AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a email from Dish. http://links.mkt024.com/servlet/Mail...MDU4ODUS1&mt=1

Moderators note:

Quote:

DISH Network(R) Meets 100 HD Channel Mark Ahead of Schedule; Announces Launch of 17 More National HD Channels
Introduces Industry-First TurboHD, the Only 100% HD Service, Available August 1

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., July 10, 2008

DISH Network today announced plans to launch 17 national HD channels, surpassing its goal of reaching 100 national HD channels five months ahead of schedule.
The new HD channels that will be added are:

-- ActionMax HD (DISH Network Ch. 313) -- HBO Family HD (Ch. 305)
-- CBS College Sports HD (Ch. 152) -- HBO Latino HD (Ch. 309)
-- Lifetime HD (Ch. 108) -- HBO Signature HD (Ch. 302)
-- Lifetime Movie Network HD (Ch. 109) -- HBO West HD (Ch. 303)
-- Planet Green HD (Ch. 194) -- HBO Zone HD (Ch. 308)
-- Encore HD (Ch. 340) -- Starz Comedy HD (Ch. 354)
-- HBO 2 HD (Ch. 301) -- Starz Edge HD (Ch. 352)
-- HBO Comedy HD (Ch. 307) -- Starz Kids & Family HD (Ch. 356)
-- Starz West HD (Ch. 351)

"In January, we promised our customers that DISH Network would boost our national HD channel lineup to 100 by year's end. Today, we are proud to say that in less than one year, not only did we deliver on our commitment, but we exceeded it," said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "We continue our pledge to DISH Network subscribers to add more national channels and local HD markets, as well as offer the best sports and movies in HD."

In addition, DISH Network is thrilled to introduce TurboHD, the first-ever 100 percent, all-HD programming package in the pay-TV industry, with advanced equipment that works on all TVs. TurboHD offers the most-watched HD channels in four separate tiers and can be viewed on analog, digital and high definition TVs, making it the perfect solution for consumers who have or are considering upgrading to HD programming. All TurboHD packages can include HD locals where available.

"TurboHD is revolutionary to the industry; we're changing the way people watch TV by offering them all of the top channels - in HD only - with the best high-definition systems on the market," said Jessica Insalaco, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. "When consumers add HD programming, their viewing habits change - they don't like to go back to standard definition - so their viewing switches over to all-HD channels. TurboHD will provide the next- generation high-definition television experience by offering only the best in HD programming and award-winning HD technology at incredible prices."

TurboHD Bronze: $24.99/month or $29.99/month with local channels*
-- TurboHD Bronze DishDVR Advantage: $34.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver

TurboHD Silver: $32.99/month or $37.99/month with local channels*
-- TurboHD Silver DishDVR Advantage: $39.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

TurboHD Gold: $39.99/month or $44.99/month with locals channels*
-- TurboHD Gold DishDVR Advantage: $49.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

TurboHD Platinum: $10/month - add TurboHD Platinum to any qualifying package and receive HD channels that do not have corresponding SD channels.

New DISH Network Digital Home Advantage (DHA) subscribers or DHA-24 customers (24-month commitments) who sign-up for America's Top 100 or higher, DishLATINO or higher, TurboHD Bronze or higher, or a qualifying International programming package will receive $50 off of their first statement and Cinemax for one year for just a penny. New or current DISH Network subscribers who commit to DHA-24 will also receive HBO and Starz free for the first three months of their subscription.

More information will be available at www.dishnetwork.com in the coming weeks. The new national HD channels and TurboHD packages are available beginning August 1, 2008.

DISH Network offers new customers the opportunity to upgrade for free to a dishHD DVR receiver like the ViP722(TM) - which recently received the top- ranking Editors' Choice awards from both CNET and PC Magazine. The ViP722 is a dual-tuner HD DVR that operates two televisions in separate rooms and offers up to 500 hours of storage capacity allowing customers to pause, rewind and fast forward their favorite TV programming.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

*In HD where available

About DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network, the nation's third largest pay-TV provider and the leader in digital television, provides more than 13.815 million satellite TV customers with industry-leading customer satisfaction which has surpassed major cable TV providers for eight consecutive years. DISH Network also provides customers with award-winning HD and DVR technology including the ViP722(TM) HD DVR, which received the Editors' Choice awards from both CNET and PC Magazine. In addition, subscribers enjoy access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, and a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry. DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com/aboutus or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Interesting: all-HD and VOD in 1080p. Recall some small start-up DBS firm announced upcoming 1080p delivery, too, at CES. -- John
Old 07-22-2008, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hmmmmm . . . .

Interesting.

1080p eh?

How is the bitrate? 6 mbps?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

How is the bitrate? 6 mbps?

Ahhhh, yes. And if it's 6 Mbps, what's the Mbps from the program sources, and would 6 Mbps be based on the best MPEG-4 delivery and actually roughly equivalent to 12 Mbps using MPEG-2? Hmmm, and if 6 Mbps would HDNet be delivering the same VOD programming in 1080i at ~17 Mbps active video with MPEG-2?-- John
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

believe it when i hear it from others

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Only available to NEW customers? That's pretty strange.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btokars View Post

Only available to NEW customers? That's pretty strange.

WHAT!?

That's absurd!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If it's new customers only, perhaps that's related to needing a special STB with both MPEG4 and circuits for 1080p VOD output. -- John
Old 07-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Page Not Found...

Seems someone made a mistake... Many, many mistakes...
Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I bet $100 space dollars that the 1080p is a typo.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

CycloneGt...i will take your bet and triple your space dollars with my schrute dollar and stanley nickel.... which doubles everything you have

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, it looks like I was wrong, the 1080p for VOD might very well be accurate, but just not until newer Dish DVR models arrive. Ahh, the pain of being an early adopter, I have a Component only Plasma.

But that's what I get for buying a Plamsa 5 of your earth years ago.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A brief Google search didn't turn up the original page outlining the "new" Turbonet service--only that Turbonet is some type of current add-on card. Being dropped from the Dish site might just indicate it was run too soon. Could have been a very well made hacker insert. Whatever...lots of opportunities for 'clever' it'll-never-happen commentaries. :-) -- John

Edit: Wasn't Turbonet but TurboHD (from updated OP); only used Turbo* as Google search term.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM

i would like to see the list of channels on the hd only...because even at 45-50 bucks its cheaper than what i'm paying now at direcctv 132...

i need to see what channels i will lose
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 PM

Are these new channel off of a new bird? If not then what is going to happen to the channels we have now, cause at this moment Charter hd is killing dishes hd picture quality here in N.C. I've recently been watching more hd and sd on charter cause of this issue. Dish is starving its channels now, whereas before dish had the best picture quality of the 2 that I have.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 257
This all smells like yet another attempt to extract more money from HD fans. First they charge you extra to get "HD" channels which aren't really HD, then they charge you even more to get "new improved" HD channels that may or may not be real HD. Oh, and you need new hardware too, to get it.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
First post updated.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 PM

So it looks like there will be all-HD plans with regional sports networks included.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Not that it means anything, especially if the page went away... and I hate getting into these "i vs p" debates... but...

I'm not aware of any 1080p at 60 fps being shot right now... The Blu ray discs being released are 1080p 30fps or 24 fps, and films shot on film are 24 fps natively.

1080p at 30 fps takes exactly the same bandwidth as 1080i at 60fps... 1080p at 24 fps takes less bandwidth!

So there's no reason 1080p at 24/30 fps can't be delivered in today's bandwidth.

Also.. no more processing power would be needed in the receiver. It's just a matter of whether code can be written for existing boxes AND if this perhaps might be limited to ViP722 since that is supposed to have the VC-1 capability which ViP622 does not have.

Anyway, maybe it won't happen.. but I can't think of any technical reasons why it couldn't be possible.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 AM

Well, the link in the first post appears to be working again but with a different page and layout.

However, clicking on the See more... link (on that page) does not work!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site; Alligator Lines!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ya, can't wait for 1440x1080p It will still be HD Lite, either not full 1920 and/or shamefully low bitrate. Here's an idea- bring back real 1920x1080 for all the HD channels and call it a fancy name like High Definition.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 AM
del
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post

i would like to see the list of channels on the hd only...because even at 45-50 bucks its cheaper than what i'm paying now at direcctv 132...

i need to see what channels i will lose

I pay 72 a month for just total choice and HD pack. Now that I have parted ways with Sunday ticket, it could be time to part ways completely. The key was having the RSN included. Where is the list of the different channels in the Turbo packs?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Silver and Gold offer the RSN (if they have yours in HD).

Only the Bronze (least expensive) lacks the RSN. And considering how RSNs likely charge a buck or two for carriage, I'm sure the cheapskates who don't watch sports would rather keep their $$$.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I see from trying the OPs emailed link again that the original ad mentioning 1080p for VOD, equivalent to Blu-ray, as they put it, is restored.

Agree with post above going into 1080/60p etc, and bandwidth requirements. Assumed the mention of 1080p VOD delivery (see OP link) meant at least 24p, not 1080/60p, as well.

Yup, you'd need program sources for 1080/60p, although a sublinked paper from a MPEG4 firm here suggests it's feasible for MPEG4 delivery. A sublink for another supposed upcoming DBS source for 1080p is also within that post. -- John
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRACING View Post

Are these new channel off of a new bird? If not then what is going to happen to the channels we have now, cause at this moment Charter hd is killing dishes hd picture quality here in N.C. I've recently been watching more hd and sd on charter cause of this issue. Dish is starving its channels now, whereas before dish had the best picture quality of the 2 that I have.

My question is along these lines. In that I'd like to see a list of channels broken down into two groups. To see which channels E* offers in MPEG2 and which it offers in MPEG4. I would also love to see the info on when and whether the MPEG2 channels will be transitioned to MPEG4. Any links or info would be great to see.

The timing of this roll out is perfect for me anyway, as TWC is planning to add 12 HD channels to our lineup after a mere 3 year wait. So this would be a good comparison opportunity.

Rudy

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)
Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would LOVE to have Dish or DirecTV offer just one full 1080p channel (similar to what BluRay discs output) so people with 1080p sets can see the full capability of what satellite and their TVs can offer. Just one channel. Damn, they could just play some BluRay discs and send that over the channel.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Looks like HBO hit the HD jackpot.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyG View Post

To see which channels E* offers in MPEG2 and which it offers in MPEG4. I would also love to see the info on when and whether the MPEG2 channels will be transitioned to MPEG4. Any links or info would be great to see.

Both DBSTalk and SatelliteGuys have discussions regarding this (I can't remember links off the top of my head) but everything I remember reading has been indicating that Dish has been looking to move all the old MPEG2 HD channels to MPEG4 by the end of July (the 8/1 launch of the new packages coincides)... and I gather current customers without ViP receivers have been getting calls about the "mandatory" upgrade they need so as not to lose their HD by the end of this month.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Both DBSTalk and SatelliteGuys have discussions regarding this (I can't remember links off the top of my head) but everything I remember reading has been indicating that Dish has been looking to move all the old MPEG2 HD channels to MPEG4 by the end of July (the 8/1 launch of the new packages coincides)... and I gather current customers without ViP receivers have been getting calls about the "mandatory" upgrade they need so as not to lose their HD by the end of this month.

Wow thanks HDMe2. This would be quite impressive if they were to pull it off. So I guess they resolved their satellite launch issues. Good to hear. We desperately need more competition in this area.

Rudy

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)