post #901 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

The DVR is one of those "game changing" technologies like cell phones and toasters. Pretty soon everyone is going to have to have one. And that's the network's worst nightmare, because their entire business model is being obsoleted as we speak. But the DVR penetration rate is still low enough that they can still play their little scheduling games, trying to eek out an advantage over their rivals on any given night, playing with lead-ins and lead-outs, overruns and underruns. The dual-tuner DVR is the primary weapon against that, and makes scheduling simple. If you have conflicts, well, you just have to pay attention and apply the appropriate triage when necessary. Or, do like many of us here do - just add enough tuners to obviate any potential conflicts. Or, and this is the really simple one - just watch less TV. I hear reading can be fun.

I know this is veering off-topic, but I was trying to find penetration rates for DVRs. The only thing I could find was from 2007 assuming penetration would be about 50% in 2009, but nothing recent.

If I had that many issues as Dregun seems to, I would just cough up another $5 a month for another DVR from my provider, which would give me 4 tuners. Problem solved.

I wonder if we'll start seeing 3 or 4 tuner DVRs from cable/satellite companies in the future....haven't heard of anything like that, other than in the HTPC arena. The market probably isn't there for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I think there's a dedicated DVR forum on AVS here as well. Personally I guess I dont' have many issues he's complaining about with my DVR though. Rarely do I have conflicts, and my season pass list is in the low 40's (not sure if that's a lot for this group or not). I rarely worry about it, but as mentioned earlier, I do some season pass maintenance to make sure they are prioritized correctly. Of course your mileage varies depending on which shows you record.

Same here.

I don't pad any shows except for The Unit and my TiVo has not missed any part of any show shown in the last year. Most of my recordings run from 59min to 61min on a weekly basis, as scheduled by the network, with the occasional extended length episode thrown in.

Now, I am on the east coast, so I'm not subject to potential affiliate "tape delays" that may be seen in some parts of the country.
post #903 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

II wonder if we'll start seeing 3 or 4 tuner DVRs from cable/satellite companies in the future....haven't heard of anything like that, other than in the HTPC arena. The market probably isn't there for that.

It's not that it's technologically difficult. I've heard of test models that will record 10 HD streams simultaneously while playing back an eleventh. No problemo for these modern hard drives and fast processors; just a function of buffer size and delay.
post #904 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

I know this is veering off-topic, but I was trying to find penetration rates for DVRs. The only thing I could find was from 2007 assuming penetration would be about 50% in 2009, but nothing recent.

I googled "DVR market penetration 2008" and found this piece from November. They give some numbers from a recent Nielsen study for a variety of US markets (here in San Diego, it's apparently 38%). They keep referring to the "national average" without saying what it is , but this sentence is telling:
Quote:
Seven smaller Texas DMAs have DVR penetration rates at 28% or higher, all above the national average.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #905 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Same here.

I don't pad any shows except for The Unit and my TiVo has not missed any part of any show shown in the last year. Most of my recordings run from 59min to 61min on a weekly basis, as scheduled by the network, with the occasional extended length episode thrown in.

Now, I am on the east coast, so I'm not subject to potential affiliate "tape delays" that may be seen in some parts of the country.

Same here. The only show I have setup my TiVo to pad is the Unit and that probably is no longer necessary, now that the NFL season is over. I missed the last few seconds of Heros the other night because of the president's TV appearance but didn't miss anything significant.

If the current penetration of DVRs really is only in the 20 to 30 percent range, it's depressing. I bought my first DVR, a TiVo Series 1, in 2000 and have not been without one since. In fact, I now have two DVRs connected to my main HDTV, a TiVo Series3 and a Cox OKC furnished SA 8300HD. I watch virtually nothing live anymore, with the exception of a few televised football and basketball games. Even that is rare.
post #906 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Same here. The only show I have setup my TiVo to pad is the Unit and that probably is no longer necessary, now that the NFL season is over. I missed the last few seconds of Heros the other night because of the president's TV appearance but didn't miss anything significant.

If the current penetration of DVRs really is only in the 20 to 30 percent range, it's depressing. I bought my first DVR, a TiVo Series 1, in 2000 and have not been without one since. In fact, I now have two DVRs connected to my main HDTV, a TiVo Series3 and a Cox OKC furnished SA 8300HD. I watch virtually nothing live anymore, with the exception of a few televised football and basketball games. Even that is rare.

Yeah, if the penetration is really that low, I don't get it. I know of nobody except my parents without one, so apparently I'm not hanging out with the right (wrong?) people. Plus, all providers offer them now for peanuts (I pay like $5 a month for each one of mine from DirecTv)

I got my first Tivo way back before I even knew what a Tivo was. I won it, and really had no clue what the heck it was when it showed up in the mail. I was like "What the hell is a Tivo?" I think it was the end of '99 when I got it. Best thing I've ever won...really changed my life (and yes, I know how pathetic that sounds). As soon as I started showing it to people, they were running out to buy one.
post #907 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

The DVR is one of those "game changing" technologies...

Agreed!
In our family..... I have a TivoHD and a HTPC (in case I need a 3rd hi-def tuner), My wife has a ReplayTV and the kids share the dual tuner cable company SA8300HD DVR.
We don't watch even one show live any more. When you have 10 minutes of commercials in a 30 minute show- it's not efficient use of your time to watch it live. I watched some old episodes of the classic 60's series "The Saint" the other night... the content was 53m35s long. Only six minutes of commercials in a sixty minute time slot. At that rate you hardly notice the commercials and just barely have time for a quick trip to the john or fridge. Today's (except for Fringe & Dollhouse) sixty minute programs have an intolerable 20 minutes of commercials- enough time for me to take a shower and then raid the fridge afterward.
The way it is now with these long commercial breaks and the way the shows keep hopscotching all over the schedule- I hardly know how you could stand to watch the stuff live any longer.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #908 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Rob -- Does your 8300HD have SARA or Passport software. Mine has SARA. If there is a downside to my TiVo S3 it is that it makes me hate my 8300's SARA software, which is primitive, limited, and often unreliable.

Why anybody would watch a show live anymore simply escapes me. I have rented a lot of TV series on BD lately and have learned that the average episode is about 42 minutes long. Thus, 30% of each 60 minute time slot is spent on stuff other than the show. Yikes!
post #909 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 145
i liked the episode, the theory about Peter being the one is a real curveball if they decide to go that direction but hey, anything is possible given the ending of this episode and walter's typwriter

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #910 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

If the current penetration of DVRs really is only in the 20 to 30 percent range, it's depressing.

I'm not sure why that depresses you. Why should you care that other people haven't discovered the joys of DVR use ?

While I know a number of other DVR enthusiasts, I also know people who use television in a completely different fashion. They own VCRs and DVD recorders, with which to catch the odd specific program, but they don't follow any serial television. They sometimes veg-out in front of the tube, watching whatever happens to be on or to watch some sporting event. Those people could care less about DVRs.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #911 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Yeah, if the penetration is really that low, I don't get it. I know of nobody except my parents without one, so apparently I'm not hanging out with the right (wrong?) people. Plus, all providers offer them now for peanuts (I pay like $5 a month for each one of mine from DirecTv)

Some providers want more peanuts than others. Cox Phoenix wanted $18.00/mo for equipment rental and $5.00/mo for guide data. (As owner of a TiVo S2 with lifetime sub I was able to get a TiVo HD and transfer the sub for what two years of a Cox rental would have cost me.)
post #912 of 6444 Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Rob -- Does your 8300HD have SARA or Passport software. Mine has SARA. If there is a downside to my TiVo S3 it is that it makes me hate my 8300's SARA software, which is primitive, limited, and often unreliable.

My SA8300HD has SARA... I agree it's primitive, especially when compared to the TiVoHD. But, it's been very reliable except for one stretch of a few days when the kids stacked their DVD cases on top of it completely covering the vent holes. Once I freed up the venting it started working perfectly again.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #913 of 6444 Old 02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

You know, because being able to teleport humans didn't quite work without side effects, but being able to teleport non-living matter wouldn't come in handy at all. Nope, I don't see any practical uses for that. You know, like trucks, tankers, ships, etc that ship stuff all over the world....nope...no uses there.

To drag this thread back on topic ...

maybe they ascribe to the Terminator theory that only living matter can be moved through space and/or time. Although there is also the question of using the locator beacon or whatever it was that Jones had to hold in order to be transported.

I find it's kind of getting old and predictable that Walter seems to be responsible for everything too. My money is still on him being the founder of Massive Dynamic and it's being kept secret to avoid paying him royalties and having to avoid changing the title of the company stationery to "Walter Bishop's Mad Science Lab".

Overall apart from one more "homage" (this time to Videodrome) in the bland computer episode, this season I find far more interesting and varied than all of last combined except The Observer episode. They finally seem to have shifted away from the old "weird disease/Walter perfroms crazy experiment/patient cured" formula. Adding the annoying Boss-man has made the workplace slightly more interesting.

Finding out that Liv (as everyone seems to have started calling her) was the result of an experiment does bring back memories of Scully in the X-Files, but I guess if the payoff gives her telekinetic superpowers that could make things more varied. I hope she doesn't have to wave her finger and hands around to indicate when she's using her mind though.

post #914 of 6444 Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
A little OT but pertaining to the show- Warner is going to be bringing out S1 on Blu-Ray, which is good news for those of us who are fans. I will definitely be picking up a copy (if it's reasonably priced of course).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #915 of 6444 Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One other thing, I wasn't that enthusiastic about watching this season but got around to a four episode marathon over the past two days.

Now I'm actually intrigued by what's happening again and interested to see the next episode only to find it's being replace by the pointless plastic pop star factory of American Idol until April. Typical.

post #916 of 6444 Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I find it's kind of getting old and predictable that Walter seems to be responsible for everything too.

But, Walter isn't, in point of fact, responsible for any of it.

The Observer is. The Observer could have just as soon let Walter die years ago. He didn't. And he saved Walter for a reason.

Whatever the relationship between the Observer and Walter is, it seems to contradict the manifesto, if we are to assume the Observer represents the opposing faction from the manifesto.
post #917 of 6444 Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
hello all,

comcast philly only recorded one minute of tuesday's show. this is set in my dvr's schedule to recorded every tuesday 9p-10p. don't know what happened?

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #918 of 6444 Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Mine was unwatchable with a lot of blocking and dropouts. Sounds like it might have been a network problem.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #919 of 6444 Old 02-15-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

hello all,

comcast philly only recorded one minute of tuesday's show. this is set in my dvr's schedule to recorded every tuesday 9p-10p. don't know what happened?

Mine recorded fine in South Jersey with the Comcast DVR. I do have it set up to start 5 minutes early though with all the Idol time slot crap they pull. Fringe is usually listed as starting at 9:01 in the guide. How are you setting up the recording? A series recording based on the title Fringe or a repeating manual recording of Fox from 9-10 on Tuesdays? The manual will not work when the start time is listed as 9:01.
post #920 of 6444 Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

But, Walter isn't, in point of fact, responsible for any of it.

The Observer is. The Observer could have just as soon let Walter die years ago. He didn't. And he saved Walter for a reason.

Of course Walter is reponsible. That's been noted over several pages in this thread.

Weird viral experiment? Probably something Walter was researching. Weird flashing light thing from last season. Here's Walter again and an old experiment. The creation of Massive Dynamic? Another Walter related link. Teleportation? Walter again. And now the manifesto appears to have been something written by Walter before he went nuts.

In terms of the show you might want to trace this all back to one single moment in the past that altered the future etc. but in terms of writing devices the fact the most episodes revolve around "here's what Walter used to do" is becoming predictable.

I wouldn't be surprised if an old experiment Walter tried to cross dimensions is the cause of the war he wrote about in the manifesto and what drove him insane.

post #921 of 6444 Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Or written by his lab partner (on his typewriter) who went on to found Massive Dynamics...

v/r,
C-F
post #922 of 6444 Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

Or written by his lab partner (on his typewriter) who went on to found Massive Dynamics...

v/r,
C-F

That's possible too but in light of the fact there is no evidence pointing to that guy actually existing in the show, I'm still expecting him to be Walter's imaginary friend.

post #923 of 6444 Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm enjoying this crazy show, and the cast of characters is interesting. But the new anti-Dunham boss/investigator is a bit too cliche -- his obstructionism is too predictable and stale.

But Walter (nee Denethor) is a hoot! Even if he were only there for comic relief, that would be worthwhile. But he's got a bigger role in the story arc, and that's interesting as well. I like that Astrid and he are slowly developing a little bit of a bond.

Every time we see Blair Brown in her MD office, she seems to have no working materials of any kind, as if she's just there constantly waiting for the next visit by Agent Dunham. That's silly, but it almost works in a creepy way. And what kind of PDA was that she had in the most recent ep? It looked like a piece of smoked glass, with no source of power, but a vr-type interface to all MD records and more. Strange/silly, but cool anyway.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #924 of 6444 Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 145
Is there a fringe drinking game yet? Me the the 'ole lady was gu'na do some shots you see. Every time there was an incre'ibly preposterous yet en'ertainin segment dedicayted to science, we would drink see. It would be fun!

---

In other news, I agree that Walter being a larger part of the whole universe is very interesting but at the same time, he's got to have some sort of supervillanous counter part (as previously mentioned, the enigmatic Billy Bell). Or is he?

Anyways, can't wait for new eisodes! This is much more fun than Heroes to watch (this coming from a devoted Heroes watcher guy)

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #925 of 6444 Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Has Fringe been renewed for next season? Thanks for any info
post #926 of 6444 Old 02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet View Post

The short answer: No

The longer answer is: That's not really a big deal. The networks very rarely announce renewals this early. There are a few exceptions, like NBC gave renewals to "The Office," "30 Rock" and "Biggest Loser" a few weeks ago, but those are really the only shows so far to "officially" be renewed for next season. We will probably start hearing about renewals for most shows in March & April. Fox has renewed much lower rated shows before (Sarah Connor Chronicles) so I would think Fringe has a good shot at renewal.

Rocky
post #927 of 6444 Old 02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet View Post

Show has not been picked up for Season 2 yet, BUT there are still ~7 epidoes left in this season. So al least IMO it may be a little early for them to renew it. Especially since they may need to move filming to Canada as they are having "problems" with NY.

THe shows ratings are not great, but they are far from bad. It was doing about ~10 mil viewers a week as well as being in the top 2-3 for the night for the 18-49 demo. IF I had to guess the show will get a second season if it can keep the numbers.
post #928 of 6444 Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

A little OT but pertaining to the show- Warner is going to be bringing out S1 on Blu-Ray, which is good news for those of us who are fans. I will definitely be picking up a copy (if it's reasonably priced of course).

It's good news that we will get a blu-ray at all. Knowing Warner they will probably skimp on the audio and go with standard dolby digital instead using of any of the lossless audio formats.
post #929 of 6444 Old 02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's Warner?! Uh-oh, lookout... If that is the case, it will be curious to see if they break their trend for applying dnr and cranking down the bitrate, as well. The end result is softened image and loss of any original noise signature. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the Fringe "look" definitely incorporates a layer of noise, by design. It would be a shame to see that aspect of the image corrupted.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #930 of 6444 Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 PM
O2C
Advanced Member

From how they've been selling ads, I wouldn't be surprised if Fringe were picked up. Then again, if later episodes have been as expensive as the pilot, I don't know how Fox could afford to do so. I suspect we'll see a renewal but with some fairly significant budget cuts. That's of course predicated by the ratings remaining decent.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page