"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hey, is that Borimer's father from LotR? (the custodian of that big castle?)

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Note to self:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Never tell someone you love them, because that means you will be snuffed out or horribly disfigured within the next act of the show you are on.

Wow, what a start- is this supposed to be the "gross you out Halloween" episode? I will hate to see what the real Halloween episode will have in it...

hahaha...JJ finally got his Jack-moment and killed off who we thought would be the main male lead (assuming you didn't know Joshua Jackson was cast)

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #63 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Any bets if there will be a cameo appearance of any "slusho product" within the series?

post #64 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 368
As pilots go I thought this was mediocre. It felt like a leftover script from The Burning Zone and reminded me of Threshold.

The whole show had no tension or sense of mystery. It was a stupid idea to base the entire pilot about a quest to save the life of one person that the audience has zero connection with. It should have been a larger scale threat affecting more than just one person. I didn't care that Agent Scott was saved and I didn't care when he died.

They also added one of my pet hates as well. The dream sequence cliche. I've never seen a convincing dream sequence yet. They all look extremely fake and contrived and this was just the same. For once I'd like a director to actually realize that some dreams occur from first person and in mundane environments.

There were a couple of moments that woke me up. The crazy scientist guy was easily the highlight and the I Robot arm and talk of the "Pattern" made me forget I was watching a Sci-Fi episode of House. The prop or CGI model of Scott in transparent form was extremely well done.

The creators kept saying "this is not The X-Files" and then dropped a handprint into the opening titles and The X-Files was the first thing I thought of! I was expecting Mark Snow's theme to kick in at that point.

And JJ really likes his 3D type doesn't he? The first few times it looked pretty cool but after a while it was just a visual distraction that pulled you out of the scene. At least this means JJ might clean up the crappy quality of the 3D title on Lost now.

I'll give this one season. If it lasts that long.

post #65 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Interesting how they made the Steward of Gondor look like Saddam Hussein when he was captured.

Anna Torv. Not bad looking but not drop dead gorgeous.

The location graphics remind me of those like in Panic Room, which was similar to Psycho IIRC. Since those types of graphics aren't used that often, it seems fresh.

It is X-files-ish, especially with the prologue event on the plane, and the gore.

Oh, and I hope that Fox isn't turning into TNT with the in program announcements of other shows.

post #66 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

Oh, and I hope that Fox isn't turning into TNT with the in program announcements of other shows.

I knew they would do that. When they announced the "remote-free TV" concept I knew it was too good to be true. Fox are now making up for their lack of promo time by increasing in-show promo time.

I'd rather have the regular length ads and no snipes.

post #67 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Er uh, not, uh, not that intriguing. Great gross out scary start then it took a detour when Agent "I Love You!" got infected. He'd only been on the screen for about 15 minutes and I already didn't like him so he could have turned into a blob of goo for all I cared. I guess we were supposed to like him because the pretty agent did except I didn't care about her either. Oh, wasn't she supposed to be finding out about the killer disease before more people die? Of course not. The survival of Agent "He Loves Me!" is more important.

Then, what, an hour of talking and talking and talking with some annoying prick that calls women "honey" and "sweetheart" like he's Humphrey Bogart and an over-the-top insane quirky genius because on television shows geniuses are all crazy because we sane people are too dumb to understand them. Naturally he goes perfectly sane and smart once the plot demands it.

I gave up on it once they started the Vulcan mind meld. Ugh! Too bad Lance Reddick is being typecast into law enforcement roles after so many great years on the Wire.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #68 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

The location graphics remind me of those like in Panic Room, which was similar to Psycho IIRC. Since those types of graphics aren't used that often, it seems fresh.

It was obnoxious. Especially when none of the locations meant anything. The locations could have just as soon been Seattle or Pittsburgh and it would have made zero difference to the story.

I hate location graphics in general. If the location matters, find a landmark that defines that location and just skip the graphic. Our screens are already too cluttered with bad uses of graphics without people thinking of new ways to annoy us needlessly.
post #69 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

It was obnoxious. Especially when none of the locations meant anything. The locations could have just as soon been Seattle or Pittsburgh and it would have made zero difference to the story.

They all meant "Remember when I did the location titles on Alias? This is ten times more clever! Because they're ten times more expensive!"

post #70 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you write for the Onion, scowl? I didn't hate the show as much as you, but I liked your write-up.

post #71 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

80 minutes into the show and the Millenium Group shows up?! Who woulda thunk?

Then about 5 min later, we are fortunately spared of the potentially awkward moment that would go something like this:

I know you said I love you, and then I told you that I love you, but right now, I'm thinking I'm not in love with you. I mean, you were practically a jello mold 15 minutes ago. I saw your insides and not in a good way. Stuking you with that in my mind is just, like icky? So-uh, friends?

post #72 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 09:57 PM

I don't know about all of you, but great show! And basically here's why, it was fun to watch and I want to see what happens next. I didn't watch it to compare it to other shows or over analyse it.

- Richard
post #73 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbike-dude View Post

LOST repackaged, no thanks.

WTF? Did you even watch the show? There is very little similarity between the 2 shows other than the "dramatic music into a commercial break" that Abrams loves so much.

The visuals, story, cast composition, theme and premise are all quite different from Lost.

I enjoyed the show and will be watching in the future.

PS I always love when the internet millionaires/talent agents start criticizing an actresses looks, as if anyone on here would kick Anna Torv out of bed or even have the balls to tell her you don't like the way she looks. Yep, it's always easier to criticize someone's looks when your hiding behind a monitor with no way for anyone to tell you how they think you look.
post #74 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm a dead ringer for that Mr. Dreamy MacSteamy guy!

Seriously though, I enjoyed the show. The visuals were cool...high production value- it's just going to be a bit strenuous to take the mood of the show seriously, I'm expecting.

post #75 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrich94 View Post

I don't know about all of you, but great show! And basically here's why, it was fun to watch and I want to see what happens next. I didn't watch it to compare it to other shows or over analyse it.

^^^ Totally agree.
post #76 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I started to lose interest right away in the first half of the show, but then the second half of the show gradually started to pick up and it grasped my attention. All in all it was a decent pilot. I hope this show turns out to be pretty good.

By the way, did anyone notice that Torv's face varied from shot to shot at times? In some scenes you could clearly see her freckles, but then in the same scene when the camera went back to her you didn't notice it as much. Maybe its just me.
post #77 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you write for the Onion, scowl? I didn't hate the show as much as you, but I liked your write-up.

I love Television Without Pity (who will surely do a much funnier recap) and I've seen every episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Growing up reading Mad Magazine probably defined my sense of humor early on.

post #78 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Hey, is that Borimer's father from LotR? (the custodian of that big castle?)

correct ... last seen on fire, diving from a cliff.
post #79 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrich94 View Post

I didn't watch it to compare it to other shows or over analyse it.

Neither did I. Pity then that the show follows on from so many other shows that have the same premise that it make the similarities obvious.

Special team of experts that investigate strange phenomenon and top secret things. The list for that show outline is miles long. You have to have some large creative balls to try that now and make the formula fresh, and from this pilot they don't have those in the writing department.

post #80 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

By the way, did anyone notice that Torv's face varied from shot to shot at times? In some scenes you could clearly see her freckles, but then in the same scene when the camera went back to her you didn't notice it as much. Maybe its just me.

I didn't notice but maybe you were seeing some evidence of the pilot reshoot.

post #81 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbike-dude View Post

LOST repackaged, no thanks.

Huh? Nothing at all like LOST. What it is is X-FILES meets ALIAS, and both the wife and myself (both big JJ Abrams fans) thought it underwhelming.
post #82 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

Huh? Nothing at all like LOST. What it is is X-FILES meets ALIAS, and both the wife and myself (both big JJ Abrams fans) thought it underwhelming.

The X files analogy doesn't work either except for the "Creepy unknown mystery" angle. Fringe looks to be science based issues born and bred by humanity where X files was more extra terrestrials and alien type stuff.
post #83 of 6444 Old 09-09-2008, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

hahaha...JJ finally got his Jack-moment and killed off who we thought would be the main male lead (assuming you didn't know Joshua Jackson was cast)

Killed off????

You watched this pilot, right? Maybe you missed the part about the reanimation and where his body is taken into that company's lab at the end.

I suspect he'll be back.

I am surprised that no one considers the twist lame as I did when I saw it in July. But some of the negative reviews are spot on.
post #84 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I liked it. Kind of an X-files meets Alias type of thing.

Most of the negativity seems to be stemming from an increasingly cynical audience.
post #85 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

The X files analogy doesn't work either except for the "Creepy unknown mystery" angle. Fringe looks to be science based issues born and bred by humanity where X files was more extra terrestrials and alien type stuff.

No it wasn't. If you think that you never watched many of the episodes.

XF had plenty of stories that were based on science experiments gone wrong, genetic mutations or strange natural phenomenon . Next week's Fringe episode is about rapid aging, which was also the subject of an XF episode - Dod Kalm - and also had a "science" explanation.

post #86 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

i liked it too, it kinda reminds me of house a little. it was weird, some scenes olivia was super cute, some scenes she looked very tomboyish... can't put my finger on it, but it has something to do with those freckles...
post #87 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Killed off????

You watched this pilot, right? Maybe you missed the part about the reanimation and where his body is taken into that company's lab at the end.

I suspect he'll be back.

I am surprised that no one considers the twist lame as I did when I saw it in July. But some of the negative reviews are spot on.

I was groaning at the screen when I thought they were going to re-animate him as a recurring villain, but then the scientist states they are to just prep him for interrogation because he's only been dead 5 hours. That means he probably won't be back in physical form but his consciousness might be. Maybe they store brain patterns in their lab so they can drop them into other people.

post #88 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 01:56 AM
O2C
Advanced Member

I also thought Walter said he could do his mind meld / dream thingy with corpses up to six hours old (because after then they were really dead).
post #89 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Im with ya...did anyone notice the stain on the tooth of the corporate receptionist for Massive Dynamic? Was it lipstick? HD just isnt friendly for some people

Mike
XBOX 360 Gamertag : SCJagfan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #90 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Great PQ but not enough to keep me watching.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page