'Syfy' HD - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 355 Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Maybe they should change the name to Sy Fi plus schlock.

I am a big fan of the channel but they sure do go way beyond sci fi with cheesy monster movies that almost always have the same plot - someone accidentally unleashes a demon, crappy cgi, out of work once famous actors and then some closure. Same story, different monster and location. It is really sad that schlock monster movies are considered for this channel and there are so many of them being done.

I think they should stick with what they have now and spend more time getting decent product out there (and if need be for budget reasons, get old shows that are quality to fill in the gaps).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 355 Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

Here's some info about " SyFy's "new" Direction ...

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/03/syfy-plans-return-to-traditional-science-fiction-drama/

Syfy hasn’t had a breakout hit since Battlestar Galactica left the air in 2009. Its shows typically draw between 1 and 2 million live viewers. Compare that with The Walking Dead, which recently scored more than 15 million with its mid-season premiere.
There is also a future for international co-productions and acquisitions. Syfy has found success in the traditional sci-fi genre with Canadian imports like Continuum and Lost Girl. Since such shows are partially or fully financed by their home networks abroad, Syfy can pick up exclusive first-run rights in the U.S. for a modest price.

Other scripted dramas at some stage of development at Syfy include Dominion (to premiere this year), High Moon, 12 Monkeys (both at the pilot stage), Hunters, Orion, and several others. Watch GateWorld’s sister site, SciFi Stream, for the latest developments.[/I]

Check out Post #321...from a year ago. Which of those have we seen a year kater?

post #333 of 355 Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

Syfy Plans Return To Traditional Science Fiction Drama

eek.gif

we'll see. BSG was the last truly great SF show they had. Caprica was watchable but had lots of warts from its pacing & writing style.

IF (BIG IF) they manage to pull off good adaptations of Ringworld & Childhood's End, as is rumored, I will be quite surprised. If their idea of good SF drama is Helix, it'll be a rough ride.

Whoever manages this channel has let it go downhill to the point of being close to irrelevant for decent programming, let alone SF programming. They pissed away opportunities like Caprica & Stargate Universe for hard SF fans. And Helix has been mediocre at best, a big disappointment.

After the end of Sanctuary, I was down to only 1 show I thought was good, Haven.

S1 of Defiance was OK but overall pretty typical network style show with predictable plots, cliched characters you don't care about & disappointingly silly (punk alien DJ & native American with daughter issues tongue.gif)

I think Continuum has been a pretty good SF story with interesting characters but...
SyFy had nothing to do with its production, just importing it from Canada.

So that's no indication they can make another good SF show like BSG. They flipped off Firefly & Farscape.

Next up - Dominion. That's not SF, just another supernatural show based on a failed movie tongue.gif might turn out to be good, but it's not scifi.

Time will tell but this channel has gone so far downhill, the only place to go is up rolleyes.gif

Let's hope they will bring back good programming for SF fans.

Steve
post #334 of 355 Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I call it Caprica 90210. It was tough to get thru.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #335 of 355 Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I call it Caprica 90210. It was tough to get thru.

yes, I agree. I was frustrated watching that show. I hated the rapid cuts every few minutes between plots & tangential plotlines that went on & on but didn't add to the main story (Tauren mafia?) that's why I think it was a missed opportunity, not because they cancelled it but because of how it was written.

Steve
post #336 of 355 Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

So that's no indication they can make another good SF show like BSG. They flipped off Firefly & Farscape.

It was the FOX Network that flipped off 'Firefly'.

Quote:

yes, I agree. I was frustrated watching that show . I hated the rapid cuts every few minutes between plots & tangential plotlines that went on & on but didn't add to the main story (Tauren mafia?)

I think they were probably trying to build a "deep bench" mythology by setting a big table with lots of pieces in the first year. In reality, coming off BSG, people wanted a more action/adventure oriented show and that's not what 'Caprica' was. Who knows what it may have ended up being once they got to the first Cylon war.
post #337 of 355 Old 03-26-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

It was the FOX Network that flipped off 'Firefly'.

yup, you're right. sorry...
didn't SyFy pick it & run it again afterwards? I could swear I remember it running on SyFy for its 13/14 eps.

Steve
post #338 of 355 Old 03-26-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

yup, you're right. sorry...
didn't SyFy pick it & run it again afterwards? I could swear I remember it running on SyFy for its 13/14 eps.

The Science channel runs firefly episodes and marathons once in a while.... I didn't like BSG but miss SGU. Continuum is my favorite but we also watch Helix, Lost Girl, Being Human and Defiance. The metal hurlant chronicles coming up looks fun. The space opera mini-series coming up later on this year looks good as well. I would love a new star-trek or star-wars series to come out.... I think the main problem is the "Neilsen families", I just don't think they are sci-fi fans. When look at social networks and online viewing, some of these sci-fi shows have decent followings.
post #339 of 355 Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Tales from the Darkside
One Step Beyond

Sci Fi is all about short stories and anthologies.
post #340 of 355 Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm amazed how this thread gets resurrected like a bad syfy channel zombie movie every once in a while. haha 6 years ago they changed their name! Time flies!

I'm curious if these new shows will be any good. I will tune in for a few just to see if they changed their predictable storytelling production style. Everything seems to have the same acting, directing style with lame plot twists. Helix is borderline unwatchable with the stupid side plot so far. Hopefully the show doesn't get anymore slow and dragged out. That show had a lot of potential if it was a mini series.

Since 6 years have passed i've probably only watched SGU(Cancelled), Alphas(Cancelled), BSG. and Helix on a regular viewing schedule.

Other shows like...

Warehouse 13(watched first two seasons, gave up on it after they came back from that long break)

Eureka(watched first three-four seasons)

Sanctuary(tortured myself with the first season)

Being human(Tortured myself for about half the first season. I did enjoy the BBC version for the most part)

Defiance(watched most of the season)

These shows all suffer from having way too much filler that drags the main story arc to a crawl. Boring stories which brings in lame acting, and not one memorable episode out of any of those shows.
Why bother even watching? Defiance had so much potential but syfy channel had to make it a small town sheriff story where the main character needs to save this crappy town every week instead of a show where these two interesting human/alien father/daughter relationship is told as they try to survive in this hostel world. An emotional struggle like the walking dead would have been awesome. But we're instead left with these pale vampire politicians that want nothing more than absolute power/greed and their undying lust for bright white rooms. WTF! One small town sheriff show ends and we get another one!

SyFy ceo in every board meeting is like

ceo " What ya got?"
writing staff " We have a cool show in the works with Robots defending the world from aliens"
ceo " does it take plan in a small town? We gotta have more small town sheriff shows... if it doesn't, work that in. Robot sheriff. Bam!"

Joe.T
post #341 of 355 Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

'Ringworld' miniseries in the works at Syfy -- EXCLUSIVE

by James Hibberd

Two classic sci-fi novels are in the works at Syfy. The network is developing miniseries projects based on Larry Niven’s Ringworld and Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End.

Michael Perry (The River, Paranormal Activity 2) is adapting Ringworld as a four-hour miniseries. The story follows a team of explorers that travel to the farthest reaches of space to investigate an alien artifact called Ringworld – an artificial habitat the size of one million Earths. As they crash land on this enormous structure, they discover the remnants of ancient civilizations, technology beyond their wildest dreams, mysteries that shed light on the very origins of man and, most importantly, a possible salvation for a doomed Earth.

For Ringworld fans, this news might cause some deja vu. Syfy previously considered making a Ringworld miniseries under a different production team nine years ago.

Childhood’s End will be executive produced by Michael DeLuca (The Social Network) and follows a peaceful alien invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords, whose arrival ends all war and turns the planet into a near-utopia.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/10/ringworld-syfy/

Did either of these air or are they still in development?

Would be great if `Childhood's End` made it to film.
post #342 of 355 Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Did either of these air or are they still in development?

Would be great if `Childhood's End` made it to film.

I remember reading "Childhood's End" many, many years ago, it's considered a real classic in sci-fi literature, but I really can't remember anything about it. redface.gif So, any film treatment will be new to me! smile.gif
post #343 of 355 Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen anything more online re CE & RW since that April announcement. But if SyFy doesn't do to a Riverworld number on them, they both could be neat! Harken back to the era of Dune & CoD miniseries. Both would be very nice for hard SF fans.

I also read both of them many years ago. I kind of remember the ending of Childhood's End but don't recall how it gets there wink.gif Ringworld is a big classic, too.

Steve
post #344 of 355 Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen anything more online re CE & RW since that April announcement. But if SyFy doesn't do to a Riverworld number on them, they both could be neat! Harken back to the era of Dune & CoD miniseries. Both would be very nice for hard SF fans.

I also read both of them many years ago. I kind of remember the ending of Childhood's End but don't recall how it gets there wink.gif Ringworld is a big classic, too.

I read the whole series of CE in public school as well, but that was 25 years ago and I don't remember much of it.

Reckon it's time to do it again, rather than wait for the film. Wonder if they're still in print? wink.gif

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood%27s_End
post #345 of 355 Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Did anybody read or see the t.v. series "THe tripods". The first book was called "The white mountains" by John Christopher. I love these books when I was a kid. THis would be a great reboot of a series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tripods
ltownsend likes this.
post #346 of 355 Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

I read the whole series of CE in public school as well, but that was 25 years ago and I don't remember much of it.

Reckon it's time to do it again, rather than wait for the film. Wonder if they're still in print? wink.gif

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood%27s_End

Sorry, but I was mistaken. The series I read was Asimov's Foundation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_Series
post #347 of 355 Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
another true SF classic smile.gif

also read decades ago. I was an Asimov fan. read some of his science books in my teen years, not just his SF.

actually got to see him at a lecture once. when in college he did a visiting prof lecture group in a classroom setting not a lecture hall. very interesting man. he was there on science topics, not SF.

Steve
post #348 of 355 Old 03-28-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^
another true SF classic smile.gif

also read decades ago. I was an Asimov fan. read some of his science books in my teen years, not just his SF.

actually got to see him at a lecture once. when in college he did a visiting prof lecture group in a classroom setting not a lecture hall. very interesting man. he was there on science topics, not SF.

Asimov was incredibly prolific. Wrote or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters or postcards. His books have been published in 9 of the 10 major categories of the Dewey Decimal Classification. eek.gif
post #349 of 355 Old 03-30-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Haven is still one of the better shows on television. The rest of their current line-up is very uneven. They probably handle supernatural and fantasy themes better than pure Sci-Fi at this point. I think the demands that hard Sci-Fi programs typically place on budgets due to expensive CGI and VFX have killed them. If it's not an immediate hit, it has to be canceled. Even the bigger networks stay away from Sci-Fi these days, even with the remote possibility they can create another Star Trek-level brand.
post #350 of 355 Old 03-30-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Haven is still one of the better shows on television

for what it is, agreed. I've enjoyed all seasons of it smile.gif

Steve
post #351 of 355 Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Good to hear. I've added Haven to my Netflix watch list. Looking forward to it.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #352 of 355 Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Yup, Haven is definitely a keeper.
tomhunter8 likes this.
post #353 of 355 Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
post #354 of 355 Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

I remember reading "Childhood's End" many, many years ago, it's considered a real classic in sci-fi literature, but I really can't remember anything about it. redface.gif So, any film treatment will be new to me! smile.gif

The devil's in the details
post #355 of 355 Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Quote:

The devil's in the details

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Shouldn't you have given a *SPOILER* notice for that? :D

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page