Golf Channel coverage of Ryder Cup 08' - Not HD. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't understand the Golf channels lack of HD in their early coverage of Ryder Cup 08" Comcast plans to split the Versus HD/Golf HD into their own HD slots but can't even give us HD for one of the most watched events in golf. I would have thought this was their chance to showcase why they need to split these two channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Golf Channel, when other networks are handling events, usually runs its "Live from..." coverage, which doesn't include shots of matches.

Looks like ESPN-HD has 9/19 coverage (8 am ET) and NBC-HD the weekend. See:
http://www.hdsportsguide.com/golf/
This news brief indicates today's coverage at 4 pm is just the opening ceremony
--John
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

That is exactly what I was refering to when I said early coverage. Don't you think Live From and the opening ceremony should be in HD on a channel boasting itself as GolfHD?
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 AM

Lots of HD channels have a mixture of HD and SD programming. Personally I don't need to see better resolution of a collection of talking heads sitting around a desk. Unless you want to see Kelly (or is it Kelli) in all her HD goodness. Not my type. I did like that dark-haired, wide-mouthed woman who left Golf Central to go to the networks and has since fallen into oblivion. What was her name?

One thing I like about the fact that some of their events coverage is still in SD is that I can use the zoom feature on my TV to push the incredibly annoying crawl they use off the bottom of my screen. No channel annoys me more with its crawl than the Golf Channel. Not only must they tell us the scores of every single event, they keep telling us those scores over and over again. How about running it once for a minute or two every ten or fifteen minutes? How many times do I need to see that Paul Casey is at -7 in some Euro event? If it's the ad revenue they want from the logo in the lower left, let them just show the logo for the alloted time and get rid of the scroll.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page