'Syfy' HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Bjork is weird too but that doesn't make her science fiction.

I love Bjork. Unique in spades.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If they had a sense of humor or the least bit of self-awareness, they'd just change the name to "Skiffy". It's what we all call it anyway, and they would at least look like they're in on the joke.
loco is offline  
post #63 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dad1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 36,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 199
From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread at the top of the 'HDTV Programming' Page:

TV Notes
Viewers ridicule Sci Fi's name change
From James Hibberd's Hollywood Reporter 'Live Feed' Blog - March 16, 2009

NBC Universal's decision to jettison the Sci Fi Channel brand was met with an outpouring of fanboy ridicule Monday, as viewers took to Twitter and message boards to register their disdain for the new Syfy label.

The Internet has been crackling with indignation since the release hit the wires at around 9 a.m. Monday morning that the 16-year-old cable network will change its name in July. Comments on Twitter have ranged from slangy incredulity (WTF? What kind of stuff are you marketroids at Sci Fi smoking?) to hyperbole (Syfy makes me vomit tears).

On AintItCoolNews, fans were merciless, with many saying the name sounded like a lot of things -- except a sci-fi-themed cable network.

"Sounds like the name of a water bottling company," wrote one.

"Sounds like some kind of mop, blender, or gossip magazine," wrote another.

And this was the most frequent negative interpretation: "Sounds like slang for syphilis," a viewer wrote, with fans agreeing "siffy" seems a more appropriate pronunciation for the network's new name than "sci fi."

Even on Sci Fi's own boards, comments were overwhelmingly negative. "Just change the name to USA2 and be done with it already," one wrote.

Even some media got in on the action: "What the frak are they thinking?" asked Wired. "Dumbest rebranding ever," declared Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

According to the online Twendz application, which analyzes the sentiments informing active Twitter conversations, 46 percent of the tweets related to the Sci Fi rebrand were negative, while just 14 percent were supportive.

With the network's biggest buzz-magnet "Battlestar Galactica" airing its series finale this week, plenty of fans swore they'd cease watching the network after the show concludes. One Twitter user posed what could well be the $64,000 question for the channel's brass: Now that BSG [Battlestar Galactica] is off the air, is anyone going to watch Sci Fi/syfy?

The network was prepared for a certain amount of ribbing about the name. "Our core audience will use it an opportunity to question our motives," said network president Dave Howe on Friday, "they always do."

But it's the kind of backlash Sci Fi doesn't exactly need right now. While most basic cable networks have seen their ratings growing year over year, Sci Fi has flatlined among adults 18-49, swinging between a 0.4 and a 0.5 quarterly average for the past three years.

By Anthony Crupi and James Hibberd.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/03/viewe...me-change.html
dad1153 is offline  
post #64 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
URFloorMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 3,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
People always complain about change. No one refuses to watch a television show just because it's on a network with a stupid name.
URFloorMatt is offline  
post #65 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

I hate this trend of making up new words that mean nothing(Google, Twitter, Wii).

Kinda like kids names these days. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I read it as Siffy. So that's screwed up too

Too close to stiffy.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!


My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #66 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

They've had exactly one great series: the remake of 'Battlestar Galactica'. We're all in agreement there, are we not?

No, I'm not in agreement, in that I think they have had more than one great series. I think the two Stargate series were great, and I've been very thankful for them rerunning Doctor Who ahead of BBCA. I never watched Farscape, but I know those who did were pretty rabid for it, so I assume it was good, too.

The Lost Room was a pilot for a potential series. I wish they had made a series from it, but I suppose it would have been a little too much like Friday the 13th.
vfxproducer is online now  
post #67 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

No, I'm not in agreement, in that I think they have had more than one great series. I think the two Stargate series were great, and I've been very thankful for them rerunning Doctor Who ahead of BBCA. I never watched Farscape, but I know those who did were pretty rabid for it, so I assume it was good, too.

The Lost Room was a pilot for a potential series. I wish they had made a series from it, but I suppose it would have been a little too much like Friday the 13th.

I've liked several series on SciFi, I even liked Painkiller Jane, I like Eureka(where is it and what is the hold up on it). Liked both Stargates, looking forward to the new one, The Lost Room was a good mini series, I also liked Tin Man. I watched Farscape, loved it. It took me a while to get into BSG, it's a pretty good show, but I wasn't enamored by it to start with. I also like Sanctuary, it had to grow on me, but I liked it fairly well after about 4 or 5 episodes.

Worst things I've seen are Flash Gordon and those cheesy first run movies they run on Saturday and Sunday nights, a few of them have been nearly acceptable, but the ones with super cheap creatures are pretty bad.

Like one of the comments in the article, they might as well name it USA2, I really hate the thoughts of them going for more mainstream stuff, I really don't want to lose our only scifi/supernatural channel.
rebkell is offline  
post #68 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Worst things I've seen are Flash Gordon and those cheesy first run movies they run on Saturday and Sunday nights, a few of them have been nearly acceptable, but the ones with super cheap creatures are pretty bad.

Like one of the comments in the article, they might as well name it USA2, I really hate the thoughts of them going for more mainstream stuff, I really don't want to lose our only scifi/supernatural channel.

If you want to list the "Worst Things on Sci-Fi Channel" the list would be longer than just Flash Gordon. Pretty much every new addition to the channel is worse than the last. Look no further than the barrel scraping of things like Ch$se or the upcoming video game show.

The networks have programmed more SF than Sci-Fi channel have over the past few years. In fact you could probably find more SF and fantasy based programming on any other network other than Sci-Fi.

Naming it USA2 would be a huge insult to USA. The programming quality and strategy of USA is so far ahead of current Sci-Fi level of operation that Sci-Fi channel may as well be an internet video blog in comparison. Especially in their use of HD.


VisionOn is offline  
post #69 of 355 Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
atyclb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
should have gone with syzygy
atyclb is offline  
post #70 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 96
You know, now that I think of it, I can't even tell you a single show that's on Sci-Fi aside from Friday night. And that's been true ever since I started watching Sci-Fi, when they took over Stargate SG-1 from Showtime. I've never known what's on Sat - Thurs, aside from those dreadful 'Mansquito'-type movies. That's some awful network marketing, if you ask me. I don't watch a single show on ABC, but I bet I could list their top 10 shows. I can't see how changing the spelling of the network name is going to improve their branding, if I can't even think of anything worth watching 6 days a week.

They might as well call their network the Prince symbol, for all I care.
vfxproducer is online now  
post #71 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I've liked several series on SciFi, I even liked Painkiller Jane, I like Eureka(where is it and what is the hold up on it). Liked both Stargates, looking forward to the new one, The Lost Room was a good mini series, I also liked Tin Man. I watched Farscape, loved it. It took me a while to get into BSG, it's a pretty good show, but I wasn't enamored by it to start with. I also like Sanctuary, it had to grow on me, but I liked it fairly well after about 4 or 5 episodes.

Worst things I've seen are Flash Gordon and those cheesy first run movies they run on Saturday and Sunday nights, a few of them have been nearly acceptable, but the ones with super cheap creatures are pretty bad.

Like one of the comments in the article, they might as well name it USA2, I really hate the thoughts of them going for more mainstream stuff, I really don't want to lose our only scifi/supernatural channel.


I liked the series that took place at a tabloid that investigated wierd things, I canot remember the name but it was a pretty good series that only lasted one or two seasons.

Argee
Argee is online now  
post #72 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

You know, now that I think of it, I can't even tell you a single show that's on Sci-Fi aside from Friday night. And that's been true ever since I started watching Sci-Fi, when they took over Stargate SG-1 from Showtime. I've never known what's on Sat - Thurs, aside from those dreadful 'Mansquito'-type movies. That's some awful network marketing, if you ask me. I don't watch a single show on ABC, but I bet I could list their top 10 shows. I can't see how changing the spelling of the network name is going to improve their branding, if I can't even think of anything worth watching 6 days a week.

They might as well call their network the Prince symbol, for all I care.

You never heare of EUREKA?

Argee
Argee is online now  
post #73 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Member
 
DustoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rockland, WI
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

People always complain about change. No one refuses to watch a television show just because it's on a network with a stupid name.

This is true... just look at Facebook users. However, I think fans of Science Fiction feel ignored by a network called SciFi which by definition should show programming they would want to see. Changing the name to help branch out into other genres is the straw that broke the camels back.
DustoMan is offline  
post #74 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well, this change is just about stupid. All involved are worthless.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is offline  
post #75 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
SighFi
CPanther95 is offline  
post #76 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 AM
 
GrouchoDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

...I don't watch a single show on ABC, but I bet I could list their top 10 shows.

You know LOST is on ABC, right?
GrouchoDude is offline  
post #77 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

I liked the series that took place at a tabloid that investigated wierd things, I canot remember the name but it was a pretty good series that only lasted one or two seasons.

Yeah, that was a good series, it was The Chronicle it had Rena Sofer in it, she plays Nathan Petrelli's wife on Heroes. I just remembered another one I liked, 'The Invisible Man'., with Vincent Ventresca and Paul Ben-Victor.
rebkell is offline  
post #78 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
SeijiSensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb View Post

should have gone with syzygy

Or perhaps xyzzy
SeijiSensei is offline  
post #79 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dmon4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just about 2 years ago they had so many shows that they opened up Sundays with 2 (Dresden Files was one of those), had 3 on Fridays, and 2 on Wednesdays. But now, Sunday disappeared, Friday is somewhat lucky to have 1 and Wednesday 1 during any part of the year.

.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Dmon4u is offline  
post #80 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

You never heare of EUREKA?

Heard of it, saw a few episodes the first season, but can't tell you if it is still on the air or long since cancelled.
vfxproducer is online now  
post #81 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

You know LOST is on ABC, right?

Exactly my point... I know it' on ABC Wednesday nights even though I don't watch it. It's not my cup of tea, but at least I am aware of it's large fan base and perceived high quality production values.

On the other hand, I can't tell you one single show that airs on the same night on Sci-fi.

They have WAY bigger marketing problems than the name of the network. They need to stop changing letterhead, and start changing programming management.
vfxproducer is online now  
post #82 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
They should just bite the bullet and call it PsyFri since they are fast becoming the Psychic Friends Network.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #83 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Heard of it, saw a few episodes the first season, but can't tell you if it is still on the air or long since cancelled.

Eureka is still on, but it's hard to tell, as far as I know it's the top rated scripted show on SciFi and it just got abruptly stopped after 8 episodes last fall and actually got a 21 episode order, and the remaining 13 were supposed to air in the winter, now it's been bumped up til the summer and that word was just received yesterday. Their marketing and lack of original scripted programming is getting much worse, everybody is looking for the quick buck.

As far as my viewing habits go, there is nothing on SciFi, with the exception of Eureka(when and if it shows) other than Friday nights and after this Friday, there won't really be anything on SciFi that I even care about until Eureka, and possibly the new series Warehouse 13 shows up in the summer sometime. Looking forward to the new Caprica series and the new Stargate Universe.
rebkell is offline  
post #84 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

They should just bite the bullet and call it PsyFri since they are fast becoming the Psychic Friends Network.

Wouldn't that be the name of it if they broadcast in Asia Pacific?

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/s..._into_kids.php

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!


My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #85 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 12:59 PM
 
D-I-G-I-T-A-L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WWE is great, I love watching WWE's own Christan on there.

Anyways all Sci-Fi is a bunch of Stargate clones, and Battlestar Remake.
D-I-G-I-T-A-L is offline  
post #86 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Joe3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Imagine an Opera channel or classical music channel.

Now imagine that those channels are run by people who know nothing about Opera or classical music.

This is what has happen to the Sci-Fi channel. It was never as smart as its audience.

The only good thing here is that it holds the possibility of a true science fiction channel were else but in the future.
Joe3 is offline  
post #87 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N5XZS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very sad to see this dumb name change, I just wish they stick this classic name wil be Sci Fi channel for all time.....

BTW, Has anyone why they have not created a all Star Trek channel, they been talking about it for years.....

3-17-09

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
N5XZS is offline  
post #88 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Now that they've abandoned the Sci-Fi name and ended the charade about what type of programming they air, how about some other upper and comer take the Sci-Fi name or perhaps the Science Fiction Channel. (yes I know those are big words for a channel name for the average tv viewer - at least that's what most marketers think)
Doctor is offline  
post #89 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Eureka is still on, but it's hard to tell, as far as I know it's the top rated scripted show on SciFi and it just got abruptly stopped after 8 episodes last fall and actually got a 21 episode order, and the remaining 13 were supposed to air in the winter, now it's been bumped up til the summer and that word was just received yesterday. Their marketing and lack of original scripted programming is getting much worse, everybody is looking for the quick buck.

As far as my viewing habits go, there is nothing on SciFi, with the exception of Eureka(when and if it shows) other than Friday nights and after this Friday, there won't really be anything on SciFi that I even care about until Eureka, and possibly the new series Warehouse 13 shows up in the summer sometime. Looking forward to the new Caprica series and the new Stargate Universe.

Sanctuary will be back soon and they do have a few more shows in production or planning.

Argee
Argee is online now  
post #90 of 355 Old 03-17-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How many cable networks have new original programming every night of the week?

I think people are holding SciFi (SyFy) to a higher standard in original programming than they do other cable nets.

Argee
Argee is online now  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off