"90210" in HD on The CW - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I decided to give this show a look tonight. DVR'ed it and I only saw about a minute of the beginning and it was 4:3 sidebar. I just now looked through it at full-speed fast forward and the entire episode was shown in 4:3. I get the feeling I am the "viewer" of this show judging by getting nothing in the search results.

I just had to know, was it shown in HD on Tuesday? I know the CW is losing money and all. But are they producing a new show in SD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Liked: 10
It is 1080i 16:9 HD.
post #3 of 34 Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It was HD here in the DC. I then changed the channel pretty quickly despite Jenny Garth.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #4 of 34 Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Must've been a local issue. At the very beginning I noticed a blank screen followed by a green flash, then SD. Looks like they switched to SD. That's very odd since the CW is usually always HD, unless SD syndication, local or network programming is on.
post #5 of 34 Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I watched it Tuesday 1080i HD. Looked great. Jennie Garth looked especially great in HD. The show is okay, but PQ is nice. Too bad here in the SF Bay Area they don't pass DD 5.1 sound, so we only heard it in 2.0 stereo. :-(
post #6 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

one part cracked me up... rich spoiled kids from socal get excited to fly up here!
post #7 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

I hate when TV shows don't even bother to keep their aircraft shots consistent. The car pulls up next to a business jet at the airport. Then the aircraft shot when they are flying north to SF is a four engine commercial airliner. Then when they are flying back to LA they use a shot of a third completely different aircraft. Can't they at least try for some continuity here?

Duane
post #8 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can we get a title change on this thread? "90210" on the CW in HD would work.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post

The car pulls up next to a business jet at the airport. Then the aircraft shot when they are flying north to SF is a four engine commercial airliner. Then when they are flying back to LA they use a shot of a third completely different aircraft. Can't they at least try for some continuity here?

My wife and I laughed at those planes too. Hey, maybe the kid had three planes! Not living in 90210 I'm not sure what the acceptable number of planes per capita is. To be a cool kid, looks like 3 is the new number...

I also think the shot of the two in SF (under the Golden Gate Bridge) was a fake. Those LA back lots simply can't do justice to the real thing.

-pretzelbag.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 PM

Does this actually have a DD5.1 track originally or is it only stereo? It doesn't start here for a few more days and we will no doubt get 2.0 so I was interested to know how it should be.
post #11 of 34 Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It wasn't in HD here in Birmingham on Thursday even though the guide listed it has HD.
post #12 of 34 Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offline View Post

Does this actually have a DD5.1 track originally or is it only stereo? It doesn't start here for a few more days and we will no doubt get 2.0 so I was interested to know how it should be.

I'm checking out episode two--well checking out AnnaLynn McCord. It's 16:9 HD like most scripted CW shows and 2.0 (NOT 5.1) DD.

Moreover, it looks like it's shot on film not video. The background objects are blurry and out of focus. Moreover, there's very fine grain (not chroma noise) throughout the picture.
post #13 of 34 Old 09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Awful show. Doesn't matter if it's HD, SD, or black and white. It's an awful show.
post #14 of 34 Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I'm checking out episode two--well checking out AnnaLynn McCord. It's 16:9 HD like most scripted CW shows and 2.0 (NOT 5.1) DD.

Sorry, but it is fed to the affiliates in DD5.1. The only scripted CW show that isn't in DD5.1 is Smallville. And since that hasn't started airing the new season yet, they might finally air it in DD5.1.

If you don't get all CW scripted shows in DD5.1 (except Smallville), then it is a local issue.

For those who care, The CW feeds four audio streams to the affiliates: 1) Dolby-E, 2) AC3-5.1, 3) AC3-2.0, 4) MPEG Dolby Stereo.

Both the Dolby-E and AC3-5.1 audio streams bounce back and forth between DD2.0 and DD5.1, where DD2.0 is reality programming and a majority of commercials and all promos. Some commercials are DD5.1 All scripted shows are 5.1 (except as noted).

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #15 of 34 Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm surprised that no one has bitched about how short the 90210 episodes are. The 2-hr premiere can't fully be used to judge program length, since it is one opening title sequence and one closing credits sequence short.

But the 2nd night's episode (103) was only 38:45 in length, using the real closing credits (the reformated credits suck).

That means that 21:15 of the hour was devoted to commercials and promos. On top of that, there is screen clutter to annoy the viewer.

What the Hell is wrong with the CW? They've been doing short episode lengths for years, the worst in the industry.

They just do not give-a-damn about the viewers.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #16 of 34 Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 PM

man who cares? what are you guys complaining about, the girls in this cast are totally hotter than shannon doughery, j garth and fugugly torri spelling. and the best part is no more wanna be james dean luke perry and choir boy holy-than-thou jason priestly.
post #17 of 34 Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denonandkef View Post

and the best part is no more wanna be james dean luke perry and choir boy holy-than-thou jason priestly.

You must have missed the part where they said that Kelly's baby's daddy is a friend of hers from HS who she "randomly" hooked up with 4 years ago and she got knocked up.

It's either Dylan, Brandon, or Steve Sanders.
post #18 of 34 Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I'm surprised that no one has bitched about how short the 90210 episodes are. The 2-hr premiere can't fully be used to judge program length, since it is one opening title sequence and one closing credits sequence short.

But the 2nd night's episode (103) was only 38:45 in length, using the real closing credits (the reformated credits suck).

That means that 21:15 of the hour was devoted to commercials and promos. On top of that, there is screen clutter to annoy the viewer.

What the Hell is wrong with the CW? They've been doing short episode lengths for years, the worst in the industry.

They just do not give-a-damn about the viewers.

You've seen the normal studio credits for this show? All I saw was the usual green bar at the bottom of the screen with the tiny names in white print and a promo at the top. I don't think any network shows the 'real' credits at the end of programming anymore. That went away years ago. Although I did see a CSI:NY this Saturday with regular credits on CBS. But it was filler programming that aired instead of Tennis. And I loved it too. I like the opening theme so it was nice to hear it again at the end rather than a stupid network promo.

It's crazy how short shows are with commercials skipped. Every CSI or L&O I watch on the DVR ends up being around 40-42 minutes long. The rest of that is commercials, AND they still fill the screen with crap!!! I would be happy with 38 minute episodes under one condition: NO on screen crap during the show. If you're taking ~22 minutes for commercials, there's no reason to have to spam the show with crap.

TURN OFF THE CRAP GENERATOR AND STEP AWAY SLOWLY WITH YOUR HANDS ABOVE YOUR HEAD!!!!
post #19 of 34 Old 09-10-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another thing that bugs me about the new version is the opening. It is almost nonexistent compared to the original series. The new opening is much better production wise and in HD. But it would be better if it were longer.
post #20 of 34 Old 09-10-2008, 12:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

You've seen the normal studio credits for this show?

Yep. Not provided by The CW.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #21 of 34 Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Another thing that bugs me about the new version is the opening. It is almost nonexistent compared to the original series. The new opening is much better production wise and in HD. But it would be better if it were longer.

Well, if the stupid frakin' network would allow the show to be 45 minutes long, they'd be able to do a really nice opening credit sequence, like the old BH90210 series.

That is why a lot of shows don't have real opening credits anymore. The stupid frakin' networks took away program time and replaced it with more commercials and promos.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #22 of 34 Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
NO HD for the last act.

Fios Boston
post #23 of 34 Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's shot with HD video, not film (see article in Hot off the Press thread about 90210 being on an AFTRA contract, not an option for filmed shows which must use SAG).
post #24 of 34 Old 09-10-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be great to see if Brenda is actually a dominatrix....

dude the girls on 90210 are hot

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #25 of 34 Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Well, if the stupid frakin' network would allow the show to be 45 minutes long, they'd be able to do a really nice opening credit sequence, like the old BH90210 series.

That is why a lot of shows don't have real opening credits anymore. The stupid frakin' networks took away program time and replaced it with more commercials and promos.

I think the CW is the worst offender with this due to the fact the network has poor ratings. When your network brings up the rear, how much can those ad spots really cost? And we've read about how much money the CW costs the parent company, so they're gonna try to milk it for as much as they can. We already know the CW doesn't care about quality. That is obvious in the assassination of their shows with snipes and ad bugs and since they dumped Aliens In America.
post #26 of 34 Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

You must have missed the part where they said that Kelly's baby's daddy is a friend of hers from HS who she "randomly" hooked up with 4 years ago and she got knocked up.

It's either Dylan, Brandon, or Steve Sanders.

Judging by the kid's hair it's Steve Sanders.
post #27 of 34 Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb View Post

Judging by the kid's hair it's Steve Sanders.

That could be misdirection. After all, the kid's hair is VERY curly. Maybe you are supposed to think Steve Sanders, but it's really Dylan or Brandon. It's not like they can't say that the kid gets his hair color from mommy.
post #28 of 34 Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure the writers don't even know whos kid it is yet. I'm guessing whoever signs a deal 1st to come back to the show will have the baby.

Check out Dinger's
post #29 of 34 Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think the CW is the worst offender with this due to the fact the network has poor ratings. When your network brings up the rear, how much can those ad spots really cost? And we've read about how much money the CW costs the parent company, so they're gonna try to milk it for as much as they can. We already know the CW doesn't care about quality. That is obvious in the assassination of their shows with snipes and ad bugs and since they dumped Aliens In America.

Unfortunately what you say just might be right on the money (pun intended). But, there is going to be the point of no return where too many commercials/promos/snipes/bug text will turn viewers away.

I'm trying my darnedest to get the short programs times noticed. I've bent the ear on Boradcasting & Cable editors. The editor I talked to wants to be kept up-to-date regarding this issue. Maybe, just maybe, we might get some ink regarding this as well.

BTW, when asked, I'll bet their officlal response will be "no comment". Back in the days of UPN and Voyager, we immediately discovered that they cut a minute from the show and their official comment was: " no comment". The tradition continues.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #30 of 34 Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

That could be misdirection. After all, the kid's hair is VERY curly. Maybe you are supposed to think Steve Sanders, but it's really Dylan or Brandon. It's not like they can't say that the kid gets his hair color from mommy.

I thought it was mentioned in the first episode that Brenda hadn't seen the kid since shortly after he was born. I assumed that meant that she had some kind of connection to him (ie - Aunt Brenda) and that it was Brandon's son. I guess I may have read too much into it, but that would also explain her agreeing to watch him while Kelly & Matthews went out.

XBL = jackalopes

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page