2008 Beijing Paralympic Games on BBC HD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The BBC showed the opening ceremony of the 2008 Paralympics from Beijing on BBC HD this weekend, and are showing quite a lot of the events live in SD on BBCi Interactive, along with a daily highlights show, and more HD coverage at weekends.

Is anyone in the US showing this in SD or HD? Be interesting if it is HD on a non-NBC network, to see how the picture quality varies. AIUI much of the same coverage infrastructure (IBC etc.) is being used - albeit on a smaller scale?

AIUI China led the medals table in 2004, with the UK second (we started the Paralympic movement in the UK ISTR) - so there is quite a lot of UK interest. However ISTR that the US came 3rd - so there should be some US interest as well - albeit on a different scale to the main games?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here in the US the Paralympics are being aired on a digital subchannel called Universal Sports which is owned by NBC and shown in only a handful of markets, they are also streaming live coverage over their website.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member

The CBC aired the Opening Ceremonies on Saturday night, but only in a 1-hour time slot. The picture was 16:9 but a bit fuzzy so I figured it wasn't HD, as the Olympics were a few weeks ago.

We do not have daily coverage here for these games. The next highlight package of the Paralympics will be aired next Saturday, probably not in HD either. The Canadians tended to do quite well in these games, they had tens of medals from the last one.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

We do not have daily coverage here for these games. The next highlight package of the Paralympics will be aired next Saturday, probably not in HD either. The Canadians tended to do quite well in these games, they had tens of medals from the last one.

Yep - I was wrong with my recollection. Canada came 3rd on the medal table in 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...le/3663328.stm

The BBC go quite strongly on the Paralympics, as they do the wheelchair races in the London Marathon etc.

This is the current Beijing table :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...le/default.stm
post #5 of 12 Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCC07 View Post

Here in the US the Paralympics are being aired on a digital subchannel called Universal Sports which is owned by NBC and shown in only a handful of markets, they are also streaming live coverage over their website.

Is it the Universal HD which broadcast Olympics? I can't find any channel for the Paralympics. US is well know for caring for the disabled but this huge events for them is not being delivered in TV to them and their family and the society. It's a shame. It's said worldwidw there are 40 tv networks broadcasting the Paralympics.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

Is it the Universal HD which broadcast Olympics?

No, Universal Sports is the former WCSN, which is a subchannel on select DTV stations.

http://www.universalsports.com/

Where to find: http://www.universalsports.tv/Univer...rts_on_TV.html

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 12 Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately I am not in the covered market.

From the limited news reports it's said the opening ceremony was also great and could touch people in a special way given the facts that some shows were performed by disabled people. And the games also were amazing such as the man's 100m. I believe it showed more spirit or showed it more apparently.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

Unfortunately I am not in the covered market.

From the limited news reports it's said the opening ceremony was also great and could touch people in a special way given the facts that some shows were performed by disabled people. And the games also were amazing such as the man's 100m. I believe it showed more spirit or showed it more apparently.

Yep - the Paralympics are getting pretty good figures in the UK on BBC One and Two (with some stuff simulcast on BBC HD), and the bulk of the live coverage available on Press Red digital interactive TV via OTA, Cable and Satellite. (16:9 SD)

The live opening ceremony got over 2 million viewers and a 21% share - making it the most watched programme on UK TV at the time. The daily 1900-2000 round-up show is shown on the BBC mainstream minority channel, BBC Two, and is getting around a 9% share (1.9 million) against very strong soaps, magazine shows and sit coms on ITV1 and BBC One.

The BBC have decided to cover this in as similar way as possible to their Olympics coverage, as a major sporting event, and haven't gone big on the "trial over adversity" background features, any more than they would an able-bodied sports competitor. AIUI such features are often viewed as patronising and insulting by the disability sport community.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My guess is that nobody other than maybe CCTV-5 in China is showing much beyond the Opening Ceremonies. Of the 40 stations around the world that even aired the Opening, most probably only broadcast a small portion of that roughly 3.5 hour event.

The way the Paralympics is being treated in China is sort of like the lesser College Football Bowl Games in smaller cities. The host city & the participants make a big deal out if it, but beyond that, there is little interest elsewhere.

Thus, I find it hard to believe that Universal Sports will be able to generate much of an audience when these games air on TV a month from now.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

My guess is that nobody other than maybe CCTV-5 in China is showing much beyond the Opening Ceremonies. Of the 40 stations around the world that even aired the Opening, most probably only broadcast a small portion of that roughly 3.5 hour event.

The BBC is... An hour a day of highlights on BBC Two, live/recorded coverage 1000-1600 on the interactive TV channels we have over here (if you watch via OTA, cable or satellite you get between 2 and 6 streams of full-frame extra video), and more live on the main channels at weekends.

Think CBC may also be covering in greater depth than just the ceremonies. They've got stuff at the weekend and quite a comprehensive web offering

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/paralympics/

ABC Australia are doing an 1800-1900 show daily during the games as well (quite a high profile slot).

http://www.abc.net.au/paralympics/

Does seem very odd to be delaying the coverage till next month... Particularly as the US is currently 3rd in the table, behind Great Britain, and ahead of Australia.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just saw an online version of the Closing Ceremonies. Program itself was just okay. The commentators did mention that the London bus segment at the Olympics Closing was the first part of an act that was completed at the Paralympics Closing. This time the people in the bus were arriving back home in London. Guess that explains why there were a few dancers in wheelchairs.

During the Olympics, some folks were complaining about the NBC logo covering up the flame. I wonder if this is why the flame was positioned on the left side of the screen instead.

Anyway just from casual observation, it seemed like there was almost no mention of the athletic competition here during the past week and a half. Only news item I remember seeing relating to these Games was the forfeiting of the basketball game by Iran.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Just saw an online version of the Closing Ceremonies. Program itself was just okay. The commentators did mention that the London bus segment at the Olympics Closing was the first part of an act that was completed at the Paralympics Closing. This time the people in the bus were arriving back home in London. Guess that explains why there were a few dancers in wheelchairs.

During the Olympics, some folks were complaining about the NBC logo covering up the flame. I wonder if this is why the flame was positioned on the left side of the screen instead.

Anyway just from casual observation, it seemed like there was almost no mention of the athletic competition here during the past week and a half. Only news item I remember seeing relating to these Games was the forfeiting of the basketball game by Iran.

Yep - pity - as the US came 3rd on the medals table this year, behind China and Great Britain. The BBC showed extensive coverage - including the closing ceremony live in HD (and also repeated in the evening)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page