Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 3702 Old 11-24-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
All in all an OK show for me, that's it. I'm not anxious for season 2, odds are I will watch it, it's on in the summer when little else is. I am much more connected with Weeds, I AM anxiously waiting for that show to return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3702 Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

What I don't get is why Sookie and Sam went to that other city and got the cop to fax a picture of the brother that killed his sister,

It would appear that neither of the surviving Stackhouses are what you would call the sharpest tool(s) in the shed. In fact, once you get past the telepathic gift, Sookie is about as dumb as they make 'em.
post #543 of 3702 Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 108
BTW, did anyone else notice the horrible blocking during the climatic chase scene through the graveyard? ... a flashback to the old HDLite days? ... Or damaged from the source (HBO)? It was present on both MP4 east and west feeds.
post #544 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

BTW, did anyone else notice the horrible blocking during the climatic chase scene through the graveyard? ... a flashback to the old HDLite days? ... Or damaged from the source (HBO)? It was present on both MP4 east and west feeds.

I see the macroblocking way too much now. Although I can't tell if it's the source or just Comcast adding more worthless HD channels which eat up more bandwidth. HBO never used to be as bad as it is now, at least for me. When I say "bad", it's not NBC sports "bad", just more macroblocking during fast movement scenes.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #545 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I found the finale very good...TrueBlood is my favorite series currently on TV right now (admittedly, it doesn't have a lot of competition until Lost comes back next year).

Appreciate the long review up a few pages...I agree with most of what the poster said.

I saw a few posts conjecturing on Lafayette's killer and who Bill fed on. Based on the timing, it could NOT have been his "charge" because she didn't show up with Eric until after Lafayette was shown to be attacked and Bill had fed and recovered himself. Based on the timing, it seems to point to Bill.

However, I wouldn't put it past this show to have it be something/one else. I even think the PTSD guy is harboring a secret and suspect he might be a werewolf. I also wonder if the politician that Lafayette was attempting to blackmail might have arranged for his murder. Of course, all this could be offbase if that wasn't Lafayette's painted toes (eww) in the back of Andy's police car.

Looking forward to the show's return next summer. In the meantime, I'll catch the reruns here and there and I'll look to download the opening song from iTunes.
post #546 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Btw - I found the Rene "outing" to be pretty good. There WERE hints that he was the killer if you paid attention. He was always asking if so and so was a "vampire lover" in one way or another.

But, I liked most that they showed he was faking his accent...I remember posting in this thread early on that I liked his accent and the character in general. Nice switcheroo there.
post #547 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

But, I liked most that they showed he was faking his accent...I remember posting in this thread early on that I liked his accent and the character in general. Nice switcheroo there.

I absolutely agree. The change in his accent was great.
post #548 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If Rene did kill Jason's recent hippie girlfriend (forgot her name), the question is why? She was far from being a fang banger, especially after she convinced Jason to kidnap the helpless vampire and keep him in Jason's basement.
post #549 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

If Rene did kill Jason's recent hippie girlfriend (forgot her name), the question is why? She was far from being a fang banger, especially after she convinced Jason to kidnap the helpless vampire and keep him in Jason's basement.

She was taking V and Jason found her in a Vampire bar, and he wasn't sure she hadn't been banging Vamps, that whole conversation at the truck right before it happened. Jason pretty much painted her as a Vamp admirer, I thought she fit the mold pretty well, at least on the limited info Rene had.
post #550 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

He could have done it to put the nail Jason's coffin and have him jailed and convicted on all the murders.

David M.
post #551 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

All in all an OK show for me, that's it. I'm not anxious for season 2, odds are I will watch it, it's on in the summer when little else is. I am much more connected with Weeds, I AM anxiously waiting for that show to return.

how dare you post something negative about this show. i did it yesterday and was called a troll.
post #552 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

how dare you post something negative about this show. i did it yesterday and was called a troll.

If the shoe fits...
post #553 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

If the shoe fits...

Why is it that a few here just cannot accept that not everyone agrees with their reviews? You've posted your opinion. Now, give everyone else a bit of respect as well.
post #554 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Why is it that a few here just cannot accept that not everyone agrees with their reviews? You've posted your opinion. Now, give everyone else a bit of respect as well.

I never said I didn't agree with your opinion. I questioned your motives and intentions. Everyone had moved on until your snarky comment appeared earlier.

You claimed you weren't a troll and then posted a comment that is typical of...well...a troll. Just leave it alone and move on.
post #555 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I think you received the welcome you did by coming in and saying that you almost had to force yourself to watch the show. If you were like most of us, and enjoyed the show, but maybe didn't like a certain episode, or the direction it was going in; your criticism would be taken more seriously.

I don't understand why some people have to search out others to tell them what they like isn't very good.

Art
post #556 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

You are acting like a troll now in that you said you hate the show, it is horrible, had to force yourself to watch, yet you are still posting in here. Sorry, but that sounds like a troll to me. If you hate it that much then you should not be posting in here about it. These people are trying to discuss the show because they like it. If you hate it so much and are not going to watch it, there is no reason to post in here. You are not going to watch another episode, what is the point of staying and posting in here? I think that is why you are getting attacked so much.

post #557 of 3702 Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

TruBlood is a mediocre series at best. I found myself fast forwarding through many of the scenes. I never looked foward to it and had to force myself to watch it.

It was by far my favorite new show of the season. And I never force myself to watch anything though I'll sometimes finish the first couple episodes of a questionable show to see if it is going to turn into something.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I can't wait for next year.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #558 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

You are acting like a troll now in that you said you hate the show, it is horrible, had to force yourself to watch, yet you are still posting in here. Sorry, but that sounds like a troll to me. If you hate it that much then you should not be posting in here about it. These people are trying to discuss the show because they like it. If you hate it so much and are not going to watch it, there is no reason to post in here. You are not going to watch another episode, what is the point of staying and posting in here? I think that is why you are getting attacked so much.

I can't help but agree. When, week after week, somebody comes back to a thread about a popular show to say that they hate it, the clear inference is that they are doing it to get a rise out of the majority of posters who like the show. That fits my definition of a troll to a T.
post #559 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Another aspect of the defnition is attention-seeking, so let's move on and just discuss the show.

So far, we have mindreaders, shapeshifters and vampires in the True Blood universe. Besides werewolves, what else do you expect to see in the future? If you're pulling your speculation from the book, be kind and place those in spoilers.
post #560 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

It was by far my favorite new show of the season. And I never force myself to watch anything though I'll sometimes finish the first couple episodes of a questionable show to see if it is going to turn into something.

Same thing happened to me. I didn't like the first two episodes of "True Blood" at all (way too weird and sadistic) but there was something that kept me compelled to give it one more shot. Episode 5, when Bill spoke to the group of southern pride event about his life (and we witnessed how he became a vampire), is what sealed the deal for me and made me realize there was more to this show than gratuitous sex and gore galore. It just kept getting better and better from there.
post #561 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Thought it was a great choice to have "Christine's Tune (Devil in Disguise)" by Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Bros playing on the radio while taking Sookie home.
post #562 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Same thing happened to me. I didn't like the first two episodes of "True Blood" at all (way too weird and sadistic) but there was something that kept me compelled to give it one more shot. Episode 5, when Bill spoke to the group of southern pride event about his life (and we witnessed how he became a vampire), is what sealed the deal for me and made me realize there was more to this show than gratuitous sex and gore galore. It just kept getting better and better from there.

Ball's other HBO show, Six Feet Under, was the same way. It kept getting better and better.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #563 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Add me to that same scenario also. Watched part of episode 3 for about 10 mins and changed to something else. Fast forward to the next Sunday I watched episode 4 and liked it. I missed episode 5 due to not setting my DVR but have followed every episode since then. It must be me, I did the same thing the first season of Dexter also!

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #564 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Add me to that same scenario also. Watched part of episode 3 for about 10 mins and changed to something else. Fast forward to the next Sunday I watched episode 4 and liked it. I missed episode 5 due to not setting my DVR but have followed every episode since then. It must be me, I did the same thing the first season of Dexter also!

I watched them all, but it took me til about the 4th episode before I got totally hooked. Dexter, I was the same way, I thought the first season was just so-so for the first 4 or 5 episodes also, then it grabbed me and I was hooked on it.
post #565 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dad -- I agree that the show just keeps getting better. I particularly like Bill, the gentleman vampire. Stephen Moyer, who plays Bill, has done a marvelous job. I have to keep reminding myself that he is a Brit, not a real southerner.
post #566 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I love the way Moyer says 'Suuuuuukie' as if he has a tomato stuck in his mouth. I catch myself saying it outloud at the office to the annoyance of my co-workers.

Speaking of... whatever, "True Blood" is now officially a bonafide HBO hit. From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread:

Cable Nielsen Notes
HBO Draws 2.4 Million For `True Blood' Finale
Series Wraps Premiere Season With Strong Ratings
By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News, 11/25/2008

More than 2 million viewers sampled the Nov. 23 finale of HBO's vampire-tinged True Blood drama series.

The series, based on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels with Anna Paquin in that role, averaged 2.4 million viewers in its finale, nearly double the 1.4 million viewers for the show's Sept. 7 premiere, according to the network. Overall the series, which also stars, which also stars as Stephen Moyer as Sookie's vampire love interest Bill Compton, sucked up an average of 2.2 million viewers during its 13-episosde run.

HBO is hoping the cume showings of the finale will exceed the 7 million viewers the show is averaging thus far.

HBO has already ramped up production for True Blood's sophomore season.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6617782.html
post #567 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I can't help but agree. When, week after week, somebody comes back to a thread about a popular show to say that they hate it, the clear inference is that they are doing it to get a rise out of the majority of posters who like the show. That fits my definition of a troll to a T.

never said i hated it
never came back week after week
watched the final ep yesterday and thought it was the best of the season
i will give season 2 a chance
simply posting my opinion
sorry i did not agree with the fanboys or should i say fang boys
post #568 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Dad -- I agree that the show just keeps getting better. I particularly like Bill, the gentleman vampire. Stephen Moyer, who plays Bill, has done a marvelous job. I have to keep reminding myself that he is a Brit, not a real southerner.

The accents are closer sometimes than you think! My S/O is English and wonder if the southern accent didn't originate from some piss drunk Brit that stayed here after the war.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #569 of 3702 Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I managed to catch up on the 8 or so episodes stuck on my DVR last weekend. End result - my feelings didn't change from my earlier comments. I like Sookie and I don't mind Bill but I find all the other vampires just comically bad.

I'm also tired of almost every vampire show having to have a form of hierarchy and caste system. I just find it all really cliched. It's like a big social Vampire Club with silly Goth-teen rituals.

If the show was just Bill, Sookie and the oddball characters in the town I'd probably like it, but the other vampires just turn me off so I'll pass on this next season.

It's fun to see the Generation Kill cast popping up all over now.

post #570 of 3702 Old 11-27-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

The accents are closer sometimes than you think! My S/O is English and wonder if the southern accent didn't originate from some piss drunk Brit that stayed here after the war.

I agree that British actors uniformly do good southern accents, going back to Vivien Leigh in her Oscar winning performance as Scarlet O'Hara in Gone With the Wind.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page