post #2311 of 2358 Old 05-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCortex View Post

Two great shows? I assume you mean Chuck and the Winter Olympics. I guess Curling does make for some compelling television.

I'd rather watch Curling by Mister Muggles than half the episodes last season and 90% of Season 2.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2358 Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

The article says 'The much-anticipated Jay Leno Show'?

Is 'anticipated' another way of saying 'dreaded'? Or maybe 'schedule-sucking'?

That is a God awful schedule. If the CW could get its act together even slightly, they could actually bump NBC to 5th place. I don't see a single show that can crack into the top 3 of any hour on any night. Except Leno of course, but only because Fox and the CW don't have national programming in that hour.
post #2313 of 2358 Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

I'd rather watch Curling by Mister Muggles than half the episodes last season and 90% of Season 2.

I think that's being kind.

I'd rather watch Curling: The Musical, A Special Production by the Women of The View, than watch any of season 2 and 85% of last season.
post #2314 of 2358 Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

That is a God awful schedule. If the CW could get its act together even slightly, they could actually bump NBC to 5th place. I don't see a single show that can crack into the top 3 of any hour on any night. Except Leno of course, but only because Fox and the CW don't have national programming in that hour.

You're probably right about that; I don't see a single time slot before 10PM where NBC has a chance of getting #1 or #2, based on my assumption of what CBS will be offering.

However, that still doesn't mean it isn't the best approach from NBC's investors' perspective. It may very well be too expensive to engage in the warfare necessary to aim for the highest ratings. Given how little viewer loyalty there is, plus how little value there is in viewer-eyes these days, this may be the best year for a network, like NBC, to aim to pick the low-hanging fruit, and let the others waste their resources trying to out-spend each other to get those extra few rating points to lift one above another. Sucks for us viewers, but the economic environment and the myopic manner in which we viewers engage the networks may finally have combined to poison the pool so badly that what NBC is offering is the best we reasonably can expect to be offered, and that the other networks are actually wasting their money trying to be better than we viewers actually deserve, based on how much we contribute to the networks' bottom-line these days.
post #2315 of 2358 Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 169
From the Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...492768d5a53ca8.

"Heroes' " Claire Bennet is off to college.

The undestructable high school cheerleader will soon be hitting the books on a college campus where she will cross paths with a quirky student played by Madeline Zima.

"Californication" co-star Zima has been tapped to recur on the NBC drama's upcoming fourth season.

In a multi-episode arc she will play Gretchen, an edgy outsider and college roommate to Claire (Hayden Panettiere).

Oh boy, they're going there, aren't they?
post #2316 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
The addition of Madeline Zima to to the Heroes cast is exciting news. She was outstanding in her role as an underaged femme fatale in Californication and should be interesting as the "undestructible" (!) Claire Bennett's sidekick. I should add that it seems to me one will see such words as "boffo" and "actioner," not to mention "undestructible," only in Hollywood tabloids. That kind of writing makes me think of Hollywood as a third world country all its own.
post #2317 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Was the season finale of Heroes worth watching? I have it DVR'd and have yet to view it. LOL.
post #2318 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want to keep watching "Heroes" next season then yes, you should watch. Major plot twist toward the end that is still talked about today (in both positive and negative tones, mostly the latter) and is necessary so as to not be completely lost in S4.
post #2319 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Not sure how Claire graduated from high school. She seemed to stop going at some point, or at least was absent a lot.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #2320 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
^ Mr. Muggles was a really good tutor?

That is one of many questions best not asked. Probably not something the writers will even address in the continuity (did I really use the word continuity in reference to Heroes? )
post #2321 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Not sure how Claire graduated from high school. She seemed to stop going at some point, or at least was absent a lot.

There was mention that she took (and passed) the GED test.
post #2322 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So...her roommate will have a power and will somehow be related to Nathan, right?

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #2323 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

From the Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...492768d5a53ca8.

"Heroes' " Claire Bennet is off to college.

The undestructable high school cheerleader will soon be hitting the books on a college campus where she will cross paths with a quirky student played by Madeline Zima.

"Californication" co-star Zima has been tapped to recur on the NBC drama's upcoming fourth season.

In a multi-episode arc she will play Gretchen, an edgy outsider and college roommate to Claire (Hayden Panettiere).

Oh boy, they're going there, aren't they?

Unless Madeline boinks and bops someone, I think we'll all be disappointed!

(If you don't get that, go find a way to watch early episodes of Californication)
post #2324 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The addition of Madeline Zima to to the Heroes cast is exciting news. She was outstanding in her role as an underaged femme fatale in Californication and should be interesting as the "undestructible" (!) Claire Bennett's sidekick. I should add that it seems to me one will see such words as "boffo" and "actioner," not to mention "undestructible," only in Hollywood tabloids. That kind of writing makes me think of Hollywood as a third world country all its own.

Isn't that the truth though? They seem to believe this sort of Hollywood "speak" is cute. The way these lazy "writers" torture the English language is incredible. Only from some idiot Hollywood "writer" would you find a "word" like undestructible.
post #2325 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Too bad the plot wasn't "undestructable"

But... I'll give it a shot to start off on a better footing next season. It can't get worse... so maybe it will be better.

It's a weird show because it still has so much potential BUT at the same time, the genre itself is limited enough that I don't know how many seasons we could reasonably expect to be solid anyway.

As for Claire "graduating" high school... That whole thing was weird... because she was portrayed early on as more of a street-smart kid that would learn from doing, and not book-smart... so not portrayed as one who was doing well in school anyway... and the whole of Seasons 1-3 seem to have taken place in not too much more than 1 year's time.

So for her to change that abruptly to be able to pass the GED with little time to study what she hadn't encountered in school yet... seems unbelievable. While I could agree college might be a good place to "hide" her... I'm not sure how her character would realistically fare in that learning environment... then again, maybe she will attend as much college as she did high school!

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #2326 of 2358 Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread at the top of the 'HDTV Programming' page:

TV Notes
'Heroes' casts new villain
Robert Knepper joins NBC drama in fourth season
By Nellie Andreeva, The Hollywood Reporter - June 3rd, 2009

Robert Knepper continues his villainous streak.

Coming off a role as bad guy Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell on Fox's "Prison Break," Knepper has been tapped as the new lead villain on NBC's "Heroes" next season.

In at least six episodes of the series' fourth season, Knepper will play Samuel, a Jim Jones type -- charismatic but evil, with a twisted sense of humor -- who will veer into the lives of all heroes. The character had been referred to as "Carnival Barker" in the series breakdown released last month.

"Heroes" is slated to return in the fall for a "Lost"-style all-original run in a new time slot at 8 p.m. on Mondays. The sci-fi drama -- which enjoys a strong online following -- will share its time period with another fan favorite, "Chuck," which will take over in midseason.

Production on the UMS-produced "Heroes" is scheduled to begin later this week.

Knepper is perhaps best known for playing a character on "Prison Break" that viewers loved to hate -- T-Bag, a murderer, rapist and supremacist. On the bigscreen, he was most recently seen in "Transporter 3" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Knepper is repped by Fortitude, D/F Management and attorney Todd Rubenstein.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/06/will-...d-ratings.html
post #2327 of 2358 Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actors Ray Park (Darth Maul in "Star Wars Episode I") and Deanne Bray ("The L Word") in talks to join this year's "Heroes" festivities: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/06/...star-wars.html.
post #2328 of 2358 Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

^ Mr. Muggles was a really good tutor?

That is one of many questions best not asked. Probably not something the writers will even address in the continuity (did I really use the word continuity in reference to Heroes? )

Muggles is smarter than the whole family combined.
post #2329 of 2358 Old 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Filming for season 4 began this morning.
post #2330 of 2358 Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Good news for you at least. More steady work for at least the next six months.
post #2331 of 2358 Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Good news for you at least. More steady work for at least the next six months.

Yeah, trust me, I thank my lucky stars every day.
post #2332 of 2358 Old 06-22-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Bad news for "Heroes" fans, or at least those of us who were counting on Bryan Fuller saving the show:

Bryan Fuller has quit 'Heroes'
By Korbi Ghosh | June 22, 2009 2:12 PM

Though NBC has yet to officially confirm the news, sources very close to "Heroes" tell me that writer-producer Bryan Fuller -- better known, in my mind anyway, as the man behind "Pushing Daisies" and "Dead Like Me" -- has quit the NBC drama.
Fuller, who was a co-executive producer on the fairly well-received first season of "Heroes," left the show to run "Pushing Daisies" in 2007, but returned to "Heroes" as a consulting producer and writer when "PD" was canceled earlier this year.
It was the hope of many a "Heroes" fan that Fuller would help put the series back on track after its less successful second and third season.
Fuller, who has a two year deal with Universal Media Studios, will now concentrate on developing another project of his own.
My first thought?
Good.
Great things happen when this guy creates from scratch.
What do you think?

http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2009/...it-heroes.html

Rocky
post #2333 of 2358 Old 06-22-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
They've messed up Heroes so thoroughly it's probably too late to save it, whatever that means. It is sure to continue to limp along, taking up space.

CW Hinkle
post #2334 of 2358 Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Well, there goes my reason for sticking around.

I'll give them a couple episodes to see if anything's changed, but with Fuller gone I don't have much hope.

But like they said, a new Fuller-tv show? Count me in.
post #2335 of 2358 Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

They've messed up Heroes so thoroughly it's probably too late to save it, whatever that means. It is sure to continue to limp along, taking up space.

If the last line in the following post has any merit, it appears the death sentence for this show has already been passed, it's just a matter of finalizing the date.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post16700832
post #2336 of 2358 Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 PM

Liked: 123
As far as Heroes as fallen, after witnessing 2 minutes of Daisy of Love last night, I realized just how bad it could get!
post #2337 of 2358 Old 06-22-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread (note the underlined line below):

TV Notes
Fuller: Has He Had His Fill of 'Heroes'?
From TVWeek.com, June 22, 2009

Bryan Fuller has apparently left "Heroes"-- again.

The writer/producer has quietly departed the NBC drama, just a few months after he returned to the show with much fanfare, a person familiar with the situation said. Fuller is now focusing on developing new projects as part of his overall deal with Universal Media Studios, the insider said, describing the move as something which took place "a while ago."

Ain't It Cool News first reported the possibility of a Fuller exit via the Twitter feed of one of its correspondents.

Fuller rejoined "Heroes" with much fanfare toward the end of last season. It's unclear why he's now opted to depart again.

Just a few days ago, Fuller seemed very upbeat about the upcoming fourth season of "Heroes."

"What I'm excited about with season four is getting everybody back to the basic principle of ordinary people in an extraordinary world and how these characters are relatable to us and what we would do if we were in their situations, and really grounding it in that conceit," Fuller told SciFiWire.com, a genre website owned by NBC Universal.

The story described Fuller as "happily committed to 'Heroes'," and said the writer was spending his free time developing a comic book tied to his late ABC drama "Pushing Daisies."

The only sign Fuller gave that indicated interest in another project was when he repeated his desire to work on a new "Star Trek" TV series.

"I'm hoping that by the time they're ready to do a television series that I am available and can participate, because, I mean, even if it's J.J. Abrams' team, I would love to join that team for a new 'Star Trek' series," Fuller said. "I think it would be a ball."

NBC is moving to "Heroes" to 8 p.m. Mondays this fall. It's widely expected the network will soon announce a finale timetable for the show, which could wrap as early as next spring.

http://www.tvweek.com/tvmojoe/2009/0...-of-heroes.php

--------------

That's the first I've ever heard about NBC thinking about wrapping up production next season. With Fuller gone the show is toast creatively, IMHO, but I'll still watch. In for a dime in for a dollar I guess.
post #2338 of 2358 Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 PM

omg, i was in love with this show, but the last season was just horrible.
post #2339 of 2358 Old 06-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Yep, looks like it's "stick a fork in it" time. Heroes is too expensive a show to just limp along with steadily decreasing ratings, and cutting the budget will just cause a bigger defection of what's left of the original hard-core fanbase. Now we have Fuller jumping ship; the handwriting is on the wall.

Although I don't know why anyone is excited about Fuller "developing new projects" with Universal, least of all Fuller. 'Pushing Daisies' was flat-out brilliant on every level and look at how fast it tanked. Ditto the wonderful 'Wonderfalls'. There's no place in today's television world for what he peddles. They need to get him, Joss Whedon, and Tim Minear out of Hollywood and into a TV witness protection program for their own mental health.
post #2340 of 2358 Old 06-23-2009, 06:54 AM

how many episodes are written and done? 7? 8? his influence may be pretty far into the season already
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page