Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

It's still better than cutting from the race to show full screen commercials. Without full coverage we'd have missed Jr taking the lead twice

I fast forward though the side by side coverage or whatever they call it. So no it isn't better to me, it is more of the same. I refuse to watch commercials, even a small one. It is the same thing with adds on the internet. I run Adblock for a reason, adds are annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, well that is you. Those of us that were watching live, or aren't so hardcore against watching commercials, got to see Jr passing for the lead. Our gain, your loss by choice.
post #33 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 AM

Is there no pleasing people? I always here "wah, wah, there's too many commercials!" And it's true, there are too many commercials during a normal NASCAR broadcast. With the "Wide Open Coverage", the race stays on, and you are free to ignore the commercial if you choose. Yeah, the bar is a bit obtrusive, but it's not THAT much bigger than usual. Most importantly, the race was only actually off the air for what, 2, maybe 2.5 minutes per hour? As opposed to 15 or more... I'll take ads in race coverage over cutting away from the race any day so long as it was done right. I've never been happy with Bill Weber, but other than him I thought that this was a great broadcast. If they did this every week, I'd be pleased.
post #34 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Business as usual at T N T: w e k n o w s t r e t c hov i s i o n.

Bad news about going to ESPN/ABC---ABC takes over the races in i think mid-September and our local "affiliate" won't have the new tower up by then for local OTA HDTV.

Meantime, I'll enjoy the ESPN races when they take over. Good riddance TNT.

post #35 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

what does stretchovision have to do with this HD broadcast?
post #36 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pretty bad. Besides screwing the HD viewers with the bottom quarter covered the box ads covered too much of what remained. I found that impossible to ignore and finally had to just FFW past them. I would much rather see the dual window method they used during HD IndyCar races.

The constant plugs by Bill Webber was too much although it did give some warning that an ad window was coming. I lost a bit of respect for Kyle Petty, as well, with his shameless Coke Zero plugs. Why are they trying so hard to ruin the experience. $$ I guess. I'm starting to shift my preference to IndyCar and HDNets coverage of Camping World Series. The Camping World race at Sonoma was a blast.

I kinda wish they would have shown more of the trash throwing at K. Bush. I don't usually condone it but I just can't stand that guy. When it was Jeff Gordon, it was just people tired of him winning all the time. Kyle is a petulant child. I just want to slap that smarmy grin off his face when he's interviewed.
post #37 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I actually didn't mind the commercial scenario they had going. Any time you can watch the race during commercials is OK with me. The thing that really annoyed me is during normal viewing having 25% of the screen taken up for no reason.
post #38 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 02:49 PM

Just Horrible. Taking up at least 25% of the bottom of the screen with graphics. If you need to show the running order (why?) then put it at the botton of the screen , not in the middle. Playing ads in the middle fo the screen? you might as well just break for a commercial, since you can hardly see the race. The accouncer team pales in comaparison to Fox. Bring back DW.
post #39 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM

This thread proves that no matter what any network does to try and appease fans, there will always be people who whine about it.
post #40 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMAKER View Post

This thread proves that no matter what any network does to try and appease fans, there will always be people who whine about it.

I believe it proves that more on-screen graphics = more complaints.
post #41 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post

I believe it proves that more on-screen graphics = more complaints.

Sadly TNT wont do anything about it. They will probably just use the side bars and call it EXTRA wide open coverage.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #42 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd rather be labeled a whiner than just sit there complacently and let them shove feces down my throat, smile and say "May I please have some more".
post #43 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post

I'd rather be labeled a whiner than just sit there complacently and let them shove feces down my throat, smile and say "May I please have some more".

What an idiotic post.
post #44 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Capitalism rules all. Face reality.
post #45 of 58 Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

i'll take regular ol' commercial breaks compared to TNT's presentation...

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #46 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 AM

I completely agree. The race was just one big advertisement, more so than normal. Instead of having a commercial break every 15 minutes I now have to deal with a commercial every 3-4 minutes. I am still able to view the race but the adds are so distracting it really takes away from the real content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

i'll take regular ol' commercial breaks compared to TNT's presentation...

post #47 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Here's an idea...If you don't want to see commercials during a race then go see the race in person.
post #48 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Here's an idea...If you don't want to see commercials during a race then go see the race in person.

You commented on how idiotic one of the above post was, this is even most idiotic.
post #49 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 93 ? View Post

You commented on how idiotic one of the above post was, this is even most idiotic.

I didn't want to be the one to say it.

When does TNT stop broadcasting races?

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #50 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Their last race is this Saturday night. Then ESPN/ABC takes over.
post #51 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 93 ? View Post

Really? Why is that? Is it not true that the only way to completely avoid commercials while watching a race is too attend the race in person?

Listen, there are several message boards full of NASCAR fans whining about the networks and commercials. Now TNT broadcasts a race with only 17 minutes of commercial interruptions and people are still whining. It just seems that nothing is ever good enough. I don't know what it is but NASCAR fans seem to be the biggest bunch of whiners on the face of the earth. They have this sense of entitlement that is pretty much unbelievable. The biggest jokes are these so called "core fans" who like to whine about everything but never leave their trailers to actually attend a race in person.

And spare me the lame old "whining about whining" replies. It's played out.
post #52 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

Their last race is this Saturday night. Then ESPN/ABC takes over.

ESPN/ABC will evoke more even more whining. Until Fox starts and then people will whine about them. Until TNT starts and then people will whine about them. Until ESPN starts...

It never ends.
post #53 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know what it is but NASCAR fans seem to be the biggest bunch of whiners on the face of the earth. They have this sense of entitlement that is pretty much unbelievable. The biggest jokes are these so called "core fans" who like to whine about everything but never leave their trailers to actually attend a race in person.

Wow, even worse than NFL ST subs?

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #54 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 PM

I don't think any sane person expects to watch a race on TV completely void of commercials. I know I don't.

You seem to be hung up on these core enthusiasts, or whiners as you put it. I think everyone can find a happy medium. I commend TNT for trying the new format. It wasn't put together all that well, I guess it gives some people an idea of what it would be like to have more overall race coverage. From those I have talked to, they didn't like it and would much rather have the regular old commercial breaks instead.

And PS, my last Nascar race attended was the 08 Daytona 500. Wasn't by choice though, the girl friend dragged me there. It's all that damn Kasey Kahne's fault.

Quote:

Really? Why is that? Is it not true that the only way to completely avoid commercials while watching a race is too attend the race in person?

Listen, there are several message boards full of NASCAR fans whining about the networks and commercials. Now TNT broadcasts a race with only 17 minutes of commercial interruptions and people are still whining. It just seems that nothing is ever good enough. I don't know what it is but NASCAR fans seem to be the biggest bunch of whiners on the face of the earth. They have this sense of entitlement that is pretty much unbelievable. The biggest jokes are these so called "core fans" who like to whine about everything but never leave their trailers to actually attend a race in person.

And spare me the lame old "whining about whining" replies. It's played out.

post #55 of 58 Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM

It just seems that nothing is ever good enough. I don't know what it is but NASCAR fans seem to be the biggest bunch of whiners on the face of the earth. They have this sense of entitlement that is pretty much unbelievable. The biggest jokes are these so called "core fans" who like to whine about everything but never leave their trailers to actually attend a race in person.

And spare me the lame old "whining about whining" replies. It's played out.[/quote]

Do you really have to drag our trailer friends into this.
post #56 of 58 Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

ESPN/ABC will evoke more even more whining. Until Fox starts and then people will whine about them. Until TNT starts and then people will whine about them. Until ESPN starts...

It never ends.

Thanks much for that valuable input.
post #57 of 58 Old 07-09-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:

It never ends.

Well I haven't cared for the broadcast crews for any sports for some time. It is just not NASCAR. I will watch no matter who broadcasts it, but I only watch the tracks I like and the way things are going there will be fewer tracks I like if Bruton Smith gets his way.

You would have think NASCAR would have learned about not having cookie cutter tracks after baseball and football sent the cookie cutter stadiums packing.

I would like more short tracks and less intermediate tracks. There are 6 races on tracks that are almost identical, Atlanta, Charlotte and Texas. I like Charlotte because it has tradition, Atlanta should have never been reconfigured and Texas should have been built with a layout that isn't like other tracks. If they want to make tracks like another, copy Rockingham (better racing than most tracks and no longer holds a cup race) and put it in a location that is more favorable.
post #58 of 58 Old 07-09-2008, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The irony for me is that I DVR'd the race. Then they had hardly any commercials to skip so I ended up being exposed to more advertisements than I thought I would have been.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page