post #1261 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Geesh like I said personally I dont care, I knew the actor and watch the previews....I know there are some though that didnt know the actor and dont watch the previews. Guess I just will try harder not to be nice in the future.

I didn't intend any offense and appologize if you were offended--I thought that you were suggesting that discussion of next episode previews which air during or after the show were spoilers. Just pointing out that the rules allow it and don't consider them spoilers.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I didn't intend any offense and appologize if you were offended--I thought that you were suggesting that discussion of next episode previews which air during or after the show were spoilers. Just pointing out that the rules allow it and don't consider them spoilers.

ITs all good .......I was talking more about the character "reveal" then the next weeks previews.......Even though its all over the fan sites, and news, I personally think they should have kept that under raps at least until right before the air date......I can see why they let it leak though...
post #1263 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, the character speaks during the last next-episode preview. The voice of the actor was pretty recognizable .

post #1264 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Actually, the character speaks during the last next-episode preview. The voice of the actor was pretty recognizable .

We even heard his voice in last weeks episode, when Walter was watching the video of Olivia as a child.

Rocky
post #1265 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

We even heard his voice in last weeks episode, when Walter was watching the video of Olivia as a child.

While I agree on both parts, those not familliar with the actor, might not have picked up on it ......Even though I am a fan I might have not picked up on the voice right away, but since I saw the news posted I caught it both times. Fortunately, my better half still doesnt know, and didnt pick up on the voice, so she will be surprised when it is revealed ....
post #1266 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

While I agree on both parts, those not familliar with the actor, might not have picked up on it

Um, I would think people not familiar with the actor wouldn't care one way or another who he is in the first place.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1267 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Um, I would think people not familiar with the actor wouldn't care one way or another who he is in the first place.

My Fiance isnt "familliar" and when I say this I mean a fan, but she will notice who is is and be surprised when he is revealed.

Gessh all this hub bub over someone just trying to help out a few people ...

Time to move on as this is dragging on longer then I thought it would....
post #1268 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
From the "nothing new under the sun" category — there was an episode in the early fifties on the ground breaking Science Fiction Theater (the series, my early education in learning to "suspend lots of disbelief," as well as instilling a love of sci-fi), which had as its theme the possibility that rock formed from the Vesuvius eruption which covered Pompeii could have recorded impressions of fleeing crowd noise that could be audiblized much as on the Fringe episode. I'm certain I had no idea at the time that the "rock" formed then was from ash not lava, and would have hardened over a relatively lenthy period, among numerous factual difficulties with the theory, but what the hey it made enough impression I still remember it more than fifty years later. That's a pretty impressive example of TV's power I would say.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #1269 of 6444 Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Awfully convenient that Peter happened to be working on that dingus to extract sound from Walter's damaged record collection. I loved when the piece of glass broke and Walter said, "That could have been one of my records!"

post #1270 of 6444 Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
When Peter did that whole sound-off-the-glass thing, I had a strong sense of deja vu that I had seen that in a movie somewhere. Some kind of suspense/mystery thriller. But I can't for the life of me remember the name of the movie...
post #1271 of 6444 Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllinifan View Post

Anybody besides me remember the "What If?" series published by Marvel Comics back in the late 70s/80s? The stories were introduced by the Watcher and I'm seeing lots of parallels (sorry) about parallel universes.

I remember, & I grew up in Trotwood too.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
post #1272 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

When Peter did that whole sound-off-the-glass thing, I had a strong sense of deja vu that I had seen that in a movie somewhere. Some kind of suspense/mystery thriller. But I can't for the life of me remember the name of the movie...

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I remember something similar in an episode of CSI. I think Grissom was able to playback sound that was "recorded" in a tub of wax or something.

ft

Found it. It was Season 5 and the sound was "recorded" onto a clay pot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committed_(CSI)
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/c...effect/12.html
post #1273 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
According to a mail list that I am on, Fringe will not start until 9:04 ET tonight, because the idiotic Crappy Idol will run over more than usual.

Set your DVR/PVRs accordingly.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1274 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

According to a mail list that I am on, Fringe will not start until 9:04 ET tonight, because the idiotic Crappy Idol will run over more than usual.

Set your DVR/PVRs accordingly.

Interesting, my guide on Directv has it starting at 9:04, but ending at 10:00, will it have even less commercials than normal?
post #1275 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Interesting, my guide on Directv has it starting at 9:04, but ending at 10:00, will it have even less commercials than normal?

End time should be 10:03PM ET. Can't take away three minutes of network commercials as that would leaving pretty much no network commercial time at all.

Someone probably just adjusted the start time and forgot to adjust the end time.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1276 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My DVR also auto adjusted for the delayed start time. Luckily I have the show to go over 15 minutes ever since the 1st time they went over and "forgot" to tell us.

Hopefully people see this as tonight is the season finale and I am sure there will be a lot of hot heads as people realize they missed the last 4 minutes or so of the show.
post #1277 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My stupid SA 8300HD wont keep buffer time. Either I'm doing it wrong or the box is dumb, but every time I manually change that recording to extend, it "fixes" itself to the times pushed by the guide.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1278 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Hopefully people see this as tonight is the season finale and I am sure there will be a lot of hot heads as people realize they missed the last 4 minutes or so of the show.

Seems that this is likely a FOX-driven decision (where FOX told IDOL to do this, not IDOL deciding to run a longer show on their own) to try and goose the ratings for the FRINGE finale amongst live viewers.

Create a longer-than-normal overrun (since the eight bazillion people watching aren't likely to flip off IDOL), and hope a decent amount of viewers realize they're already almost to the first commercial break of their regular 9:00ET show, and stay with FRINGE.

Since we're still in Sweeps, any amount of live viewers FRINGE picks up is going to be worth ticking off any not-important-to-ad-firms DVR users.
post #1279 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTNgod View Post

Seems that this is likely a FOX-driven decision (where FOX told IDOL to do this, not IDOL deciding to run a longer show on their own) to try and goose the ratings for the FRINGE finale amongst live viewers.

Create a longer-than-normal overrun (since the eight bazillion people watching aren't likely to flip off IDOL), and hope a decent amount of viewers realize they're already almost to the first commercial break of their regular 9:00ET show, and stay with FRINGE.

Since we're still in Sweeps, any amount of live viewers FRINGE picks up is going to be worth ticking off any not-important-to-ad-firms DVR users.

THis is what Fox has always done to goose the ratings of the 9PM show (at least for the 1st half hour that is). However, once the finals come out we see a more realistic view of how many people actually watch the show (I only look at finals and half hour break downs), I dont think anyone is going to push the prelims as actual numbers.
post #1280 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Has anybody previously speculated that Peter is from the alternate universe? Peter 1 died and Walter grabbed Peter 2 from the alternate?

Sorry, didn't realize that was going to turn out to be a spoiler by the end of the episode.

Wild season 1. Looking forward to season 2.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #1281 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 PM

What a great ending...
post #1282 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah very good. I knew there was something up with Peter. Those w/ dvrs freeze on the Washington Post newspaper in the office and read the headlines.
post #1283 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
That final shot was amazing, and unexpected.

I'm looking forward to the next season.
post #1284 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
LEONARD NIMOY!!!! /SIMPSONS

haha...great finale...

So I guess all those lens flares are weak spots in the membrane and the alternative reality coming through just slightly...

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #1285 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Last 15 minutes was excellent. Love those surprises. Hopefully 78-year-old Nimoy can hang in there for next season.
post #1286 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The program and/or commercials run shorter. The episode ended at 10:00, not 10:03.

In general, it's a good idea to pad any show that follows American Idol by 2-3 minutes, but that was unnecessary this week.
post #1287 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The program and/or commercials run shorter. The episode ended at 10:00, not 10:03.

In general, it's a good idea to pad any show that follows American Idol by 2-3 minutes, but that was unnecessary this week.

It was the program, it was about 3 minutes shorter than normal this week.
post #1288 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Great finale. Lots of reveals and surprises. Nimoy still looks in good shape for his age.

I was expecting the grave to be Walter's wife and in the past he had tried to bring her back from another universe and that's what caused him to both breakdown and also realize that it shouldn't be done. Instead he brought someone back and then realized that it shouldn't be. Does that mean he kidnapped baby Peter from his "real" parents?

One thing which didn't ring true was that three men (one in bandages) were allowed to set up strange equipment in the middle of the street without being challenged by cops or reported by civilians.

This was another blue flash episode when Olivia jumped between realities. We've seen that blue flash all through the season during various scenes so what did it mean back then?

post #1289 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:

THis is what Fox has always done to goose the ratings of the 9PM show (at least for the 1st half hour that is). However, once the finals come out we see a more realistic view of how many people actually watch the show (I only look at finals and half hour break downs), I dont think anyone is going to push the prelims as actual numbers.

I realize the overruns get weeded out of the final ratings, so I wasn't thinking from that angle - just that if you keep viewers long enough past the hour, they may decide to not watch the competition live since they've missed the start of the show and record the competition instead (which isn't very helpful to the competition's live ratings or their ad rates), and hopefully watch your follow-up programming.

Of course, FOX isn't the only network to do this. ABC does it, too.
post #1290 of 6444 Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Congrats to Len Bias and the Boston Celtics for their sweep. Unfortunately, even with the DVR, I couldn't read the headline as to why the stock market was closed. Can anybody help?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page