AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

In the end, they are a business
So, there's no way we can expect many shows on par with BSG, or SGA, SG1, Farscape etc. The best they can do is an occasional new SciFi show against a backdrop of crap like reality shows and wrestling. I suppose the best we could hope for would be some crazy kind of takeover by a group that aims to just produce great SciFi and would be happy to just break even in the process. Maybe a newly retired Bill Gates would decide to give back something to the geek community (for enduring Windows in it's pre 3.11 days ) and take over--all SciFi, all the time!

It's unfortunate that it's illegal to import channels from outside of the USA, like Space, or even the BBC or ITV. My first viewing of shows like the new Dr.Who, Charlie Jade, LEXX, Codename Eternity, Primeval, Torchwood, etc came from BetaMax tapes. (full length, uncut, with credits)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 355 Old 09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I agree; CJ did meander about a bit during the first half of its run, but was still hugely entertaining. IMO it got better every week. And that new writing team had really hit their stride by this point in the season. It has shaped up into an outstanding sci-fi program, about the best I've ever seen on Skiffy, bar one. Very popular elsewhere around the world, but virtually unknown here in the U.S.

While I really did enjoy "Charlie Jade", I can't help but wonder why a second season was never prodcued if it was very popular elsewhere.
post #33 of 355 Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

While I really did enjoy "Charlie Jade", I can't help but wonder why a second season was never prodcued if it was very popular elsewhere.

I don't know the answer to that. I do know it was a very expensive show to produce, and you could see the number of vfx shots decrease and more episodes designed to use their existing sets, less location shooting, etc. during the show's run. Robert Wirtheimer, the showrunner, talked about budget problems during some of the podcasts. My guess is the Canadian/South African consortium just ran out of money, or maybe there was behind the scenes friction...who knows? They still made a superb effort. Maybe there will be another season some day. If so, I'll look forward to it; sure have enjoyed the heck out of this one so far.
post #34 of 355 Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

Just finished a survey on it. Well this is one question they asked me.

You made the 'cover' over at Engadget.

You're famous!
post #35 of 355 Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I don't know the answer to that. I do know it was a very expensive show to produce, and you could see the number of vfx shots decrease and more episodes designed to use their existing sets, less location shooting, etc. during the show's run. Robert Wirtheimer, the showrunner, talked about budget problems during some of the podcasts. My guess is the Canadian/South African consortium just ran out of money, or maybe there was behind the scenes friction...who knows? They still made a superb effort. Maybe there will be another season some day. If so, I'll look forward to it; sure have enjoyed the heck out of this one so far.

I record CJ every week, and will miss the show. I was happy that my DVR found the show at 2:00 am, so that I did not have to miss any of this wonderful first and only session.

Long time audio / video enthusiast - gadget freak
post #36 of 355 Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

The problem isn't the name, it's the moronic content. "Galactica" is just the beard, the reality is "Ghost Hunters" or some movie-of-the-week about giant dragonflies or lava monsters. Frankly, as long as they don't call it "The SF Channel" I'm OK with it.
post #37 of 355 Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

I gave up on this channel years ago (after they cancelled FARSCAPE and refused to pick up FIREFLY). I did check out FLASH GORDON and quickly regretted it! I find all the STARGATE shows boring. BSG, I watch on UHD.

I wouldn't mind a name change...if it was also accompanied by personnel changes. (Bonnie Hammer would be better suited to working at Fox.)
post #38 of 355 Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM

I wouldn't complain about a name change for Sci Fi, as long as they let some other channel (presumably one that will actually focus on science fiction and not treat their audience like idiots) take the name.
post #39 of 355 Old 09-24-2008, 08:19 PM

Liked: 12
I gave up on this channel long ago. Maybe another channel will switch their name to Sci-Fi if it gets abandoned or just change to Science Fiction Channel now and produce some actual Sci-Fi. A network with no wrestling (I don't care if it's 1 hour a week - it's the principle of it) and no fantasy/supernatural or horror crap. Just pure unadulterated Science Fiction. Think Odyssey 5 or anything in the mold of Star Trek.
post #40 of 355 Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

I gave up on this channel long ago. Maybe another channel will switch their name to Sci-Fi if it gets abandoned or just change to Science Fiction Channel now and produce some actual Sci-Fi. A network with no wrestling (I don't care if it's 1 hour a week - it's the principle of it) and no fantasy/supernatural or horror crap. Just pure unadulterated Science Fiction. Think Odyssey 5 or anything in the mold of Star Trek.

Actually, 'Odyssey 5' would fit right in with SciFi Channel in its current incarnation. That show was an unholy mess from the git-go, a complete misfire on nearly every level save decent production values (and Showtime's first HD original). Peter Weller, a fine actor, deserved better. But, at least they had a proper budget to do some stellar vfx; something they wouldn't have had on SciFi.
post #41 of 355 Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I say let them change the name. Sci-Fi Channel has always been at the most only 10% actual Sci-Fi. Hell, even when they have an award winning Sci-Fi show such as BSG, they still manage to chase away viewers by putting on still more non-Sci-Fi crap, instead of seeing the light and taking advantage of that particular audience.

post #42 of 355 Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I say let them change the name. Sci-Fi Channel has always been at the most only 10% actual Sci-Fi. Hell, even when they have an award winning Sci-Fi show such as BSG, they still manage to chase away viewers by putting on still more non-Sci-Fi crap, instead of seeing the light and taking advantage of that particular audience.

I agree with that. But will a mere name change suddenly change the fortunes of the network? There's so much emphasis on "branding" these days. Philip Morris becomes Altria (a name as bland as focus-group studies could make it) in the hopes that people would forget that they make a product that kills its customers. INHD becomes MOJO in the hopes of drawing a bigger slice of that coveted young male demographic. There are countless other examples. But if the SciFi/Beyond channel rejects any quality, adult programing (I understand they still haven't given a green light to 'Caprica' in spite of heaping praise on the pilot) in favor of more mindless fluff, then will they really be able to expand their audience? Will it really matter?
post #43 of 355 Old 09-25-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe they can change their name to the 'Sci-Fi Almost Never Channel'.

post #44 of 355 Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Or maybe: "Science Not Always Fiction Universal" SNAFU just seems to be fitting for this network.

Bill
post #45 of 355 Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

They had to change their name. After Galactica, they’ll be guilty of impersonating a decent idea for a channel.

Best thing they did was give it up in hopes it may come back with people who are dedicated and believe in the vision.
post #46 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Upfronts 2009: Sci Fi Channel Goes Syfy

NBC Universal-owned cable channel rebrands with tagline "Imagine Greater" in effort to broaden programming profile

By Joel Topcik -- Broadcasting & Cable, 3/16/2009 7:45:14 AM MT

Upfronts 2009: Complete Coverage from B&C

Sci Fi Channel announced Monday that it will rebrand itself as Syfy in an effort to broaden its programming profile beyond science fiction while retaining—phonetically, at least—its sci-fi roots.

The announcement comes on the day of the NBC Universal-owned cable channel's upfront presentation to advertisers, where executives will discuss the planned rebrand, which includes the new tagline "Imagine Greater." The channel, which reaches some 95 million households, has long strived to show its range with "imagination-based entertainment" that includes paranormal series like Ghost Hunters and supernatural shows like Eureka, as well as traditional sci-fi series like Battlestar Galactica.

"Without abandoning our legacy or our core audience, we needed to cultivate a distinct point of view with a name that we could own that invites more people in and recognizes our broader range of programming with literally something for everyone," said Sci Fi president David Howe in a statement. "Syfy allows us to build on our 16-year heritage of success with a new brand built on the power that fuels our genre: the imagination. Syfy ushers in a new era of unlimited imagination, exceptional experiences and greater entertainment that paves the way for us to truly become a global lifestyle brand."

The rebrand is set for July, when it will launch in tandem with the premiere of new scripted series Warehouse 13 on both the linear channel and scifi.com.

The network explained that the rebrand also enables it to trademark the name Syfy and leverage the brand through extensions like Syfy Games, Syfy Films and Syfy Kids. However, the network will not change the name of its standalone news forum, Sci Fi Wire.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art..._Goes_Syfy.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #47 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
hmm, I don't know, it sounds lame still lol.

Joe.T
post #48 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Wow, if ever we had a clear indication that this channel has lost it's way, they just handed one to us.

So, they are going to spend who knows how many millions to change their name but not actually change their name. Spoken out loud, you are saying the same thing. So, if someone was weirded out by watching something on SciFi, it's not going to help to tell them that it's on SyFy.

In reality, it's just a way to allow themselves to get even further off topic while keeping the same name so as to try to not drive away their current viewers. Well, too bad for them it's programming that speaks volumes rather than names. After the BSG series finale, I'm going to have little reason to ever tune into ScifiSyFy again unless they get their heads out of their asses and offer something worthwhile to watch.
post #49 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The words syfy just looks stupid, like gibberish.

What a waste of a lot of dollars.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #50 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I love it. One less letter means one less letter in their obnoxious bug.

Of course, maybe they'll just make it bigger or animate it more or make the planet thingy even bigger and more annoying.

Thank God BSG is almost over, then I won't have to put up with that crappy channel any more. Well, until that Stargate Spinoff starts. I kindof hope it sucks just so I don't have to watch Sci-Fi (sorry...SyFy) anymore.
post #51 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well they've been giving sci-fi fans the finger for years. This just codifies it.

Pro wrestling.
Faux 'reality' shows.
Ghost hunting clap trap.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #52 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:

It's unfortunate that it's illegal to import channels from outside of the USA, like Space, or even the BBC or ITV. My first viewing of shows like the new Dr.Who, Charlie Jade, LEXX, Codename Eternity, Primeval, Torchwood, etc came from BetaMax tapes. (full length, uncut, with credits)

Newbie here, but for awhile I remember Cablevision was importing Much Music, before they launched Fuse. Wondering if now that SciFi has changed focus, if something similar can be done? SpaceUSA?
post #53 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, they should have went with Beyond. Syfy is the dumbest name I've heard since Wii.
post #54 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

And the UGLIEST TV Network logo of 2009 goes to...

And the DUMBEST TV network name change of 2009 goes to...

SCIFI (I REFUSE to refer to that network by the new name) With a name like that, even "Imagine Greater TV" would be a better name!! I hate this trend of making up new words that mean nothing(Google, Twitter, Wii).

How sad.
post #55 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

Wow, they should have went with Beyond. Syfy is the dumbest name I've heard since Wii.

Since the target audience is 12 these days, the kids probably like it.

I read it as Siffy. So that's screwed up too

post #56 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Upfronts 2009: Sci Fi Channel Goes Syfy

NBC Universal-owned cable channel rebrands with tagline "Imagine Greater" in effort to broaden programming profile

By Joel Topcik -- Broadcasting & Cable, 3/16/2009 7:45:14 AM MT

Upfronts 2009: Complete Coverage from B&C

Sci Fi Channel announced Monday that it will rebrand itself as Syfy in an effort to broaden its programming profile beyond science fiction while retainingphonetically, at leastits sci-fi roots.

The announcement comes on the day of the NBC Universal-owned cable channel's upfront presentation to advertisers, where executives will discuss the planned rebrand, which includes the new tagline "Imagine Greater." The channel, which reaches some 95 million households, has long strived to show its range with "imagination-based entertainment" that includes paranormal series like Ghost Hunters and supernatural shows like Eureka, as well as traditional sci-fi series like Battlestar Galactica.

"Without abandoning our legacy or our core audience, we needed to cultivate a distinct point of view with a name that we could own that invites more people in and recognizes our broader range of programming with literally something for everyone," said Sci Fi president David Howe in a statement. "Syfy allows us to build on our 16-year heritage of success with a new brand built on the power that fuels our genre: the imagination. Syfy ushers in a new era of unlimited imagination, exceptional experiences and greater entertainment that paves the way for us to truly become a global lifestyle brand."

The rebrand is set for July, when it will launch in tandem with the premiere of new scripted series Warehouse 13 on both the linear channel and scifi.com.

The network explained that the rebrand also enables it to trademark the name Syfy and leverage the brand through extensions like Syfy Games, Syfy Films and Syfy Kids. However, the network will not change the name of its standalone news forum, Sci Fi Wire.

What?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #57 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 04:36 PM

The WWE is so weird that I consider it science fiction. It's a strange alternate universe where bodybuilders pretend to have feuds and then have fights with predetermined outcomes.
post #58 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayC View Post

The WWE is so weird that I consider it science fiction.

Bjork is weird too but that doesn't make her science fiction.

post #59 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 04:43 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

i had to make sure it wasn't April Fools Day.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #60 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
New name and Logo:

STYNKS !

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page