"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Light entertainment, very lame- writing, acting, characters and overall look-- but I'll give it another shotif I remember.

Why didn't she confiscate the body immediately after he died in her arms-- with so many questions to be answered? She's fresh out of the Altered States salt bath. She just experienced the magical mystery tour. She was totally aware of the fact that he could still provide information in his dead condition. SO why does he roll up in the evil corporations laboratory? Very lame.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Maybe I didn't understand exactly how it went down, but did they actually give the immunity in the deaths of 140+ people just to get the list of chemicals that were in the garages, so they could save one person? Is that right? Or did I misunderstand what the immunity was for..??

I liked the show, as long as it doesn't get too stupid ala Prison Break/24. The production of the pilot had a film-like finish to it, hopefully that will be retained as the series moves along. I also think Anna Torv has a certain "hotness" about her, not starlet-like as others have noted, but definitely beautiful in her own way.

Surprised nobody's mentioned "Altered States"' in reference to the isolation tank sequence, am I showing my age on that one..??

I see LL3HD mentioned it while I was typing this post. Did anyone see any ape-men running around that lab by chance?
post #123 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Surprised nobody's mentioned "Altered States"' in reference to the isolation tank sequence, am I showing my age on that one..??

Just did ^^

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #124 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It was involving enough to earn a Series Link for now. I like the mixture of humor and drama, seasoned with fringe science, altered states, and conspiracy.

I'll give it a chance as a successor to the X-Files....but the minute some guy shows up smoking a cigarette, I'm outta here.
post #125 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
post #126 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
[quote=keenan;14633946]Maybe I didn't understand exactly how it went down, but did they actually give the immunity in the deaths of 140+ people just to get the list of chemicals that were in the garages, so they could save one person? Is that right? Or did I misunderstand what the immunity was for..??

I liked the show, as long as it doesn't get too stupid ala Prison Break/24. The production of the pilot had a film-like finish to it, hopefully that will be retained as the series moves along. I also think Anna Torv has a certain "hotness" about her, not starlet-like as others have noted, but definitely beautiful in her own way.

Quote:

I see LL3HD mentioned it while I was typing this post. Did anyone see any ape-men running around that lab by chance?

Actually, I caught it immediately and the first thing I thought of was SNLs parody of the movie starring Walter Cronkite, called 'Altered Walter'. but figured few here would know what the hell I was talking about. I also recalled that a tranquility tank was also central in an episode of a police drama that was around at the time.

Mature AVS Programming Fans - NAME THAT SHOW!

I got a quick fix for Fringe but I doubt that the production team will ever pick up on it. So far we haven't seen Mark Bell (?). One of the funniest Simpsons episodes ever was the James Bond takeoff called Serpico, who was a combo of your typical Bond supervillian and Bill Gates, and was voiced by Albert Brooks hilariously. Give Brooks the Mark Bell (is that the right name) role and let him riff with it on the unsuspecting TV audience.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #127 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

It is being replayed on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antneye View Post

Damn. I missed it. Where can I see the pilot now?

post #128 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 110
For those that missed the pilot it is supposed to run again on Sunday according to the promo at the end of the show. Much lighter fare than Lost but entertaining. It also looks like it will not be serial but each episode stand alone unlike Lost. Kind of a "fringe science of the week" approach.
post #129 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe I didn't understand exactly how it went down, but did they actually give the immunity in the deaths of 140+ people just to get the list of chemicals that were in the garages, so they could save one person? Is that right? Or did I misunderstand what the immunity was for..??

No, that's how I understood it too. Just one of many things that caused me to . I like JJ, I like anything even remotely X-Files-ish, but I thought this pilot was very sloppily written. I'll give it a few more episodes, but so far this is looking pretty weak to me.
post #130 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

Im with ya...did anyone notice the stain on the tooth of the corporate receptionist for Massive Dynamic? Was it lipstick? HD just isnt friendly for some people

Yes, I noticed that too. Her teeth looked really bad and then there was a small blotch on one of her tooths. Something you may not be able to pick up in SD.
post #131 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

No, that's how I understood it too. Just one of many things that caused me to . I like JJ, I like anything even remotely X-Files-ish, but I thought this pilot was very sloppily written. I'll give it a few more episodes, but so far this is looking pretty weak to me.

Okay, then I'm not the only one that was a bit incredulous about that.

Yes, the writing is a bit sloppy, but as long as it doesn't get PB/24 sloppy, I'll probably enjoy it, it was fun to watch. It doesn't look like it will be any where near as "deep" as a Lost or X-Files though. I think if Fringe is viewed as more a graphic novel put to video, rather than a serious drama, it will be okay.
post #132 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Did anyone call them on that brief Massive Dynamic commercial by checking the web?

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #133 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That was clever how they slipped that into the commercial break. For a second, I actually fell for it being a commercial.

Anybody also recognize that M logo from somewhere else? I could swear I've seen that design in use somewhere, except with different color theme.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #134 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmin View Post

It is being replayed on Sunday.

And the full episode is available on line at Fox.com

Roy
post #135 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Actually, it was his twin, which is also LOST-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

The man that they chased at the U-Hauls had ticket 108 on the Plane Flight.

4+8+15+16+23+42 = 108

I guess there is your LOST easter egg for the episode.

post #136 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Well, you know how these evil corporations work, right? Maybe that is exactly what she planned to do (and it's appropriately en route as far as she knows), except the body "ends up" at another destination (per evil corp connections)?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #137 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Why didn't she confiscate the body immediately after he died in her arms-- with so many questions to be answered? She's fresh out of the Altered States salt bath. She just experienced the magical mystery tour. She was totally aware of the fact that he could still provide information in his dead condition. SO why does he roll up in the evil corporations laboratory? Very lame.

Obviously, there are other people working for Massive Dynamics within the FBI who stole the body and brought it to MD.

Trust No One.
post #138 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Massive Dynamic has "Giga-Def" tv.
http://www.massivedynamic.com/life_and_leisure.php

Never signs up for anything
post #139 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Meh. I thought it opened with promise, then degenerated into an implausible story about a super-agent able to command all FBI resources while pretending to be a lowly liaison (LOL). The crazy doc who suddenly isn't is plausible I guess (aside from the Chem 101 mumbo-jumbo), but the rest is just pure fantasy disguised as sci-fi. I guess we'll see how far they go into X-Files land, they're certainly on the 'it's all a big military/industrial complex conspiracy track' from the get-go.

We'll give it a few more eps just to see if it has steam, but this could easily be another Invasion/Threshold for longevity if it stays in la-la land.
post #140 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Anybody also recognize that M logo from somewhere else? I could swear I've seen that design in use somewhere, except with different color theme.

Enron?
post #141 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

That was clever how they slipped that into the commercial break. For a second, I actually fell for it being a commercial.

you're thinking of the N64 logo:

so watched teh whole HD feed and I liked it a lot. I never got into x-files but this has a lot of elements I like. The guy who plays "walter" is great.
post #142 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl View Post

Obviously, there are other people working for Massive Dynamics within the FBI who stole the body and brought it to MD.

Trust No One.

Man the "Military Industrial Complex" is pretty lame on TV. General Dynamics would kick Massive Dynamics butt. http://www.gd.com/ http://www.gdatp.com/products/Gun_Systems/Default.htm

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #143 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I just watched the pilot off my DVR. Is it just me or does this seem like an Americanized version of Torchwood but not as good?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #144 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I just watched the pilot off my DVR. Is it just me or does this seem like an Americanized version of Torchwood but not as good?

You're thinking of Sanctuary, coming to Sci-Fi next month.

post #145 of 6444 Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

you're thinking of the N64 logo:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

I liked it, I'll watch it again.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #146 of 6444 Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

Well, I took it as they wanted the formula in case that incident was only a test case for something larger. Now, they have a confirmed cure for it that will make any attempt to use the virus later useless. That's what I think the immunity agreement was for.

Being able to test the cure was probably just a bonus for those that authorized the agreement.

At any rate, while I didn't love the show, it kept me interested enough to watch the next one. We'll see how it goes for me from there.

I do think the cow needs a re-occurring role on the show...
post #147 of 6444 Old 09-11-2008, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:

Yes, the writing is a bit sloppy, but as long as it doesn't get PB/24 sloppy, I'll probably enjoy it, it was fun to watch. It doesn't look like it will be any where near as "deep" as a Lost or X-Files though. I think if Fringe is viewed as more a graphic novel put to video, rather than a serious drama, it will be okay.

I think that I will probably enjoy Fringe, too. The show is good, despite plot holes you could drive a truck through. That’s a tradition with this type of thing, though. Think Lost, 24, and Alias. The problem with such shows is that they inevitably get sillier as time goes on. Nevertheless, I thought that Fringe got off to a good start.

The young Aussie actress, Anna Torv, was terrific. She looked great, to say the least, and handled all the sexist remarks thrown her way with aplomb. I also liked Joshua Jackson who played Peter Bishop, the brilliant son of the crazy scientist father; I liked John Noble, as the father, too. Noble was in a couple of 24 episodes, playing a Russian bad guy. None of the rest of the cast impresses me much. Still, based on first impressions, I am looking forward to more.
post #148 of 6444 Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Finally watched this last night. I had noticed all the activity in this thread, so I figured it was worth a look sooner rather than later.

I'll start with the cons:

I didn't like that they gave the villain immunity just to save the lead's boyfriend, when he was responsible for the deaths of all those plane passengers.

The 24 hours they had to save the BF's life was a bit unrealistic considering all they did in that time.

When the Massive Dynamic Executive whipped out her bionic hand, I thought "what year is this supposed to be?" It was definitely a strange moment.

Speaking of Massive Dynamic, I couldn't really tell at first whether all those wall-graphics in their headquarters were supposed to be there or if they were just more "location graphics."

Pros:

The lead actress is very appealing. She has a sort of "poor man's Cate Blanchett" look that I really like. They could have done more with that "strip down to your underwear" scene though.

Josh Jackson is actually pretty good in this. I loved his line in the "Spongebob" scene (a very funny scene overall) where he answered the phone with "Crazyhouse."

I was always a fan of the X-Files "Monster of the Week" premise, so if this goes that way, I'm in.

The crazy scientist is EXCELLENT. He was also great in LotR, so I hope at some point they'll have him deadpan, "Come, sing me a song."

Keeping this one on the season pass subscription.
post #149 of 6444 Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just hope they keep the crazy scientist a bit off kilter as the show progresses--he had the best lines...

Can't remember the exact dialog, but when he was talking about using humans versus cows as experimental subjects...

something like... "humans are best, unless of course you need milk..." and in the background we see the cow...
post #150 of 6444 Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post

I just hope they keep the crazy scientist a bit off kilter as the show progresses--he had the best lines...

Can't remember the exact dialog, but when he was talking about using humans versus cows as experimental subjects...

something like... "humans are best, unless of course you need milk..." and in the background we see the cow...

Yeah his son explained how there's only two lines of DNA that seperate cows form us and walter said" ah yes but of course humans would bext....unless you needed milk then a cow would indeed be best"

Him watching spongebob was damn hilarious.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page