Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Figured i'd start a thread for this...

I've seen some promos for this online, thought people might be interested...its a procedural, but no one really does procedurals better than CBS...simon baker was actually pretty good on smith (while it was on)...i dont think i really watch anything else in that time slot either...anyone else interested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Kinda interested. MSNBC's entertainment article about the new dramas said to give it a chance. I'll probably DVR the pilot at least...

I'm longing for a day when all severe weather coverage is on the subchannel...
Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm going to give it a shot. However, if I'm reading the promos correctly, doesn't the premise seem to mimic Psych?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

I'm going to give it a shot. However, if I'm reading the promos correctly, doesn't the premise seem to mimic Psych?

Watched an advance copy of the pilot and it's less psychic and more "super-observant." Simon's character admits to being a fake psychic on TV who gave that career up to help the police. The other detectives hate him because he beats them to conclusions and he's usually right. I really liked the show. And, no, it's not because I work for the Eye. I happen to think "Worst Week" stinks. And I didn't even finish the pilot to "Gary Unmarried" It was that bad (to me).

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Watched an advance copy of the pilot and it's less psychic and more "super-observant."

That is the same premise as Psych. The only difference is that on Psych, Shawn disguises his powers of observation with fake psychic flashes. There's no actual supernatural element in Psych. The audience knows he's not psychic because we see his observations being highlighted on screen and his father knows because he taught him his method.

And on Psych, Detective Lassiter hates Shawn, because Shawn beats them to conclusions and he's usually right.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That is the same premise as Psych. The only difference is that on Psych, Shawn disguises his powers of observation with fake psychic flashes. There's no actual supernatural element in Psych. The audience knows he's not psychic because we see his observations being highlighted on screen and his father knows because he taught him his method.

And on Psych, Detective Lassiter hates Shawn, because Shawn beats them to conclusions and he's usually right.

Once again, TV proves there are no more original ideas in Hollywood

Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

Figured i'd start a thread for this...

I've seen some promos for this online, thought people might be interested...its a procedural, but no one really does procedurals better than CBS...simon baker was actually pretty good on smith (while it was on)...i dont think i really watch anything else in that time slot either...anyone else interested?

I'll be watching and I think all the Psych and TM comparison is repitious . I enjoy Psych too so I'll be watching both shows and enjoy the obvious differences .
I think the promo clips look good and also find Simon Baker a very charismatic actor and I always liked Robin Tunney on Prison Break despite all the negativity thrown at her and her Veronica character. She still is a great actress and her character Teresa looks to be a tough as nails woman who is going to clash with Patrick and I see plenty of chemistry in the brief clips I've seen so I'm going to check this out !
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose View Post

...her character Teresa looks to be a tough as nails woman who is going to clash with Patrick and I see plenty of chemistry in the brief clips I've seen so I'm going to check this out !

You see that start to play out at the end of the show. Without giving anything away, he already knows what makes her tick.. much as she tries to hide herself from him. You get a glimpse of that in the epilogue scene. That tension is going to play out nicely over the course of the series. Assuming it doesn't get the ax.

Off-topic a little, but the "Ex List" also looked interesting. It's kind of like "My Name is Earl" only (for reasons I won't go into) the lead character revisits a former boyfriend from her list in each episode. I'm on the fence with it.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/the_mentalist/

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose View Post

I'll be watching and I think all the Psych and TM comparison is repitious . I enjoy Psych too so I'll be watching both shows and enjoy the obvious differences .
I think the promo clips look good and also find Simon Baker a very charismatic actor and I always liked Robin Tunney on Prison Break despite all the negativity thrown at her and her Veronica character. She still is a great actress and her character Teresa looks to be a tough as nails woman who is going to clash with Patrick and I see plenty of chemistry in the brief clips I've seen so I'm going to check this out !

Interesting you say Baker is charismatic, I've found him to be rather dull and monotonic in most everything I've seen him in. He did do the psycho somewhat well in Smith, but even then it seemed like he was phoning it in.

I'll definitely be checking this one out though, it is CBS and they seem to get it right more often than not.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 126
sorry, I can't watch any TV show or movie where the male lead is hotter than the female lead. It goes against the natural order.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

You see that start to play out at the end of the show. Without giving anything away, he already knows what makes her tick.. much as she tries to hide herself from him. You get a glimpse of that in the epilogue scene. That tension is going to play out nicely over the course of the series. Assuming it doesn't get the ax.

I'm hoping CBS gives The Mentalist a solid chance in building the audience it needs but it is CBS we are talking about so that's debatable
But I'm holding out more hope seeing TM make it last than The Unit which CBS stupidly moved to the Sunday Night 10pm timeslot which has me going WTH was CBS thinking ?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is this gonna be a show the audience can play along with (i.e. see the clues and try to puzzle it out) or are they just gonna keep tossing out deus ex machina clues at the end?

I'd rather see a TV version of an adult style "Encyclopedia Brown" than yet another show where they get that "final clue" 5 minutes from the end and browbeat a "confession" from a random guest star based purely on circumstantial evidence. I realize this is the MO of almost every procedural show from CSI to Bones but it would be nice to mix it up a bit :P
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post

I'd rather see a TV version of an adult style "Encyclopedia Brown" than yet another show where they get that "final clue" 5 minutes from the end and browbeat a "confession" from a random guest star based purely on circumstantial evidence. I realize this is the MO of almost every procedural show from CSI to Bones but it would be nice to mix it up a bit :P

You've just summed up why I don't watch procedurals. If it ain't heavily serialized, I ain't bothering with it. And that's all due to the DVR. I would have thought the proliferation of those magical gadgets, which means one never again has to miss an episode of his favorite show, would have helped bring on a new age of wonderfully plotted serial shows. Instead, they seem to inspire a devout following of True Believers, while the cookie-cutter procedurals continue to draw the mass audiences to their nice, neat 42 minute packages of mass produced blandness.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

It goes against the natural order.

Lol
New Episodes Start Tuesday, Sept. 23

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Old 09-14-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

im not sure if the mentalist is going to be a straight on procedural...there seems like theres going to be enough back story to keep and underlying plot going for the entire seasons...that alone keeps me interested...
Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'll watch, because I'm a fan of Psych and it will be interesting to see the concept played out as a serious drama as opposed to a comedy.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
That aint right. How can you go and rip-off Psych? The yin-yang of Gus's pessimism and Shawn's side-show are what keep that show afloat; don't see how Mentalist can pull this off. But I could be wrong.....nah....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

thats the thing, i dont think they are going for that comedy aspect...unless its a dry sardonic type humor...psych has more straight on gags (not that thats bad in any way)...show doesnt need a gus type character for him to play off of..
Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Is this gonna be a show the audience can play along with (i.e. see the clues and try to puzzle it out) or are they just gonna keep tossing out deus ex machina clues at the end?

I, too, would like to know this. Willing to give it a shot if it is inviting the audience to figure it out as the episode goes. Little clues in the shots along the way. That would be fun... I'll watch the pilot to find out.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

anyone seen these viral videos they put out for the show...pretty interesting...good time killer..
Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

anyone seen these viral videos they put out for the show...pretty interesting...good time killer..

Seen the whole first ep. What's scary is when I offered up the DVD to everyone else at work, only one person was interested. Hope that's not any kind of indication of the general interest in the show.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I'll watch, because I'm a fan of Psych and it will be interesting to see the concept played out as a serious drama as opposed to a comedy.

I'm a big fan of Psych but I only put up with the concept when combined with a lot of humor. As a serious procedural, I don't think so, unless you put it in an exotic location, like Betelgeuse or Alpha Centauri.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
A sci-fi crime procedural could be pretty cool If they put some thought into their techno-babble and kept it internally consistent it might actually work!

Anyway, how was the first ep? If I remember I'll add it to the DVR.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Quote:

A sci-fi crime procedural could be pretty cool If they put some thought into their techno-babble and kept it internally consistent it might actually work!

I thought that was what 24 was, other than "put some thought into their techno-babble and kept it internally consistent it might actually work!" part
Old 09-23-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Actually the first ep is airing tonight at 9...i dont have a tuesday night show, so ill be watching..
Old 09-23-2008, 08:22 PM

I liked the pilot and will add it to my list of shows to watch. Hope the show gets impressive ratings though since its competition is Fringe ( another good series ) and it is also taking the place of the timeslot previously owned by The Unit which is moving to Sunday Night and The Unit did great after NCIS so I am curious seeing how TM does !
Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It was better than I expected. Though I'm sick of lead characters who are tortured souls.

Did anyone else notice the guy has never met an iron?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Watched about one-quarter of the episode then tuned out...permanently. Seemed like "Monk" minus the quirkiness, and the lead actor doesn't carry it IMO. Too many crime-based shows on my viewing list already.-- John
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How is Jane allowed to work on the Red John case if his family was killed by Red John? Is his team unaware that he has a personal vendetta going on?