'Syfy' HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I still have hope Charlie Jade will return someday with new episodes.

It's available on Netflix streaming, not HD, but it looks pretty darn good nonetheless. Maybe Netflix will pick it up and add it to their growing stable of original content, the show is somewhat international in nature and Netflix is expanding around the world with their streaming product, so... .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

You and me both, bro'. CJ was sci-fi for serious science fiction lovers. Not to mention action/adventure lovers. And folks who just dig the awesome Jeffrey Pierce (who had a recurring role in 'Alcatraz' this season).
post #273 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

They could have had a winner if they had gone to series with 'The Lost Room'.

Thanks. It's still one of my favorite projects, and the only script I've ever had that I couldn't put down from start to finish. It would have been a great series.
post #274 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It's available on Netflix streaming, not HD, but it looks pretty darn good nonetheless. Maybe Netflix will pick it up and add it to their growing stable of original content, the show is somewhat international in nature and Netflix is expanding around the world with their streaming product, so... .

Only problem is that it's been out of production for something like four years -- so if someone wanted to bring it back, it might be very difficult to reassemble a team to produce another season.
post #275 of 355 Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Only problem is that it's been out of production for something like four years -- so if someone wanted to bring it back, it might be very difficult to reassemble a team to produce another season.

True, people do scatter to the winds, but 'Charlie Jade' was filmed in South Africa using mostly actors from that part of the world. The biggest star was Jeffrey Pierce, and he's available. Unless he's contractually tied to 'Alcatraz' or has a pilot in the works that might be picked up. I don't think either is particularly likely.

Bottom line - if they could assemble enough investors they could do it. The key is a U.S. partner. Robert Wertheimer (the creator and executive producer) has said they can't do it without one. Syfy Network treated them pretty badly, and really isn't interested in that kind of science fiction anyway. TNT might be a better bet. I don't think any of the premium cable channels or Netflix would see it as compelling programming for them (i.e. something that would pull in new subscribers).
post #276 of 355 Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah charlie jade!!!!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #277 of 355 Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mia Kirshner (“24,” “The L Word”) and Fionnula Flanagan (“Brotherhood,” “Lost”) has have joined Julie Benz (“Angel,” “Dexter”) and Grant Bowler (“Ugly Betty,” “True Blood”) for “Defiance,” a Syfy pilot about a “frontier boomtown” situated on an Earth devastated by a “universal war.”

Kirshner plays the town madam, Bowler plays the local lawman, Flanagan plays the ex-mayor and Benz plays the hottest mayor ever.

The potential series was created by Michael Taylor (“Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Star Trek: Voyager,” “Battlestar Galactica,” “Virtuality,” “Caprica,” “Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome”), Rockne S. O’Bannon (“Seaquest,” “Farscape,” “V”) and Kevin Murphy (“Desperate Housewives,” “Caprica”).

Argee
post #278 of 355 Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"the hottest mayor ever". Heh
post #279 of 355 Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 168
TV Notes
Syfy Sets Dates for 'Warehouse 13,' 'Alphas' Returns and 'Eureka' Farewell
By Philiana Ng, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - May 15, 2012

Syfy has set its summer schedule with the returns of Warehouse 13 and Alphas, in addition to the final episodes of long-running series Eureka.

The cable network bids farewell to Eureka on Monday, July 16 at 9 p.m. after five seasons.

Warehouse 13 kicks off season four and Alphas launches its second round on July 23 at 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., respectively.

Additionally, Canadian sci-fi drama Lost Girl will move to its new Friday time slot beginning July 20 at 10 p.m.

Other Syfy staples will also make their summer return: Destination Truth (season five begins July 10 at 8 p.m.), Haunted Collector (season 2 premieres June 6 at 9 p.m.), Face Off (season three premieres Aug. 21 at 9 p.m.) and Paranormal Witness (season two launches Aug. 8 at 10 p.m.).

New fare Paranormal Highway with Jack Osbourne (debuts July 10 at 10 p.m.), School Spirits from Mark Burnett (debuts June 20 at 10 p.m.) and Insane or Inspired? (debuts May 25 at 10 p.m.) also launch this summer.

Original Saturday movies return with Jersey Shore Shark Attack (June 9 at 9 p.m.), Piranhaconda (June 16 at 9 p.m.), Arachnoquake (June 23 at 9 p.m.) and Bigfoot (June 30 at 9 p.m.).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-alphas-324732
post #280 of 355 Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

So Lost Girl is taking Havens slot? Where is Haven season 3 going to air. I bet thats a misprint or crossed info on Lost Girl as they will be out of new episodes by July. Season 3 of Lost Girl is commisioned but not ready yet. Good money says Haven will return to Fridays 10PM in July. (or perhaps not! LOL!)and perhaps Lost Girl season 3 will follow after Havens run is done in September.

Argee
post #281 of 355 Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Haven is my favorite SciFi (yes I know it's spelled differently now) show. I sure hope they don't mess with it.
post #282 of 355 Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Where is Sanctuary?

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #283 of 355 Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Piranhaconda and Arachnoquake? Really?!?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #284 of 355 Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Piranhaconda and Arachnoquake? Really?!?

Only the best movies are shown on SyFy! Can't wait for Jersey Shore Shark Attack with The Situation. It will be an instant classic.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #285 of 355 Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

Only the best movies are shown on SyFy! Can't wait for Jersey Shore Shark Attack with The Situation. It will be an instant classic.

Yeah, I know. They must stay awake at nights thinking up these CRAZY things, but then to actually turn them into movies?!? It would have been even better if it were Kansas Shark Attack!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #286 of 355 Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Where is Sanctuary?

Yeah...? That's the only thing left on that channel I still watch. I can't remember reading anything about it being either canceled or renewed.
post #287 of 355 Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Yeah...? That's the only thing left on that channel I still watch. I can't remember reading anything about it being either canceled or renewed.

Same here.
post #288 of 355 Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
It says it'll be returning Oct. 7th at 10 p.m.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #289 of 355 Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Where is Sanctuary?

It the HOTP thread, there is alink mentioing that Sanctuary will not be returning...

TV Notes
Syfy's 'Sanctuary' Will Not Return for Season 5

By Philiana Ng, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - May 21, 2012

Syfy has pulled the plug on Sanctuary.

The sci-fi drama led by Stargate alum Amanda Tapping will not return for a fifth season, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed.

"We’re honored to have been part of this incredible series. In addition to garnering unmatched devotion by fans worldwide, Sanctuary was a bona fide trailblazer, setting new standards with its highly innovative production techniques – including pioneering green screen and RED camera technology – and Emmy-nominated visual effects," said Mark Stern, president, Syfy original content and co-head, UCP.

"It’s been an amazing ride and we look forward to our next project with Amanda Tapping, Martin Wood and Damian Kindler," the statement continued.

Tapping took to Twitter on Monday afternoon to address the series' fans and thank them for their support: "To all the fans of @SanctuarySeries we love and adore you. Thank you for the love and support. Now to the long dark tea time of my soul. "

Sanctuary wrapped its 13-episode fourth season in December.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ed-syfy-327303
post #290 of 355 Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 285
^^

That leaves Haven as the only current show I thought worth watching on this channel. The rest of the current slate is useless to me.

http://www.examiner.com/article/syfy...ry-no-season-5

Steve
post #291 of 355 Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Aaaand, not renewing 'Sanctuary' means that's a wrap for the Syfy channel in the ol' archihouse. I can remove that channel number from my remote now. C-ya', don't wanna' be ya'.
post #292 of 355 Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Aaaand, not renewing 'Sanctuary' means that's a wrap for the Syfy channel in the ol' archihouse. I can remove that channel number from my remote now. C-ya', don't wanna' be ya'.

So Warehouse 13 is not an option for you? What about Merlin?
post #293 of 355 Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

So Warehouse 13 is not an option for you? What about Merlin?

Not into sci-fi-lite, but I understand many are - that's fine. That's the direction they've chosen to go, along with reality shows and of course, that sci-fi staple, 'rasslin'.

What did I like on that channel? BSG, Caprica, SG:U, The Lost Room, that sort of thing. 'Sanctuary' was kind of my guilty pleasure on there (loved Amanda Tapping as a British brunette), but now it's gone too. And so am I. They won't miss me; I'm not part of their target audience anymore.
post #294 of 355 Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 285
^^
yes, I can relate to what you say (sigh)
I guess maybe I shouldn't have beat up on Caprica
If it had lasted longer, maybe we could have gotten the next BSG offshoot.

I tried W13 for (don't remember) something > 6 eps but less than the season. I just couldn't get into the show, for whatever reason. W13, Sanctuary & Haven are all SF-fantasies but for some reason, I liked S & H but didn't W13...don't know why. Never did like Eureka, so no loss there for me.

But another season of SG-U & spinoff of BSG - yes those were my style, too.

Several of the possible new shows aren't fantasy, more hard SF, and we can hope the suits that run this "channel" put 'em on the air. We can hope...

Steve
post #295 of 355 Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Several of the possible new shows aren't fantasy, more hard SF, and we can hope the suits that run this "channel" put 'em on the air. We can hope...

Or worse, put then on the air and then cancel them just as they start getting good.

We actually gave up on Sanctuary before this last season, it just got way to choppy in terms of writing and actually being good for us.

Love Haven and W13, Eureka is done soon.

Any new show will have to really wow me to actually get me to try it. I just don't trust SyFy. Other channels seem to do sci-fi/fantasy better. If it aint wrassling or reality SyFy just doesn't care.

Scott
post #296 of 355 Old 05-24-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

post #297 of 355 Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 168
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page) biggrin.gif

TV Notes
Syfy movies are all about fear and fun
By Carol Memmott, USA Today - Jun. 21, 2012

Toss pop-culture mainstays like Danny Bonaduce, Edward Furlong and Joey Fatone into a vat loaded with giant spiders, Bigfoot, killer sharks and a piranha-anaconda hybrid. The result: the summer batch of Syfy channel Saturday Original Movies packed with blood, guts, horror and a lot of laughs.

The cable channel known for science fiction, fantasy, paranormal and adventure programming has cranked out more than 230 original movies since 2002. This year, those broadcasts have averaged nearly 2 million viewers, up 5% over 2011.

Four new classics for June (two have already aired but will repeat in July):

•Jersey Shore Shark Attack, a snarky nod to Jersey Shore with Melissa Molinaro as a character named Nooki, and Jeremy Luc as "The Complication." Jersey Shore's Vinny Guadagnino even has a small role, as does former 'N Sync-er Fatone. Plot, for what it's worth, concerns angry sharks over the July 4th weekend, dining on residents of Seaside Heights, the Jersey beach town best known as the home to the MTV show that stars Snooki and The Situation.

•Piranhaconda, from B-movie icon Roger Corman (who has also contributed Sharktopus), revolves around a half-fish/half-snake that terrorizes a movie crew shooting on an island. It stars Teri Ivens (All My Children) and Michael Madsen (Kill Bill 1 & 2).

•Arachnoquake, in which beleaguered New Orleans is now terrorized by giant spiders unleashed by earthquakes, starring Tracey Gold (Growing Pains) and Furlong (Terminator 2: Judgment Day). Airs Saturday.

•Bigfoot, starring Bonaduce (The Partridge Family) and Barry Williams (The Brady Bunch). Airs June 30.

"We've put together four fun movies in a row," says Syfy original movies chief Thomas Vitale. "It's June. It's escapist popcorn fare. They're the kind of movies that are released theatrically in the summer — the big, special-effects-driven movies to give you an emotional release."

They may mix fun and fear, but "their production is taken very seriously," says Ken Badish of Active Entertainment, which produced Arachnoquake and past Syfy originals Swamp Shark and SwampVolcano. "We're able to do so much more even on a relatively lower budget than we could a few years ago."

Badish says technological advancements have enhanced filmmakers' ability to add higher-quality CGI for less. "We have the ability to deliver production values that are comparable to studio films because we're using the same cameras, the same lenses, the same (executive producers) and crews. We're able to make better B-movies."

And the actors appreciate the benefits of mixing horror with hoke, and are quick to joke about it.

"I had one condition, and that was that I could beat the heck out of Danny Bonaduce at some point in the movie," says Williams, best known for playing squeaky clean Greg Brady. (In a 2002 match on Fox's Celebrity Boxing, Bonaduce, who played the mischief-making Danny Partridge, bested him.)

Williams knows that casting him and Bonaduce is a publicity stunt with the potential to draw curious fans of these vintage '70s shows. "When you team Barry Williams and Danny Bonaduce in a movie, that's inescapable," he says.

Bonaduce shares the sentiment. "If you took The Partridge Family-Brady Bunch quantum out of this, you'd have yourself a pretty good sci-fi movie about Bigfoot. It's just that big numbers (of viewers) are going to be coming because of Greg Brady vs. Danny Partridge going after Bigfoot. Otherwise, you'd just have the Bigfoot cult and the sci-fi cult."

That broad appeal, says Vitale, makes these movies more promotable and gives them a higher media profile. "It's more important than ever to be talked about right now." "Syfy" and "Joey Fatone," for example, were among top trending topics on Twitter while Jersey Shore Shark Attack was airing.

In the run-up to Halloween, Syfy will offer darker original movies this fall, including American Horror House, with Morgan Fairchild and Alessandra Torresani, and Dead Walking, with LeVar Burton and Mariel Hemingway.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/story/2012-06-21/syfy-saturday-movies/55725222/1
post #298 of 355 Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page) biggrin.gif
TV Notes
Syfy movies are all about fear and fun
"We've put together four fun movies in a row," says Syfy original movies chief Thomas Vitale. "It's June. It's escapist popcorn fare. They're the kind of movies that are released theatrically in the summer — the big, special-effects-driven movies to give you an emotional release."
They may mix fun and fear, but "their production is taken very seriously," says Ken Badish of Active Entertainment, which produced Arachnoquake and past Syfy originals Swamp Shark and SwampVolcano. "We're able to do so much more even on a relatively lower budget than we could a few years ago."
Badish says technological advancements have enhanced filmmakers' ability to add higher-quality CGI for less. "We have the ability to deliver production values that are comparable to studio films because we're using the same cameras, the same lenses, the same (executive producers) and crews. We're able to make better B-movies."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/story/2012-06-21/syfy-saturday-movies/55725222/1

Too bad they are unable to utilize their budgets for entertaining or decent scripts.

post #299 of 355 Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

They won't miss me; I'm not part of their target audience anymore.

Me either. I can only surmise that it is tween crowd looking for a scare. They do have disposable income, don't they? rolleyes.gif
post #300 of 355 Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

Me either. I can only surmise that it is tween crowd looking for a scare. They do have disposable income, don't they? rolleyes.gif

Oh for the days of good SciFi .....

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page