"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 401
I love this show. Of course, it's dreck but it's interesting, entertaining dreck. Like Lost, 24, and a few others, Fringe's stories are over the top nonsense, played with perfectly straight faces by a talented ensemble cast. I particularly like the girl agent, the mad doctor, and his long suffering, brilliant son. Blair Brown, as the Massive Dynamic executive is good, too.

Speaking of the son, I will be interested to learn what his medical history is. I am enjoying the developing relationship between him and the girl agent. Each of them clearly admires much about the other but is aware of the quirks, too, which makes them wary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I'm right there with you, except I might give it two more if it doesn't get worse starting next week. Walter is enough right now to keep me watching a bit longer, but not enough for the long term.

I'm not sure what it means that I like that all his "solutions" start off with "Do you have any (insert illegal drug here)?"

I don't think its the line so much, but rather the oh so casual delivery. Don't forget this guy is stepping out of the 1980's. Its the present that's odd.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #273 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Now the House audience has seen an episode, will they be back next week?

I think the audience that liked House last season (the season when the show became all House, all smartass, all the time) will give Fringe a shot, and for much the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Ahh.. and so once again THE BLACK OIL IS BACK!!!

Mmmmm... Black Oil... Surprisingly low on the list for jump the shark moments for X-Files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

funny stuff

Thank you. If I can entertain one person, I have done my job... oh, wait... I have work to do. Maybe I haven't done my job.

I dunno. Is it OK to want a show to stay on the air because it is enjoyable for all the wrong reasons? I love movies that are awesomely bad. But somehow few TV shows are awesomely bad (the new Bionic Woman wanted to be, but it just wouldn't give in). I don't know how to feel.
post #274 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

I think the audience that liked House last season (the season when the show became all House, all smartass, all the time) will give Fringe a shot, and for much the same reason.

Mmmmm... Black Oil... Surprisingly low on the list for jump the shark moments for X-Files.

Thank you. If I can entertain one person, I have done my job... oh, wait... I have work to do. Maybe I haven't done my job.

I dunno. Is it OK to want a show to stay on the air because it is enjoyable for all the wrong reasons? I love movies that are awesomely bad. But somehow few TV shows are awesomely bad (the new Bionic Woman wanted to be, but it just wouldn't give in). I don't know how to feel.

Oh please. Fringe is Dostoyevsky next to 'My Mother the Car'.

post #275 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

LOL That's funny. Triplets?

I like the locations and the overall look but I can't get past the pathetic acting and horrendous lazy writing. There's a fine line between an homage and plagiarism. This show disrespects and insults its audiencea willing audience that is extremely forgiving. I'm out.

Uhm, errr, just the two on the end were twins.

post #276 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamr View Post

uhm, errr, just the two on the end were twins.

lol

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #277 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

I dunno. Is it OK to want a show to stay on the air because it is enjoyable for all the wrong reasons?

Certainly not.

Who didn't watch the A-Team for the way they would always get locked in a garage or warehouse full of power tools, welding equipment and enough sheet metal and automative parts to build a tank in the time it takes to run through the main theme once?

How about how Macguyver would always get out of trouble with a pocket knife, a nickel, some paper clips and a whole lotta duct tape?

And seriously...why did the sherriff always try to chase the Duke Boys even after they jump the swamp or the grain silo? Did he momentarilly forget where they live?

Finally (to reference something a bit closer to the topic show), how many times would Mulder see something utterly amazing only to have Scully completely miss it?

The problem is not the campy moments, it's the attempt to be serious and having it come off as more silly than Walter randomly milking a cow in his lab.

Above, I said I'd give it a couple more if it didn't get worse. That's really only because I'm still waiting on a couple of Fall shows to still start up. Once everything is in full swing, I'll want to start paring down the dead limbs - and I fear "Fringe" will be the first cut.
post #278 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Above, I said I'd give it a couple more if it didn't get worse. That's really only because I'm still waiting on a couple of Fall shows to still start up. Once everything is in full swing, I'll want to start paring down the dead limbs - and I fear "Fringe" will be the first cut.

Same here. How many Fall shows (new series) are even left at this point, besides My Own Worst Enemy?

At this juncture, Sons of Anarchy are still leading my pack.

post #279 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I love this show. Of course, it’s dreck but it’s interesting, entertaining dreck. Like Lost, 24, and a few others, Fringe’s stories are over the top nonsense, played with perfectly straight faces by a talented ensemble cast.

You see I'm watching this and not seeing the part where they are trying to be tongue in cheek. With the exception of Walter and his Son (who appear to exist in a different show all of their own sometimes*) the rest all seem to be paying this earnestly as if it were a serious drama.

* A spin-off show I think I would rather watch.

post #280 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Does it really matter if you suspect the other players are trying to act in full drama mode? It's a valid/plausible formula to have contrasting performances, if not to simply make each one stand out more, just by virtue of the contrast. It raises the dynamic intensity if you are going from hot to cold and funny to serious from one moment to the next. It doesn't have to be ALL serious (or it would just be CSI) or all funny (Naked Gun?). (I dunno, maybe I'm just in an unusually good mood over this, because I'm seriously not experiencing any of the objectionables that are being brought up here)

That said, I'm suspecting that most of these objections may be coming from those who are railing against the show for not "being" what they expect it should be (and achieving the best example of whatever that is), rather than simply evaluating what is being presented on its own terms.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #281 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Smallville: Season 4, Episode 20 "Ageless".
(Night scene opens with a speeding car swerving all over the road)

A young couple are in the hot-rod. The man is frantically dialing 911 as his girlfriend's pregnant (glowing) belly is growing before his very eyes.....

Guy yells into phone: "I need help!"

Girl screams: "Ahhh....I think it's coming....!

Guy's eyes widen as girl's lit-up belly looks as if it's about to burst. The glow from her gets so bright he brings the car to a screeching halt.

Girl screams: "Ahhh...Don't leave me!"

Guy decides to bolt for his life just before the delivery decimates everything in range. Of course, the infant has a lifespan of approx 48-72 hours after which he "naturally" passes away.

Disgusting. That scene is near blow-for-blow identical how Fringe opened last night. Not only was it copied, it was done badly. My kid can write a better script than that. The Smallville writers suddenly look genius.

End rant

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #282 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This debate reminds me of the one over John Woo and Tom Cruise being involved in the "Mission Impossible" movie.

Is Tom Cruise making a John Woo film or
John Woo making a Tom Cruise Film.

In this case:

Is FOX making a JJ Abrams Show or
JJ Abrams making a FOX Show.

So far, it's the latter.
If can get past that this show is a chop suey of Lost, Alias, X-Files, Millenium and maybe NCIS, it's been entertaining enough to keep watching.
post #283 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Oh please. Fringe is Dostoyevsky next to 'My Mother the Car'.

You know, I'm young enough that I've never watched My Mother the Car. I've heard, um... things about it. I'll have to look on Hulu.com to see if they have it.
post #284 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

This debate reminds me of the one over John Woo and Tom Cruise being involved in the "Mission Impossible" movie.

Is Tom Cruise making a John Woo film or
John Woo making a Tom Cruise Film.

In that case the end result was a crap film. So what you are saying is that when you have two TV forces working against each other you end up with crap?

post #285 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 PM

The lead female character in this show is awful. She is even really really bad during her super melodramatic parts, that occur every episode.

The only thing worse than her is the writing for her part.

It is so bad I'd rather watch reality TV.
post #286 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypokondriak View Post

The lead female character in this show is awful. She is even really really bad during her super melodramatic parts, that occur every episode.

The only thing worse than her is the writing for her part.

It is so bad I'd rather watch reality TV.

They could have at least picked someone attractive enough to repeatedly come back for. (Kate). Oh well.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #287 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You see I'm watching this and not seeing the part where they are trying to be tongue in cheek. With the exception of Walter and his Son (who appear to exist in a different show all of their own sometimes*) the rest all seem to be paying this earnestly as if it were a serious drama.

* A spin-off show I think I would rather watch.

Actually, that would be a really cool show: son and crazy father team investigates odd phenomena with their sidekick cow...

...maybe geared for the "Adult Swim" crowd?
post #288 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Does it really matter if you suspect the other players are trying to act in full drama mode? It's a valid/plausible formula to have contrasting performances, if not to simply make each one stand out more, just by virtue of the contrast. It raises the dynamic intensity if you are going from hot to cold and funny to serious from one moment to the next. It doesn't have to be ALL serious (or it would just be CSI) or all funny (Naked Gun?). (I dunno, maybe I'm just in an unusually good mood over this, because I'm seriously not experiencing any of the objectionables that are being brought up here)

That said, I'm suspecting that most of these objections may be coming from those who are railing against the show for not "being" what they expect it should be (and achieving the best example of whatever that is), rather than simply evaluating what is being presented on its own terms.

Amen to that, and well put.

Some of the negative responses seem so dramatic, which always amuses me when it comes to TV shows. Although it isn't exactly what I thought it would be, I happen to really like the show so far, and it seems to me there are many worse primetime shows around. Well, to each his own I suppose ..
post #289 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I further suspect there is an element of "network warfare" behind some of these comments. If it can happen for video formats and flat panel technologies and videogame consoles, it should be unsurprising that people might be doing this for show on network A vs show on network B.

I mean, some of these comments seem a bit too "strong", beyond just the casual jabs for the sake of levity (of which I fully admit to doing a bit of, my own damn self).

post #290 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
So, for those of you who may actually enjoy this show and want to discuss it instead of complain about it...

Does anyone have any theories or speculation (non-spoiler related, obviously) on what the medical condition Peter has that Walter was referencing at the end of the episode? The first thing that I thought of was the Peter is a clone of Walter, and he didn't want Peter to know.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #291 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM

I've fallen asleep during both episodes so I think I'm done. I can't seem to care about any of the characters. I think someone mentioned this earlier, but I couldn't even name one of them right now. And I think Lost is awesome.
post #292 of 6444 Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems like a distinct possibility, tighr!

post #293 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I further suspect there is an element of "network warfare" behind some of these comments. If it can happen for video formats and flat panel technologies and videogame consoles, it should be unsurprising that people might be doing this for show on network A vs show on network B.

When you think that far you really have been watching to much conspiracy TV.

I don't think I've heard anyone bring up the subject of "network warfare" beyond a boardroom or shareholder meeting. Those that have direct affiliation with networks and broadcasters (of which there are a lot at AVS) don't participate in that sort of talk and they are the only ones who should care.

Look around some other threads. All the networks are pretty much rife for criticism now thanks to the promo plague. Finding one that's better than another is getting harder and harder. Fox was one of the last holdouts.

Just accept the fact there are a multitude of problems with this show that are both obvious and badly executed. If you can look past them all, good for you. Don't expect everyone else to.

post #294 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I further suspect there is an element of "network warfare" behind some of these comments.

In my case, I've pretty much worked for them all at one point or another over the years. I have no favorites outside of the internal work environments. I don't pick the programming I watch because of the benefits package I get.
post #295 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

So, for those of you who may actually enjoy this show and want to discuss it instead of complain about it...

Does anyone have any theories or speculation (non-spoiler related, obviously) on what the medical condition Peter has that Walter was referencing at the end of the episode? The first thing that I thought of was the Peter is a clone of Walter, and he didn't want Peter to know.

You will see the complainers watch every week and some who say they are not watching anymore still show up every week complaining about something they say they were not going to watch anymore.
It happens all the time on internet forums.

Argee
post #296 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was my initial theory as well.
post #297 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

You will see the complainers watch every week and some who say they are not watching anymore still show up every week complaining about something they say they were not going to watch anymore.
It happens all the time on internet forums.

And you'll see plenty of others that feel compelled to constantly point it out.

BTW: we haven't even reached episode 2. It's a bit early to call out for complaining this early - especially since only one person has actually said they are quitting watching so far. The rest, including myself, are hoping the show gets better and want to give it another episode or two to prove itself.

Jumping ship after the pilot episode of any show is the same mentallity that causes the networks to cancel shows so quick.
post #298 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The way Walter spoke, it sounded like something bad would happen if the had sex - in particular, she got pregnant.

Or maybe he just needs a blue pill before he can do the deed...

Of course, based on Walter's frequent suggestion of using illegal drugs, perhaps there might have been something related to that when his mother was pregnant with him...
post #299 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The way Walter spoke, it sounded like something bad would happen if the had sex - in particular, she got pregnant.

Wasn't that comment in reference to her boyfriend that ended up dying?
post #300 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Wasn't that comment in reference to her boyfriend that ended up dying?

It was the earlier comment about the condoms failing coupled with the condition statement that makes me think that.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page