AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

Season starts tomorrow!

Excellent. I can't wait. It's been too long.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 610 Old 07-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Insert "thumbs up" here.
post #363 of 610 Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

Season starts tomorrow!

Well, actually, the season continues...

This is the second half of season 4.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #364 of 610 Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I think my definition of "season" differs from Syfy's.

What I'd love to see is Eureka on Blu-ray.

Joe Clark

post #365 of 610 Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Loved it, I've really missed this show. Now, let the DVR set on pause for about 15 minutes and tear into WH13.
post #366 of 610 Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A mash-up of Apollo 13 and Space Cowboys, with a healthy dose of Eureka history. Loved the comic sci fi elements, loved the relationships - Allison and Jack, Zane and Jo, shades of the Fargo/Zane/Jo triangle. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Joe Clark

post #367 of 610 Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Looks like Zane is being brought into the secret club now... I wonder if we eventually will mostly end up "forgetting" about the changed universe, except for Alison's son... and they will stop talking about it in the opening credits at some point?

The longer they keep talking about it, the more I keep wondering if they are going to revert to the old continuity at some point.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #368 of 610 Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just thought of another homage - Zane and Fargo in the capsule recalls the liftoff of Reiker and Geordi Laforge with Zephram Cochran in Star Trek: First Contact - the first warp drive (FTL) flight by man. Warehouse 13 also had Star Trek references tonight, with the Kirk and Spock allusions.

Joe Clark

post #369 of 610 Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

"What do you think the roaming charges are in space?" Fargo rocks. It's good to have Eureka back. Did it seem Allison and Henry were grumpier than usual towards Carter?

post #370 of 610 Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Looks like Zane is being brought into the secret club now... I wonder if we eventually will mostly end up "forgetting" about the changed universe, except for Alison's son... and they will stop talking about it in the opening credits at some point?

The longer they keep talking about it, the more I keep wondering if they are going to revert to the old continuity at some point.

I expect the timeline to be restored. It's occurred to me that they might revisit an earlier device to do it. They played with an alternate reality storyline in the second season. It was, for me, Eureka's most moving episode - when Jack returns to the past to fix a dangerous altered timeline. Henry couldn't let go of Kim and changed history to save her, creating a future in which Jack and Allison are expecting a child. In the end, Henry erases Jack's memory of that alternate reality. And, presumably, Henry is the only one who still recalls it. As a matter of fact, Henry reminds us of that fact in the episode in which Allison "dies" before this season's hiatus. When Allison refers to Carter as "Jack" for the first time, Henry chuckles and says to her, "I've known for some time that you two were meant for each other." I'm thinking the restoration of the timeline may pull the two of them apart again at the end of this season.

Meanwhile, I think Eureka's writers have handled the Carter/Blake romance about as well as I could have hoped for. It feels right - certainly not the kiss of death such a relationship has been for some shows. Credit Salli Richardson-Whitfield and Colin Ferguson for a lion's share of that success. The way I see it, they've done everything right. Their on-screen chemistry works just as well now as before. But the writers have also crafted the transition in such a way as to give it real believability.

What an outstanding show.

Joe Clark

post #371 of 610 Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I love Eureka and all the characters...except Fargo. He is just WAY too childish, especially for someone who is in charge.

My wife and I both got big smiles on our faces as soon as the Eureka theme started playing. We missed it.
post #372 of 610 Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I expect the timeline to be restored. It's occurred to me that they might revisit an earlier device to do it. They played with an alternate reality storyline in the second season. It was, for me, Eureka's most moving episode - when Jack returns to the past to fix a dangerous altered timeline. Henry couldn't let go of Kim and changed history to save her, creating a future in which Jack and Allison are expecting a child. In the end, Henry erases Jack's memory of that alternate reality. And, presumably, Henry is the only one who still recalls it. As a matter of fact, Henry reminds us of that fact in the episode in which Allison "dies" before this season's hiatus. When Allison refers to Carter as "Jack" for the first time, Henry chuckles and says to her, "I've known for some time that you two were meant for each other." I'm thinking the restoration of the timeline may pull the two of them apart again at the end of this season.

Agreed on the original timeline-altering plot... I like how Henry drops things now and then about how he remembers something that no one else does. I believe only Henry and Jack could have remembered that alternate timeline, and of course Henry erased Jack's memory so that Jack could cope with it AND it allowed Henry to come to terms and be Jack's friend again since he and Jack were at odds over that.

I do figure that IF they restore the timeline from last season's antics... it will come with problems. It would almost have to screw up Jack/Allison... and it also would really mess with Allison who would lose the ability to be communicative with her son.

Most everything else would probably be fine... and Henry could reconnect with the woman who is now his wife... because she could still be there and we'd get the other side of that dynamic (Henry would know her, but she wouldn't know him this time)...

post #373 of 610 Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That could break up Allison and Jack pretty fast, couldn't it - for Jack once again to return the timeline to the way it's supposed to be, but destroy Allison's new relationship with her son in the process. (In a sense, he'd be taking a child from her, just as he did in the other alternate timeline - but this time she'd be the one to remember.) I liked the hints we got last night of what relationships may become in the course of the rest of the season. Fargo seems to be maturing and is surprisingly cool in the face of impending death, and even under Senate scrutiny. (Ming Na looks to be a new Eureka antagonist). Zane and Jo will heat up again. Jack and Allison are cozy now, but their jobs and their styles (she the scientist and he the seat of his pants guy who trusts his hunches) may get in the way of their relationship in the future.

No matter how you slice it, this is a great beginning to these new episodes.

Joe Clark

post #374 of 610 Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Eureka is one of those rare shows that I don't find myself nitpicking. I do nitpick shows I like... and I put up with a lot of stuff... but Eureka seems to get most things right. Including when they blow up their own continuity with a time travel episode... that usually would tick me off... but the way they have adjusted and keep referring to past things... the Eureka people just keep getting it right.

post #375 of 610 Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph clark View Post
just thought of another homage - zane and fargo in the capsule recalls the liftoff of reiker and geordi laforge with zephram cochran in star trek: First contact - the first warp drive (ftl) flight by man. Warehouse 13 also had star trek references tonight, with the kirk and spock allusions.
+1!!!:d

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #376 of 610 Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Loved the 80's music themed episode last night. I wanted to crank up Rocky 3 afterwards. Crazy twist at the end. This could be interesting.

post #377 of 610 Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Eureka is still one of the best and funniest shows on TV. It doesn't insult your intelligence and is fun to watch besides. Hard to believe it's still on (let alone on SyFy).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #378 of 610 Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's too bad that the girl on the side of the road turned out to be a memory plant. I was hoping they were adding that hottie as a regular.
post #379 of 610 Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Eureka is still one of the best and funniest shows on TV. It doesn't insult your intelligence and is fun to watch besides. Hard to believe it's still on (let alone on SyFy).
Perfect explanation. It's just plain fun to watch.
post #380 of 610 Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone else see the similarities between this episode and one from Fringe? In Fringe, a distraught father tries to ease his son's disability by developing a treatment that helps him walk. It involves using a heavy element (Osmium) that has the opposite of the expected result - i.e., it makes people float. I think there was another Fringe-like story element, too, earlier in the season. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Joe Clark

post #381 of 610 Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm about as far from being a "shipper" as can be. (A "shipper," from my understanding, is someone who has an obsession with the romantic relationship of two fictional characters.) However, I like this new relationship between Allison and Jack on Eureka. This change to "couple" is working better for me than any other such on-screen union I can remember. I credit most of it to the wonderful chemistry between Ferguson and Whitfield. Both actors are gifted at delivering quiet, subtle emotions. Perhaps I also like it because it's happening in the context of the altered timeline, and it feels as though it may be doomed (or derailed) for that reason. Both the joining and (if it happens) the breakup, feel organic to the Eureka universe. It hasn't killed the sexual tension, either.

Hmmm, this whole idea is Fringe-tinged, too, isn't it? (except in this case, I actually like Ferguson and Whitfield more as performers than Jackson and Torv)

Hey, I just noticed that this is my 7,777th post. Must be my lucky day.

Joe Clark

post #382 of 610 Old 08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 180
TV Notes
SyFy's 'Eureka' Poised To End Its Run With Final 6-Episode Order
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - August 4th, 2011

EXCLUSIVE: Syfy's Eureka will be coming to an end. I've learned that the cable network is close to ordering six more episodes, which will mark the end of the sci-fi series starring Collin Ferguson and Salli Richardson-Whitfield.

Syfy is currently airing Season 4.5 of Eureka, while the show is filming the 13 episodes from Season 5. I hear filming is expected to wrap as planned at the end of the month, with the cast and crew coming back in October to shoot the final six episodes. Created by Andrew Cosby and Jaime Paglia and produced by Universal Cable Prods, Eureka is set in the fictional town of Eureka, Ore., inhabited almost entirely by geniuses and scientists. The current Season 4.5 premiered last month with 2 million total viewers, 893,000 of them in the adults 18-49 category.

As we reported earlier this week, Syfy also is poised to renew Warehouse 13.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/syfy...episode-order/
post #383 of 610 Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
SyFy's 'Eureka' Poised To End Its Run With Final 6-Episode Order
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - August 4th, 2011

EXCLUSIVE: Syfy's Eureka will be coming to an end. I've learned that the cable network is close to ordering six more episodes, which will mark the end of the sci-fi series starring Collin Ferguson and Salli Richardson-Whitfield.

Syfy is currently airing Season 4.5 of Eureka, while the show is filming the 13 episodes from Season 5. I hear filming is expected to wrap as planned at the end of the month, with the cast and crew coming back in October to shoot the final six episodes. Created by Andrew Cosby and Jaime Paglia and produced by Universal Cable Prods, Eureka is set in the fictional town of Eureka, Ore., inhabited almost entirely by geniuses and scientists. The current Season 4.5 premiered last month with 2 million total viewers, 893,000 of them in the adults 18-49 category.

As we reported earlier this week, Syfy also is poised to renew Warehouse 13.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/syfy...episode-order/

Well that sucks. It's a great show with a great cast. I'm gonna miss my visits to Eureka. Perhaps now they will finally get the blu-ray treatment.

post #384 of 610 Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh, no!! That really sucks!! Much as I like Warehouse 13 (which is likely to be renewed), Eureka is the better show. The writers continue to dish up fun stories, but it's the acting I'll miss most. Ferguson, Morton and Richardson-Whitfield - they're a great trio - and Ferguson has never been better than he is right now. His delivery is impeccable.

Joe Clark

post #385 of 610 Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can some one break down those numbers? The final six is confusing me, they have the remainder of 4.5(about 6 more episodes I believe). Then they're shooting Season #5, a 13 episode run. Is that it 13 more episodes after we finish 4.5, or is it 13 more then a final 6?

And what is the reason for ending the show? I've been disappointed in the way they drag out the seasons on the show, we all love it, and want more but it goes and has gone on a lot hiatuses over it's life.
post #386 of 610 Old 08-04-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Can some one break down those numbers? The final six is confusing me, they have the remainder of 4.5(about 6 more episodes I believe). Then they're shooting Season #5, a 13 episode run. Is that it 13 more episodes after we finish 4.5, or is it 13 more then a final 6?

And what is the reason for ending the show? I've been disappointed in the way they drag out the seasons on the show, we all love it, and want more but it goes and has gone on a lot hiatuses over it's life.

It's the 5th season, everything seems to go off the rails about that time, everyone involved in the show starts asking for increasingly larger amounts of money.
post #387 of 610 Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It's the 5th season, everything seems to go off the rails about that time, everyone involved in the show starts asking for increasingly larger amounts of money.

But, that's speculation. I've always wondered about the creators/writers of the show and if they were the reason we had such long droughts. I've never understood the screwed up schedule that Eureka has gone through. Every year we get promised a boat load of episodes and every season we don't get them. I've just never really figured out what is behind all the talk and then just quietly not following through on what is said.
post #388 of 610 Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 397
We still have 19 episodes plus the remainder of season 4 to watch so I am OK with them ending the series. The show so far has had a good run.
post #389 of 610 Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Well that sucks. It's a great show with a great cast. I'm gonna miss my visits to Eureka. Perhaps now they will finally get the blu-ray treatment.

Don't hold your breath... For whatever reason they haven't released Blu-rays yet... once the series is off the air, there's even less reason to release Blu-rays.

I wish they would... but the DVDs keep being available for $15 or less per half season... so it's hard not to go ahead and buy them... I gave up waiting for Blu-rays.

post #390 of 610 Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Don't hold your breath... For whatever reason they haven't released Blu-rays yet... once the series is off the air, there's even less reason to release Blu-rays.

I wish they would... but the DVDs keep being available for $15 or less per half season... so it's hard not to go ahead and buy them... I gave up waiting for Blu-rays.

I just won't buy DVDs these days. If a show isn't available on BD, I'll wait for it to be recycled on an HD channel.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page