'True Blood' in HD on HBO - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 3764 Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rhoq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

For those who weren't paying attention, he called the dog "Brother" in the first episode. One could interpret that any number of ways.

Interesting note. I was thinking that since it's been suggested that Sam is a "shape-shifter", he could just become his dog - which is why they would appear to be identical.
Rhoq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 3764 Old 11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member
 
AAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ding ding ding.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
AAF is offline  
post #363 of 3764 Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Natick MA
Posts: 17,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq View Post

Bill definitely knew. The only question is how did he know?

I think it goes without saying that vampires can sense "otherworldly" beings, etc. Now why and how would he expect Sam who seems to be able to transform into an ordinary mutt to protect Sookie is a whole 'nother question?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is online now  
post #364 of 3764 Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member
 
AAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Re: Sam and being a dog. I don't think this spoils anything, but to be safe.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In this universe a "were" changes into their animal (werewolf, werecat, werehamster) and only that animal, while a "shape shifter" has more options, or maybe many options. There are also a difference in abilities, for the weres, between those born and those made. The former can fully shift, and the later cannot.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
AAF is offline  
post #365 of 3764 Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cocoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought the first Sookie Stackhouse book several days ago. I'm 3 1/2 chapters into it at best it seems be PG-13ish. Does it change later on?
cocoon is offline  
post #366 of 3764 Old 11-04-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rutgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Going back to the incident in the Vampire Bar; I think the head blond vampire is a putz. He brought Sookie their to help him uncover who was stealing from him. And then he didn't do anything to guarantee her safty. And now since Bill protected her, he's in trouble for doing so. Vampire justice is pretty one-sided considering they are wanting to be accepted by larger society.

Rutgar is offline  
post #367 of 3764 Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Going back to the incident in the Vampire Bar; I think the head blond vampire is a putz. He brought Sookie their to help him uncover who was stealing from him. And then he didn't do anything to guarantee her safty. And now since Bill protected her, he's in trouble for doing so. Vampire justice is pretty one-sided considering they are wanting to be accepted by larger society.

The same thought occurred to me but I went along with the head blonde vamp's churlishness because that's the way of vampires, it seems. They are not to be trusted. That being so why is Bill such a good fellow? Perhaps it's because love does strange things.
gwsat is online now  
post #368 of 3764 Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Member
 
KorbenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Going back to the incident in the Vampire Bar; I think the head blond vampire is a putz. He brought Sookie their to help him uncover who was stealing from him. And then he didn't do anything to guarantee her safty. And now since Bill protected her, he's in trouble for doing so. Vampire justice is pretty one-sided considering they are wanting to be accepted by larger society.

Regarding that part in the book:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In the book, Eric instantly staked the bartender when he attacked Sookie. I'm guessing they changed it to add another subplot with the tribunal.
KorbenD is offline  
post #369 of 3764 Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member
 
AAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Re: The bartender attack

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And Sookie was seriously injured in the attack, in the book. Which introduced us to yet another type of supernatural. I was really hoping for a little person supernatural doctor with a wound healing tongue licking Anna Paquin's back!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
AAF is offline  
post #370 of 3764 Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Going back to the incident in the Vampire Bar; I think the head blond vampire is a putz. He brought Sookie their to help him uncover who was stealing from him. And then he didn't do anything to guarantee her safty. And now since Bill protected her, he's in trouble for doing so. Vampire justice is pretty one-sided considering they are wanting to be accepted by larger society.

I didn't read the posted spoilers, but I understood it to mean that vampires view humans as inferior. Meaning that vampires should never take another vampires life to save a human. Sookie doing him a favor would have no bearing on her status in that regard. Almost like a master/slave relationship.

I guess that makes Bill a more tolerant vampire.

Art
adpayne is offline  
post #371 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IrmoGamecoq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 4,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sam sure did turn into a fast dog, didn't he? I mean he left well after Sookie did...she was driving a car...yet he arrived around the same time she did at Bill's house. Maybe there was a shortcut through the swamp.

Eric has developed into a pretty intimidating character. When we first saw him on the throne in the bar, I took him as yet another wimpy Emo, angst-ridden "youth" but he's actually a big physical guy (bigger than Bill at least). I read some of his backstory, and so as to avoid spoilers, I'll just say that they cast his role well.

I agree with the fey vampire, Jason's new girlfriend is a psychopath. A beautiful, comely, and extremely alluring psychopath.
IrmoGamecoq is offline  
post #372 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Eric has developed into a pretty intimidating character. When we first saw him on the throne in the bar, I took him as yet another wimpy Emo, angst-ridden "youth" but he's actually a big physical guy (bigger than Bill at least). I read some of his backstory, and so as to avoid spoilers, I'll just say that they cast his role well.

I agree with the fey vampire, Jason's new girlfriend is a psychopath. A beautiful, comely, and extremely alluring psychopath.

I agree that Alexander Skarsgard, who plays Eric, is a pretty scary dude. According to the IMDb he is 6' 4"! I don't know how tall Stephen Moyer is; he plays Bill. I have noticed, though, that in his scenes with Anna Paquin he seems barely taller than she is, and she is only 5' 5".

I commented earlier in the thread that I really like Lizzy Caplin who plays Jason's psycho girlfriend. She gets more and more interesting. Dumber that a rock Jason also intrigues me. As clueless as he is, he somehow always manages to come up on his feet, usually with a lot of help from his friends.

EDIT: I just now figured out that the wonderful Stephen Root plays Eddie, the gay vampire. I thought that Eddie sounded a lot like Root but had discounted the notion that it might really be him because he didn't look much like Root, to me at least. Then I saw his name in the cast list for this week's episode. Who knew? I think his performance as weird Milton in Office Space was a comic masterpiece. He also has a lot of range, he appeared in a straight dramatic role in No Country for Old Men.
gwsat is online now  
post #373 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IrmoGamecoq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 4,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Alexander Skarsgard, who plays Eric, is a pretty scary dude. According to the IMDb he is 6' 4"! I don't know how tall Stephen Moyer is; he plays Bill. I have noticed, though, that in his scenes with Anna Paquin he seems barely taller than she is, and she is only 5' 5".

Yes, he's the son of Stellen Skarsgard who played a pretty intimidating Saxon viking in "King Arthur." Not his usual role, but I can see where his son got a lot of his acting chops.

I agree that Bill is probably pretty short, as Eric just towers over him. I'd imagine Jason is sort of a short guy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I commented earlier in the thread that I really like Lizzy Caplin who plays Jason's psycho girlfriend. She gets more and more interesting. Dumber that a rock Jason also intrigues me. As clueless as he is, he somehow always manages to come up on his feet, usually with a lot of help from his friends.

I agree that Jason is probably a good guy at heart (we saw some of that in this episode) but just makes some really stupid decisions, usually based on his emotions (we saw that in this episode too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

EDIT: I just now figured out that the wonderful Stephen Root plays Eddie, the gay vampire. I thought that Eddie sounded a lot like Root but had discounted the notion that it might really be him because he didn't look much like Root, to me at least. Then I saw his name in the cast list for this week's episode. Who knew? I think his performance as weird Milton in Office Space was a comic masterpiece. He also has a lot of range, he appeared in a straight dramatic role in No Country for Old Men.

Don't forget the terrific role he played in O' Brother Where Art Thou too. And News Radio. He's a great actor and nailed his scenes in this recent ep.
IrmoGamecoq is offline  
post #374 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Don't forget the terrific role he [Stephen Root] played in O' Brother Where Art Thou too. And News Radio. He's a great actor and nailed his scenes in this recent ep.

Yes, Root was particularly effective as Eddie, the gay vampire, in this week's episode. Nobody does sad humor better than Ball. Poor Eddie was a loser in life and now it seems he is also just as big a loser in death. I hope no one takes his Swingline Stapler away from, though; God knows what might happen if they did.
gwsat is online now  
post #375 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
 
jrcorwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went from liking the character for Jason's new girlfriend to wanting her to go away quickly. As if Jason wasn't getting into enough trouble on his own, now she is here to make matters worse. I just hope that when she (the character, not the actress) makes her exit from the show...it happens in a violent and painful way.
jrcorwin is offline  
post #376 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IrmoGamecoq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 4,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

I went from liking the character for Jason's new girlfriend to wanting her to go away quickly. As if Jason wasn't getting into enough trouble on his own, now she is here to make matters worse. I just hope that when she (the character, not the actress) makes her exit from the show...it happens in a violent and painful way.

I didn't particularly like her much in the beginning, mostly due to her new-age hippie mentality made my eyes roll into the back of my head...but she made up for that a bit later in the episode.

She revealed herself in this most recent ep to be particularly vicious and cold-blooded though (a contrast to the soothing nature she tried to portray with Sookie). She and Jason are certainly in the early stages of becoming the strung-out couple that attacked Bill in an early episode.
IrmoGamecoq is offline  
post #377 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IrmoGamecoq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 4,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yes, Root was particularly effective as Eddie, the gay vampire, in this week's episode. Nobody does sad humor better than Ball. Poor Eddie was a loser in life and now it seems he is also just as big a loser in death. I hope no one takes his Swingline Stapler away from, though; God knows what might happen if they did.

Maybe burn the place down?
IrmoGamecoq is offline  
post #378 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

I didn't particularly like her much in the beginning, mostly due to her new-age hippie mentality made my eyes roll into the back of my head...but she made up for that a bit later in the episode.

She revealed herself in this most recent ep to be particularly vicious and cold-blooded though (a contrast to the soothing nature she tried to portray with Sookie). She and Jason are certainly in the early stages of becoming the strung-out couple that attacked Bill in an early episode.

Amy, is indeed, both charming and ruthlessly nuts. We had better hope that Jason's friends can save him one more time because he sure as hell isn't up to getting away from her unharmed by himself. It would be funny if it turned out to be Eddie, the captive gay vampire, who saved Jason this time.
gwsat is online now  
post #379 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
 
jrcorwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Amy, is indeed, both charming and ruthlessly nuts. We had better hope that Jason's friends can save him one more time because he sure as hell isn't up to getting away from her unharmed by himself. It would be funny if it turned out to be Eddie, the captive gay vampire, who saved Jason this time.

Funny, yet not surprising. More and more when Jason opens his mouth or does something, I shout "idiot!" at the television. I hope he makes it through and I hope Amy gets what is coming to her.
jrcorwin is offline  
post #380 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
trbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Gainesville FL USA
Posts: 10,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Funny, yet not surprising. More and more when Jason opens his mouth or does something, I shout "idiot!" at the television. I hope he makes it through and I hope Amy gets what is coming to her.

Same here. I remembered him as an ineffectual good time charlie from the books but not so totally incompetent as on TV.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
trbarry is offline  
post #381 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM
DDD
Senior Member
 
DDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Melissa, TX
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

I bought the first Sookie Stackhouse book several days ago. I'm 3 1/2 chapters into it at best it seems be PG-13ish. Does it change later on?

Pretty tame series. You need to read Laura K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series to get the down and dirty!
DDD is online now  
post #382 of 3764 Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cocoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post

Pretty tame series. You need to read Laura K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series to get the down and dirty!

Ok.

Thanks
cocoon is offline  
post #383 of 3764 Old 11-09-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 4,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, I really HATED tonight's episode ................... I wish I had not seen it...
Cain is offline  
post #384 of 3764 Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

OK, I really HATED tonight's episode ................... I wish I had not seen it...

Interesting, I thought it was great tonight, I think the series just gets better every episode. We had a little bit of everything tonight. I hate that we only have two more shows before the season ends.
rebkell is online now  
post #385 of 3764 Old 11-09-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I thought it was good, and I agree, it does keep getting better and better. Easily my No.1 new show on the season, hands down.

Best line of the episode, Sookie to Sam: "STFU!", I was rolling, that was hilarious!
Keenan is offline  
post #386 of 3764 Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 AM
 
jrcorwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought it was good, and I agree, it does keep getting better and better. Easily my No.1 new show on the season, hands down.

Best line of the episode, Sookie to Sam: "STFU!", I was rolling, that was hilarious!

Agreed. It was great!
jrcorwin is offline  
post #387 of 3764 Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 AM
 
jrcorwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

OK, I really HATED tonight's episode ................... I wish I had not seen it...

Why didn't you like it?
jrcorwin is offline  
post #388 of 3764 Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member
 
AAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fans of the books may have trouble reconciling the direction the TV show is taking.

It's interesting to see how the HBO writers have decided to play in Sookie's world. I don't care for the way they've adapted the vampire's society plot line but it's interesting.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
AAF is offline  
post #389 of 3764 Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 4,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It seemed mean spirited, hopeless and at times sadistic to me.
Cain is offline  
post #390 of 3764 Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rutgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

It seemed mean spirited, hopeless and at times sadistic to me.

Well, it is about Vampires...

Rutgar is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off