Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2358 Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Heroes is going to have its usual high profile at Comic-con this year. I imagine people who attend should get a nice peek at what's ahead for season 3.

And for those AVS Forum members who attend Comic-con, I will be on one of the panels discussing Heroes:

Friday, July 25
6:00-7:00 Exceeding Expectations and Exploring New Worlds: Feature Effects for the Small Screen— Zoic Studios moderates a discussion with VFX supervisors on their passion for creating narrative enhancing, eye-popping effects for television. Some of the best in the business discuss future trends as well as their contribution to the television series Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, The Middleman, Lost, Eureka, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Smallville, and the new fall show Fringe. Room 32AB

Stop by and say hello.
post #3 of 2358 Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ali Larter is hott
post #4 of 2358 Old 07-18-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yes, but don't get pappy started....

Anyways, is Villains a spin-off or is it considered to be Season 3?

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #5 of 2358 Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

I believe Villains is the title of "Volume 3" (season 3). I think season 1 was Generations or something. Don't remember what season 2 was.

anyways, can't wait! two months to go.

I'm longing for a day when all severe weather coverage is on the subchannel...
post #6 of 2358 Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Yes, but don't get pappy started....

?

+1 puhleeeeeaze

John M
post #7 of 2358 Old 07-19-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincburns View Post

I believe Villains is the title of "Volume 3" (season 3). I think season 1 was Generations or something. Don't remember what season 2 was.

Season 1 was 'Genesis', season 2 was officially titled as 'Generations', but was referred to far and wide as 'Screwing the Pooch'.

Want one of many examples? How about that the most used phrase in a Heroes forum tended to be and it wasn't referring to Ali Lauter.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #8 of 2358 Old 07-20-2008, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

+1 puhleeeeeaze

Eye candy or not, you all know Nikki/Jessica/Gina/whatever the new personality we get this season is a horrible character, and it'll be a travesty if they have her somehow survive the fire that supposedly killed her. I know we see her in the trailer for Volume 3, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Volume 3 immediately follows Volume 2.

She does look great in the HD though, I'll say that.
post #9 of 2358 Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anything has to be better than the last season...what a total disappointment

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #10 of 2358 Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll remember Ali forever for that scene in Jay and Silent Bob strike back.
post #11 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 06:46 AM

I really cannot wait for season 3, I just watched all of season 1 and 2 again over the last few weeks. I have to say although I really down on season 2 at the time, it really wasn't that bad for having to wrap things up with the writers strike. I just would always forward past the Allejandro and Mya nonsense and it made for a more pleasant viewing !!
post #12 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Allejandro and Maya were the Jar Jar Binks of Heroes.
post #13 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

Allejandro and Maya were the Jar Jar Binks of Heroes.

Agreed that was a very lame storyline, even for 'Heroes'. There was no adequate introduction to the characters, and no plausible connection to the rest of the cast. And they never explained how Sylar ended up lying in the road right as their car drove up; guess they thought no one would notice the absurd coincidence. Extraordinarily sloppy writing, but that's unfortunately become a hallmark of this show. Even the true geeks don't seem to much care anymore.
post #14 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 08:08 AM

Are Seasons 1 & 2 must viewing before Season 3? Or, can I jump in now?
post #15 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley9208 View Post

Are Seasons 1 & 2 must viewing before Season 3? Or, can I jump in now?

If you're even remotely interested, then you owe it to yourself to watch season one.
Then, watch season 2 (if that's possible?) with one eye closed. It was a letdown. Not total crap. It had its moments, sure, but it was a letdown.
If season 3 sucks, then at least you got to enjoy the terrific first season.

As for Maya and her bro, they COULD have been very interesting, but they were presented in a completely UN interesting way.

****SPOILER********
I mean, c'mon, let's show them running and driving and whispering for a few weeks, THEN let's detail a pretty cool backstory where she killed a few hundred wedding guests???? Wouldn't that have been a better way to introduce them?
****END SPOILER********

I'm still waiting to find out about the cockroach.
post #16 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I have little recollection of this show. I hope they do a nice primer from last season.
post #17 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

...And they never explained how Sylar ended up lying in the road right as their car drove up; guess they thought no one would notice the absurd coincidence.

This is one of the few things I can defend. Everything (including real life) is an absurd coincidence if you look at things that way.

When you go outside and meet anyone anywhere that is something of an absurd coincidence. Consider... You get up today, go to the mall. At the mall you meet a woman who is from another city who just happened to be in town today and at the same mall you happened to go to. You and she strike up a conversation and become friends. Wow, what an absurd coincidence!

The truth of the matter is, in all movies and TV shows, they simply don't show you everything that happens to everyone. People aren't shown eating every meal or sleeping every day or using the bathroom every time that they must be doing it... Similarly, in the case of Sylar "happening" at the right place... They didn't show you other roads he walked across or other places he momentarily stopped to rest... they also didn't show all the time the "twins" were driving... and they didn't show you other people who walked right by Sylar and didn't stop, nor did they show you other people hitching rides that the twins didn't stop to pickup.

It's like winning the lottery. The odds are heavily against you winning the lottery when you enter... but when someone does win, it is not seen as a "coincidence" that the winner happened to pick the right number... just an inevitability that someone wins eventually, usually.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #18 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 594
^^^ Or, you can chalk it up to extremely lazy writing.

It's a rule of thumb that the more incredible and relied upon are coincidences with regard to character's actions and interactions, the less well thought out and coherent the plotline. Never was that axiom more true than with this show that once possessed such promise. They clearly got very lazy and complacent, smug with the show's massive buzz and ratings success, in the second season; and the WGA strike is no excuse for that.
post #19 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 11:38 AM

I often wonder if maybe they have a whole pile of unseen footage that will make the Syler/Mya/Allajandro storyline a fill in for the box release of the second season?
post #20 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Excluding the Allej/Maya storyline, and considering the strike, the season really only had about 6 eps worth of actual storyline, which felt dominated by Hiro in 1600s Japan. To me, that's probably why S2 feels like such a letdown.
post #21 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayt View Post

If you're even remotely interested, then you owe it to yourself to watch season one.
Then, watch season 2 (if that's possible?) with one eye closed. It was a letdown. Not total crap. It had its moments, sure, but it was a letdown.
If season 3 sucks, then at least you got to enjoy the terrific first season.

I'm going to have to jump in and disagree as the disloyal opposition here. Don't know what recerational substances you may have been enjoying at the time, but Season 2 WAS, in fact, a total piece of crap, and not just a letdown. Almost nothing made sense, which isn't surprising due to the lack of a comprehensible story line. The character's motivations were either truly arcane or non-existent, and I guess to back-up having named the arc 'Generations', they threw in some gratuitous parent-child connections which never led to anything meaningful (other than maybe Sylar and Ellen Greene).

And Heroes has much bigger problems now, than it ever did before, because it started out terrifically dark and uncompromising, only to be neutered by other forces. This summer has turned into the year of the Superhero at the box office and culturally, and the studios are noticing it. Almost every Superhero story has delivered big-time in terms of audience appeal and decent reviews(Iron man, Dark Knight, Hulk, Hellboy II, etc.), and I just saw a Watchman trailer at a DK scrrening, that looked really interesting. More than one somebody with half a brain in Tinseltown, is looking at this phenomena and saying "$h!t", without the constraints of big network B.S., this type of material handled in an adult fashion, could do gangbusters elsewhere, like FX for example.

I don't really care why Kring or NBC dropped the ball. But they did, and blew it big-time as a result. Give it to Jon Favereau or Kevin Smith, or hell anybody who's decent and has at least a little bit of artistic and commercial perception, and the Dogs of War will be let loose to the satisfaction of everyone at this forum.

post #22 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I disagree. I loved season 2. Thought it was excellent. Loved the story lines, loved Peter's story and his power regain, etc.

post #23 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I disagree. I loved season 2. Thought it was excellent. Loved the story lines, loved Peter's story and his power regain, etc.

Wow, you are easy to please. How did things work out in those last three Ponzi schemes you invested in?

post #24 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude, just because someone's opinion is different than yours doesn't make them an idiot. For the record, I thought Season 2 was weaker than season 1, but overall I enjoyed it. I thought that Alejandro & Maya were a waste of time, but I wasn't bothered by feudal Hiro. I enjoyed Kristen Bell, and am looking forward to more of her. For me, September 22nd can't get here soon enough. I do agree that Iron Man and The Dark Knight have kind of raised the bar for superhero stories, and I hope that Tim Kring and co. will rise to the occasion. I feel they could top Season 1 if they tried.

Rocky
post #25 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 03:37 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Dude, just because someone's opinion is different than yours doesn't make them an idiot.

It does if you're "The Palladin"

ron
post #26 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Dude, just because someone's opinion is different than yours doesn't make them an idiot. For the record, I thought Season 2 was weaker than season 1, but overall I enjoyed it. I thought that Alejandro & Maya were a waste of time, but I wasn't bothered by feudal Hiro. I enjoyed Kristen Bell, and am looking forward to more of her. For me, September 22nd can't get here soon enough. I do agree that Iron Man and The Dark Knight have kind of raised the bar for superhero stories, and I hope that Tim Kring and co. will rise to the occasion. I feel they could top Season 1 if they tried.

Okay, first, they could probably never top season 1 if they remain on NBC, because that's where the edginess of this show got neutered unceremoniously in the first place. Maybe some cable network instead, but then you'll run into the questionable issue of supporting the vfx budget.

Second, I didn't call William R an idiot, but I do find it frustrating when someone takes a position that flies in the face of the general consensus both at the time the show was on, and even now currently, without some supporting explanation, and that was the point. This place is all about discussion, and its difficult to discuss an issue when someone provides no basis for a controversial remark, particularly when it seems he is in the minority, for 'why' he likes it or not. How does one respond to it? 'Well, he says he liked it, so those of us who didn't must be wrong from the get-go??"

I see in the posts that those who thought there were problems identified what they were. That's different than someone who just says they "liked it" in a vacuum.

Similarly, in your post Rocky, you say you didn't like The Wonder Twins, and you weren't "bothered" by feudal Hiro". Isn't that about as left-handed as a compliment can get. Sounds a lot like faint praise. You weren't bothered by an arc in the show that the creative team expected you to like? Doesn't that mean that they pretty much failed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

It does if you're "The Palladin" ron

And last and certainly least, R11 has been making an ass of himself in any discussions with me for so long now, I can only imagine he's hoping that the forum will at least develop a point system for consistency.

post #27 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Really looking forward to season 3, but hoping NBC doesn't pollute the screen with their crap (bugs, snipes) that they're doing for other shows now. Hopefully being a high-profile show, they'll leave the screen relatively snipe/bug free....like how ABC leaves Lost clutter-free (for the most part).

If they pollute the screen, I'll just wait for the DVD/BD release.
post #28 of 2358 Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Okay, first, they could probably never top season 1 if they remain on NBC, because that's where the edginess of this show got neutered unceremoniously in the first place.

You might be right on that point, but even you put a "probably" in there. I guess I'm just being more optimistic than you, and hope that the producers learned from the mistakes (which they have openly admitted making) in Season 2.

Quote:

Second, I didn't call William R an idiot, but I do find it frustrating when someone takes a position that flies in the face of the general consensus both at the time the show was on, and even now currently, without some supporting explanation, and that was the point.This place is all about discussion, and its difficult to discuss an issue when someone provides no basis for a controversial remark, particularly when it seems he is in the minority, for 'why' he likes it or not. How does one respond to it? 'Well, he says he liked it, so those of us who didn't must be wrong from the get-go??"

I see in the posts that those who thought there were problems identified what they were. That's different than someone who just says they "liked it" in a vacuum.

Well, it was your comment about Ponzi schemes that certainly seemed like an insult to me. WilliamR did specify what he liked about season 2, and like you said, this is a public forum, he has the right to disagree with the prevailing opinion.

Quote:

Similarly, in your post Rocky, you say you didn't like The Wonder Twins, and you weren't "bothered" by feudal Hiro". Isn't that about as left-handed as a compliment can get. Sounds a lot like faint praise. You weren't bothered by an arc in the show that the creative team expected you to like? Doesn't that mean that they pretty much failed?

You misunderstand what I meant. Hiro spending so much time in Japan was one of the common complaints about Season 2, but personally, I was fine with it. Same with Peter's amnesia for that matter. I think that if the season hadn't gotten cut short due to the strike, that the length of those story arcs may not have seemed as big of a problem.

Rocky
post #29 of 2358 Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 AM

I think its a T.V show ! I like it but if you don't then go watch something else!!
post #30 of 2358 Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am so ready for Heroes to re-start...but I'll bet I couldn't even tell where the plot is at this point. I may have to break down and rent Season Two just to catch up.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page