Heroes Season 3 on NBCHD - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 2358 Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Where's Mr. Muggles?!? He must be behind this!

This show is DONE. Fuller was the only hope they had to avoid the utter destruction that Kring and co. have done. Thank goodness we now have Fringe to give my inner-geek its weekly TV fix.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2358 Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I agree that Heroes slipped in Season 3. I will, however, say a word in favor of Season 2, which I have watched three-fourths of on BD. The plot is so complex and intertwined, not to mention weird, that it's hard to get to the bottom of what is going on in just one viewing. Thus, although I watched Season 2 on NBC, watching the episodes again on BD has been a revelation. I have been amazed at how much I had missed the first time through. By the way, the BDs look and sound great.
post #2343 of 2358 Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

Although I don't know why anyone is excited about Fuller "developing new projects" with Universal, least of all Fuller. 'Pushing Daisies' was flat-out brilliant on every level and look at how fast it tanked. Ditto the wonderful 'Wonderfalls'. There's no place in today's television world for what he peddles. They need to get him, Joss Whedon, and Tim Minear out of Hollywood and into a TV witness protection program for their own mental health.

Even if it's just for one season (Wonderfalls), or two (Dead Like Me/Pushing Daisies), it's still great tv. The masses may not like it, but at least folks like us who do get to savor true creativity, even if only for a short time.

Maybe he could survive on a TNT or a USA?
post #2344 of 2358 Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Well, at least the show gets recognized for the quality of the production values:

Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series:
Heroes - Cold Snap

Ruth Ammon, Production Designer
Sandy Getzler, Art Director
Ron Franco, Set Decorator

Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series:
Heroes - The Second Coming/The Butterfly Effect

Mark Scott Spatny, Visual Effects Producer
Eric Grenaudier, Visual Effects Supervisor
Gary D'Amico, Special Effects Supervisor
Michael Cook, Lead CG Artist
Daniel Kumiega, Lead CG Animator
Chris Martin, Compositing Supervisor
Meliza Fermin, Lead Visual Effects Compositor
Ryan Wieber, Lead Visual Effects Compositor
Diego Galtieri, Lead Visual Effects Compositor

It's the third nomination for our visual effects team. Hopefully the third time is the charm.
post #2345 of 2358 Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Grats to your team VfX!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2346 of 2358 Old 07-17-2009, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Well, at least the show gets recognized for the quality of the production values:

Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series:
Heroes - Cold Snap

Ruth Ammon, Production Designer
Sandy Getzler, Art Director
Ron Franco, Set Decorator

Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series:
Heroes - The Second Coming/The Butterfly Effect

Mark Scott Spatny, Visual Effects Producer
Eric Grenaudier, Visual Effects Supervisor
Gary D'Amico, Special Effects Supervisor
Michael Cook, Lead CG Artist
Daniel Kumiega, Lead CG Animator
Chris Martin, Compositing Supervisor
Meliza Fermin, Lead Visual Effects Compositor
Ryan Wieber, Lead Visual Effects Compositor
Diego Galtieri, Lead Visual Effects Compositor

It's the third nomination for our visual effects team. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

Congrats, was one of the episodes the flashback episode from the '50's?
post #2347 of 2358 Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Well, at least the show gets recognized for the quality of the production values

Congrats!

I'd point to the frozen parking garage (I'm not completely misremembering the setting, am I?) and what happened to Tracy in "Cold Snap" as maybe the single best set of visual effects I've seen on television. Definitely the best I've seen this voting year, at least.

kaydigi: No. "The Second Coming/The Butterfly Effect" was the two-part season premiere, and "Cold Snap" (the first episode written by Bryan Fuller since season one) came a few episodes before "1961", the episode you're thinking of.
post #2348 of 2358 Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

Congrats!

I'd point to the frozen parking garage (I'm not completely misremembering the setting, am I?) and what happened to Tracy in "Cold Snap" as maybe the single best set of visual effects I've seen on television. Definitely the best I've seen this voting year, at least.

Thanks. We submitted both the season premiere, and Tracy freezing the parking garage in Cold Snap. Apparently, the nomination voters thought that destroying Tokyo was the more impressive shot. Or perhaps they responded to the sheer quantity of shots in the premiere. I'm happy either way, obviously. But I was glad to see the art department get recognized for Cold Snap.
post #2349 of 2358 Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Congrats, VFX. If there is one aspect of Heroes where I could say the quality hasn't lapsed, it's certainly the effects work.
post #2350 of 2358 Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 171
From Variety: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

NBC also continues to more aggressively look to trim costs - having, for example, cut between $300,000 and $500,000 from the episodic budget on "Heroes."

"We just allowed shows to get too expensive," Bromstad said. "It's gotten out of control. We have to find a way to bring those costs down."

In previous episodes it was mentioned the per-episode budget for "Heroes" was between 3-4 million per episode. Wonder if this budget cuts will be achieved by thinning down the huge cast of characters or (gulp!) skimping on the FX budget. Bad news for vfxproducer if it's the latter.

post #2351 of 2358 Old 08-06-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Wonder if this budget cuts will be achieved by thinning down the huge cast of characters or (gulp!) skimping on the FX budget. Bad news for vfxproducer if it's the latter.

I don't think there will be any difference in the production values you see on the screen in any department. It's more about trying to figure out how to be smarter and faster and more creative behind the scenes.
post #2352 of 2358 Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ernie Hudson joins the "Heroes" cast: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f6839312aed8ce.

post #2353 of 2358 Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Ernie Hudson joins the "Heroes" cast: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f6839312aed8ce.

Here we go again, character bloat on "Heroes".
post #2354 of 2358 Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I read what must be a joke. That this season revolves around a carnival filled with powers that help the Heroes cast. WTF!?! The show is now Carnivale?!? Bwah hah ha haha ha hahaa! When does the season start? I've been spoiled watching all this good TV over the summer and need to get back to my weekly craptastic cheese.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #2355 of 2358 Old 08-24-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jayma Mays (Charlie from S1) returns to "Heroes" for one episode in Season 4: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/08/...rns-to-heroes/. Since the character was killed the only way this makes sense is if Hiro time-travels back before he met Charlie to try and save her (or a flashback).

post #2356 of 2358 Old 08-24-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

I read what must be a joke. That this season revolves around a carnival filled with powers that help the Heroes cast. WTF!?! The show is now Carnivale?!? Bwah hah ha haha ha hahaa! When does the season start? I've been spoiled watching all this good TV over the summer and need to get back to my weekly craptastic cheese.

At this point, nothing really surprises me anymore, when I couldn't figure out who was dead and who was alive week after week, I lost interest. I continued to watch, but sometimes it would be 3 weeks before I caught up. This may be the first SciFi type show I've given up. I just can't keep up with what is what over the season and what's worse is the fact I don't really care anymore. I just have no idea what is going on the majority of the time.
post #2357 of 2358 Old 08-24-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

At this point, nothing really surprises me anymore, when I couldn't figure out who was dead and who was alive week after week, I lost interest. I continued to watch, but sometimes it would be 3 weeks before I caught up. This may be the first SciFi type show I've given up. I just can't keep up with what is what over the season and what's worse is the fact I don't really care anymore. I just have no idea what is going on the majority of the time.

I watched an episode yesterday over at a friend's house on whatever cable channel replays the show. It was the one where Hiro get the vision of what happened six months before the show started (so before Claire ran into the train, before Arthur was "dead", when Sylar was learning to make kills with the help of Elle and HRG).

The amount of freakin retconning that took place in season three was sickening. It was painfully obvious that the writers ran out of ideas after season 1, and with the popularity of Sylar they had to invent a backstory for him that didn't make any sense. The show went downhill because they didn't have an endgame for a seven year series in mind, they just wrote each episode without regard for what the next episode required. I don't see this show lasting past this fourth season.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #2358 of 2358 Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I maintain that the real problem with Heroes is that they didn't stick with their original plan.

The original plan that would have killed Sylar dead at the end of season 1, and would have moved onto other characters in season 2.

I gathered the original concept was meant to shift the focus to others... but instead, they fell into the trap of trying to rewrite to keep the popular characters on the screen even at the expense of plot.

So then they were forced into corners... and the story suffered.

I think if they had stuck to the original plan, then they could have found out if that would have still been popular and fresh... and if not, they could slowly reintegrate "old" characters back into the plot in a way that made more sense.

Heck, they could even have brought back Sylar still if he was that popular... but if he'd been "dead" all of season 2 with a new focus, then the only one brought back in season 3 for a reprisal of the role, he'd have been more fresh then too.

In some ways they were a victim of their own early success.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page