The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network HD 10/3 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Isn't it more likely that this was a technical glitch? Why would they intentionally show something in SD when they have the ability to show it in HD instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles3k View Post

Isn't it more likely that this was a technical glitch? Why would they intentionally show something in SD when they have the ability to show it in HD instead?

"cause theyre cheap people"
-dr. clove, "the odd couple".

post #93 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Recorded this for my 8 year old son who loves Star Wars(even the lousy prequels). I sat down and watched it with him expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Two stand-alone stories that were engaging, and full of action. Bought a season pass of it from iTunes and will load each one on my iPod Touch to babysit my son on car trips/shopping. About time Lucasarts produced something of quality.
post #94 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_b View Post

I have to admit though that I was a little surprised when the they showed the "Pod Hunter" grew cutting open the escape pod and "spacing" all of the individuals inside. It seemed pretty grim and not something that I wanted my 5 year old to be watching.

Agree. I watched it with my 5 yr old too. He loved it, but there were moments it was too dark.

The repeats hopefully are a technically glitch. "Squashed" was not near as bad as the "side pan" effect. Oh my, that was unwatchable.

Peace,

DM
post #95 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Cartoon Network Record Ratings, It Is, For 'Star Wars' Series

Lucasfilm's CG-Animated 'Clone' Show Debut Draws 3.9 Million Viewers; 1.2 Million Tweens

By R. Thomas Umstead -- Multichannel News, 10/6/2008 10:59:00 AM

The force was certainly with Cartoon Network as its Oct. 3 premiere of Star Wars: Clone Wars posted a record network series debut audience of 3.9 million viewers.

The Lucasfilm animation series drew more than 1 million more viewers than Cartoon Network's previous top premiere show, Ben 10: Alien Force, which logged 2.8 million viewers last November, according to Nielsen Media Research data.

The CG-animated series also attracted 1.2 million viewers 9 to 14, the largest tweens audience for any premiere telecast in Cartoon's 16-year history. The one-hour new series premiere also reigned as the top program from 9 p.m. to10 p.m. among all major kids networks among the 6-to-11 group(1.4 million), 2 to 11 (1.8 million), and tweens. The series also earned triple digit increases in several key demos --kids 2 to 11, 6-11, boys 2 to 11, 6 to 11 and 9 to 14 -- compared to the same period last year.

Cartoon Network also premiered another original animated series, The Secret Saturdays, to serve as its lead-in for the all-new Friday night fantasy-action-adventure lineup. In the 8 p.m. hour, The Secret Saturdays earned 35% more kids 6-to-11 viewers and 86% more boys 6 to 11 than programming that appeared in the same time period in 2007. Moreover, the series debut also increased kids 2-to-11 delivery by 47%, boys 2-to-11 delivery by 67%, tweens 9-to-14 delivery by 23% and boys 9-to-14 delivery by 60%, according to Nielsen data.

This is a great start for our new night of fantasy-action-adventure programming, said Stuart Snyder, president and COO of Turner Broadcasting's Animation, Young Adults and Kids Media group in a statement. Kids and their parents made it a point to tune in to the amazing storytelling and brilliant animation of Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Clone Wars. We are looking forward to building on this foundation and are thrilled with this turnout and record numbers for Cartoon Network.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...?desc=topstory

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #96 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM

I got my dish upgraded to an HD feed Saturday morning after I watched the SD feed from Friday night's premiere. I wanted some HD material for when my TV arrives, so I re-recorded it in HD... I was not amused by the squish and stretch. Unacceptable.
post #97 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

before secret saturdays & clone wars did they ever show anything in hd ?

post #98 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS View Post

“This is a great start for our new night of fantasy-action-adventure programming,” said Stuart Snyder, president and COO of Turner Broadcasting’s Animation, Young Adults and Kids Media group in a statement.

If they want to build an evening of "fantasy-action-adventure" I suggest they move Guardian of the Sacred Spirit (aka Seirei no Moribito) out of the 1:30 Sunday am [adult swim] ghetto they're carrying it in now. Seirei is definitely one of the best Japanese anime series of the past few years, and one intended for a family audience as well. The young prince, Chagum, is an excellent role model for kids.
post #99 of 217 Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

before secret saturdays & clone wars did they ever show anything in hd ?

That was the first time they showed anything in HD, even though a lot of programming they aired prior was produced in HD, e.g. The Venture Bros season 3.

"How come you haven't changed anything?"-Omar
post #100 of 217 Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_b View Post

I enjoyed it. I watched the second episode with my 5 year old (who is heavily into Star Wars). The PQ in HD was amazing. I especially thought the Ion Cannon blast was very well done.

I have to admit though that I was a little surprised when the they showed the "Pod Hunter" grew cutting open the escape pod and "spacing" all of the individuals inside. It seemed pretty grim and not something that I wanted my 5 year old to be watching. We had watched (and enjoyed) the Clone Wars movie together but this seemed a little more "adult" to me.

Anyone else think so?

I thought the rating was PG-13. Furthermore, the earlier descriptons of this show made is seemed especially suited for very small children. I do not think this series is for small children at all.

I liked the HD, but to be honest, for most animation I don't think it really matters (but it is preferred).

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #101 of 217 Old 10-08-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

if anyone missed it the reruns are tonite....reruns evidently arent HD....but its still better than "lipstick jungle":

episode 1 wed 7:00pm
episode 2 wed 7:30pm

episode 1 wed 10:00pm
episode 2 wed 10:30pm

post #102 of 217 Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Liked: 11
There was one LOL line in the first episode, from the King of Toydaria:

"For a surrender, that's sure a lot of smoke."

It was well set up, the arrogance of Dooku and Ventress contrasted with Yoda's zen confidence and "underplaying" of the contest.

I didn't think the writing and plotline of the second episode was done quite as well, but it was still enjoyable viewing with my 8 yo (who's a huge SW fan).

Cliff
post #103 of 217 Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:

if anyone missed it the reruns are tonite....reruns evidently arent HD....but its still better than "lipstick jungle":

episode 1 wed 7:00pm
episode 2 wed 7:30pm

episode 1 wed 10:00pm
episode 2 wed 10:30pm

Correction, the rerun was in HD. Watching it now (via DVR). Looks good.
post #104 of 217 Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Uh, "The Clone Wars", and you are surprised that it isn't really fit for a 5 year old? You gents are kidding, right? This is the first time Lucas has actually targeted his audience appropriately. What did he say a couple decades back? SW is aimed at 12 year old boys? I would also submit that nothing on CN is for 5 year olds.

BTW, the rating is TV-PG-V according to the fed-mandated onscreen box.

Also, this is not 2.35:1. It looks squished to me. I measure the ratio at 2.167:1. I think it is supposed to be 16:9 and is vertically squished (from studying character heads), which I can't alter with my equipment (D* HR21-100 and no scaler ). At least on today's play of the first 2 eps. I haven't seen any days. But it does appear HD.

But fun so far. I'm sure my boys will be thrilled tomorrow.
post #105 of 217 Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

The broadcast is definitely supposed to be 16:9, but I believe the series was produced in 2.35:1, and has been cropped. It sure looks like it's cropped.

Also, the preview which was shown at Star Wars Celebration IV was 2.35 and the movie was 2.35. Lucas even implied as much in an interview, saying "It's still in widescreen, even on television."

I guess we'll find out when it shows up on BD.
post #106 of 217 Old 10-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=Also, this is not 2.35:1. It looks squished to me. I measure the ratio at 2.167:1. I think it is supposed to be 16:9 and is vertically squished (from studying character heads), which I can't alter with my equipment (D* HR21-100 and no scaler ). At least on today's play of the first 2 eps. I haven't seen any days. But it does appear HD.[/QUOTE]

If it looks squished and is letterboxed, then it is definitely not in HD. That's how they air all the other programming that is produced in HD as well. It should also have the Cartoon Network HD logo like it did when it and The Secret Saturdays first premiered. It is an upconvert, and I am just going by what you said, i didn't watch it tonight so I can't say for sure. Last Sunday they reaired it in the letter-boxed squished mode as well, so that's what I'm going by.

post #107 of 217 Old 10-09-2008, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The content of the 2 episodes I've seen was definitely superior to what was released in theaters. It's almost as if they've "cleaned them up" a bit and removed some of the silly humor due to the backlash from the critics. Could be just a crazy conspiracy theory, but these episodes seemed darker to me.

It does appear that they are showing these out of order/sequence though, as
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ahsoka was introduced as Anakin's padawan in the theater version and yet I understand those episodes will air at a later date? She's already appearing here as his padawan.
post #108 of 217 Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_slam View Post

Correction, the rerun was in HD. Watching it now (via DVR). Looks good.

no the rerun was not HD....the premiere of the show friday was 16x9 and filled the screen & even had the HD logo....last nights rerun was trying to do a 2.35 look pic (see the black borders on top/bottom that werent there on friday) stretched & did not have the HD logo.

i dvrd & compared the 2 pics and u arent getting any more picture on the reruns....its just squished and stretched.

post #109 of 217 Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
The show looks infinitely better on my iPod Touch. What I DVRed in HD looks absolutely dreadful. It's dark, it's stretched...it's just bad.
post #110 of 217 Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

The show looks infinitely better on my iPod Touch. What I DVRed in HD looks absolutely dreadful. It's dark, it's stretched...it's just bad.

Tha's because you probably recorded the re-run and not the premiere. All re-airing have been upconverts, letter-boxed and squished for your viewing pleasure. Only the premiere was in true HD. Looked really nice too. Better record Friday's prmiere episodes instead of the re-airings.

post #111 of 217 Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

It does appear that they are showing these out of order/sequence though.

the tv show takes place after the movie so anything that happened in the movie is past.....they arent going to cut it into 4 episodes and show it later on or anything like that.

post #112 of 217 Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the tv show takes place after the movie so anything that happened in the movie is past.....they arent going to cut it into 4 episodes and show it later on or anything like that.

Okay, thanks. I was under the impression the "movie" episodes would be shown at a later date.
post #113 of 217 Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo View Post

If it looks squished and is letterboxed, then it is definitely not in HD. That's how they air all the other programming that is produced in HD as well. It should also have the Cartoon Network HD logo like it did when it and The Secret Saturdays first premiered. It is an upconvert, and I am just going by what you said, i didn't watch it tonight so I can't say for sure. Last Sunday they reaired it in the letter-boxed squished mode as well, so that's what I'm going by.

I'll have to compare to the original for ep3 tomorrow. Assuming they go back to proper HD for that. The rerun definitely looked better than other cartoons I've seen for resolution, it was not bad like 480i. I haven't watched much on CN so it's hard to compare myself.

The rerun did have the HD logo, but the show behind it was not proper shape.
post #114 of 217 Old 10-10-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

episode #3 in HD - 9:00pm tonite.

the 8:30pm rerun of the previous weeks episode is also HD.

post #115 of 217 Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The rerun was not the proper shape, just as earlier reruns. #3 is correct. It's amazing how stupid these networks are.
post #116 of 217 Old 10-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

I caught the tail end of the rerun before the new episode, and it looked fine to me.
post #117 of 217 Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Baby sitter canceled the HD recording. Thanks a lot! Now I'll have to record a SD repeat.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #118 of 217 Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

Uh, "The Clone Wars", and you are surprised that it isn't really fit for a 5 year old? You gents are kidding, right?

Nope, I'm not kidding. I saw the original Star Wars when I was 8, so I really didn't think much about allowing my five year old to watch this with me. I've got DirecTV and have watched 3 episodes so far and none of them have had a rating. They just all say "No Rating."

He's enjoying it though and the one we watched today was not as dark. The voiceover narration at the beginning reminds me of the guy that used to do the same for the "Justice League" Saturday morning cartoons that I remember as a kid.

Fun stuff.

Peace,

DM
post #119 of 217 Old 10-12-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

Baby sitter canceled the HD recording. Thanks a lot! Now I'll have to record a SD repeat.

the replay of episode 3 will be in HD friday oct 17 8:30pm right before the debut of episode 4....its the only rerun thats in HD.

post #120 of 217 Old 10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoM View Post

The voiceover narration at the beginning reminds me of the guy that used to do the same for the "Justice League" Saturday morning cartoons that I remember as a kid.

The voiceover at the beginning reminds me of the news announcer in Starship Troopers.

The most annoying thing about this show is the huge Cartoon Network bug. I can't stand it.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page