"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6444 Old 01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
These lame changes make you wonder from where or whom the motivation to make them originated: the network suits interfering, the exec producers attempting to 'change directions creatively', or what? I agree completely with the concerns expressed; I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I hope they don't let the boyfriend story die, because his last communication with her opened a world of writing opportunities - "I saw you in the dream." Is she imagining this because his memories are in her head? Or is it real? Or...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6444 Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found the Observer in the episode "No Brainer" -- could he look more added in post production?

Found where Olivia is racing home in her SUV to try and save her niece. He's standing on the sidewalk.
LL
post #813 of 6444 Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post

Found the Observer in the episode "No Brainer" -- could he look more added in post production?

Found where Olivia is racing home in her SUV to try and save her niece. He's standing on the sidewalk.

Interesting and I agree it doesn't look like he was really there in the shot as filmed.
post #814 of 6444 Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

They probably forgot he was supposed to be in every episode somewhere, and had to add him in post-haste.

Another comment about the Harris character- I feel like its the same character that Gaston played in Jericho. Just a mean ol' person for no real reason, who somehow ends up in a position of power, and holds grudges for the sake of holding grudges and with the ability to do something about it.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #815 of 6444 Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Another comment about the Harris character- I feel like its the same character that Gaston played in Jericho. Just a mean ol' person for no real reason, who somehow ends up in a position of power, and holds grudges for the sake of holding grudges and with the ability to do something about it.

Probably. I hope this show is at least a little bit better than that. I hope they at least will expose the people above him that allowed him to go on his crusade. Otherwise this will be exactly the same as those adversaries that House gets every season.
post #816 of 6444 Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet View Post

It looked to me at times olivia had a soft lens shoot her.I could be mistaken,but the other faces seemed more clear.

Peter gets the soft lens treatment too. Walter tends to be quite clear, and you can always see every pore and pimple on Broyles' head.
post #817 of 6444 Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

The show just seems goofy at times, I was hoping for a more serial type, but unfortunately, ratings wise, serials just won't work, even long arcs don't seem to work, even though I enjoy them more than any other type of show, there just aren't enough of us, and the ratings problem taints all that would make a show great.

Well, that's the issue, isn't it? There are those of us who want a complex, serialized, continuing story arc to comprise the bulk of the show (and which comprises the "enthusiastic fan" contingent with the accompanying buzz), but the networks are now convinced that the only chance of survival in today's TV landscape is to make each episode self-contained with a weekly mystery that can get solved and wrapped in 42 minutes so Joe Sixpack can drop in and out without feeling like he's "missed something". Fringe actually has more program time, which is laudable, but what's the point if the programs are going to be as lame as this past week's? Totally forgettable episode which doesn't advance the primary plotline one iota. Agree with everyone else who says the Harris character is a ridiculous and pathetic plot device.

In a few weeks, we'll see the debut of another show that's going to try the hybrid approach, 'Dollhouse'. Based on the snippets I've seen, I am not encouraged. But, at least, it will have Whedon's imagination and wit going for it. Don't know if that will be enough to get it more than 5 or 6 million viewers.

If they don't at least explore the ongoing mystery with the cartel, cabal, coven, or whatever it is, along with the connection to Massive Dynamics every week, then it just becomes a lame freak-of-the-week show with a cast that's not charismatic enough to carry the show on their own. It looks like they want to basically follow the formula of 'The X-Files', but without the cast chemistry and wit. Walter can't carry this show on his own, the casting of an Aussie in the lead was a mistake (I'm sorry, but I think a big part of her problem is she's too hung up with getting the accent right to inject any emotion into her part), and there's just nothing compelling to make you want to come back for more. It's a shame because, airing after the Big Karaoke Show, it's got enough ratings points to be essentially bulletproof. They have an opportunity to do more with it, but it looks like they're going to try to take the easy way out.
post #818 of 6444 Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Olivia's little sis gets hotter with each episode.

No kidding. After this weeks episiode, I have come to the conclusion that all the actress can do is sultry/pouty with a "**** me" look in her eyes

Makes it very difficult to tell if she likes Peter, wants to bone her sister, or has nefarious designs on her daughter, the paperman, the Observer, or anyone else who shares a scene with her :P
post #819 of 6444 Old 01-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

Well, that's the issue, isn't it? There are those of us who want a complex, serialized, continuing story arc to comprise the bulk of the show (and which comprises the "enthusiastic fan" contingent with the accompanying buzz), but the networks are now convinced that the only chance of survival in today's TV landscape is to make each episode self-contained with a weekly mystery that can get solved and wrapped in 42 minutes so Joe Sixpack can drop in and out without feeling like he's "missed something". Fringe actually has more program time, which is laudable, but what's the point if the programs are going to be as lame as this past week's? Totally forgettable episode which doesn't advance the primary plotline one iota. Agree with everyone else who says the Harris character is a ridiculous and pathetic plot device.

In a few weeks, we'll see the debut of another show that's going to try the hybrid approach, 'Dollhouse'. Based on the snippets I've seen, I am not encouraged. But, at least, it will have Whedon's imagination and wit going for it. Don't know if that will be enough to get it more than 5 or 6 million viewers.

If they don't at least explore the ongoing mystery with the cartel, cabal, coven, or whatever it is, along with the connection to Massive Dynamics every week, then it just becomes a lame freak-of-the-week show with a cast that's not charismatic enough to carry the show on their own. It looks like they want to basically follow the formula of 'The X-Files', but without the cast chemistry and wit. Walter can't carry this show on his own, the casting of an Aussie in the lead was a mistake (I'm sorry, but I think a big part of her problem is she's too hung up with getting the accent right to inject any emotion into her part), and there's just nothing compelling to make you want to come back for more. It's a shame because, airing after the Big Karaoke Show, it's got enough ratings points to be essentially bulletproof. They have an opportunity to do more with it, but it looks like they're going to try to take the easy way out.

Very well stated. While I completely agree with all of it, the show is still entertaining enough that I like it in any form - serialized or not.

I much prefer a serialized approach, but serialized shows are not getting much audience love nowadays, beyond a few exceptions, and the Networks are gun shy about giving any decent chance to a show that the average Joe sixpack can't start watching in the middle somewhere. It's a shame, but it's today's Network world I think.

IMO, this is still better than much of the other crap on TV, even in it's current form. Maybe as it progresses and continues to retain viewership, they might be so bold as to serialize it some. Nah, what can I be thinking?
post #820 of 6444 Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

Very well stated. While I completely agree with all of it, the show is still entertaining enough that I like it in any form - serialized or not.

I much prefer a serialized approach, but serialized shows are not getting much audience love nowadays, beyond a few exceptions, and the Networks are gun shy about giving any decent chance to a show that the average Joe sixpack can't start watching in the middle somewhere. It's a shame, but it's today's Network world I think.

IMO, this is still better than much of the other crap on TV, even in it's current form. Maybe as it progresses and continues to retain viewership, they might be so bold as to serialize it some. Nah, what can I be thinking?

I like serials to a point, but I don't need every show to be a serial.....most of what I watch is (Lost, Terminator, 24, BSG, SG:A, etc). I don't mind self-contained episodes with an underlying plot (Fringe, Chuck for example).

That being said, Fringe isn't very good. The "Where's Wally" approach of the observer is annoying. Torv's wooden acting really gets on my nerves as well. The scene where she's questioning the kid at the body shop was horrible, and the same with questionning the car dealer. The other actors were fine, but her delivery of questions was horrible. Although I did like her "I'm not judging you" reaction with the salesman.

Episode itself wasn't very good. I particularly got a slight geekdle (geek-giddle) that there are Apples everywhere, but when a killer computer virus is on the loose, they're Windows machines (or appeared to be).
post #821 of 6444 Old 01-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Spotted that too. There was a very unnatural look to it, which also made me think it was done in post-production.

-Jr.
post #822 of 6444 Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm hoping that these stand alone episodes are just to bring the post Idol crowd in to the fold with as little confusion as possible, and that they begin to work in the earlier story lines, but I'm not holding my breath. Agent Harris has got to go. I'm on the fence about Torv's character. I think the main problem is the way she is written. Olivia has been thru a lot and she isn't filled in entirely on what is going on. I'm not familiar at all with Torv so I can't say her acting skills are all wooden,she seems engaging enough with her sister, but cold with everyone else. Not a very easy lead to build a series around.
post #823 of 6444 Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Our local affiliate here in Cedar Rapids Iowa did not flip the switch (must have been out feeding the chickens) and the whole thing was in SD. I recorded it but might not watch it until rerun time. Crap, sure can tell its Iowa.
post #824 of 6444 Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

I'm hoping that these stand alone episodes are just to bring the post Idol crowd in to the fold with as little confusion as possible, and that they begin to work in the earlier story lines, but I'm not holding my breath. Agent Harris has got to go. I'm on the fence about Torv's character. I think the main problem is the way she is written. Olivia has been thru a lot and she isn't filled in entirely on what is going on. I'm not familiar at all with Torv so I can't say her acting skills are all wooden,she seems engaging enough with her sister, but cold with everyone else. Not a very easy lead to build a series around.

I think for the next few episodes we are going to get what Fringe fans call "filler", we then go on a break so they can finsih filming the rest of the season, after this second break I think we may get back to the story line. I have a feeling that these episodes might ahve been done quick and dirty, since they were not sure if the show was coming back or not after the first run. Since FOx has given the go ahead, we may get back to normal in April.

Personally though I dont mind these episodes, Harris is actually holding up the original investigation since now that would include Oliva's abduction which she is forbidden to investigate.

I could be totally off with these comments though as my memory about when they taped is fuzzy at best.
post #825 of 6444 Old 02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Tonight was much better than the previous two outings. Let's see--minimal sister/niece coverage, no Harris, cool porcupine dude, and an apparent end to the John Scott appearances/storyline.

But no mention of The Pattern again.
post #826 of 6444 Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb View Post

Tonight was much better than the previous two outings. Let's see--minimal sister/niece coverage, no Harris, cool porcupine dude, and an apparent end to the John Scott appearances/storyline.

Ahh, but next week the "pattern" plot returns........Also, we had the appearance of "The Leaf" in the show as well (not the fist time either).....All in all a good episode I am wondering though what flew out of the plane right before it crashed, as I dont think it was a victim. I also missed the blad man as well ..

I thought it was a good close to the John Scott story line, but we may see a reapearnce down the line (JMHO though), I also thought it was interesting that Broyles knew that MD was keeping Scott in the basement....
post #827 of 6444 Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No Harris was the biggie. He was starting to look like the death of the show. Hopefully he never, ever, ever frakkin returns. One of the worst, most pointless characters ever tossed into any show in the middle of a season. Pure lazy studio thinking ("We gotta have an antagonist!!!").

Did anyone else start humming the music from Sonic the Hedgehog? Supremely awesome badness.

Quote:

I think The Pattern is dead. The not-bad guys at some point told Olivia that The Pattern is just a wild goose chase.

Disappointingly, I think the big reveal for Season One is going to be that the bad guys aren't really bad guys.

In that regard, I'm glad the show is not heavily serialized. Because the big plot is nothing short of jerking the audience around.

Of course, as long as the show continues dispensing increasingly ridiculous Monsters of the Week, I'll be happy.
post #828 of 6444 Old 02-03-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm with the rest, I liked this week's episode, I noticed something flying off the plane right before it crashed also, it might have been 'The Observer'
post #829 of 6444 Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Haven't read any of the comments on this week's episode, yet, but this'un's lookin' like a keeper!

...and Olivia's sister retains her hottness increase per episode trend.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #830 of 6444 Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm with the rest, I liked this week's episode, I noticed something flying off the plane right before it crashed also, it might have been 'The Observer'

I thought that too, but didnt notice him in the plane, of course I was distracted and didnt go over it again.
post #831 of 6444 Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I think pattern was implied but not directly mentioned in this episode.
post #832 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Just an FYI; Fringe Stars Anna Torv and Mark Valley married last month. Interesting.
post #833 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post

Just an FYI; Fringe Stars Anna Torv and Mark Valley married last month. Interesting.

Maybe that's why they brought an end to that plot line..........the chemistry just wasn't there.

The problem with obsessions is that they are insatiable.
post #834 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

I noticed something flying off the plane right before it crashed also, it might have been 'The Observer'

Maybe it was Dan Vasser or Olivia

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #835 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 399
At first I thought the body we saw to the right of the plane as it was crashing was the virus created monster. But when we saw the body on the ground, it was badly burned, which supports a strong inference that he was still aboard the plane when it crashed.

Torv's expressions continue to range from zoned out to looking like she is smelling something bad. She is young and pretty but, based on Fringe anyway, she is not the world's best actress -- to put it gently.
post #836 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Torv's expressions continue to range from zoned out to looking like she is smelling something bad. She is young and pretty but, based on Fringe anyway, she is not the world's best actress -- to put it gently.

I spend a lot of every episode trying to figure out if I think that she is pretty. She is certainly attractive but in an unconventional way.

I suspect that she is playing the character as she is written: emotionally-guarded and wary of others. Or maybe Walter smells bad -- given the stuf he plays with in the lab I wouldn't be surprised.
post #837 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Carlo View Post

I spend a lot of every episode trying to figure out if I think that she is pretty. She is certainly attractive but in an unconventional way.

I suspect that she is playing the character as she is written: emotionally-guarded and wary of others. Or maybe Walter smells bad -- given the stuf he plays with in the lab I wouldn't be surprised.

She is attractive and I'm sure the budget was pretty good for this show and I've got to believe they got who they wanted for the role. I'm sure she's playing the role they way they want her to, she can be personable when she wants to be. Blame the writers and directors, etc if you don't like the character, but I really believe she's playing Dunham the way they intended.
post #838 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Thought it funny that the Bruce Banner-like guy on the plane essentially "Hulk'd out."
post #839 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Olivia is kinda growing on me. I was a big critic, her acting is still not on par with the rest but she's getting better.
post #840 of 6444 Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Haven't read any of the comments on this week's episode, yet, but this'un's lookin' like a keeper!

...and Olivia's sister retains her hottness increase per episode trend.

Sis has come a long way since she was Meadow's annoying roomate in college.

Shut the door... he's pulling his goalie!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page