Flashpoint on CBS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 07-11-2008, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This show premiered this evening. Whats interesting is that it is set in the city of Toronto, and is actually a Canadian production, under CTV. Follows the events that unfold for an emergency police unit in Toronto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 07-11-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2004 View Post

This show premiered this evening. Whats interesting is that it is set in the city of Toronto, and is actually a Canadian production, under CTV. Follows the events that unfold for an emergency police unit in Toronto.

Cool I did not know that. I dvred the program already but this info raises my expectations a little. Have to watch Stargate Atlantis first though
post #3 of 84 Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Yeah ... I was wondering if this was an import that's already aired on Canadian TV.
post #4 of 84 Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I don't know. i watched the show.

I don't feel any more connected to any of the characters than I did in the beginning. They didn't seem to develop any characters.

I'll give it another show.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #5 of 84 Old 07-12-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I kinda liked it. A bit more emo than any cop show I have seen before. But seeing Veronica Mars father made me miss VM...
post #6 of 84 Old 07-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mostly, it seemed a waste. I like most cop shows but thus one ... bleeh.
post #7 of 84 Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 AM

Entertainment Weekly said the first episode was the best and it goes down hill from there. I haven't watched the first episode yet though.
post #8 of 84 Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Wow, I totally missed this one. I didn't even know it was coming up at all.

I sounds like I didn't miss much, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 84 Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I missed it when it premiered on Friday but its showing again tonight so will give it a try then.
post #10 of 84 Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM

well I thought it was pretty good. Ill tune in next week to see the next episode, but like most shows, I cant have a take on it till a few episodes in. They didnt do much in major character development, but i do have questions about certain characters after the 1st episode. Ill be waiting for episode 2
post #11 of 84 Old 07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I liked it though it's still too soon to guess whether it will keep my attention. But I'm somewhat a fan of Enrico Colantoni (Veronica Mars dad) and he fits the part rather well.

So maybe this could work.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
post #12 of 84 Old 07-14-2008, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

It was an odd choice for a first episode. If they spend the ENTIRE show dealing with one guy after making a clean shoot (and I question how authentic the post-shoot procedure was) then there is no way this show is gonna have any kind of body count. They have clearly set the precendent that shooting someone is a major event with severe emotional repercussions and a long beaurocratic tail. At this rate if these guys raid a meth house and shoot a few folks, the entire team will spend the rest of the season in therapy and driving desks.

So rather than an action cop show, this looks more to be a drama about folks who happen to be cops. The entire time my wife was waiting to see who Amy J.J. was banging, as she flirts shamelessly with everyone and no writer can ever pass up that tired cliche.

Anyway, I'll give it a few more eps to see if anything interesting happens.
post #13 of 84 Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

I watched the first 2 episodes and they were OK. The first 2 each showed a point in time (a Flashpoint?) during the crisis at the beginning of the episode, and the flashed-back to a few hours prior to that time and proceded. That ALONE will get old fast for me. I'll keep watching, as there's not much else on nowadays, but I don't see this staying around too long unless it changes formulas a bit ..
post #14 of 84 Old 07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

It has potential. I watched the second episode. It's decently shot, not as visually appealing as Numb3rs, but that's a hard show to be lined up next to for visual style.

It was a little heavy of a tug on the heart strings, and I'm pretty sure the hospital hostage situation story was told before in a film with Denzel Washington.

It sure as hell beat watching reruns of Law & Order.
post #15 of 84 Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM

I liked the first episode better than the second, but I think it doesn't have a good potential to be a great show. I think it would take them having the right events and they need to tell us more about the cast. They haven't done much imo so far in that area.
post #16 of 84 Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, the second ep didn't wow me much either. I can't really put my finger on it. None of the performances are bad, but something just doesn't sit right. Everyone just seems, I dunno, -smug- for lack of a better word. There is no edginess, no confusion, no panic. And the moments that are hectic, like the heart carrier showing up, are filmed so sloppily the cops just seem incompetent. How did the dad SHOOT a cop and not get smoked?

Mr. Iraq War would certainly be on his way out. I don't see how he could disobey a direct order on his first gig, resulting in a fellow officer getting shot, and still stay with the unit.

Anyway, it has until FX starts their tidal wave of shows (anyone think that tag line "Outside the Box" is a direct challenge to HBO?). Hopefully the writers will discover sublety and tension. It still feels like a melodrama hammered into a cop show.
post #17 of 84 Old 07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nah. I couldn't finish the second one. I guess it's off my schedule now. It just didn't seem to be going anywhere.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
post #18 of 84 Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2004 View Post

I kind of like this show. I thought it was far better than Standoff which had similar themes. I also liked the fact they spent half a show doing the follow up after an officer involved shooting because you don't see that done in such detail usually.

What is pissing me off about this show is that the producers seem so scared that US viewers will notice that it's shot in Canada that they are trying everything to avoid giving away any signs. The buildings are shot from off the ground, license plates are blurred, major landmarks are tiny and quickly off screen, no mention of the city on uniforms, flags or in words, neutral accents ...

The only evidence they can't hide is the maple leaf uniform insignias, but you would have to be paying attention and have a big HD screen to catch those.

post #19 of 84 Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The only evidence they can't hide is the maple leaf uniform insignias, but you would have to be paying attention and have a big HD screen to catch those.

Hah ... that's the first thing I noticed.
post #20 of 84 Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM

According to my DirecTV on-screen guide and to CBS's schedule, the third episode of "Flashpoint" will be on tonight (THURSDAY) at 10:00. It's swapping time slots with "Swingtown."
post #21 of 84 Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

I'm calling it quits. The mere thought that a SWAT team would stand around arguing while a cop is bleeding to death and the gunman is off in the bathroom dumping drugs is ludicrious. Not to mention calling the Taurus Judge revolver the "Juror" and playing up the rather puny .410 shotgun shell it can fire as a massive manstopper rubs me the wrong way.

I'll keep it on my DVR but unless the info says something along the lines of "After half the team is killed in an ambush....." I'll delete it.

I thought Amy JJ prancing around in skimpy clothes could interest me, but damn, everyone on that show is sooooo dull and she stays in tac gear far too long :P The format of the show is just wrong. Squeezing in character drama (and focusing on the revolving subjects instead of the cops) around a case just leaves everything feeling half-baked and poorly done.
post #22 of 84 Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post

I thought Amy JJ prancing around in skimpy clothes could interest me, but damn, everyone on that show is sooooo dull and she stays in tac gear far too long :P

LOL ... you do realize (per TVGuide) that she was preggers during the filming of this season. No? I doubt we'll see much skimpiness.
post #23 of 84 Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll keep watching

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

post #24 of 84 Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

LOL ... you do realize (per TVGuide) that she was preggers during the filming of this season. No? I doubt we'll see much skimpiness.

Well damn, that is what CGI is for!! She did have a civvie clothes shot at the end of the third ep and she had a little belly, but I figured it was just positional. Regardless, unless Michael Mann comes in to spice up the show, I'm done. Sad thing, as the actors all seem to be capable and the production quality seems good, but the directing and writing are very uninspired. Show needs zombies or something :P

Wouldn't that be AWESOME? Could you even imagine a show that started off as a straight up cop action/drama and then, with no warning, begin an oh slow slow transformation into a full blown sci-fi/horror show? Never work due to spoliers and ad confusion, but it would be an interesting stunt for FX or HBO to try sometime.
post #25 of 84 Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
So, is this going to become a "Jericho" reunion show? First it was Dale last week and now it was Eric this week.

Place your bets on who shows up next.

post #26 of 84 Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is anyone still watching this show? I didn't even realize it was back on because apparently I had two other conflicting shows with higher-priority.

I had to go back to CBS.com to watch the 3 I missed this season. I still enjoy the show quite a bit, and the characters have grown on me. I also usually enjoy the stories, and I do like that each episode is self-contained unlike many new shows (i.e. it doesn't matter if you miss an episode since there's no ongoing story).
post #27 of 84 Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Returns back with new-to-CBS episodes Friday, June 4th at 9PM ET/PT: http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/...n-june-4/8703/.

post #28 of 84 Old 05-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
These episodes have already aired last fall up here in Canada. If they air them in order on CBS, I highly recommend the first season 3 episode as it is quite a good one.
post #29 of 84 Old 05-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Returns back with new-to-CBS episodes Friday, June 4th at 9PM ET/PT: http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/...n-june-4/8703/.

I saw the announcement on CBS the other day. HURRAY can't wait.

JERRY
post #30 of 84 Old 05-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I LOVE this show!!!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page