chuck, I was most disappointed that it in its third season it was unable to do what Eureka has done from the beginning. I can suspend my disbelief as long as the tone and the storytelling are consistent (even if they're consistently far-fetched). Chuck failed to do that last year, while at the same time doing real violence to the relationships among its characters. I'll be absolutely delighted this fall if Chuck's writers can come even close to reinvigorating its storytelling as well as Eureka has in its 4th season.

Joe Clark

post #294 of 610 Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

my cable company has fake high def the box says it runing in 1080i
but its not in 16.9 i need to strech SciFi channel if i dont i get black boxs
post #295 of 610 Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Great episode tonight. Did anyone expect to see Debrah Farentino's character ever again? That one came right out of the blue.

post #296 of 610 Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Another very enjoyable episode. I think we may have had a prelude to the the Eureka musical episode that's coming some time this season - when Henry woos Grace in the GD rotunda. Fargo as DJ - priceless.

I liked just about everything about this episode, including the return of Beverly Barlowe. And what looked like another tired tease with Allison and Carter turned into a big, juicy plot development, with the return of Stark and Tess Fontana next week. It just gets better and better.

Joe Clark

post #297 of 610 Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Liked: 15
My thoughts exactly (Beverly Barlow). I can barely remember how she left. Didn't it have to do with Allison's son?

Doug
post #298 of 610 Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wallen View Post

My thoughts exactly (Beverly Barlow). I can barely remember how she left. Didn't it have to do with Allison's son?

Doug

She escaped in the underground GD teleportation device after trying to take Kevin from Allison (with Henry's "help"). Ironically, she made a reappearance in the first altered timeline episode in which Allison and Carter were married and expecting a child. So, it shouldn't be such a surprise that she's back (she seemed to be a redeemed character in that show). Also, in one of the first or second season DVD extras, they imply that when she had a "sex" scene with a senator, the producers all suddenly appeared on the set to "observe." That tells me that my crush on her is probably shared by many in the Eureka cast and crew.

Joe Clark

post #299 of 610 Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wallen View Post

Doug

Yes it did.
LL
LL
post #300 of 610 Old 08-20-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If I recall correctly, Jack caught her on the outskirts of town and told her never to come back to Eureka again.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page