Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #3751 of 3764 Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 150
As I posted earlier, the whole idea was to essentially just say goodbye to the characters. They did a bunch by killing them and eulogizing them endlessly. The big problem was that this show really didn't have any deep characters that were interesting in any way so there was no emotional impact to me in killing Terry or Alcide or Bill. The characters, throughout this show, just existed to move the plot along and so they were good sometimes or bad other times without much consideration as to what the real character would do. The pairing of Sookie with some unknown (presumably human) guy really undercuts the whole fae issue. Supposedly she couldn't be with a human male because she could read his thoughts. Either the male wasn't human (shape shifter?) or the writers just said "nevermind" to an essential plot point since the beginning of the series. Essentially there was no reason to kill Bill other than to dwell on him and his boring flashbacks. The writers believed that the viewers had become invested in Bill and would follow his final trail even though the entire reason for it made no sense whatsoever. So other than the silly plot point of the Yakuza, there was barely any story to this last season and the story that did exist was dependent on you believing that Eric and/or Pam were unable until the end to wipe out the Yakuza which of course made no sense.

In my mind, the series, which wasn't that good anyhow but was at least entertaining for a couple of years, went out as limply and lamely as could possibly happen. If I was a network exec and saw these shows, I would tell them to either do it again or that the show would just end on the previous year's finale. It was frankly pitiful and I don't know if I was even able to watch an entire episode.
thehun likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3764 Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Essentially there was no reason to kill Bill other than to dwell on him and his boring flashbacks. The writers believed that the viewers had become invested in Bill and would follow his final trail even though the entire reason for it made no sense whatsoever.
I agree. I kept waiting for Eric/Pam to swoop in and administer a hypo of New Blood into Bill's neck before he became a pile of goo. What a waste to "Kill Bill." They could at least have had him appear at the Thanksgiving table with his family, enveloped in a golden haze or something. Hey, I actually liked the guy
post #3753 of 3764 Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Things I'll remember about this series, at first a witty look at vampires in a contemporary setting, with the parallels to gay rights.

And a fair bit of nudity featuring beautiful women, who were mostly extras or short-term cast members. Fitting since vampires have sexual overtones.
archiguy likes this.
post #3754 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I guess I don't get all the reactionary-hurt over "killing bill" and "faceless guy"

The books (which apparently the show deviates from A LOT) are still, yet, The Sookie Stackhouse Novels.

The TV show is The SOOKIE show. To move on and be happy, she HAD TO kill Bill, and the point
was not the specifics, but that she moved on and had kids, was happy, etc. Anyone but a vampire could
in principle make this possible.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #3755 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
The TV show is The SOOKIE show. To move on and be happy, she HAD TO kill Bill,
She didn't have to kill Bill. He could have just left.

Further, the storyline that Sookie couldn't get over being in love with Bill was invented for this season. The prior several seasons, she had no problem getting over him when he was behaving like a major a-hole to her (if not being outright evil, which he was for a while). Sookie was happy to fling herself at Eric or Alcide in his place. She even staked Bill in the heart when he was "Billith," and for a moment thought she was giving him the True Death.

In the final season, the writers attempted to redeem Bill, and in doing so, had to contrive an excuse to rekindle the great love affair between Sookie and Bill. But it never felt real. It felt forced and unconvincing.
archiguy likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3756 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
She didn't have to kill Bill. He could have just left.

Further, the storyline that Sookie couldn't get over being in love with Bill was invented for this season. The prior several seasons, she had no problem getting over him when he was behaving like a major a-hole to her (if not being outright evil, which he was for a while). Sookie was happy to fling herself at Eric or Alcide in his place. She even staked Bill in the heart when he was "Billith," and for a moment thought she was giving him the True Death.

In the final season, the writers attempted to redeem Bill, and in doing so, had to contrive an excuse to rekindle the great love affair between Sookie and Bill. But it never felt real. It felt forced and unconvincing.

Good point about Billith...the second staking doesn't have the same resonance IMO as the first. Worse, at least 75% of the final ep was like a bad Young Adult teen romance novel between their angst and the icky Jessica/Hoyt wedding. The show was definitely dumbed down to the Vampire Diaries crowd/Twilight level. It says something about Sookie's emotional maturity to return to the "greatest love story" about a week after her SO Alcide was gratuitously killed off for no good reason than plot development.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #3757 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Additionally, Bill's whole idea about dying was that Sookie would use her light and thus lose her ability to read minds and she could then have normal relationships and move along. When Sookie told Bill that she wasn't going to give up that part of her, Bill's idea was just stupid. It would no longer accomplish allowing her to be with a normal guy. If Bill wanted to die, all he needed to do was to sunbathe. There was no reason any longer for Sookie to stake him unless Bill wanted some weird sort of last intimacy with her.

In the books, Sookie couldn't read the minds of shapeshifters very well so the option was always there for her to get together with a shifter. Since only purebloods created another shifter (and only the firstborn), she could have a normal relationship with the shifter as long as she didn't mind her husband's shifting.

post #3758 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Additionally, Bill's whole idea about dying was that Sookie would use her light and thus lose her ability to read minds and she could then have normal relationships and move along. When Sookie told Bill that she wasn't going to give up that part of her, Bill's idea was just stupid. It would no longer accomplish allowing her to be with a normal guy. If Bill wanted to die, all he needed to do was to sunbathe. There was no reason any longer for Sookie to stake him unless Bill wanted some weird sort of last intimacy with her.

In the books, Sookie couldn't read the minds of shapeshifters very well so the option was always there for her to get together with a shifter. Since only purebloods created another shifter (and only the firstborn), she could have a normal relationship with the shifter as long as she didn't mind her husband's shifting.
Hence her ending up with Sam in the books. Would have made a much better ending without all the Bill-angst of the finale.

Who writes these shows?
post #3759 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Hence her ending up with Sam in the books. Would have made a much better ending without all the Bill-angst of the finale.

Who writes these shows?
I wasn't going to spoil the books. Glad you have no problem with that.

post #3760 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
I wasn't going to spoil the books. Glad you have no problem with that.
You haven't kept up with the thread? Those particular beans were spilled long ago. That's how I found out. I sure ain't reading the books.
post #3761 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The episode should have named, Kill Bill: Vol. 3.
post #3762 of 3764 Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I was told long ago, by a female book reader that the books were much worse than the show. That was probably around season 2 or 3. I never entertained the idea of beginning these books. I have no problem being spoiled

I think Sam would have been the best match for her, since they wasted Alcide. At least the books got that right.

Anyway, I hate Sookie, she's going to continue being targeted by vamps and she's going to continue being stupid and cry over every though she reads. I hope she dies soon. If she was smart enough to take Bill's offer, I would have just a twinkling of respect for the character.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #3763 of 3764 Old 08-30-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I was told long ago, by a female book reader that the books were much worse than the show. That was probably around season 2 or 3. I never entertained the idea of beginning these books. I have no problem being spoiled

I think Sam would have been the best match for her, since they wasted Alcide. At least the books got that right.

Anyway, I hate Sookie, she's going to continue being targeted by vamps and she's going to continue being stupid and cry over every though she reads. I hope she dies soon. If she was smart enough to take Bill's offer, I would have just a twinkling of respect for the character.
I liked the books and read them all. Sookie is a much better character in the books as well as many of the others including Pam, Eric, Alcide and others. I think the business they had where Sookie went to Sam and said that she thought they would just end up together and then was rebuffed by Sam (in the show) was a bit of a dig at the books.

post #3764 of 3764 Old 11-14-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayg View Post
I agree. I kept waiting for Eric/Pam to swoop in and administer a hypo of New Blood into Bill's neck before he became a pile of goo. What a waste to "Kill Bill." They could at least have had him appear at the Thanksgiving table with his family, enveloped in a golden haze or something. Hey, I actually liked the guy

This is waaaay late as I just watched the Blu-rays, but I kept expecting "Force" Bill & "Force" Godrick to show up, smiling/waving approvingly. As many others have stated, it's like the show runners just completely forgot what happened before.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page