post #361 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Having lived in Back Bay through most of the 70's and 80's, I tend to doubt you feel any more connected than I do. Boston is a great town with many interesting aspects, but the great scenery is still not going to overcome a poor script.

The great Boston scenery isn't what it used to be.

You can't move now for all the huge 3D location signs they have blocking streets and sidewalks. Some of them look like they are floating using wires and could fall over and kill passersby at any time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
lol...
post #363 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake21734 View Post

To me it has some of the magic that made the early seasons of the Xfiles really good. John Noble's Walter is awsome. I loved the "I think remember where I parked my car" and "Do you have any cocaine?" I cracked up. I really like this show. I just hope FOX doesn't let us all down and cancel it like they do almost every new show they make.

+1, this is the best new show to come out since Lost, IMO.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #364 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

So I guess this is fair concession that your "mind will not be made up" until the season is over, and we will be kept graciously apprised of your rabid distaste of each and every episode from here on out? I dunno about you or anyone else here, but that would seem to be a clear and blatant case of threadshitting. I'm pretty sure it is not welcome here, thank you.

Unfortunately, you somehow got it bass ackwards. If the show doesn't improve in the next few eps, I won't waste any more time on it, and will simply write it off as a half-assed effort by JJ and his co-conspirators, as a number of others have already done.

Lost will return soon enough.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #365 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You can't move now for all the huge 3D location signs they have blocking streets and sidewalks. Some of them look like they are floating using wires and could fall over and kill passersby at any time.

Ahh, I wondered why there were no ice sculptures in the Public Gardens, nor multi-colored lit X-mas trees in The Commons. They've all been crushed by bloated fonts!

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #366 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Actually, I'm seer-seeing you a favor. Just cut your losses now and move on. Spare yourself additional frustration, spare this topic further threadshitting. Seems equitable to me. Better yet, just call the entire season off, and re-evaluate on S2, when supposedly everything will have been ironed out and purring like a kitten. If the show is still not the show you had hoped it would be, call it a day!

...but we know you won't do that, right? You want to be miserable (for some reason) watching a show, and you want us to share in it (for some perverse reason). How many does it stand for when you say "next few episodes"? Another 2?...3? Do we have a formal promise by you to throw in the towel on ep.5, then? Why even wait for 5? Do you have some credible report that the writing pattern and direction is going to change on a dime for #5? I think we all know the answer to that, right? So what is even the point of waiting for some magical transformation to happen between now and 5? It makes no sense, unless the real intent to stick around is to... (ok, not really shocked, but there's some Fringe-quality melodrama for ya )

Therein lies the revelation for all involved here (and anyone else in your same boat) that there are only 2 paths left, here- a credible one or the credibility exposed one. The credible path is to simply say, "touche" and head'on into the sunset. The credibility exposed path is where the intent of the continued negativity is apparent and in full acknowledgment that the show isn't changing to your specifications and said changes are unlikely to sporadically appear later in the season...yet you persist, anyways...

Seems pretty clear to me. Anyone else?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #367 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Why don't we all just get along?

Or at least wait until tonight to see if they can make magic, or a bag of dirt with episode 3. I'm sure there'll be some wild and crazy scheme of Walter's to offer amusement or recharge the ire.

post #368 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

These look particularly dangerous and could cause catastrophic consequences if they fell:

post #369 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

These look particularly dangerous and could cause catastrophic consequences if they fell:

I think that bottom one was the last image the cameraman ever took.

post #370 of 6444 Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
No doubt, Walter is going to deliver the goods. I don't think it takes a genius to realize, by now, either we are here to enjoy the spirit of it all or here to piss in some cornflakes, eh?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #371 of 6444 Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 289
posts deleted: some members are getting close to being asked to leave the thread...please take note

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #372 of 6444 Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Why do they look so utterly crappy? Please spend more than 5 minutes rendering the text...is that really so much to ask? It looks like something that Microsoft Word spits out...

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #373 of 6444 Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Argh! Missed the last couple minutes at the end. Stupid local FOX cut into the show with a stupid high school football commercial.

If your HDTV isn't working properly, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.
post #374 of 6444 Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

I want to like this show, but don't know how long I'll stick with it. Each episode on its own is enjoyable, but as a series, every episode is almost exactly the same. There's a different 'science'-of-the-week, but the plot follows the exact same progression every time so far. Of course, it's only been 3 episodes, so I'm not giving up on it just yet.
post #375 of 6444 Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCortex View Post

I want to like this show, but don't know how long I'll stick with it. Each episode on its own is enjoyable, but as a series, every episode is almost exactly the same. There's a different 'science'-of-the-week, but the plot follows the exact same progression every time so far. Of course, it's only been 3 episodes, so I'm not giving up on it just yet.

It seems to work for House...

Panasonic 54G25
Axiom M60 (x2)
Axiom VP150
Axiom QS8 (x2)
SVS PB1000 (x2)
Denon AVR-790
PS3
HTPC (i3-2105 , HD7850)
post #376 of 6444 Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

This week's episode was the first one without any, um, unintended laughs. Good chuckles came when they were invited. No ridiculous screaming. Or man-babies. This episode is a lot closer to what I thought the show might be.

So, on that note, I'm prepared to ask an actual plot-driven question without any of my usual smartass comments:

Does anyone else think they're waving EvilCo up and down too blatantly for EvilCo to really be the big menace behind all of this? Is the show's big surprise going to be a sympathy to this Randian notion of benevolent elitism that seems inherent in the government's relationship with EvilCo?

OK... One mean remark. Damn those ginormous block letters! E-nuff!
post #377 of 6444 Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

OK... One mean remark. Damn those ginormous block letters! E-nuff!

This one has disaster written all over it:
post #378 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_o View Post

Except that House has the lead actor of Hugh Laurie stealing every scene. House was the first thing I thought of last night. To the point where I think they should rename the series "Walter" and put him in every scene because John Noble steals those too.

The formula element of Walter finding the magic experiment, will get old unless they start mixing up the stories. The same thing happened to Reaper until it started throwing that away for a serialized story. Even the X-Files mixed up the monter of the week scenario.

I thought it was a marked improvement over the first two episodes and the "science" was more interesting and original, but I still think that Walter and his son still seem to be existing in a different show. You have the wacky father and son scenes in the lab and catching up in the real world, and then you have a dull pedestrian crime show whenever just the Torv, FBI investigations and Reddick are on screen.

Best laugh came from the freshman at the door scene. And Anna Torv pulled that off.

Now I'm waiting to see how Eleventh Hour stacks up. The premise of a special team investigating real world "science" anomalies is something they share. I'm disappointed they didn't keep Patrick Stewart in the role because that could have made him a serious contender to John Noble in the screen presence stakes.

post #379 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

People have no respect for classical architecture these days! That font is far too modern to have fixed to a cathedral.

I would love it if they had one letter fall off and kill something in the background one week.

post #380 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, my DirecTV (I'm assuming the local in Harrisburg, PA) was messed up and the first 35 minutes or so of my recording was blank.

Perfect. Guess I'll watch it online.
post #381 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

... I would love it if they had one letter fall off and kill something in the background one week.

Would they have to pay royalties to that commercial if they have a bike or boat crash into them?

v/r,
C-F
post #382 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_o View Post

Funny. From the first episode, I thought this show was 'House' like. And since I burned out on House through mid last season, I don't see this series lasting much longer for me. I'll know for sure when the DVR fills up with unwatched episodes, that I will eventually delete from lack of interest. At least that's how it played out with House last season.

post #383 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM

Liked: 13
I am still up in the air on this show, but have found it more laughable than intriguing so far. The lead actress is a female Keanu Reeves. Her delivery is horrible.

Tilt-o-meter is leaning towards deleting from season pass, but like a bad car wreck, so far, I have to stop and watch.

We will see.
post #384 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

All we need is something in the lower left of that image and TV will have succeeded in it's first quad bug placement.

I was going to say something about the TV14V placement over the door to the church but....
post #385 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It is becoming to episodic and too predictable...and that's scary after only 3 episodes. The production values are still high but serial storyline isn't moving fast enough and its not interesting enough to keep viewers hooked.

I'm also leaning to removing this from my series recordings...

House on the other hand was FANTASTIC...

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #386 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

It is becoming to episodic and too predictable...and that's scary after only 3 episodes. The production values are still high but serial storyline isn't moving fast enough and its not interesting enough to keep viewers hooked.

I'm also leaning to removing this from my series recordings...

House on the other hand was FANTASTIC...

I agree. I was only a casual House watcher up until the midway point of last season. When it started to concentrate more on a long story line I feel the show got better and I wanted to catch every episode. About the only other time I was intrigued by the show was the detective who wanted to nail House for the drug addiction stuff.

So, with Fringe I find myself in the same boat. The "weekly problem" needs to be secondary to the advancement of the story arch or I will lose interest fast. And, the story arch has to have some meat to it, not just a few cut scenes with the bad guys.
post #387 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

I thought last night's ep was better than week 2's. I think it's very clear to anyone but the most biased observers that Torv is getting more comfortable with her role. She seemed more natural and had a wider emotional range than the first 2 weeks. The ep also had more lighter moments which are a definite plus and which also make sense since the protagonists are settling into their new positions after the first few weeks where they were new and unfamiliar with each other.
post #388 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I plan to stick with Fringe but agree that its long-term story line is developing too slowly. Still, I really like the Drs. Bishop, the old man is a hoot and the son is carrying more baggage that American airlines. I continue to like Anna Torv's tortured Olivia.

On another topic, I kind of like the funky 3-D titles, they have a sort of graphic novel vibe, which I think works well in this show.
post #389 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by antneye View Post

I am still up in the air on this show, but have found it more laughable than intriguing so far. The lead actress is a female Keanu Reeves. Her delivery is horrible.

Tilt-o-meter is leaning towards deleting from season pass, but like a bad car wreck, so far, I have to stop and watch.

We will see.

The lead actress is photogenic, and she seems competent enough for the part. However, she nearly always wears an expression as if she smells something really bad. I don't know if it's intentional or not...

My daughter and I are enjoying the show. It's not very original or gripping, but it's pleasant enough. I guess I like Walter the best.

Doug
post #390 of 6444 Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon.

This has a good mixture for me. Pseudo-science, a mad scientist, a cow, some type of conspiracy going on in the background, and hopefully a "monster of the week".

That formula worked for the old (B&W) Outer Limits and the X-Files (well, except maybe for the cow). This one adds the excitement of dangerous letters that might fall on someone. Even better.

Shows like this are a nice change from others that I will not mention that ask me to try and keep track of ever changing timelines and such (though, of course, I am a faithful follower of them as well).

I'd rather watch this stuff than spend my time checking my IRA balances and watch them fluctuate a few thousand every few minutes.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page