post #541 of 611 Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Yes there was a new episode. Both of my DVR's recorded it I am using D* without a problem.

Damn. Now I gotta find it before the series finale. I have DirecTV too. Wonder why my receiver dropped the ball on this?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 611 Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
I really enjoyed this week's show. I liked the nice balance between humor and creepiness struck by the evil clones. Thought this one was one of the best.
post #543 of 611 Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Damn. Now I gotta find it before the series finale. I have DirecTV too. Wonder why my receiver dropped the ball on this?

Looks like it's on again next monday.

ANy chance someone was watching TV and told it not to change the channel to record? Or possibly you had a power outage/storm?
post #544 of 611 Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Whil Wheaton talking about Star Wars things.. indeed very weird Eureka moment..

The ends begins now, DoD taking over Eureka and shutting it down forever..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #545 of 611 Old 07-11-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Try going to your series manager in the DVR menu and check to see if the priority was somehow changed. First run only is how I have my series set up. You are the only one using the DVR?
post #546 of 611 Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

ANy chance someone was watching TV and told it not to change the channel to record? Or possibly you had a power outage/storm?

It usually tells you that the program didn't record if there is a power interruption IIRC?
post #547 of 611 Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
One of my favorite shows, going...going...frown.gif

I really hope SyFy produces some Eureka one-shot movies. They would be welcome.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #548 of 611 Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

One of my favorite shows, going...going...frown.gif
I really hope SyFy produces some Eureka one-shot movies. They would be welcome.

I totally agree! This is (was) one of the best! biggrin.gif

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #549 of 611 Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Try going to your series manager in the DVR menu and check to see if the priority was somehow changed. First run only is how I have my series set up. You are the only one using the DVR?

I'm gonna chalk it up to a ghost in the machine. I'm the only one who uses this DVR, my settings haven't changed and it's the only show I record on Mondays. I scrolled to this coming Monday and both last weeks and the final show are scheduled to record. Lets hope this ghost finds a different DVR to haunt. It's been a fun ride hangin' with the gang from Eureka. I wish they would have made the last episode a 2-hour finale. Followed by an hour of Q&A's with the cast.. You could call it Coffee Time at Eureka.wink.gif

post #550 of 611 Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If your DVR screws up and misses Monday's shows, you can wait a couple of weeks and watch them at the SYFY website. The full episodes there are several weeks behind, but they'll catch up eventually. Season 5 episode 9 is the latest there, so it should be about 4 weeks before the finale is available.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #551 of 611 Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
And if your DVR fouls up again and you are REALLY anxious to see the episodes, the final season DVD box set hits shelves tomorrow.
post #552 of 611 Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What a fun series this has been, really gonna miss it and the characters. Funny seeing the appearance of the "special" characters (myth busters). What a great twist from the past
tomhunter8 likes this.
post #553 of 611 Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I loved this show and the series finale did not disappoint. Everyone ended up where they should be and that's a good thing, But what was up with the last scene????rolleyes.gif

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #554 of 611 Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
My DVR also crashed before last week's episode, so I just caught up tonight.

Based on the buildup to the finale, I doubt seriously that the writers had time to give the show the sendoff they wanted to. I think they got word too late into the filming of this season to do it the way they'd envisioned. But given the time they had to work with, I enjoyed this episode. I liked seeing past regulars, and Carter's flight back through Eureka's past(s). I especially liked that they gave Allison and Jack their lost child from another timeline. I've played versions of that in my head many times. Since it was such a key element of the climax of this episode, I have to believe the show runners thought it was a defining moment of the series. I know I always have. For me, that episode in which Jack travels back in time to stop Henry from saving Kim (and thus loses his unborn child with Allison) was the most emotionally powerful of the series. Although it was obvious to me that the finale was rushed, it still moved me. I was close to tears.

I came late to the Eureka party, but I became invested immediately. It's been such a fun show! These will always be some of my favorite characters, and I will really, really miss them. I hope they produce Eureka movies, as was suggested here. And I'd pay a premium for Eureka Blu-ray discs. Are you listening, Syfy?

Joe Clark

post #555 of 611 Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
All in all it was a good wrap, people where they were supposed to be. The baby seemed a bit over the top, but did tie in with the earlier timeline.

I will miss the show, always enjoyed it.
post #556 of 611 Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

I loved this show and the series finale did not disappoint. Everyone ended up where they should be and that's a good thing, But what was up with the last scene????rolleyes.gif
A mirror image of the first episode. It was predicted by many during this last season.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #557 of 611 Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

A mirror image of the first episode. It was predicted by many during this last season.

Yes, they did it on a small scale at the end of the pilot. Jack and Zoe see themselves as they leave town (but before Jack is reassigned there as sheriff). The technique is known as "bookending." The idea is that the new context provides the viewer with a brand new set of emotional and intellectual reactions to the same event. They did it in Lost. The series begins and ends with Jack flat on his back on the island after the crash. It's not a new device in film-making (or literature). Directors have been using it forever. I like it. It almost always works for me, and it did last night, too.

But it's unfortunate that they weren't given sufficient time to set it up in the Eureka finale. I don't blame the producers. Well over a year ago, I was following Colin Ferguson and the Eureka writers on Twitter. If I understand the chronology, earlier on in the shooting of the 5th season, they were told there would be a season 6. They were deep into season 5 when Syfy changed its mind and canceled the show. I didn't understand how they'd have time to wrap things up properly. As it turns out, they didn't. I'm sure the producers had a much more cohesive series bookend in mind for us. We'll just have to use our imaginations.

Joe Clark

post #558 of 611 Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My understanding was, that they rather sudenly announced that there would be no follow on season, but gave them one additional episode than was originally planned so they could write an ending. I thought that they did pretty well under the near impossible constraints they were under.

Sanctuary never even got the option of a final episode. It didn't end, it just stopped.

Oh, and Jack had the perfect line summing up the whole series. Alison said she didn;t want him to jump into that wormhole with the strong force amplifier(eek.gif) and he replied "that's what I do." EXACTLY!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #559 of 611 Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, that was a great line. At some point I intend to go through Jack's "wormhole journey" in ultra slow-mo. It had a little bit of everything from the show - all the on-going characters and key events from all the timelines. It centered on Jack and Allison's relationship, as I think it should have. That romance was central to the evolution of the series. IMO Salli Richardson-Whitfield and Colin Ferguson always made it work. Along with Joe Morton's Henry Deacon, they were the anchors for all the "silliness." They're so good. Joe Morton has been strong in everything I've ever seen him in. Salli R-W is stunningly beautiful, and when given the opportunity to "stretch" the part, she was always up to the task. Colin Ferguson does "quiet strength" unlike any actor I've ever seen. For me, these were Eureka's pillars, raising the show well above what it might have been with lesser talents.

Joe Clark

post #560 of 611 Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I had given up on Eureka last season (I got sick of it's formula), but I watched this season just to see it wrap up. For a show that I basically lost touch of, I really loved the ending (Carter & daughter seeing themselves arrive from the pilot). It does give you a sense that the writers had some big ideas that they had in mind for the show from start to finish.

Even though I stopped watching the show in the past year, it's sad to see it go. I hope all involved find something new & fun to move forward with.
post #561 of 611 Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed the finale and was sad to see it go. I wish it would have been a 2-hour episode. Jacks trip thru the wormhole was great. I wonder if there was a clip from every show? And how about that dress Ali was wearing. Sssssmokin'.

post #562 of 611 Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Yeah, I think some of the feeling that it was rushed is genuine.

I gather they originally thought they had a season 6... so last week would have been the season 5 finale. But then they were canceled, and thought they were going to get a half season to tie things up... then that fell through and they just got the 1 episode. I think if they at least got a half season they would probably have revisited and tied up some other stuff.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #563 of 611 Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Yeah, I think some of the feeling that it was rushed is genuine.
I gather they originally thought they had a season 6... so last week would have been the season 5 finale. But then they were canceled, and thought they were going to get a half season to tie things up... then that fell through and they just got the 1 episode. I think if they at least got a half season they would probably have revisited and tied up some other stuff.
Sorry, I don't have that much confidence in writers and showrunners. I would guess either business as usual with the same panicked final episode, or a 2 episode story draaaaagggging out over a long, slow, boring season.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #564 of 611 Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Farewell Eureka, I will miss Alison, she was looking uber-hot this last episode, I hope she does more TV (preferably Showtime, HBO or Starz)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #565 of 611 Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Sorry, I don't have that much confidence in writers and showrunners. I would guess either business as usual with the same panicked final episode, or a 2 episode story draaaaagggging out over a long, slow, boring season.

Based on what, though? Writers and showrunners almost never know their show is about to be canceled until they are already filming episodes and structured the season. It is VERY rare that a show goes into its final season knowing that it is a final season. On those rare occasions, we usually get a stronger finale that has been planned better.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #566 of 611 Old 07-18-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I just watched the last two episodes today. Sorry to see it end. Was there any word on plans for a future SyFy Eureka movie or two?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #567 of 611 Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

My understanding was, that they rather sudenly announced that there would be no follow on season, but gave them one additional episode than was originally planned so they could write an ending.

Yep.  After the cancellation was announced there was a ton of fan outcry and SyFy was "kind" enough to offer up an extra episode for the writers to try to wrap things up.  Honestly I think they wrapped things up plenty good.  There really aren't any dangling major story arcs or anything, especially considering most of the series was "disaster of the week" type stuff.  And they set things up nicely for a movie or future stories should the opportunity to present itself.  All in all a great ending.

Scott
post #568 of 611 Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Honestly I think they wrapped things up plenty good.  There really aren't any dangling major story arcs or anything...
Except we'll never know the real secrets of Level 5.
post #569 of 611 Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

My understanding was, that they rather sudenly announced that there would be no follow on season, but gave them one additional episode than was originally planned so they could write an ending.

Yep.  After the cancellation was announced there was a ton of fan outcry and SyFy was "kind" enough to offer up an extra episode for the writers to try to wrap things up.  Honestly I think they wrapped things up plenty good.  There really aren't any dangling major story arcs or anything, especially considering most of the series was "disaster of the week" type stuff.  And they set things up nicely for a movie or future stories should the opportunity to present itself.  All in all a great ending.

I fully agree. Given the constraints that they were under, they did an excellent job. It was a very satisfying ending.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #570 of 611 Old 07-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Did I miss Stark? I thought (from the S5 previews) that we'd see him. I didn't see him except in Jack's flashback during the final episode. Did he appear somewhere else that I just happened to FF through?
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page