post #5221 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Basically, we haven't been told a LOT of what changed... including whether or not Bell is alive or dead or what in the new timeline. Since they haven't shown/told us... they could easily pull him out of their hat and especially IF they could convince Nimoy to come back since he did do an appearance (sort of) on Big Bang Theory recently... he hasn't "completely" retired from acting as was the original plan apparently.

It has been highly rumored as of late, based in part on recent comments from Nimoy himself, that he will return in the flesh as "original" Spock in the next JJ Abrams TREK film. AICN had a story that mentioned someone seeing what were reportedly Nimoy's "ambassador robes" on set.

If JJ convinced Nimoy to get in front of the camera for TREK 2 (or TREK XII, if counting all of 'em), seeing an alive & kicking William Bell is not out of the realm of possibilities next season.

Was the ambered Bell in the flash forward epsidoe just a special effect? I assumed both he & the ambered Walter were either sculptures made from head/body casts or possibly even digitally created.

IN terms of the timeline changes, I'm thinking that they may be dealt with during the final confrontation or at the resolution of the David Robert Jones battle.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Was the ambered Bell in the flash forward episode just a special effect? I assumed both he & the ambered Walter were either sculptures made from head/body casts or possibly even digitally created.

I assumed they either brought him in for a quick shot of him reaching out as we saw in the amber pose, or they could have just gone to his home and done the shot, then enhanced it with CGI in post. Neither approach would have been very taxing for him.
post #5223 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I assumed they either brought him in for a quick shot of him reaching out as we saw in the amber pose, or they could have just gone to his home and done the shot, then enhanced it with CGI in post. Neither approach would have been very taxing for him.

I tend to think it was cgi, they probably took an existing shot of him and used it. Maybe they just had to ask if he was ok with it but what we saw didn't require for him to be brought on the set. Yet I would like to see him back on the show the next season...
post #5224 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:

Yes... in this timeline Olivia was still replaced... but they didn't take her back to the red universe. They just held her captive somewhere.

In what episode were we told that?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5225 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just got around to watching the latest episode. Didn't really enjoy it, sadly. Since the alternate universe storyline was what made this show really tick over the last 3 years, I was sort of sad to see it (apparently) go. But it felt way too abbreviated considering what the viewers have been through over that timeframe.

All in all, I'm left scratching my head about season 4 as a whole. I wonder how many times the writers had to switch and condense storylines this season with the possibility of cancellation hovering over the show.

Hope the season finale can help make sense of everything that we've seen so far...
post #5226 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Just got around to watching the latest episode. Didn't really enjoy it, sadly. Since the alternate universe storyline was what made this show really tick over the last 3 years, I was sort of sad to see it (apparently) go.

But they're not really gone. Everyone is now respectively living their life in their universe, no? I'm sure we'll see them again (the 'red' ones).
post #5227 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I tend to think it was cgi, they probably took an existing shot of him and used it.

"The needs of the many..."

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #5228 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I tend to think it was cgi, they probably took an existing shot of him [Nimoy] and used it. Maybe they just had to ask if he was ok with it but what we saw didn't require for him to be brought on the set. Yet I would like to see him back on the show the next season...

Meanwhile, William Shatner is going to work until he turns 100 or falls over into his grave, whichever comes first. Heck, he's already been killed off twice in Trek and Priceline commercials. He was just in town a couple of weeks ago doing a one man show one what it's like to be the inexhaustible Shat. I understand it sold out.
post #5229 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

In what episode were we told that?

Not sure... but it was fairly early this season. It may have been one of the episodes before Peter came back. I'm pretty sure it was one where Olivia had to work with Fauxlivia on a case and then the discussion about what happened briefly in the new timeline to setup their antagonism.

Thing is... this Olivia had never crossed over as an adult... not until the Bridge was opened and she could freely walk over there. This Olivia hadn't had a reason to try her powers before.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #5230 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thing is... this Olivia had never crossed over as an adult... not until the Bridge was opened and she could freely walk over there. This Olivia hadn't had a reason to try her powers before.

I just remembered something that confirms that. In episode 8 of this season (tellingly entitled "Back To Where You've Never Been"), Olivia procures Walter's portal device from Massive Dynamics so that she and Agent Lee can go over without going through official channels. Peter says, "What do you even need Walter's device for when you can just cross back and forth anytime by yourself?" to which Olivia replies, "When I can what?"

post #5231 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just remembered something that confirms that. In episode 8 of this season (tellingly entitled "Back To Where You've Never Been"), Olivia procures Walter's portal device from Massive Dynamics so that she and Agent Lee can go over without going through official channels. Peter says, "What do you even need Walter's device for when you can just cross back and forth anytime by yourself?" to which Olivia replies, "When I can what?"

She's gradually been rebuilding her memories; maybe she can remember how to do it now.
post #5232 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Spock did a short interview in New York when the Enterprise landed. Looked pretty chipper to me.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #5233 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Liked: 10
I don't think we have seen the end of the alternate universe yet. I think it will be important in the season finale.

I hope the writers don't ignore things that happened in the previous 3 seasons because of the alternate timeline. This is similar to what happened in the "Dallas" TV show when Bobby woke up and said it was a dream.

If Bell comes back, he will be missing a hand.
Quote:

Just got around to watching the latest episode. Didn't really enjoy it, sadly. Since the alternate universe storyline was what made this show really tick over the last 3 years, I was sort of sad to see it (apparently) go. But it felt way too abbreviated considering what the viewers have been through over that timeframe.

All in all, I'm left scratching my head about season 4 as a whole. I wonder how many times the writers had to switch and condense storylines this season with the possibility of cancellation hovering over the show.

Hope the season finale can help make sense of everything that we've seen so far...

post #5234 of 6444 Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

Not until 2036 he won't...

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #5235 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think we have seen the end of the alternate universe yet. I think it will be important in the season finale.

I hope the writers don't ignore things that happened in the previous 3 seasons because of the alternate timeline. This is similar to what happened in the "Dallas" TV show when Bobby woke up and said it was a dream.

It already feels like the importance of the previous 3 seasons has diminished a bit b/c of season 4, which is a shame. Just hope they don't throw it all out the window now with the expectation that the Observers will become the new Big Bads.
post #5236 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

It already feels like the importance of the previous 3 seasons has diminished a bit b/c of season 4, which is a shame. Just hope they don't throw it all out the window now with the expectation that the Observers will become the new Big Bads.

Remember in Season 1 when Peter found a hand in a jar in Walter's station wagon? I wouldn't be so quick to assume they've thrown out the original timeline just yet.
post #5237 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

It already feels like the importance of the previous 3 seasons has diminished a bit b/c of season 4, which is a shame.

Quote:

They lost their way and can't find how to get back.

A major shame what they did to the story this year.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #5238 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

They lost their way and can't find how to get back.

A major shame what they did to the story this year.

Well, let's be fair...we don't know this just yet. Despite my grumblings I'd like to think that this has all gone down according to their original plans for the show. They haven't let us down yet.
post #5239 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Remember in Season 1 when Peter found a hand in a jar in Walter's station wagon? I wouldn't be so quick to assume they've thrown out the original timeline just yet.

I had totally forgotten about that. For some reason I kept noticing a typewriter in a few scenes during the lab breakout two weeks ago-but I can't remember if it was the typewriter that Walter confirmed as being used to type up the ZFT. Probably just a stage prop.
post #5240 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Well, let's be fair...we don't know this just yet. Despite my grumblings I'd like to think that this has all gone down according to their original plans for the show. They haven't let us down yet.

That's what I said before the finale of Lost. That turned out to be, in my opinion, and that of many others, a colossal let-down. It was what they had decided on all along, I suppose, but it was intellectually VERY unsatisfying.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5241 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It became abundantly clear, at least to me, that the Lost writers had no idea what they were doing beyond Season 1. Conversely, I think the Fringe writers didn't even figure out what they wanted the show to be until the end of Season 1.

In Fringe's case, I don't think it will be fair to judge the Amber timeline reset until the end of the season. Fringe seems to progress in roughly season-long chapters (with Season 3 feeling more like two chapters).
post #5242 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It became abundantly clear, at least to me, that the Lost writers had no idea what they were doing beyond Season 1. Conversely, I think the Fringe writers didn't even figure out what they wanted the show to be until the end of Season 1.

In Fringe's case, I don't think it will be fair to judge the Amber timeline reset until the end of the season. Fringe seems to progress in roughly season-long chapters (with Season 3 feeling more like two chapters).

I think it was one of the showrunners that mentioned Fringe could either go 5 or 7 seasons with the storyline that they had plotted out. Wish I could find that original interview, but Wyman recently confirmed that they had enough ideas for "seven seasons". (Not like he'd cop to them making it up as they go, though) I'm guessing that as the ratings sank, they started to condense some of season 5 plot points into season 4, which may be why this Observer storyline just sort of came out of nowhere.
post #5243 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

With an additional 13 episode season 5, there is no telling what may happen.
post #5244 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think that the two universe thing has pretty much run its course. Stopping Jones is the only conflict there--the two Fringe teams have become friendly allies. With the bridge shut down the red universe won't continue to heal but it won't get any worse. The machine remains something of a paradoxical mystery but I suspect that we won't ever be given any insight into that.

post #5245 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Interesting that in a recent interview the showrunners said they only taped one ending to this season which was done when they did not know if Season 5 would occur...they said it is an ending that would work for a season OR series finale...makes me afraid that Season 4 will tie up so many lose ends that Season 5 will feel "tacked on" or a "reboot"...I guess we will see soon enough...
post #5246 of 6444 Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

Interesting that in a recent interview the showrunners said they only taped one ending to this season which was done when they did not know if Season 5 would occur...they said it is an ending that would work for a season OR series finale...makes me afraid that Season 4 will tie up so many lose ends that Season 5 will feel "tacked on" or a "reboot"...I guess we will see soon enough...

There have been multiple articles where cast members have claimed that they shot two endings, like this one:
Quote:

There is still a chance that FOX will greenlight a Season 5, and it's looking likely that "Fringe" may get a 13-episode final season to give fans a chance to say goodbye. If this is the case, the "Fringe" team has you covered for one crazy cliffhanger finale, because the cast shot an additional finale ending that will be used if it looks like Season 5 is happening.

post #5247 of 6444 Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

'Fringe' Producers Say No Alternate Ending for Finale Shot"

No, we did not shoot an alternate ending," showrunner J.H. Wyman told reporters on a conference call.

The Hollywood Reporter
3:04 PM PDT 5/2/2012 by Philiana Ng

Fringe showrunners and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman are setting the record straight on speculation that an alternate ending was shot for the season four closer in case the Fox drama did not return in the fall.

"No we did not shot an allternate ending," Wyman told reporters on a recent conference call when asked whether the other scene would be on the season DVD set. "We thought about it, but we did not."

It had been revealed in interviews by cast members that there were two potential endings filmed, depending on the show's fate.

The producers share when and how they found out about the season five pickup, which was given the green light April 26. Pinkner and Wyman said that they knew of the renewal four hours before the news went public.

"I was actually getting a guitar fixed," Wyman recalled. " I got a call, and it was all these very happy voices. It was an incredible call because it was [unexpected]. It was music to my ears." Pinkner, on the other hand, had just dropped off his kids at school when he got a call from the studio and network.

The producers are aware of how the ultimate story will end.

"We definitely know where the series is going to end and how it's going to end and what we're saying with the final season," Wyman said.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
They also revealed that a revisit to 2036 could happen in season five, that there are "no plans right now" to bring back Sam Weiss (Kevin Corrigan) and that they would love to have Leonard Nimoy return to reprise his role as William Bell.

Also, if there is "a significant story" that isn't fully covered by the time the series ends, the producers are open to the idea of continuing the arc via comic books.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-ending-319573

Note: There are additional spoilers at the web site.
post #5248 of 6444 Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

That's disappointing news in that spoiler regarding the first character mentioned. I always thought that there would be more story behind/involving that particular guy. It always felt like he had a much larger role to play.
post #5249 of 6444 Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's interesting that multiple members of the cast (Jackson, Noble and Reddick), who would have been involved in filming an alternate ending, apparently lied about having done so. Doesn't seem like much of a joke.

One assumes that there won't be any shocking cliffhanger, since they were content for the ending to be the end of the story.

Quote:

Note: There are additional spoilers at the web site.

Not so far as I can see--that link just leads to what you quoted.

post #5250 of 6444 Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

It's interesting that multiple members of the cast (Jackson, Noble and Reddick), who would have been involved in filming an alternate ending, apparently lied about having done so. Doesn't seem like much of a joke.

One assumes that there won't be any shocking cliffhanger, since they were content for the ending to be the end of the story.

Not so far as I can see--that link just leads to what you quoted.

Before the false news of 2 endings, I seem to recall a story regarding this season & its potential future that said something along the lines of this season's finale would manage to basically tie up the main story arcs that began in S1 & act as a fairly satisfying end if renewal did not come to pass.....but that one particular thread would remain that could be explored in a 5th.

Guess we'll start getting a better idea come tomorrow evening...

But I still wonder.....why change the title of the S4 Finale? Went from End Game to Brave New World several days before the official word on renewal was issued. That title swap sure seems like they went from "this is the end" to "WooHoo!!! 13 more hours!!", which I assumed meant we get the not so final ending.

Either way - FRINGE is still on into late 2012/early 2013 (depending on FOX). I'm content.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page