post #301 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The way Walter spoke, it sounded like something bad would happen if the had sex - in particular, she got pregnant.

Or maybe he just needs a blue pill before he can do the deed...

Of course, based on Walter's frequent suggestion of using illegal drugs, perhaps there might have been something related to that when his mother was pregnant with him...

if your talking about the condom line then it was just a comedic reference. Since walter didn't know that everyone knows that condoms aren't 100% viable against pregnancy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The way Walter spoke, it sounded like something bad would happen if the had sex - in particular, she got pregnant.

Or maybe he just needs a blue pill before he can do the deed...

Of course, based on Walter's frequent suggestion of using illegal drugs, perhaps there might have been something related to that when his mother was pregnant with him...

At then end they seemed to imply that Peter had little or no medical history in his file, leaving the viewer to wonder if maybe he had a little Jem'Hadar-style accelerated growth, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzane83 View Post

And I think Lost is awesome.

So do I. There are lots of weird things going on in Lost, but somehow they "work" better and seem more plausible, within the context and mystique of the show, than some of the methods employed in Fringe.

Hmm...if we could only see the last thing she saw, which is supposedly burned onto her retina. Let's go borrow the ol' Space Modulator (read as: deus ex machina) from the Evil Company, pluck her eyeball out, and read the latent image. I thought it was supposed to be the last thing she saw, which apparently was the bridge outside the window. However, we saw her restrained on the table with those retractor things holding mouth open as she stared in terror at her captor. Not a bridge.

I think there were three times when I loudly gave up an "OH COME ON" remark to my wife.
post #303 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I further suspect there is an element of "network warfare" behind some of these comments. If it can happen for video formats and flat panel technologies and videogame consoles, it should be unsurprising that people might be doing this for show on network A vs show on network B.

I mean, some of these comments seem a bit too "strong", beyond just the casual jabs for the sake of levity (of which I fully admit to doing a bit of, my own damn self).

I further suspect that paranoia will destroy ya.

But I see others here have beaten me to the reality check.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #304 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

And you'll see plenty of others that feel compelled to constantly point it out.

BTW: we haven't even reached episode 2. It's a bit early to call out for complaining this early - especially since only one person has actually said they are quitting watching so far. The rest, including myself, are hoping the show gets better and want to give it another episode or two to prove itself.

Jumping ship after the pilot episode of any show is the same mentallity that causes the networks to cancel shows so quick.

Andyou do have to give a show who's premise intrigues you enough to watch, a good number of episodes to get its legs. How many Fringe are in the can? I am sure the honchos see the response and can tweak but if they already have 8 or 9 done it might not be to episode 10 we start to see changes if needed.

Actors get more comfortable in roles, writers get sharper, weak plot threads get weeded out and so on.

I look at a show like Charlie Jade. The plot intrigues but the first 8 or so episodes were confusing and seemed aimless. A new set of writers were brought in and they changed focus of the show and it became a whole lot more interesting.

Any show needs time to get its legs but network brass are very touchy about letting shows get their roots before they are given the boot.

Argee
post #305 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Andyou do have to give a show who's premise intrigues you enough to watch, a good number of episodes to get its legs. How many Fringe are in the can? I am sure the honchos see the response and can tweak but if they already have 8 or 9 done it might not be to episode 10 we start to see changes if needed.

Unless a show is floundering, they aren't going to make any changes based on the comments of people on a message board - even this one. Even if they did, by the time they would get to the episodes that involved those changes, the show would likely have already been cancelled.

Right now, since the ratings improved from week 1 (and are closer to what Fox is hoping for), the only notes they're probably getting from the network is something along the lines of "keep up the good work".

At this point, either the show will be what we, as the viewers, are hoping for or it won't. The next few episodes will show the direction they intend the show to follow. Beyond that, anyone who sticks with the show and still complains about it needs to suck it up and move on. If this were a serial, like Lost or 24, I'd cut those folks a little more slack since there's a certain desire to see how things play out, but with an episodic show like this, you either like or or you don't within the first half dozen episodes.

Finally, it's not like a show that has proven itself to have a certain amount of quality and seems to be floundering all of a sudden (like Lost at one point and last season's 24). There's no reason to assume the show will change at all at this point - only hope for some that see the potential for something a bit better.
post #306 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actors get more comfortable in roles, writers get sharper, weak plot threads get weeded out and so on.

I look at a show like Charlie Jade. The plot intrigues but the first 8 or so episodes were confusing and seemed aimless. A new set of writers were brought in and they changed focus of the show and it became a whole lot more interesting.

Any show needs time to get its legs but network brass are very touchy about letting shows get their roots before they are given the boot.

It seems to me that you're blaming the audience for the failure of JJ or the network to have their act together by showtime. Hey, those issues are within the province of the creators and the networks, not us. Look at '24'. A hailed and popular show that many here liked....UNTIL it eroded into redundant garbage. They've had 7 years to get their act together, but would rather rest on their laurels or recycle old ideas. They've had more than enough time to get 'their legs'. The problem is that the product has gotten old and tired. The audience is the customer and like any business, you're expected to keep the customer satisfied.

Addendum: Hey Network, stop copping my thoughts. I'm a slow typist, damn it!

post #307 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Addendum: Hey Network, stop copping my thoughts. I'm a slow typist, damn it!

See, if you truly had a prepared mind, you would have had your response typed up well in advance...
post #308 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

At this point, either the show will be what we, as the viewers, are hoping for or it won't. The next few episodes will show the direction they intend the show to follow.

Next week it looks like a telepathy episode. You can't go wrong with telepathy, it's always a fun plot device and an easy way to strip away the outer layers of the main characters.

Let's see where they take it.

post #309 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See, if you truly had a prepared mind, you would have had your response typed up well in advance...

No, my mind is well prepared. Unfortunately, my fingers got left back in high school.

post #310 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Next week it looks like a telepathy episode. You can't go wrong with telepathy, it's always a fun plot device and an easy way to strip away the outer layers of the main characters.

Let's see where they take it.

Ah, but Torchwood already pretty much nailed this one by showing that, while fun at first, knowing everyone's inner-most thoughts is often disturbing and unwelcome. In fact, the Twilight Zone nailed it long before that with the episode where the guy tosses the coin into the newspaper vendor's box and it stands on end.

Of course, psychokinetics or astral projection will have to be on the list at some point. For a good showing of that, I would suggest the episode of the 2000 series "The Others" entitled "Unnamed". Also, check out The X-Files episodes "Born Again", "The Calusari" "Pusher" and "Invocation". The "Scary Monsters" episode, while not as well done, probably would pull off what this show needs better than they actually will.

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't the upcoming episode dealing with fossilized people on a bus?
post #311 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ah, but Torchwood already pretty much nailed this one by showing that, while fun at first, knowing everyone's inner-most thoughts is often disturbing and unwelcome.

Exactly my point. It's a simple plot element that can be both fun and creepy, that almost never fails even though it's been done everywhere.

But even though I haven't seen next week's episode I already know it's going to be better than Torchwood. So that's a point in favor of the Fringe version.

post #312 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Exactly my point. It's a simple plot element that can be both fun and creepy, that almost never fails even though it's been done everywhere.

I hope they bring back the cow. Doubtless hijinks will ensue as they use telepathy to discover that cows, more than anything else, are integral to The Pattern and EvilCo's menacing plans of menace.

Then the cow will pass out and its heart rate will drop. Seconds of tense drama gush forth as they try to revive the cow so they can hear the end of the conspiracy tale.

They will ask Walter what to do. Walter will suggest giving the cow a cannabis enema. Son will say, "Daamit, Walter! We only have a couple dime bags!" Walter will shurg and say, "And you still insist it's only habit forming." Son will whine, "You never really understood me. Bwah, bwah, bwah."

Walter will then ask if they have any three phase power. Son will go running and return with the better part of the assembly from a nearby elevator. They shock the cow. The cow lurches upward and utters a single word: "Rosebud". And then the cow slumps back down and we hear the infamous flatline sound of a heart monitor.

Walter will crack wise, "Cut her open. We should have churned some butter with all that lurching."

They do cut her open, there is butter and the gang finishes the episode eating toast. Just before the credits, there is a quick flash of a laboratory with vats filled with thousands of gallons of rich, creamy butter. Roll credits.
post #313 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

I hope they bring back the cow. Doubtless hijinks will ensue as they use telepathy to discover that cows, more than anything else, are integral to The Pattern and EvilCo's menacing plans of menace.

If Walter tests a telepathy device on the cow and you can read it's thoughts, that might get me to keep watching.

post #314 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If Walter tests a telepathy device on the cow and you can read it's thoughts, that might get me to keep watching.

We'll see images of happier times, grazing in the country with Ma Cow. The whole thing will be very mooooving.
post #315 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Quote:

We'll see images of happier times, grazing in the country with Ma Cow. The whole thing will be very mooooving.

Be warned, 2nd grade pun in progress.....

Following that plot line would be udder disaster.

I warned you
post #316 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

Be warned, 2nd grade pun in progress.....

Following that plot line would be udder disaster.

I warned you

Eat Mor Chikin
post #317 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZip View Post

Eat Mor Chikin

LOL

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #318 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

You will see the complainers watch every week and some who say they are not watching anymore still show up every week complaining about something they say they were not going to watch anymore.
It happens all the time on internet forums.

It's the "Eric the Midget" phenomenon! wack-wack!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #319 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

I further suspect that paranoia will destroy ya.

But I see others here have beaten me to the reality check.

It's just a theory. However, the defensive-like responses to my remark would exactly fall in line with the profile. So for all intents and purposes, it quite likely in effect. I'm not talking about employees of competing networks (though, the "company plant" and intentional viral marketing/anti-marketing are certainly no stranger to avs forums), but simply, fans of show on network A doing a number in thread topics of show on network B.

The behavior is really far more germane than any issues of paranoia or conspiracy. It is simply how some people inherently operate.

post #320 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's just a theory. However, the defensive-like responses to my remark would exactly fall in line with the profile. So for all intents and purposes, it quite likely in effect. I'm not talking about employees of competing networks (though, the "company plant" and intentional viral marketing/anti-marketing are certainly no stranger to avs forums), but simply, fans of show on network A doing a number in thread topics of show on network B.

That might be a legitimate bit of reasoning if there were similar shows on at the moment, cancelled for hte sake of Fringe or even in competing timeslots as Fringe, but I'm not seeing anything in here that would indicate that fans of America's Got Talent are being pissy just because they are slightly bored. Especially when Fox is currently the channel playing all it's main programming cards which a lot of familiar names in this thread also watch and like.

So give some example quotes of what exactly you are reading that leads you to believe that anyone really cares that much what channel a show is on.

post #321 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post

At then end they seemed to imply that Peter had little or no medical history in his file, leaving the viewer to wonder if maybe he had a little Jem'Hadar-style accelerated growth, too.

So do I. There are lots of weird things going on in Lost, but somehow they "work" better and seem more plausible, within the context and mystique of the show, than some of the methods employed in Fringe.

Hmm...if we could only see the last thing she saw, which is supposedly burned onto her retina. Let's go borrow the ol' Space Modulator (read as: deus ex machina) from the Evil Company, pluck her eyeball out, and read the latent image. I thought it was supposed to be the last thing she saw, which apparently was the bridge outside the window. However, we saw her restrained on the table with those retractor things holding mouth open as she stared in terror at her captor. Not a bridge.

I think there were three times when I loudly gave up an "OH COME ON" remark to my wife.

they said the image was one of the last things she saw. They acknowledged your concern to an extent.
post #322 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It's just a call for people to chill-out with some of these comments. Unless there is some critical vested interest involved, I don't see the need to issue such cutting remarks. I mean, is the acting really THAT bad? Is she really THAT unattractive? What other shows are on the ground at the moment that are utterly free of such shortcomings? If not, then why is it such a grave disappointment for only the show Fringe?

Let's have some humility, here. If we really had a clue how to make a truly successful, viable show, we would be in the biz actually doing it and making money on it, instead of playing armchair director on an internet forum, right?

post #323 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I will look forward to the Walter line of the week. This week it had to be his discussion of the heated car seat. I cracked up! Does anyone remember the exact line? Second place was Walter's reaction to the statement that he already had a lab.
post #324 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

..., instead of playing armchair director on an internet forum, right?

What in the heck do you think the internet is for anyways? Besides porn I mean.
post #325 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I will look forward to the Walter line of the week. This week it had to be his discussion of the heated car seat. I cracked up! Does anyone remember the exact line? Second place was Walter's reaction to the statement that he already had a lab.

Not exact, but something like "Seats that warm your a**. What a wonderful thing. You should try it..."
post #326 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Actually, this one was an improvement over the pilot. I really like the cow.
post #327 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's just a call for people to chill-out with some of these comments. Unless there is some critical vested interest involved, I don't see the need to issue such cutting remarks. I mean, is the acting really THAT bad? Is she really THAT unattractive? What other shows are on the ground at the moment that are utterly free of such shortcomings? If not, then why is it such a grave disappointment for only the show Fringe?

Well NetworkTV mentioned Torchwood before and that got me thinking I've been too hard on Fringe. Now matter how unoriginal the stories might get, I know that whatever episodes await, none of them will feature something like this:

Quote:

Let's have some humility, here. If we really had a clue how to make a truly successful, viable show, we would be in the biz actually doing it and making money on it, instead of playing armchair director on an internet forum, right?

Well AVS is a strange place in the internet forum world. It's difficult to tell sometimes which people are in the biz and doing exactly that when they aren't posting on here.

post #328 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Well NetworkTV mentioned Torchwood before and that got me thinking I've been too hard on Fringe. Now matter how unoriginal the stories might get, I know that whatever episodes await, none of them will feature something like this:

That was the first episode of Torchwood that I saw, and it's why I keep watching it. It's like watching a train wreck every week...it's just so bad, but you have to keep watching.

Here's an interview with Fringe's writers. Something stood out and made me go "wtf?"

J. Pinkner: Yes. I think science fiction also for us is kind of a very specific category. 'BattleStar Galactica' is science fiction. 'BattleStar Galactica' takes place in the future. It’s a vision of the future, and this is, as Bob is saying, a vision of now.

A. Kurtzman: And I think we’re all huge fans of 'BattleStar Galactica.'

J. Pinkner: Huge.

Wtf? Since when is BSG a vision of the future? It may be, but we have no idea. That kind of a comment doesn't build much confidence in the writers as far as I'm concerned.
post #329 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

That was the first episode of Torchwood that I saw, and it's why I keep watching it. It's like watching a train wreck every week...it's just so bad, but you have to keep watching.

J. Pinkner: Yes. I think science fiction also for us is kind of a very specific category. 'BattleStar Galactica' is science fiction. 'BattleStar Galactica' takes place in the future. It’s a vision of the future, and this is, as Bob is saying, a vision of now.

A. Kurtzman: And I think we’re all huge fans of 'BattleStar Galactica.'

J. Pinkner: Huge.

Wtf? Since when is BSG a vision of the future? It may be, but we have no idea. That kind of a comment doesn't build much confidence in the writers as far as I'm concerned.

I think they're speaking of the advanced "futuristic" technology possessed by a space-faring race, far different from us earthlings. We need to see the characters as contemporaries to better relate to them, but they're clearly more advanced technologically than us. That sort of thing is typically classified as sci-fi. I don't think BSG, one of TV's great series in recent years on a number of levels, has to run from that classification. It is what it is.
post #330 of 6444 Old 09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
This show really has fun potential. I just hope it doesn't end up being this EVERY week:

--something weird kills someone; team is sent to investigate
--call in Walter who remembers doing something like that about 20 years ago
--come up with a crazy experiment to obtain a vital clue
--drama
--solve the case
--give a quick glimpse into "everything is not as it seems"

Oh wait, that's pretty much the show, isn't it? =P
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page