"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I thought Walter's hand to Olivia's face was awkward and creepy especially after Peter had comforted her in a similar and more effective way earler in the episode. I don't think Walter made the connection between the adult Olivia and the child in the video right away. There's probably a lot from his past experiments that he only has vague recollectons of. But now that he knows the little girl is the grown up Olivia it will be interesting to see how he deals with it and how Peter reacts if and when it comes to light. Was Broyles ordered to recruit Olivia because of her past or did he recruit her on his own knowing of her past ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 12:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

I thought Walter's hand to Olivia's face was awkward and creepy especially after Peter had comforted her in a similar and more effective way earler in the episode. I don't think Walter made the connection between the adult Olivia and the child in the video right away. There's probably a lot from his past experiments that he only has vague recollectons of. But now that he knows the little girl is the grown up Olivia it will be interesting to see how he deals with it and how Peter reacts if and when it comes to light. Was Broyles ordered to recruit Olivia because of her past or did he recruit her on his own knowing of her past ?

I would tend to agree with you about the recognition, but I think Walter called her "Olive" right before or as he was trying to comfort her. To my best recollection the only other person to call her that was Nick, and I do not beleive that any of the other crew were around to here that. Once he called her Olive I think it set of bells and whistles in her head as well, which is why she backed off with a "hurt" look on her face. He then went to confirm the "memory" with the video tape in the end (which he did, to his own dismay).

I also agree theres alot Walter doesnt remember or chooses not to remember about the past. THis is where a lot of the people have issues with the show. When Walter all of a sudden remembers that he did an experiement simillar to a case they are doing(besides him having a hand in almost every case so far). Personally I dont mind it, and Walter's quirks make the show fun.

I do not believe Broyles was\\is fully aware of Oliva and her past. It appears he may have been "pushed" in the right direction to get her by the "supergroup" of people that we have only seen once so far in the series. The reason the show gives is that she did a good job with her initial case with Scott. Broyles liked her work and wanted to bring her in, not unitl Scott got killed did "she" want to join the group. If you think about it, this allmost follows the ZFT where the recruits would be at first unwilling.......

Its late and some of the above might not make sense to me in the AM so forgive me if I rambled...
Old 04-26-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
J.J. Abrams on the Magic of Mystery

Great article in this month's Wired. He talks about his obsession with puzzles, and there are some other nice little presents I won't spoil for you.

BTW, there's a comments section where people leave notes on the article, and this is what happens when I get when I hit "see all comments":

=0)document.write(unescape('%3C')+'\\!-'+'-') //-->

Coincidence?!?!

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not a bad episode, but every major plot scheme seemed to be telegraphed:
  1. His wife wasn't were he told them she was
  2. He wasn't gonna be able to actually tell them what he knew about ZFT (course they strung out how he did, then used it as a cliffhanger)
  3. the wife (a hottie BTW) was gonna be cured, but at some cost
  4. bald guy makes an appearance
  5. Hottie wife was gonna break free while in the back seat.
  6. many more...

Still better than most of what's out there, no pun intended. I'm just wondering how an STD type disease can cause your teeth to morph at will, then change back to normal when cured.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post

Not a bad episode, but every major plot scheme seemed to be telegraphed:
  1. His wife wasn't were he told them she was
  2. He wasn't gonna be able to actually tell them what he knew about ZFT (course they strung out how he did, then used it as a cliffhanger)
  3. the wife (a hottie BTW) was gonna be cured, but at some cost
  4. bald guy makes an appearance
  5. Hottie wife was gonna break free while in the back seat.
  6. many more...

Still better than most of what's out there, no pun intended. I'm just wondering how an STD type disease can cause your teeth to morph at will, then change back to normal when cured.

C'mon now werent you paying attention???

The Syphilis strain they were using was only part of the "home brew" they infected her with.... .......This drug well call it was engineered to do the things it did, to create a human "monster" or whatever he called it.

Not a bad episode at all, but next week looks even better ......
Old 04-29-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;16362530 View Post

The Syphilis strain they were using was only part of the "home brew" they infected her with.... .......engineered to do the things it did,

That damn Walter can cure anything given enough time and resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Agreed, looks like our mysterious friend makes a cameo appearance.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Episode was ok. Not sure how those morphed teeth looked like human bite marks though.

As someone who is horrible with names, can someone remind me who the guy funding the experiment was? They threw out the name like it was a big cliffhanger, and I have no idea who they are talking about since the name meant nothing to me, so if someone could remind me which character he is, that would help.

Best line for me was "Oh you're hot...but I'm looking for someone with syphillis"
Old 04-29-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Episode was ok. Not sure how those morphed teeth looked like human bite marks though.

As someone who is horrible with names, can someone remind me who the guy funding the experiment was? They threw out the name like it was a big cliffhanger, and I have no idea who they are talking about since the name meant nothing to me, so if someone could remind me which character he is, that would help.

Best line for me was "Oh you're hot...but I'm looking for someone with syphillis"

William Bell aka "Belly" the Head and founder of Massive Dynamics and Walters previous Lab partner. He was the other male voice on the tape when they where showing Olivia as a child. I would say who (actor) it is, but that has already been spoiled in this thread and if someone missed it I dont want to bring it back to the forefront..

That line did make me LOL when he said it.

Only 2 more episodes left and it looks like they are trying to go out with a bang.....
Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

William Bell was Walter's research partner, back in the days when they were doing all the bizarre experiments that Walter keeps remembering, related to the strange occurences that they're investigating. William Bell was founder of the sinister Massive Dynamics coporation.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Bell will apparently be portrayed by Leonard Nimoy (hence the Spock joke in the trailer for the next episode ).
They didn't say that he was funding just that particular experiment, but the whole ZFT terrorist group. (ZFT is for "Zerstorung durch Fortschritte der Technologie"--"Destruction by Advancement of Technology" in English. They found a copy of the group's manifesto in an earlier episode).

Walter refers to him as "Belly" (which explains the pre-commercial-break glyph message in last week's episode ). If anyone's interested, this week's glyph message is: EDIT: Sorry--I didn't realize that Ph8te responded to the question, having placed Ph8te on my ignore list during his interminable exchange of 50-page messages with Emaych, which was making the thread unreadable . I've removed him from the list.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope Fringe gets renewed for next season,I think its on the bubble.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet View Post

Hope Fringe gets renewed for next season,I think its on the bubble.

I don't think so--it's tied (with Lie to Me) for fourth place on Fox, behind American Idol, House and 24. It's got stronger ratings than Bones. It will be interesting to see how it fares without the strongest lead-in on TV, but we won't have to see that this season.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I erased my recording before I realized I didn't observe the Observer in last night's episode.

Also, what was the cipher? (That's not spoiler to tell right? I mean once it has been shown, someone can just tell everyone else and we'll be cool about it, right?)
Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I erased my recording before I realized I didn't observe the Observer in last night's episode.

he showed up rather early, walking behind the guy in the 1st scene while he was in the bar.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't think so--it's tied (with Lie to Me) for fourth place on Fox, behind American Idol, House and 24. It's got stronger ratings than Bones. It will be interesting to see how it fares without the strongest lead-in on TV, but we won't have to see that this season.

I thought it was already renewed? I know they've already shot one episode for season 2 and they're in the process of moving their sets/equipment to Vancouver.

I'll see if I can find more info.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Also, what was the cipher? (That's not spoiler to tell right? I mean once it has been shown, someone can just tell everyone else and we'll be cool about it, right?)

I think it was "Belly" which is the nickname for Walter's former partner and the founder of Massive Dynamics.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Last week's was "BELLY", Walter's nickname for William Bell. This week's is: (I put spoiler tags around it in case someone who hasn't watched it wants to decode it for himself).

Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Mike, to what in the world does this week's code relate?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

I think it was "Belly" which is the nickname for Walter's former partner and the founder of Massive Dynamics.

I believe the Evil Company's name is actually "Massive Dynamic."
Old 04-29-2009, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

I thought it was already renewed? I know they've already shot one episode for season 2 and they're in the process of moving their sets/equipment to Vancouver.

I'll see if I can find more info.

It has not been renewd yet publicly at least..The shows numbers though are pretty solid from week to week. This would indicate that they may have a solid base which has been watchin the show from the beginning ~10 Mil people. It also has the highest 18-49 Demo for its time slot which is another bonus. Sonsidering how many multi week braks this show has had I would say its a good thing that it has remained so solid. Personally I think there will be at least a second season, as FOX will want to see how this show can do on its own without an AI lead in.

As for the Glyph code, I still havent seen anyone figure out what it relates to.

Also, on the Observer, I think he showed up twice, but have only been able to independendantly verify one appearance.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Maybe it's just a heterograph relating to the episode?

WAG.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

Maybe it's just a heterograph relating to the episode?

WAG.

It may also have to do with next weeks episode....
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

This week's episode was a bridge to the finale. They didn't want to just start unloading big reveals on the audience.

Was it one of the weaker episodes of the year? Yeah. But, I think anyone familiar with a serialized show will appreciate what they're doing here in terms of trying not to spring everything on the audience at once.

I'm actually increasingly impressed with the big plot. For a while I wasn't sold that I'd ever care for where that went.

I still think Massive Dynamic is a weak foil, but I also don't think that's where they're going long term. The implication, especially from what was said this week, is that Massive Dynamic and Bell aren't remotely as aware as they should be of what they are bringing about. I suspect the long term plot is more to the effect that Massive Dynamic is stumbling forward faster than they can control things, and that is why the Observers are here.

As for the Monster of the Week . . . we got to see some cheesy severed heads. You know a show is crazy when severed heads are probably the most ho-hum thing they've shown all year.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

It has not been renewd yet publicly at least..The shows numbers though are pretty solid from week to week. This would indicate that they may have a solid base which has been watchin the show from the beginning ~10 Mil people.

To be blunt, Fringe is that point that if it were canceled two things would happen:

1. Another network would gladly pick it up.
2. Someone at Fox would be promptly fired.

The only reason a well-viewed show gets canceled is cost. The best example of that was Back to You, which Fox killed despite good ratings because the cast was way too expensive. I don't see Fringe's budget trending into that territory for a couple more years. By then, House will be winding down, and Fox will need Fringe enough that they will pony up the cash.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

As for the Monster of the Week . . . we got to see some cheesy severed heads. You know a show is crazy when severed heads are probably the most ho-hum thing they've shown all year.

gotta love it

Walter... "....and I have a cow!"

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Old 04-30-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
My favorite part of the episode was when the two mad scientists decide that the best way to combat super-syphillis is with super-penecillin!

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 04-30-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I for one am tired of Peter's snarky interjections every time Walter offers an idea. He doesn't even allow Walter to finish his thought but immediately jumps in with a 'yeah right, and I'm the queen of sheba' comment. Considering Walter is eventually proven right every time and all his nutty proposals work every week, you'd think Peter'd learn to shut it.

It's as if Peter is the stand in for the audience that has never seen an episode before. Weak.

Well, I think it comes more from Peter's extreme cynicism. He is also much into the scam/thief-underground so he always feels to me like he is constantly looking for the scam, looking for the angle; that they tend to be real seems to increase his opposition to the premise. It also gives some comedic flavor to his conversations with his Father as they go back and forth.

Also, what's with the 'Simpson-ism', i.e. that he calls his father by his first name "Walter"? There was some file that was alluded to about his 'specialness' that Walter seems to be hiding, but, why no, "hey Dad"?

erik g
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaderson View Post

Also, what's with the 'Simpson-ism', i.e. that he calls his father by his first name "Walter"? There was some file that was alluded to about his 'specialness' that Walter seems to be hiding, but, why no, "hey Dad"?

"Dad" is a term of endearment and respect (or should be). Peter started out very much estranged from his father, harboring a lot of anger and contempt for him--he didn't want anything to do with the project and when he relented to participate, it was supposed to be for a short time only (he only became committed after that episode with "the beacon" and the Observer). Apparently Walter was a bit on the cold and detached side before his hospitalization and it would have been hard for a young boy not to see the hospitalization itself as abandonment, of both himself and his mother. Whether that intellectually makes any sense or not is irrelevant--the core beliefs and attitudes that we form as children are very hard to reason away when we grow to adulthood, particularly if childhood was traumatic.

Besides, more people than you probably imagine call their parents by their first names, without having reason to despise them--I know a few.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Fringe is a really frustrating show. Every well done story line is nearly always wrapped in a lazily written and cliched plot.

I thought the Walter/scientist dynamic and the scientist himself were great. I would have liked to have seen more of the ZFT guy just to give Walter some opportunity to be intellectually matched.

But did the world really need another female alien/monster hunting in nightclubs and seducing men to feed? That's the best they could come up with? Listing the shows and movies that have featured that plot would take longer than writing this episode ... Species, The Hidden, Angel, Sliders ...

They have an ultraviolent crazy mutant to transport so they decide the best option would not be chained to the floor of the tactical van (which was next to were they captured her!) but lying on the back seat of the SUV with nobody watching her.

Then throw in some horrible predictability such as:

"I'll tell you everything you need to know if you get my wife back"

= dead by episode end

"She'll be out for hours"

= due to wake up in a few seconds

Besides watching out for The Observer next week we should probably start to look out for redshirts who are actually wearing red shirts. And not in a knowing, self-aware way.

I'm just glad this episode kept Evil Seductress Monster out of the way for the most part and concentrated on the ZFT guy.

This show has the potential to be so much better but the writers are not really pushing themselves to be original or surprising. Which is probably why it's getting 10 million viewers. The public don't take well to originality.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 PM

This show really has had so many disgusting scenes in better detail than a cheap slasher flick, and more than most any show on the 4 major networks, it's hard for me to imagine it has such mass appeal. But I'm glad it apparently does.

Well I guess bones has some pretty revolting imagery too, but more repetitive.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Besides watching out for The Observer next week we should probably start to look out for redshirts who are actually wearing red shirts. And not in a knowing, self-aware way.

It's funny you bring up red shirts. The more I see of Astrid, the more I am convinced she is a red shirt. When you think about it, she doesn't really do much in the lab. She basically just hangs around and keeps Walter company while Peter and Olivia are out investigating cases. You just know the writers are dying to kill off a regular character. And after Charlie got the worms and didn't die, my first reaction was, "Poor Astrid, she's a goner now for sure". With only 2 episodes left, she'll probably make it to the end of this season, but I am fairly certain she won't make it to the end of next season. The episode practically writes itself. Walter takes a reckless chance in the lab, poor Astrid dies as a result, and Walter suffers another breakdown and gets sent back to the loony bin. The writers have subtly been laying the ground work for it with all the references to the "poor girl who died in the fire" and the visit from her mother. It's gonna be Deja Vu all over again