"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
This is the type of show where we will get the same set of jokers telling us they hate it and then they will watch each and every episode and post here how much they hate it.

Argee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I don't know. I liked it, kind of. I will try to stick with it. Comic momments were great. But at times it felt like they went to far. Like when that director of the Murdock corporation took her skin off and her hand was a perfect cyborg hand. Fully functional, thin, very human movements. We are just so far from making something like that. Her's was so thin and perfect movements. It just kind of pushed it over the limit for me. I thought the directors were all saying that everything on the show was within our grasp. I don't think the kind of arm/hand they showed is within our grasp. I also didn't like they dream linking part, to out there.

I guess if I have to suspend more belief I will but I was under the impression the directors kept talking about how it is science we are close to. I don't think talking to dead people 5 hours later or re-animation is within our grasps.

This show was a classic example of why actors hate HD. On some of the main character's close ups she had so much makeup on you could see it cracking and you could see all her skin blemishes, pimples, etc. showing through the thick makeup.

post #93 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Decent show and as I said prior to the pilot airing the ending just seemed a bit forced for Joshua Jacksons character. I guess I missed the part where I'm supposed to care why he would just go along with things. It just seems like his character through the course of the pilot didn't really need to be there and has no reason to continue. This show is still on my DVR list mostly because there isn't anything else to watch on tuesday nights and if it gets cancelled I don't think I would miss it very much.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #94 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After all the negativity, I expected the worse, but I liked it for the most part. I actually like the location graphics, but I'm a sucker for interesting styles and special effects. My complaints are pretty much the same as everyone else's:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

1) The whole dream sequence / Vulcan mind meld thing. Did I miss the part where he invented this awesome technology and no one know about it? Plus, I hate that plot device in general anyways.

2) Expecting me to care about someone who is on screen all of 2 minutes before getting hurt.

3) Being able to not only identify a subject, but capture him, interrogate him, and synthesize a cure in less than 24 hours. I wish real life was like that.

My biggest complaint is that I guess I am getting tired of the whole 'all knowing, all-powerful evil corporation' plot device, ala Lost / Alias / Prison Break, etc. And I think I might find it more annoying when they're dealing with supernatural stuff like teleportation, reanimation, etc.

Anyways, the pilot was good enough for me to continue watching it a few more episodes to see how it develops.
post #95 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bet at some point J.J Abrams will hint at Lost vaguely to tie that into this show a bit. I think that one of the evil corporation characters in Fringe is also from Lost as one of the Dharma guys. Just a theory as in the past Lost has been referenced in other things as part of the "expanded universe" easter eggs for the fans to enjoy.

Edit* From another site someone mentioned:

The man that they chased at the U-Hauls had ticket 108 on the Plane Flight.

4+8+15+16+23+42 = 108

I guess there is your LOST easter egg for the episode.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #96 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 634
There were three adults in the room watching and we were all kind of disappointed. Just underwhelmed with the characters & premise. Seen it, done it all before. If you've seen one guy with transparent skin you've seen 'em all, right? Did love Anna Torv; I find her very sexy in a more "accessible" way than the usual TV starlet, if that makes any sense. But it seems miles away from LOST quality. Don't know if this one is going to be a keeper or not; will probably depend on how crowded the schedule gets. Whedon's 'Dollhouse' is coming in January and that will probably be "must-see-TV" for me. This one, I dunno....
post #97 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Underwhelming...which is probably why it landed on FOX as opposed to a "real" network.
post #98 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

This is the type of show where we will get the same set of jokers telling us they hate it and then they will watch each and every episode and post here how much they hate it.

lol yup...guaranteed

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #99 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I have mixed feelings about it.

Well, to get off on a good note, let me first say that I expected a lot worse based upon the comments of those who had seen the pilot in advance. Unfortunately, that's one of the few good notes I can offer until further episodes become available.

What I didn't like (in no particular order):

The blonde definitely still has to go. Her acting was more unbelievable than anything else in the whole program. I didn't believe her as a fed, as a scientist, or as a woman in love. I did however believe her as someone who could probably find her mark on a stage, with the help of an infatuated drama coach.

And to make matters worse, you strip a good-looking blonde down to her black bra and panties, and normally you've got my undivided attention for awile. I couldn't believe she was almost as boring half-nude, as she was fully dressed. I had been hoping for something with a little more sex appeal than Ovaltine.

I know there are a few here that like her, and I can only conclude that perhaps something about her that reminds them of a high school teacher or college professor that they used to have sex fantasies about.

Mark Valley - Okay, but no better. I always considered him to be a smarmy version of Joel Gretsch , although Gretsch tended to be more believable. Maybe they should have used Valley & Gretsch as the Siegert twins

Oh, and speaking of Valley, making him look like Heath Ledger's Joker after the car accident took place towards the end, did little to help the show's cred.

Lance Reddick - As a mysterious and enigmatic figure on LOST, he's great. As a stuffed shirt G-Man, nowhere near as interesting. He seemed to lose some juice without the menacing style.

The overuse of the 3D letters indicating the location struck me as a Hey mom, look what I did moment.

LSD as a panacea or mode of enhanced communication? Lots of theories floating around about this while I was living in Boston during the late 60's - early 70's, but it never really panned out. You know its got to be Fox when drug use is being encouraged, no matter how surrepticiously.

What I did like: (thought I'd never get here, huh? ) The Scientist. He was the only one on board who didn't come across as a cardboard cut-out. character. And his eccentricities provided what little comedy relief that could be found. How come USA is the only network where someone remembers it is the characters (and not the leads) who usually make or break a show?

The Siegert Bros. : On a personal level, I've always been fascinated by the psychological aspects of identical twins. I hope this is explored further and doesn't degrade into a simple cloning scenario.

I heartily agree with all those who share X-file concerns, but I'm willing to give this show another couple of eps to remedy its growing pains without appearing like the obvious X-files/Millenium cross-over that others have observed.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #100 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of petty criticisms in this thread that just seem off the wall. I think it's pretty unfair to slam the cast after one episode.

I watched the pilot for the first time last night and went in with just the expectation that I would be entertained. I enjoyed the pilot well enough and am looking forward to seeing where the show goes next.
post #101 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The big advantage Fringe will have this fall is that it is a different than the rest of its competition. The disadvantage is that one of those competitors is Dancing With the Stars. And Fringe has a good lead-in with House, but lead-ins mean very little these days.

I know this much. If I'm gonna try to watch anything when it airs Tuesday night, it's House. And If I don't have any work to get done that night I could see Fringe being decent enough to justify sitting on my butt another hour.
post #102 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of petty criticisms in this thread that just seem off the wall. I think it's pretty unfair to slam the cast after one episode.

I watched the pilot for the first time last night and went in with just the expectation that I would be entertained. I enjoyed the pilot well enough and am looking forward to seeing where the show goes next.

I can concede criticisms on the Pilot, it's an unknown, but when it's still going on in 3 or 4 weeks from now, is when it will get really ridiculous. Makes you wonder how people can be so masochistic and suffer through these shows that they deem so horrendous.
post #103 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Excellent show! I can't believe all the negative comments here; I thought the show was great. The first few minutes demanded that you watch the rest. Nice plot twist toward the end. Plus, how can you not like the steward of Gandor, Lord Denethor, in the show. He's a great actor. I love the cow. Plus, the gal is a hottie. All in all, and both my dad and I agree, so it must be so, great show.
post #104 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

The big advantage Fringe will have this fall is that it is a different than the rest of its competition. The disadvantage is that one of those competitors is Dancing With the Stars. And Fringe has a good lead-in with House, but lead-ins mean very little these days.

Despite the sensory overload of promos for Fringe the first episode got beat last night by America's Got Talent on NBC.

post #105 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lots of theories floating around about this while I was living in Boston during the late ‘60’s – early ‘70’s, but it never really panned out.

Lol
That's Old School..

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #106 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

Excellent show! I can't believe all the negative comments here; I thought the show was great. The first few minutes demanded that you watch the rest. Nice plot twist toward the end. Plus, how can you not like the steward of Gandor, Lord Denethor, in the show. He's a great actor. I love the cow. Plus, the gal is a hottie. All in all, and both my dad and I agree, so it must be so, great show.

I thought Joshua Jackson as the son was good too, he had some decent lines. He seems like a perfect fit.
post #107 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
NitPicks:
They transfer this highly classified clearSkin/unkown afflicted agent, that the best medical minds are aware of & have been studying, to a dusty basement lab across town, & there is virtually no one posted there to work with the kook doctor, or guard the facility .... If there were at least 3 other medical professionals & 8 guards/agents, it would have been more realistic.

When they bring back the Twin to the Gvmt headquarters to question him, in this classified important case, they allow that unknown civilian doctors son to get/be alone where there's a private closed circuit feed of the interrogation ... NEVER would happen .... & then he's able to walk into wherever the prisoner's room was, ALONE, with no ID ... NEVER would happen...

"I can't explain , but for this to work I need you to be in your underwear please... Not completely Nude, Not partially clothed, but in your underwear....."
post #108 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yeah, that interrogation scene was kinda brutal. I guess that was supposed to be the hardcore Jack Bauer moment!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #109 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

I liked it enough to keep watching it for a while.
I really enjoyed the use of the 5.1 sound. Lots of left vs. right stuff as well as good surround moments, plus one of the best subwoofer uses by a TV show I can remember.

I'm still not convinced see-through skin is reversible, though. I know when my tuna fish sandwich leaks in my lunch bag, there's no way I've been able to find to un-transparentize the brown paper.

Mitch
post #110 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Precisely
post #111 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Despite the sensory overload of promos for Fringe the first episode got beat last night by America's Got Talent on NBC.

Yeah ... Fringe's chances don't look strong once stronger shows start hitting. And this is minding the AGT doesn't have much talent this year. One time I've tuned in seen one decent act. The other times have been cringe-inducingly awful.

So... yeah ...

We'll see. For my part, I'll give Fringe a chance to see if it grows or not. Not exactly a big commitment considering there's nothing else on at that time.

I suspect if anything kills Fringe it's going to be the Monster of the Week format. Shows rarely survive using MoW. In fact, most people consider drowning in MoW to be when X-Files jumped the shark.
post #112 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't read all this thread, but read enough to see that many loved this premiere.

Wow, I thought it was horrible. The trailors for the upcoming season looks good (storywise), but the main actors have no chemistry together in my opinion. They are all disconnected. I thought the main acrtress' performance was some of the worst acting I've seen in a long time. My wife watched 30 minutes of it with and and then went upstairs to watch something else because she was laughing so hard at the acting. I will say, it got better further into the episode, but I still found the entire thing laughable. I'll give it another couple tries though. I really do WANT to like this show

Tony
post #113 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, I will be one of those people who probably won't like the show but will watch every episode and complain about them. Fringe will be like Bionic Woman was to me last season.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #114 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The fact AGT is even on the air still means America's Got No Taste. It's horrible, even by reality TV American Idol Wannabe standards.
post #115 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I bet the head of that huge corporation will turn out to be not even real or a robot or just a computer personallity. Something like that. Just seemed to convienent he was out of town and that lady was handling everthing.

post #116 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM

Damn. I missed it. Where can I see the pilot now?
post #117 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM

good start,can they keep it up.
post #118 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Actually, considering it's lead-in this fall is 'House', and will be the 800lb gorilla that is AI for the second half of its season, I'd say 'Fringe's future is as bulletproof as it gets. This show is going to have to really work at tanking with those lead-ins.
post #119 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

I suspect if anything kills Fringe it's going to be the Monster of the Week format. Shows rarely survive using MoW. In fact, most people consider drowning in MoW to be when X-Files jumped the shark.

Really? I thought the first couple of seasons of X-files were STRONGLY MoW-centric, and I lost interest when so much effort was spent on the abduction/cancer man/black eye juice/neck stabbing stuff that I KNEW it would never come together.

Obviously Fringe dropped a bazillion clues to further developments. So many in fact they succeeded in making their lead star look like an inept, whiney, punk relying on her looks to get anywhere. At no point did we see her act as a "liason" for anything, and aside from some google-fu and convincing a rather swishy man to join her team, she did nothing that the black lead agent couldn't have done instead. It took swishy to "break" the bad guy, heck he was the one who CAUGHT the bad guy!

I'll keep watching because Walter amuses me and hopefully they manage to be more creative with the cases. But I suspect most eps will start with an odd phenomenon, the Agents will show up, and Walter will say something along the lines of "I was working on something like this back in 1985...." and off we go! They have until Heroes and Chuck start anyway, by then my TV time is gonna be limited.
post #120 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Dammit! I set the DVR to record it on the regular Fox instead of the Fox HD channel. How is the HD pic on this series?

cheezz

After having witnessed the mugging of a snail by a fellow snail, the investigating officer asked the DMP-BD30 what happened to which the BD player replied "I don't remember...it happened so fast."
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page