The Mentalist on CBS HD - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
HDTV Programming > The Mentalist on CBS HD
CruelInventions's Avatar CruelInventions 08:55 PM 04-08-2014
Me too, I like the switchup of nearly everything on the show.

But it's looking like the show is done for, based upon people who follow these things. Very unlikely to return.

BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 05:46 AM 04-09-2014
At least The Mentalist has lasted longer than The Guardian, both of which are/were among my favorite shows and both starring Simon Baker.
John dhein's Avatar John dhein 06:56 AM 04-09-2014
If CBS cancels it, could/would another network pick it up?
DrLar's Avatar DrLar 07:00 AM 04-09-2014
Well it has enough episodes for syndication, will they even do the effort on renewing it?
BarnacleBill's Avatar BarnacleBill 10:05 PM 04-14-2014
I find Simon Baker a very appealing actor and The Mentalist has been a fun show, with Jane's scams. However the last couple of weeks have been just plain silly. The art thief episode was so unbelievable, complete with a marching band. The last episode defies all logic, (with or without Q).

I don't think the writers are trying anymore. This must be the last season.
MeatChicken's Avatar MeatChicken 11:34 AM 04-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

If CBS cancels it, could/would another network pick it up?
No way.
David James's Avatar David James 12:44 PM 04-15-2014
The trick was telegraphed pretty early with the computer geeks computer announcing the time. Made me pretty sure something in the plot would revolve around that. Taking the girls cell phone nailed it.

I would like to see the show renewed. I still think they're finding their way with the new characters.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 12:48 PM 04-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

The trick was telegraphed pretty early with the computer geeks computer announcing the time. Made me pretty sure something in the plot would revolve around that. Taking the girls cell phone nailed it.

I would like to see the show renewed. I still think they're finding their way with the new characters.
Yeah, that was the giveaway right there, from there on out I knew exactly what was happening, the writers "signaled" their intent just a bit too strongly, in fact, pretty much like a sledgehammer.
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 03:59 PM 04-15-2014
It was still nice to see it play out. A similar "trick" was played on an NCIS episode a few years ago.
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928 09:33 AM 04-16-2014
I saw the Mission Impossible setup straight away. It was fun just the same....
Tom Imp's Avatar Tom Imp 10:01 AM 04-16-2014
I'm just glad they dropped the "boss being a hardass" persona of Abbott that they portrayed at the end of the Red John storyline. I personally cannot stand shows that bring in bosses that do nothing but yell and have a problem with the way the show's protagonist does things. I couldn't stand the new Captain on Castle for this very reason, but luckily she has softened and is tolerable to watch now.
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 10:31 AM 04-16-2014
I agree on both counts and agree that both shows are better for it. Even Gibbs on NCIS has a new softer side but is still a hardass when he needs to be.
Church AV Guy's Avatar Church AV Guy 04:09 PM 04-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

The trick was telegraphed pretty early with the computer geeks computer announcing the time. Made me pretty sure something in the plot would revolve around that. Taking the girls cell phone nailed it.

I would like to see the show renewed. I still think they're finding their way with the new characters.
Yeah, that was the giveaway right there, from there on out I knew exactly what was happening, the writers "signaled" their intent just a bit too strongly, in fact, pretty much like a sledgehammer.

As soon as John de Lancie said, this is my wife... I knew the whole plot and how it was going to play out. It was fun to watch though.
tomhunter8's Avatar tomhunter8 06:10 PM 04-16-2014
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one enjoying the reboot of the show. I really like this lighter side.

As far as what others have said:
I agree the art heist episode was over the top, but it was fun.
I agree that this week's episode was predictable, but it was enjoyable watching it play out.
I agree that the new boss is a welcome relief to the usual hard-ass boss. I think watching him really getting into and liking the "Jane Way" of things is one of my favorite aspects of the show now.

And of course there is Cho. I can't think of another character on a current show that makes me laugh out loud as much as Cho does with a simple smirk or one word sarcastic response.
John dhein's Avatar John dhein 09:14 PM 04-16-2014
I, too, REALLY like this show, and wish it was on a different network. If it was it would have been renewed already.
David James's Avatar David James 08:24 AM 04-17-2014
Cho has been my favorite TV character for years.
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 08:32 AM 04-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one enjoying the reboot of the show. I really like this lighter side.

As far as what others have said:
I agree the art heist episode was over the top, but it was fun.
I agree that this week's episode was predictable, but it was enjoyable watching it play out.
I agree that the new boss is a welcome relief to the usual hard-ass boss. I think watching him really getting into and liking the "Jane Way" of things is one of my favorite aspects of the show now.

And of course there is Cho. I can't think of another character on a current show that makes me laugh out loud as much as Cho does with a simple smirk or one word sarcastic response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

I, too, REALLY like this show, and wish it was on a different network. If it was it would have been renewed already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Cho has been my favorite TV character for years.
The Mentalist has been on my 'must see' list since the beginning. I think it got in trouble ratings-wise when they dragged out the Red John fiasco for an eternity. This season has been refreshing and very enjoyable.
CruelInventions's Avatar CruelInventions 10:27 AM 04-17-2014
I really liked Bradley Whitford as Red John. And that would have been a good way to end the storyline right there. But they didn't.

I particularly disliked the way they had the real Red John grovel for his life at the end. Didn't jive with my conception of the character whatsoever.
tomhunter8's Avatar tomhunter8 06:11 PM 04-17-2014
One of my favorite characters and the one I truly hated to see go away was LaRoche. When he first appeared, he was scary as hell. Then they turned him into a great character with an excellent back story. Then they killed him. mad.gif
Garrett Adams's Avatar Garrett Adams 06:15 PM 04-17-2014

I love this show but have resigned myself to the strong probability of it not being renewed.


BarnacleBill's Avatar BarnacleBill 01:14 AM 04-18-2014
I've got a great girlfriend for Cho. How about Root from Person of Interest? Cho has interesting tastes in women.
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 06:40 AM 04-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post

I've got a great girlfriend for Cho. How about Root from Person of Interest? Cho has interesting tastes in women.
That would be a good match till she gets mad at him. wink.gif
Maccur's Avatar Maccur 01:34 PM 04-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

I love this show but have resigned myself to the strong probability of it not being renewed.
My feeling as well. I don't think the reboot has been smooth. They substituted one white female with long hair for another without adding any personality. I assume with the reboot they were able to shed some high salaries, but the main players' pay has continued to increase over the years to the point CBS must wonder if it would be cost-effective to bring the show back.
DrLar's Avatar DrLar 10:36 AM 04-21-2014
So is this the beginning of the end? if Lisbon leaves the show maybe over, still waiting her answer next episode... (but I really feel bad for Jane, I wanted a Jisbon ship)
CruelInventions's Avatar CruelInventions 11:29 AM 04-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post

My feeling as well. I don't think the reboot has been smooth. They substituted one white female with long hair for another without adding any personality.

I'm utterly fascinated by her mouth though. If you were to make a line drawing of a flamboyantly perfected pair of animated lips, she would be your lip model. Her mouth reminds me of the Joker; the hyper-shapely form, the upturned corners of the mouth...

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), default quality
CruelInventions's Avatar CruelInventions 11:43 AM 04-21-2014
About last night's episode.

I'm not sure I understood the motivation of the lawyer. So he was going to co-coerce his client (the golfer) into giving him more money because he knew of his client's accounting "irregularities" or was going to offer to help make those irregularities disappear, but for an additional financial cut?

There was a particular line of dialog in the explanation in the interrogation room which didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, which further added to my, "huh?", reaction. I can't recall what is was but it didn't seem to jive with what had been discussed. Maybe I'll have to re-watch that part.
Alan G.'s Avatar Alan G. 01:09 PM 04-21-2014
The last shows have been pretty elaborate plans, but it's been fun watching boss Abbott agree to play roles in the plans, a complete turnaround for him. But who can argue with success? Cho kills me. His staring at the I.T. guy after computerese gibberish was hilarious.

Yes, I preferred the old group a bit more, with eye-rolling Lisbon "allowing" Jane's whims. It's still enjoyable, though.

CBS has done this show few favors; shifting time slots until it floundered against Sunday Nite Football and others. If this is the end, I will definitely miss it.
Church AV Guy's Avatar Church AV Guy 12:28 AM 04-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

So is this the beginning of the end? if Lisbon leaves the show maybe over, still waiting her answer next episode... (but I really feel bad for Jane, I wanted a Jisbon ship)


I don't think so. His affection for Theresa seems like there is a dark side to it, so I think there will be a Ward-like reveal before the end of the season, unless it will be the season ending cliff hanger, in which case, it had better be renewed. If the show continues, she will almost certainly have to be there.

You have to love the look on Jane's face when Abbott said he had all but been offered a bribe, and Jane jumped off the couch. He had SUCH a devious grin!
David James's Avatar David James 11:42 AM 05-12-2014
Renewed for season 7. I'm assuming it will be the last but who knows.
DrLar's Avatar DrLar 11:44 AM 05-12-2014
So, maybe Lisbon will stay after all, that eye-lock they did in the couch, but she already said yes to the other guy, I'm still waiting for her to change her decision.
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop