Josh
PSN: lax01
post #633 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"We recycle here."

I thought it was a great episode. Lafayette and the others turning that bizarre wheel in the basement of Fangtasia? What's that all about? Obviously it goes back to Eric's promise to seek revenge against those that have harmed vampires. And bad move by the redneck trying to take out Eric.

And who ripped Miss Jeanette's heart out? A human probably couldn't have done that.

They hinted at an upcoming human/vampire war. I think Jason is on his way to being a leading solider (blade?) in that war.

And oh my Sookie...
post #634 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Oh man Sook...she's so steamy.

Who was that woman turning the "thing" in that basement?

huh?
post #635 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Wow last nights show really went far from the book series. I'll point out some of the differences below just from last nights show to the book if any are interested. Since it is differing from the show I dont think its spoiling anything but i'll put it in a spoiler tag just in case.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

01) In the book Lafayette is the corpse found dead in Andy's car.

02) In the book Erick killed the vamp bartender (season one) so that whole Bill making a new vamp never happened.

03) Jason was never on V in the book so the subplot with him an the fellowship of the sun is new to the show

04) Tara being exorcised also did not happen in the books nor did she take up with this Maryann, so im not sure where thats going

Im defintely enjoying both storylines but it is like seeing forks in the road and wondering if theyll go off in there own direction permanently or eventually wind up tying back in or not.
post #636 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 562
I enjoyed the episode, too. The steamy love scene between Skokie and Bill was terrific, simultaneously erotic and creepy. Nobody does that kind of thing better than Alan Ball.

I didn't sort out that it was Lafayette in Eric's dungeon until about the third time I saw him there. He didn't look the same in that environment as he had last season, which, I suppose, should have come as no surprise.

Nobody does a better job than Michelle Forbes of playing a domineering beauty of a certain age. She is doing it again here as Maryann. She is a SCARY lady! Forbes was great during her brief run on Battlestar Galactica as the vicious and out of control Admiral Helena Cain.
post #637 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
In some ways I do wish they'd stick closer to the books (meaning, for me, a lot less Jason), but not knowing what's going to happen makes it more interesting in some ways, I guess.

I wonder if they are going to get into the revelations about Sookie and Jason that were in the later books, and if those will be kept for later or revealed more quickly.
post #638 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Looking forward to more of the Maenad story, or what ever she is in AB's script. I've had em' vibrate, but not like that
post #639 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
DDD

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

Wow last nights show really went far from the book series. I'll point out some of the differences below just from last nights show to the book if any are interested. Since it is differing from the show I dont think its spoiling anything but i'll put it in a spoiler tag just in case.

Spoiler  

01) In the book Lafayette is the corpse found dead in Andy's car.

02) In the book Erick killed the vamp bartender (season one) so that whole Bill making a new vamp never happened.

03) Jason was never on V in the book so the subplot with him an the fellowship of the sun is new to the show

04) Tara being exorcised also did not happen in the books nor did she take up with this Maryann, so im not sure where thats going

Im defintely enjoying both storylines but it is like seeing forks in the road and wondering if theyll go off in there own direction permanently or eventually wind up tying back in or not.

Knowing both also, I agree.
post #640 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's a small pleasure, but loved the humor of big bad Erick coming to the dungeon for the next victim with highlight foil in his hair. A vamp has to keep up appearances, right?
post #641 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

It's a small pleasure, but loved the humor of big bad Erick coming to the dungeon for the next victim with highlight foil in his hair. A vamp has to keep up appearances, right?

I found that amusing as well. I was like WTF, the Alpha Vamp is getting Highlights.. lol

PSN Forensics80
post #642 of 3764 Old 06-15-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 View Post

I found that amusing as well. I was like WTF, the Alpha Vamp is getting Highlights.. lol

It's sad that you know what they were...I thought he was keeping aliens from reading his mind . I got my highlights the natural way .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #643 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

It's sad that you know what they were

Unless you've never been around women or live in a cave, you should know what they were!
post #644 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Unless you've never been around women or live in a cave

You know what website this is, right?
post #645 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreb View Post

Lafayette and the others turning that bizarre wheel in the basement of Fangtasia? What's that all about?

I'm guessing it's the equivalent of a hamster wheel.
post #646 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The steamy love scene between Skokie and Bill was terrific, simultaneously erotic and creepy.

I was floored to see Anna do another nude scene this season. In most HBO/SHOWTIME series I've watched, the better known actresses usually do one or two at the beginning of the series, and then never again. (Polly Walker, etc.)

I didn't recognize Lafayette either until he spoke. Must be the lack of eye makeup and lip gloss.

This series has the most use of directional effects I've ever heard. I watch in a small dedicated totally black room, and some of the surround activity actually made me jump.

My favorite show on TV right now!

Art
post #647 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

you know what website this is, right?

lol
post #648 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

GREAT episode and a very cool ending I didn't expect it to be Eric coming down the stairs. I'm trying to figure out who the woman was (might have been the woman who knew the bartender was stealing?) and who the guy was that yelled for the bucket.
post #649 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

Up I will grant you, but out, eh, not so much. There are a few other women on this show I'd rather see nekkid, if I had my druthers.

Starting with Tara. That girl is just teasing us now.
post #650 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

I'd start with the preacher's wife. I'm hoping Jason can hit that a time or two
post #651 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I still need to catch up with this season. It's an ok show.
post #652 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

I'd start with the preacher's wife. I'm hoping Jason can hit that a time or two

I agree and I think they will get into the hypocrisy of megachurches soon enough. They already started with them looking for Jason to give them $1200, I doubt it will end there.
post #653 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Yea, if it wasn't for the whole sunshine thing, I'd think the preacher was a vamp. Just like how the real preachers that go on and on about gays always get caught with there pants down at a rest stop.
post #654 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphhh View Post

Yea, if it wasn't for the whole sunshine thing, I'd think the preacher was a vamp. Just like how the real preachers that go on and on about gays always get caught with there pants down at a rest stop.

Or a fang-banger, which is prolly more likely. And/or a "V" distribution ring.
post #655 of 3764 Old 06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 265
post #656 of 3764 Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 199
^^^^ Highlights from that L.A. Times story:

"True Blood," which is in its second season, is already showing signs of being a big moneymaker for HBO. DVD sales for the first season, which only went on sale a few weeks ago, have already generated north of $30 million, according to industry research firm TV by the Numbers. "True Blood" has also become one of the top iTune downloads.

"True Blood" isn't cheap to make. Although a typical drama on broadcast television may cost north of $2 million an episode, HBO's dramas cost as much as $4 million an episode.

When it premiered last year, "True Blood" drew only 1.4 million viewers and looked like it would join "John From Cincinnati" and "Tell Me You Love Me" as another quirky flop for HBO. As the season wore on, however, its popularity grew.

Sunday's second-season premiere drew 3.7 million viewers, the highest number for an HBO show since the finale of "The Sopranos." HBO reran the episode later that night, drawing a total viewership of more than 5 million. Those numbers are even more impressive when one considers that "True Blood" did not have a powerful show leading into its telecast and went up against ABC's coverage of Game 5 of the NBA Finals between the L.A. Lakers and Orlando Magic in some parts of the nation."
post #657 of 3764 Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear the show is doing so well. Now if we could only get HBO to bump up the amount of times its on per week... Seriously with 9 books in the series already released and I think another is due out in a few months theres plenty of material for them to do more then one night per week plus more then 12 shows per season.

(Just an off topic side note: another long book series I would love to see come out on a weekly HBO big budget show like TruBlood is the Wheel of Time series.)

And lastly I just wanted to comment on the Blu-ray edition of season one which I think did an excellent job with both picture & audio quality but with an msrp of $79.98 I was really hoping to see extra content per show, extra shows, more exclusive features exclusive to BR etc...
post #658 of 3764 Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

Good to hear the show is doing so well. Now if we could only get HBO to bump up the amount of times its on per week... Seriously with 9 books in the series already released and I think another is due out in a few months theres plenty of material for them to do more then one night per week plus more then 12 shows per season.

That's not how their model operates. And they know the risk of overexposure ('Who Wants to be a Millionaire', for example?). The thing about HBO is that they're the only network, broadcast or cable, that is still plenty flush with cash. In '07, for example, they made a billion in pure profit! They have enough money to do anything they want, yet they give us 'John from Cincinnati' (which I actually really enjoyed) instead of a final season of 'Deadwood' (which I would have enjoyed a lot more - along with nearly their entire viewership). HBO is an enigma, wrapped in a paradox - or however that expression goes.
post #659 of 3764 Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

I agree and I think they will get into the hypocrisy of megachurches soon enough. They already started with them looking for Jason to give them $1200, I doubt it will end there.

It reminded me a lot of Scientology lol.
post #660 of 3764 Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

That's not how their model operates. And they know the risk of overexposure ('Who Wants to be a Millionaire', for example?). The thing about HBO is that they're the only network, broadcast or cable, that is still plenty flush with cash. In '07, for example, they made a billion in pure profit! They have enough money to do anything they want, yet they give us 'John from Cincinnati' (which I actually really enjoyed) instead of a final season of 'Deadwood' (which I would have enjoyed a lot more - along with nearly their entire viewership). HBO is an enigma, wrapped in a paradox - or however that expression goes.

::shrugs:: yes things can definitely be overexposed, look how often american idol is on but that is still successfull.... Anyway it is simply personal opinion that I would enjoy more, whether that means a longer running show per week, more shows per week and/or even more shows per season.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page