"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 6444 Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I can't wait. The ballsy and exciting way they ended Season 1 was fantastic.

- I still think Walter from the other world is the main bad guy and coming back for his kidnapped son.
- My biggest concern is how they will keep the show "grounded". Now that the Feebs know that there is an alternate universe, how to travel between it, etc. how does the US Govt not get involved now and take over due to the security crisis this represents?
- I want to see more monster of the week episodes. Love the wolfman thingy who took out the airplane.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 6444 Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

I can't wait. The ballsy and exciting way they ended Season 1 was fantastic.

- I still think Walter from the other world is the main bad guy and coming back for his kidnapped son.
- My biggest concern is how they will keep the show "grounded". Now that the Feebs know that there is an alternate universe, how to travel between it, etc. how does the US Govt not get involved now and take over due to the security crisis this represents?
- I want to see more monster of the week episodes. Love the wolfman thingy who took out the airplane.

The only "Feeb" that knows about the entrance to the alt universe is Oliva and I dont think she will be telling many people outside of her circle if anyone else (remember that was one of the conditions). Also, the comics give an insight about your concern as well, I am not going to say anything though as it might be considered a spoiler and they may use some of that storyline in next seasons shows.
post #1533 of 6444 Old 09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

Are you talking about the glyph code during act-outs? The one that spells out a theme word for the following week's show? If so, that was broken by some math wiz elsewhere on the 'net; not by anybody here. I remember reading the guy's blog about how they did it. Very wonky stuff, but it turned out to be a relatively simple solution as I recall. Maybe somebody still has the link...

Oh bummer. Well, I tried to give us a pat on the back. LOL

Quote:

Also, the comics give an insight about your concern as well,

Comics? What have I missed over the summer?
post #1534 of 6444 Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Comics? What have I missed over the summer?

The comics were relaeased over the past year or so during season 1 of the show. HTe followed the story of Walter and William Bell. IMO they give some good insight into the past dealings of the two and of the show in general. There are a total of 6 official comics and 1 comic that was ComicCon exclusive (#0). IF you take a look at FringeWiki they have them listed there for youa s well as a few scans from the comics (not the entie issue though).
post #1535 of 6444 Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up.
post #1536 of 6444 Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a reminder tonight is the Season 3 Premire here is a little write up of the 1st episode (does not really have any spoilers (unless you dont know anything about the show:
'Fringe' enters an even better universe for adventure, characters
http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...6-fringe_N.htm
post #1537 of 6444 Old 09-17-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Season 2 I think you meant?
post #1538 of 6444 Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Now THAT is a season opener. Awesome. From the car crash on it was really, really well done. And poor Charlie...or should I say watch out for the new Charlie! I loved the sly X-Files references and TV appearance also. I missed the Observer, did anyone see him?

JS

Only thing off was when Broyles ordered a double and got a single. He was ripped off!

post #1539 of 6444 Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using this, I had to fill in a letter for the image of the hand with a dot in the upper right. But tonight's word was:

Edit: Other websites have a much more updated glyph. Looks like the only letters not accounted for are X and Z.
post #1540 of 6444 Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a quick PS job and compiled what I could find around a couple of sites. It looks to me, based on past codes, that some sites are deducing what a couple of letters (F, J, M, Q) are...because they have not turned up on any episode yet. But here's the most complete glyph code to date.

Here's the season 1 words. Spoiler tagging since some people are a little sensitive to that kind of thing.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Episode 01: OBSERVER
Episode 02: CHILD
Episode 03: AEGER [Latin for "sick"]
Episode 04: ROGUE
Episode 05: SURGG [Latin for "arise" "to get up"]
Episode 06: CELLS
Episode 07: CODES
Episode 08: TAKEN
Episode 09: VOICE
Episode 10: TRADE
Episode 11: SAVED
Episode 12: BISHOP
Episode 13: AVIAN
Episode 14: OLIVIA
Episode 15: WALTER
Episode 16: PETER
Episode 17: BELLY
Episode 18: EIGHT
Episode 19: VISION
Episode 20: GRAVE
post #1541 of 6444 Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WOW!
What an opening scene.
Don't know how big of a role the new female FBI agent will have but she's hot.
The final scene at the end of the show has unbelievable, and what makes this show great.
Can't wait for more, bring on FRINGE.
post #1542 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Great start to the season! You never know where this show is going, which is what makes it so great. As you guessed from the trailers, Leonard Nimoy will be returning later in the season.

It was fun watching Fringe this evening, identifying all the shoot locations in Vancouver. I immediately recognized all the buildings in the opening scene ... I believe it was on West Pender near Burrard.

Bob
If it is not HDTV it is not worth watching!
post #1543 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Charlie has been Sylar-fied!

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1544 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I thought I had read that the guy playing Charlie wasn't going to be on the show anymore, so when he showed up in Olivia's bedroom, I immediately thought, "uh oh" for him. Looks like our shape-shifter will stay as him for a little while, according to the preview, though.

The new FBI agent is very attractive...seems a little odd because you'd think they wouldn't want to trump their leading lady. And I'm one of those (few?) who thinks Anna Torv is VERY easy on the eyes.
post #1545 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Bob View Post

It was fun watching Fringe this evening, identifying all the shoot locations in Vancouver. I immediately recognized all the buildings in the opening scene ... I believe it was on West Pender near Burrard.

That was probably the most distracting thing for me when watching the new episode. The Vancouver feel was very strong and obvious to me despite never having been to the city. The streets had much less traffic, the houses had substantial front yards, and there seemed to be much less haze in the air (very bright sun in some scenes). While I could mostly accept NYC locations as being Boston-like, I think I may have some issues suspending my disbelief this season. They at least made a reasonable effort rebuilding Walter's lab set, though it seems smaller with flatter floors than the previous one (which does make it more realistic for a university basement).

Overall, I kept my attention on the episode from beginning to end, but was not quite blown away. I feel that Abrams may have made a critical mistake bringing in a shape shifting bounty hunter as that will only intensify the X-Files comparisons. Hopefully it is only a short plot thread. I was looking forward to seeing the William Bell conversation with Olivia played out in last night's episode, but at least the previews suggested that we will see some chunks of that in future episodes.
post #1546 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Liked: 11
Glad to see 'Fringe' back with a solid opening episode. Looks like they're making Peter be a bit more committed to the cause this season, more of a leader - and I've read they plan to fill out more of his backstory. That's good; we still don't know much about him. The introduction of the new agent gave them an opportunity to do a quick recap of the team's mission, aided by Peter's helpful exposition and her own research into the team's files. Should help new viewers get onboard, which was the whole idea I suspect. My hope is they have a little less "monster of the week" and more emphasis on the serialized plotline this season now that they have a solid nugget of viewers. Hope they all follow the show into the Thursday night minefield.

I'd like to know how the shape shifter managed to be immune to bullets and turn the tables on poor Charlie so quickly. Ah, Charlie - we hardly knew ye.

And bpeacock, you're not alone in your admiration of Anna Torv's natural beauty. Maybe it's the lips, maybe the hair; dunno, but it sure works for me.
post #1547 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Did anyone catch the fact that Broyles is a Colonel and has been "in six wars". Six? I know its supposed to take place in the very near future but still. Maybe I'm reading more into this but with his military status and this "six" comment it makes me think that Broyles is the Nick Fury of the Fringe-verse. That could also explain why the Blair Brown character is making out with him...maybe they are around the same age and Broyles just ages slowly?

The only plot hole that took me out of the game a bit last night was the fact that the assassin could take all those shots and could switch places with Charlie so quickly. That was a bit silly considering early on in the episode he had to break his face bones and then take some time to copy the dead guy.

I love this show.

post #1548 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Aro

Quote:

Did anyone catch the fact that Broyles is a Colonel and has been "in six wars". Six? I know its supposed to take place in the very near future but still. Maybe I'm reading more into this but with his military status and this "six" comment it makes me think that Broyles is the Nick Fury of the Fringe-verse. That could also explain why the Blair Brown character is making out with him...maybe they are around the same age and Broyles just ages slowly?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. So that would be all the major wars, right? Gulf War II, Gulf War I, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI. He'd be at least 110 years old.
post #1549 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I'm not the only person who thought of Nick Fury during that scene?

Rocky
post #1550 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Also...I think the Greek phrase is Nimoy or someone's else way of warning Peter about Walter. Either warning him that our Walter stole him and is thus a bit evil or warning him that the super, duper bad guy from the alternate universe may be the mirror-Walter some of us have theorized as the main bad guy causing all the ruckus because he's pissed our Walter stole his son.

post #1551 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yeah, I noticed that, too. So that would be all the major wars, right? Gulf War II, Gulf War I, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI. He'd be at least 110 years old.

Or, in reverse order: Iraq, Afghanistan, the NATO campaign in the former Yugoslavia, the Gulf War, Panama, Grenada. You can combine the first two into one and add Vietnam if you like.

The U.S. fights a lot of wars -- at least that's how the people on the receiving end of the hardware see it.
post #1552 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

The new FBI agent is very attractive...seems a little odd because you'd think they wouldn't want to trump their leading lady.

Meghan Markle - was a Deal or No Deal model in a couple of episodes. I hope they make her a regular, although she is basically another Olivia, except gorgeous.
post #1553 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qixotl View Post

I feel that Abrams may have made a critical mistake bringing in a shape shifting bounty hunter as that will only intensify the X-Files comparisons.

I don't think he was afraid of the X-Files comparisons, as they straight-up reference the X-Files in the scene in Washington D.C.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1554 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I don't think he was afraid of the X-Files comparisons, as they straight-up reference the X-Files in the scene in Washington D.C.

Not only that, but did anyone catch the 'X-Files' episode featuring good ol' Fox Mulder on the TV in the apartment of the shape-shifter's first victim? Not one but two direct references to that show in this episode.

I caught Mulder, but didn't catch The Observer. I figure he might have been somewhere in that opening street scene. Anybody see him?
post #1555 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

And bpeacock, you're not alone in your admiration of Anna Torv's natural beauty. Maybe it's the lips, maybe the hair; dunno, but it sure works for me.

Freckles. I'm loving me some Anna freckles.
post #1556 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

Also...I think the Greek phrase is Nimoy or someone's else way of warning Peter about Walter.

I thought it was a message from Peter's real mom. She might not be dead in the other universe and still trying to bring him back.

This was a really good opener, full of good setup, finally building on the mysteries that matter and some inventive moments like the pan-dimensional mirror/typewriter.

But the end I just groaned at. Not only completely predictable and an over-used plot device but JJ is repeating himself again. He did the same thing back on Alias.

post #1557 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone explain the real Charlie's death to me? We saw real Charlie get attacked by possessed nurse, so we have 2 persons in the area. Peter and hot new FBI agent (SUPER hot) run in and there is dead nurse and Charlie, who I have to assume is now possessed Charlie. Later on we go back and possessed Charlie dumps real Charlies body which means there now had to be 3 bodies in the shootout.

I can understand if possessed nurse killed real Charlie and took his form and dumped his body but then why was possessed nurse's body on the ground in the scene?
post #1558 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

Can someone explain the real Charlie's death to me??

That was all pretty dumb. The time elapsed between the gunshot and Peter running into view must have been about 10 minutes in real time at the least.

Here's what I thought happened:

Assassin kills nurse and drags her body downstairs and hides it in the laundry cart.

Assassin then runs back there after the failed kill.

Charlie comes face to face with assassin and fires a few rounds.

Somehow the assassin survives the shots and overpowers Charlie, killing him ridiculously quickly.

Assassin then does his bone crunching, transformation trick.

Pulls the dead nurse from the laundry cart

Strips Charlie of his clothes, puts them on and dumps him in the laundry cart.

Then he redresses the dead nurse in her original clothes* and arranges her in a position that looks convincing. He then stands in that "just shot the bad guy" pose until Peter appears.

And nobody bothered to check Charlie's mouth!

* which wouldn't make sense really, since the body wouldn't have bullet wounds matching those of the shots fired through those clothes.

post #1559 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That was all pretty dumb. The time elapsed between the gunshot and Peter running into view must have been about 10 minutes in real time at the least.

Here's what I thought happened:

Assassin kills nurse and drags her body downstairs and hides it in the laundry cart.

Assassin then runs back there after the failed kill.

Charlie comes face to face with assassin and fires a few rounds.

Somehow the assassin survives the shots and overpowers Charlie, killing him ridiculously quickly.

Assassin then does his bone crunching, transformation trick.

Pulls the dead nurse from the laundry cart

Strips Charlie of his clothes, puts them on and dumps him in the laundry cart.

Then he redresses the dead nurse in her original clothes* and arranges her in a position that looks convincing. He then stands in that "just shot the bad guy" pose until Peter appears.

And nobody bothered to check Charlie's mouth!

* which wouldn't make sense really, since the body wouldn't have bullet wounds matching those of the shots fired through those clothes.

The only problem there is that Olivia and the person who shot the assassin in her room both know that the nurse that tried to kill her was a shapeshifter so once they found the nurses body that they THOUGHT was the shapeshifter they still should have been looking for the original nurses body. Not finding said body they SHOULD realize that there are some shenanigans afoot.
post #1560 of 6444 Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

The only problem there is that Olivia and the person who shot the assassin in her room both know that the nurse that tried to kill her was a shapeshifter so once they found the nurses body that they THOUGHT was the shapeshifter they still should have been looking for the original nurses body. Not finding said body they SHOULD realize that there are some shenanigans afoot.

Yep, I forgot about that.

It's no wonder Fringe division was in danger of being shut down. They leave loose ends everywhere!

The ending felt to me like a hasty rewrite.

edit: they could have assumed she was dumped in the furnace, but even then they could have combed the ashes for human remains.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page