'Seinfeld' in HD on TBS HD! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 206 Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the BDs are cropped a lot of people are going to be disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 206 Old 07-03-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

If the BDs are cropped a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

& if the BDs are only 4x3 alot of people are going to be disappointed.

Maybe they should do a 16x9 box set & a 4x3 box set....kinda like they did the old "fullscreen" & "widescreen" versions for a dvd.

post #183 of 206 Old 07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

The cropped widescreen is unacceptable. For example, there's a scene where George rolls up his sleeve to show his arm, and you can't see his arm in the widescreen version. That kind of stuff drives me nuts.

The DVDs are good enough for me. The jokes aren't funnier in HD.
post #184 of 206 Old 07-04-2009, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR View Post

I think they look great, and since there is extra info on the sides, the cropping isn't that bad at all.

I was watching an episode tonight ("The Pez Dispenser") on side-by-side monitors -- one with the 4:3 SD version, and with the 16:9 HD version. If there's anything "extra" on the sides of the 16:9 version, it's negligible at best. On a 42-inch screen, maybe a half-inch. On the other hand, the amount cropped from the top and bottom was humongous.
post #185 of 206 Old 07-04-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos2 View Post

The DVDs are good enough for me. The jokes aren't funnier in HD.

But you can see actors' reactions better in the cropped version.

One episode that was awkward was "The Raincoats". When George's friend was convincing him to sign up for the big brother program, they couldn't fit his friend and the kid's face on the screen at the same time when they were standing. This is rare though.

It's funny how many shots are out of focus. Since they originally edited these episodes on tape, they couldn't tell how sharp the original footage was.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #186 of 206 Old 08-22-2009, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is it possible they are extracting episodes from the new widescreen versions? I flip back and forth between channels and the widescreen version has A LOT more information on both sides and isn't cropped at all on the top and bottom. The cropped versions look pretty bad. I watched two episodes tonight and they were both like that.
post #187 of 206 Old 08-22-2009, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How would you compare the Seinfeld HD braodcasts with those for Hogans' Heroes (not quite 16:9); Charlie's Angels; Becker et al? I am impressed with the Hogans' Heroes HD broadcasts on HDNET.
post #188 of 206 Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is it possible they are extracting episodes from the new widescreen versions? I flip back and forth between channels and the widescreen version has A LOT more information on both sides and isn't cropped at all on the top and bottom.

Was it possible to zoom into the frame when they edited the original 4:3 broadcast versions if they didn't think the original framing was good enough? If all this stuff was edited on tape originally, I don't see how they could do that without making a blurry mess unless they were able to specify framing changes when it was transferred to tape.

post #189 of 206 Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Was it possible to zoom into the frame when they edited the original 4:3 broadcast versions if they didn't think the original framing was good enough?

I was present at some of the telecine sessions for the original versions, and I can tell you that there was no zooming taking place. The telecine op sized the frame so that the entire 4:3 area was filled (the aspect of a 35mm film frame is not quite 4:3), which does result in a little bit of cropping on the sides. But not much. I'm not sure about the claims (made by others) that they are seeing "a lot" more information on the sides -- there will be a little to sure, because for the HD transfers they would frame the sides first in order to minimize the amount of cropping necessary from the top and bottom.
post #190 of 206 Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I flip back and forth between channels and the widescreen version has A LOT more information on both sides and isn't cropped at all on the top and bottom. The cropped versions look pretty bad. I watched two episodes tonight and they were both like that.

Were these the episodes that aired on Friday? If so, we should still have them in our servers -- I will take a look and see. Do you remember the names or the plots of these episodes? Just want to make sure we're looking at the same thing.
post #191 of 206 Old 08-22-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Were these the episodes that aired on Friday? If so, we should still have them in our servers -- I will take a look and see. Do you remember the names or the plots of these episodes? Just want to make sure we're looking at the same thing.

Air date 8/21/2009

1st run - SEIN409 - The Opera
2nd run - SEIN717 - The Cadillac Pt2

We haven't done a one on one comparison yet, but from what I have seen off the bird on the HD feed, there is definitely picture content not on the 4:3 version and it doesn't looked cropped. Several of us in the shop looked at it and we all think if it wasn't shot in 16:9, it is VERY close because we looked at it through a AJA-FS1 and used the crop mode on it and when cropped, it looked very close to the 4:3. How it is being done, I don't know.

EDIT: By the way, you guys using the TOP Server?

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #192 of 206 Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I can't explain what you are seeing. I am looking at the SD and HD versions of "The Opera" right now, and it is just as I would expect -- the side information on both versions is almost identical, but the HD version is heavily cropped at the top and bottom. Why you are seeing something different escapes me.

You can trust me when I tell you the show was not shot for, or with any intention of 16:9 -- it was 4-perf 35mm. I was there and looked directly at the negative that came out of the camera. And this was in several different seasons, one of which included this episode.

I will try to get some image captures from these clips, though I'm not sure right off hand how I will get one from the HD server. TOPS? No ... but I hear it is coming ...
post #193 of 206 Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, this is the best I can do on short notice. Here are two images taken off the screen (from "The Opera") using my MacBook's built-in camera. How much more image does anyone see on the sides of the 4x3 image vs the 16x9? I would call that negligible. In fact, the 4x3 is showing a tiny bit more on the left, but that could be because the monitor is overscanning when displaying 16x9. On the other hand, there is a TON missing from the bottom on the 16x9. Note that they did not just "center cut" the crop -- they are favoring the top of the frame to keeps the heads from being chopped off.

If people are seeing something different from this, I have no explanation.

post #194 of 206 Old 08-23-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

TOPS? No ... but I hear it is coming ...

Ours is on the way. Expected any day.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #195 of 206 Old 08-29-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I did some comparisons too and I certainly do not see "a lot" of new frame on the sides. Perhaps MattGuyOR is watching the SD versions on a heavily overscanned television.

post #196 of 206 Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

3) Theres plenty of old TV shows that were made on 35mm film that could look good on Bluray. And I do think theres a market for it. An entire season of a 24 episode sitcom should be able to fit comfortably in 1 BD-50 @ 720p quality (and I think for a lot of old shows 720p is adequate). Off the top of my head, I'd like to see: Friends, Seinfeld, MASH, Twin Peaks, Northern Exposure, Hill Street Blues, and Magnum PI.

A few of them might be suitable for 16x9 but most should be framed for 4x3 or maybe the compromise ratio of 14x9. Just depends on how they were framed.

FWIW, Crime & Investigation HD has been airing Twin Peaks in 4:3 HD for some time now. It looks great.
post #197 of 206 Old 06-04-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From TV Week
Quote:

No Joke: The Amount of Money 'Seinfeld' has Really Made in Syndication

Though the hit sitcom "Seinfeld" is distributed by Sony Pictures Television, the show is owned by Time Warner subsidiary Castle Rock. And at an investor's conference in New York last week, on Thursday,May 27, Time Warner revealed how much the show has already made in syndication.

According to a report about the conference in The Hollywood Reporter, the hit sitcom "made $598 million in off-network first cycle revenue, $984 million in the off-network second cycle and $703 million in the third. The cable first cycle brought in $180 million, followed by $113 million in the second and $86 million in the third. That made for a total of $2.67 billion revenue for the eight seasons and 180 episodes of the show, including $2.07 billion after the first cycle (or 346% of the first cycle.)"

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #198 of 206 Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

No Joke: The Amount of Money 'Seinfeld' has Really Made in Syndication

Though the hit sitcom "Seinfeld" is distributed by Sony Pictures Television, the show is owned by Time Warner subsidiary Castle Rock. And at an investor's conference in New York last week, on Thursday,May 27, Time Warner revealed how much the show has already made in syndication.

According to a report about the conference in The Hollywood Reporter, the hit sitcom "made $598 million in off-network first cycle revenue, $984 million in the off-network second cycle and $703 million in the third. The cable first cycle brought in $180 million, followed by $113 million in the second and $86 million in the third. That made for a total of $2.67 billion revenue for the eight seasons and 180 episodes of the show, including $2.07 billion after the first cycle (or 346% of the first cycle.)"

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

post #199 of 206 Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And you wonder why Jerry Seinfeld is so rich?

post #200 of 206 Old 06-15-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I did some comparisons too and I certainly do not see "a lot" of new frame on the sides. Perhaps MattGuyOR is watching the SD versions on a heavily overscanned television.

Not sure if anyone is reading this old thread, but I think I've figured out what's happening, and it's one of the many grim side effects of the transition from 4:3 to 16:9.

For their SD feeds, some cable and satellite systems are simply center cutting their HD feeds. Most stuff these days is produced 4:3 safe for this reason. But when it comes to Seinfeld, which has already been cropped top and bottom, you're getting an extremely zoomed-in picture (only 56% of the original picture, if I'm doing my math correctly!). I recently witnessed this first-hand on KTXL on Comcast in Roseville, CA. Also on the DirecTV feed on JetBlue. It's as horrific as it sounds.
post #201 of 206 Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone notice that TBS seems to be playing with playback speed on tonight's Seinfeld episode? It looked "sped up", the voices did not sound right. I've seen Nickelodeon do this for old shows on Nick at Nite, obviously speeding up the playback to fit another 2 minutes of commercials to make more $$$ at the expense of ruining the show. Can't stand it!
post #202 of 206 Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM

I sure hope not. Crap like that is a total disgrace.
post #203 of 206 Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM

Liked: 13
I saw the Seinfeld pilot episode on TBS today. Some scenes looked like HD while others were quite blurry looking. What gives?
post #204 of 206 Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

I saw the Seinfeld pilot episode on TBS today. Some scenes looked like HD while others were quite blurry looking. What gives?

They couldn't find the original film for some of the scenes, so they inserted unconverted video from the 1-inch (composite NTSC analog) video masters. It IS quite jarring to have that mixed in there, but it was either that or nothing.
post #205 of 206 Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Liked: 13
Was that just a problem for the Pilot or did it occur in a lot of other episodes?
post #206 of 206 Old 11-04-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The pilot had the most instances of this -- there may have been a few occurrences in the next couple of episodes, but after that, you won't see it again.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page