post #5041 of 6444 Old 04-15-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

Just watched the last episode not too long ago and something just occurred to me...did they say "plane crash"? I thought they flew blimps in the alt-universe?

They fly blimps in New York because they use the Empire State Building as the airship dock it was originally designed for. The sight of airships distinguishes the universe when we flip over.

There isn't really any indication that they are used for mass transport so they could just be an alt-universe tourist attraction in NY.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 6444 Old 04-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Never noticed before the last episode that it's MANHATAN in the alt-verse, not Manhattan.
post #5043 of 6444 Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

Never noticed before the last episode that it's MANHATAN in the alt-verse, not Manhattan.

I've seen that before... but honestly, given the state of spelling and grammar... I was never sure it wasn't just a typo in the on-screen text. I see worse errors on the news, and often see errors in movies and tv shows... so I've never been sure that was real OR just a typo.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #5044 of 6444 Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

There isn't really any indication that they are used for mass transport so they could just be an alt-universe tourist attraction in NY.

Fauxlivia's boyfriend went to Texas to fight a smallpox outbreak or something like that in Season 3. When he returned, she picked him up at the ESB observation deck. Now, that doesn't mean all that much (it could be like a taxi service, as impractical as that sounds), but it certainly suggests they have a functional use beyond tourism.

Quote:

They've been consistent. My guess is it was probably an inside joke that they included due to a misspelling on a script or storyboard at some point during production.
post #5045 of 6444 Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

There's a brief discussion of them using that spelling for red-verse Manhattan two years back in this thread here.

Quote:

They fly blimps in New York because they use the Empire State Building as the airship dock it was originally designed for. The sight of airships distinguishes the universe when we flip over.

Here's an indication:

(Not a spoiler, just covering an image ). Seems like they're sort of like trains and/or cruise ships. I could swear that I've seen transition scene where there were multiple airships in the sky.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5046 of 6444 Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Walter's bonding with Fauxlivia was kind of cool. The loss of her partner has really brought out her softer side. Ain't lost that sexy swagga' though .

Also Walter's "My son and his girlfriend"! He's gone from not being able to look at Peter to über-proud father. Also from man who couldn't leave his lab for anything to guy venturing into the "other side". Quite a transformation over the course of the season.

Just like in season 1. He went from pysco ward shut in to a much more operational citizen lol. There are a number of parallels this season. Each case is similar to a case we had in a previous season. It will be interesting to see where they take the finale IF it's not the series finale this time. They have pretty big shoes to fill as I still feel that S1 finale is one of the best I've seen in a number of years.
post #5047 of 6444 Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Fauxlivia's boyfriend went to Texas to fight a smallpox outbreak or something like that in Season 3. When he returned, she picked him up at the ESB observation deck. Now, that doesn't mean all that much (it could be like a taxi service, as impractical as that sounds)

Taxi service sounds quite useful. Land at JFK on a regular jet and float directly into the center of the city. Just as many passengers as a bus with a direct route.

post #5048 of 6444 Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

Taxi service sounds quite useful. Land at JFK on a regular jet and float directly into the center of the city. Just as many passengers as a bus with a direct route.

As originally designed, things would bottleneck pretty quickly if you tried to use it for frequent travel. The ESB observation deck at the base of the airship mast (now used as a base for the large television antenna added later) is a very small room containing a small, ancient 6 passenger elevator that goes down to the main ESB observation deck. There is a single-file winding stairway that goes up from the airship mast base to the airship dock at the top of the mast. It's always been closed to the general public, although they did actually dock a blimp there once for testing. The passengers would have to transfer from the blimp to the building in the open air for a short distance, and they determined the winds are so strong up there at that altitude that it was just too dangerous to try to use it for it's intended purpose. Too bad, because it's a cool idea.

I was just there 3 weeks ago for a weekend getaway in the "Big Apple" so I saw those observation decks first-hand. Just as an aside, we saw the Spiderman musical - amazing nobody was injured considering how they were flying around through the theater space, landing on and jumping from balconies, etc.
post #5049 of 6444 Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I believe I've read that was precisely what was originally intended in NYC, until it was discovered that the updrafts around the ESB made it impractical.

Rocky
post #5050 of 6444 Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

As originally designed, things would bottleneck pretty quickly if you tried to use it for frequent travel.

Maybe in this universe...
post #5051 of 6444 Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just got around to watching Friday's episode...and as much as I enjoyed it, all I could keep thinking about was "why can't they remember to ditch the Vancouver mountains in post-production when they show New York in the background of some shots?"

I mean, I know the production budget was slashed this year...but c'mon.
post #5052 of 6444 Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Just got around to watching Friday's episode...and as much as I enjoyed it, all I could keep thinking about was "why can't they remember to ditch the Vancouver mountains in post-production when they show New York in the background of some shots?"

I mean, I know the production budget was slashed this year...but c'mon.

As someone who lived in Southern California, yet saw inconsistencies with L.A. locales being depicted in some cases terribly incorrectly on TV all the time...guess I either got used to such things, or simply love FRINGE enough to not really notice or care.

Hell...to this day, if I were asked picture the countryside of Korea, it would automatically conjure up images of the southern CA hills/mountains that doubled for that country in M*A*S*H.

FRINGE did lose a certain "epic-ness" in its location shooting when they permanently moved to Vancouver, esp when you look back @ S1 episodes shot in NYC. BUt the rest of its production values have, to me, been pretty consistent despite the budget constraints.

Of course, LOST had the added budget to attempt to make Honolulu look like several cities from around the world during its run - some turned out better than others.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5053 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Weren't we supposed to hear this week whether the show would get one more season?
post #5054 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

I believe I've read that was precisely what was originally intended in NYC, until it was discovered that the updrafts around the ESB made it impractical.

Still, it was ultra-cool to see the blimps used for that very purpose (including the passengers disembarking) in SKY CAPTAIN & THE WORLD OF TOMORROW.

post #5055 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

Weren't we supposed to hear this week whether the show would get one more season?

Seems to me I read somewhere the decision would be made in May.
post #5056 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Seems to me I read somewhere the decision would be made in May.

Actually it was supposed to be last week: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4991
post #5057 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Various people involved with the show have stated that two different endings were shot for the finale depending upon whether it turns out to be a season finale or series finale. It's also been stated that whatever the case, it concludes the story that began in the first season. Joshua Jackson, from this article:
Quote:

"The story as it finishes this year is really the ending of the story that was introduced in the first season, as much as it is the ending of this year's chapter of the show," he explained.

"But I can't tell you anything about it, because if I tell you who's involved in it, it'll give it away."

So if they don't get a fifth season, it sounds as though this is a pretty good place to finish it.

post #5058 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

According to showrunner Joel Wyman on Twitter two days ago ...

" Really cannot say. Could be soon, or next week. Don't know."

post #5059 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Well, I'll be saying my prayers to the god of TV for renewal, best you all do as well.
post #5060 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just when you think you have figured out what everything is about, they spring a whole new universe on ya?

...and isn't the "Fight the Future" name already taken?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #5061 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 154
Man this show those for me what no other Tv show does, it freaking entertain me and my gal..So much fun, hope there's a future for it or at least until it matures a bit more..

Awesome episode.

Djoel
post #5062 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I don't even know what to make of what happened tonight... and disappointed that it looks like they will leave us hanging (for now anyway) on the future shown in this episode. Opened up several cans of worms and all the worms went in different directions... and I bet we don't see a continuation of the story.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #5063 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes, this episode was a real bombshell!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #5064 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I don't even know what to make of what happened tonight... and disappointed that it looks like they will leave us hanging (for now anyway) on the future shown in this episode. Opened up several cans of worms and all the worms went in different directions... and I bet we don't see a continuation of the story.

Ah I don't think we have much to be concern about, I believe this epi was more of a WHAT IF story line, an elaborate filler sorta speak, well at least that's what I took from this one.Next weeks trailer seem to be back to business as usual. I thought it was change of pace, quite cool.

Djoel
post #5065 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Liked: 30
Holy crap wow what an episode! Great show tonight. Definitely a couple of audible gasps. Wasn't expecting to see Bell!
post #5066 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM

Wow OK I guess that this is the continuation of the new timeline, because things happened differently I guess that William Bell did not die. Also if I may speculate I believe it was hinted at in the first season that in some peoples hands (usually people who worked at massive dynamic) is a crystal device which contains a backup copy of a persons brain and that is why Walter took Bells hand. Finally that was a nice reveal at the end I had to rewatch that last five minutes because I thought I missed a scene in there, they really played with our expectations.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #5067 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Ah I don't think we have much to be concern about, I believe this epi was more of a WHAT IF story line, an elaborate filler sorta speak, well at least that's what I took from this one.Next weeks trailer seem to be back to business as usual. I thought it was change of pace, quite cool.

Djoel

This is ep# 19, traditionally the "weird one" of the season. The musical & animated episodes were also the 19th of their respective seasons.

This one also acts as a WHAT IF should the 5 th season happen, from what Ive read. Maybe not so much the 2030s, but perhaps the Observer situation in the present/near future

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5068 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Djoel

I saw this episode as Fringe's version of the Dollhouse season one finale episode Epitaph Part 1, which they used as a springboard to conclude the series with Epitaph Part 2.
I could see Fringe concluding the series with a follow up episode to this one...

Robert Clark
post #5069 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

... that is why Walter took Bells hand.

Astrid says, "But we need him, don't we? Otherwise, how are we going to get access--", then Walter says, "It's OK", shows her the hand and says, "We have everything we need." From this I assume that they need Bell's palm as a key to open something with.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that they never mentioned that Bell was still alive somewhere in the edited timeline.

I thought that Walter, after they restored his mind, seemed colder and more sane than in the story to this point. Perhaps it's just his insurgent mode.

post #5070 of 6444 Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I thought that Walter, after they restored his mind, seemed colder and more sane than in the story to this point. Perhaps it's just his insurgent mode.

Or perhaps it's because they restored his mind using the parts that made him cold and sane.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page