post #241 of 355 Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Syfy is one of the main reasons I would like a la carte. Then I could happily remove it from my tier and tell them exactly why.

and at one time it was a must-have channel for me...long ago in a galaxy far away

those days are also gone for me too.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 355 Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

No

5 more reality shows = 5 more reasons to watch something else.

This channel is a joke. Not even a word on another season of Sanctuary or when Haven will resume?

It's too late for rebranding...the people running this network clearly have made their decisions regarding decent, hard SF.

I happened to see the last episode of Sanctuary and it seemed as if it was a series finale to me.

Haven will probably return in mid-July as that's the start period for the first 2 seasons.
post #243 of 355 Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Topic title edited.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #244 of 355 Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
There's always Warehouse 13...
post #245 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Haven is in production and will return in the summer. The news release missed the ten or so series that are in development and the fact that the last quarter drew the highest ratings in the channels history. You may not like the programing but the network runners are doing their job.

SCRIPTED DEVELOPMENT/DRAMAS

Rewind – Rewind revolves around a team of military field operatives and civilian scientists who must use untested technology to travel back in time to alter events and change the future -- and avoid a devastating terrorist attack. Shane McRae stars as Sean Knox, ex-Special Forces who ranks as a field operative in a special division of the Department of Homeland Security. The pilot also stars Jennifer Ferrin, Academy Award nominee Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider), Robbie Jones and Keon Mohajeri, and is currently in production in Toronto. Jack Bender (Lost, Alphas) is directing the pilot, written by Justin Marks (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li), who will also executive produce with Tom Spezialy, Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein. A production of BermanBraun and Universal Cable Productions.

The Adjustment Bureau – In this drama, based on the hit movie starring Matt Damon, guardian angel-type agents work to keep the world according to The Plan. They create everything from plane crashes to coffee spills in order to steer people to realize their true destiny. But there is one thing the operatives and their Chairman can’t control -- free will. Writers: Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer (Melrose Place, Smallville). Executive producers: George Nolfi (The Adjustment Bureau, The Bourne Ultimatum), MRC, Slavkin and Swimmer. A production of Universal Cable Productions.

High Moon – Based on the novel, The Lotus Caves, by John Christopher, this imaginative, out-of-this-World Series explores a world where the countries of Earth have established colonies to mine the Moon's resources. When a new life form is discovered, chaos erupts as various factions race to uncover its powerful secrets. Executive producer: Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies). Co-executive producer: Jim Danger Gray (Pushing Daisies). Writers: Bryan Fuller and Jim Danger Gray. Executive producer: Granat Entertainment. A production of Universal Cable Productions.

Untitled Booster Gold Project – Based on the best-selling DC Entertainment Comic, this is the story of a washed-up athlete from the future who travels back to the present in hopes of becoming the greatest superhero of all time. But instead of chasing criminals, his main priority is chasing fame and money. Booster Gold discovers that being a hero takes more than just a megawatt smile. Writer: Andrew Kreisberg (Arrow, Warehouse 13). Executive producers: Greg Berlanti (Green Lantern, Arrow) and Andrew Kreisberg. Producers: Greg Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Horizon Television. The Booster Gold comic book series is published by DC Entertainment, which will also act as an executive producer.

Grave Sight – From the best-selling author of True Blood, this Charlaine Harris book series follows Harper Connelly – a young woman with a unique gift. After being struck by lightning as a teenager, Harper can sense the location and last memories of dead people. She teams up with her protective stepbrother, Tolliver Lang, to help find a missing teenage girl -- only to uncover a network of lies and murders throughout a small town in the Ozarks. Writer: Kam Miller (Law And Order: SVU). A production of Universal Cable Productions.

Seeing Things – Based on the comic Grey Legion from Platinum Studios, after a cop meets his violent demise, he returns as a ghost to close his last case. But the only person who can help him is a socially Awkward man who is realizing for the first time that his hallucinations may not be all in his head. Writers: David Slack (Person Of Interest, Lie To Me) and Gabrielle Stanton (Haven, The Vampire Diaries). Executive producers: David Slack, Robert Cort and Scott Mitchell Rosenberg. A production of Fox Television Studios.

Defender – In the aftermath of an intergalactic war between humans and transhumans, the starship Defender, populated by a combustible mix of former enemies, is sent on a seemingly simple goodwill mission, which turns into a fight for their lives and for the safety of the Universe at large. Executive producer/writer: Robert Hewitt Wolfe (Alphas). A production of Universal Cable Productions.

The Family – For generations, an alien family has hid amongst humans in plain sight using their advanced intellect to carve out a life for themselves as their family grew. But when the family patriarch that kept peace amongst the factions dies, a war begins to brew with some members believing the time has come to reveal themselves, and their superior power, to the inferior human race. Writer: Dan Harris (Superman Returns, X2). Executive producers: Neal Moritz (21 Jump Street, Total Recall), Mark Verheiden (Falling Skies, Battlestar Galactica). A production of Sony Pictures TV.

LONGFORM SCRIPTED DEVELOPMENT

Eyes Of The Dragon – Based on Stephen King’s best-selling novel. A kingdom is in turmoil as the old king dies and his successor must battle for the throne. Pitted against an evil wizard and a would-be rival, Prince Peter makes a daring escape and rallies the forces of good to fight for what is rightfully his. Writers: Michael Taylor (Defiance, Battlestar Galactica) and Jeff Vintar (I, Robot). Executive producers: Michael Taylor and Bill Haber. A production of Universal Cable Productions and Ostar Productions.

Darkfall – When, without warning, modern forms of power and technology become a thing of the past, Los Angeles, and the world at large, becomes a place where magic rules and life as we know it is turned upside down. Writers: Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris (Kung Fu Panda, Sleeper Cell). A production of The Jim Henson Company and Universal Cable Productions.

– When a powerful earthquake hits California and opens up a chasm bigger than the Grand Canyon, it reveals an enormous hidden ocean lying deep beneath the earth’s crust. Billionaire adventurer James Exeter works with the government to take an advanced nuclear submarine down to explore it and discovers more than he ever could have imagined. Writers: Skip Woods (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), Naren Shankar (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation) and Deran Sarafian (CSI: NY). Executive producers: Skip Woods, Naren Shankar and Deran Sarafian. A production of Universal Cable Productions.

Argee
post #246 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

There's always Warehouse 13...

... and the latest/greatest Asylum film "Nazis at the Center of the Earth" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2130142/

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #247 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I've totally given up on this worthless channel. I refuse to start watching any new series they come up with. Once Haven and W13 end their runs (Eureka is ending now) I will watch nothing on the channel.

Quote:

when Haven will resume?

Started season 3 production a week or two ago according to Emily Rose on Twitter.

Scott
post #248 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

I've totally given up on this worthless channel. I refuse to start watching any new series they come up with. Once Haven and W13 end their runs (Eureka is ending now) I will watch nothing on the channel.

No offense meant, but if you enjoy those two shows, most likely you'll enjoy one or two of the scripted shows they put on next.

post #249 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

No offense meant, but if you enjoy those two shows, most likely you'll enjoy one or two of the scripted shows they put on next.

Understood. I just don't trust SyFy anymore and I don't want to support their efforts in just creating another reality TV and wrassling channel. If any of their new series actually don't get cancelled and looks good I'll just get it via Netflix or Hulu. Although that still "supports" them, it's supports them less.

Scott
post #250 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 542
There are a couple in there that look vaguely interesting, but they'll probably just turn out to be more cheap "bubble-gum" sci-fi-lite. If BSG: Blood & Chrome were on that list, it'd be a different story.
post #251 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

There are a couple in there that look vaguely interesting, but they'll probably just turn out to be more cheap "bubble-gum" sci-fi-lite. If BSG: Blood & Chrome were on that list, it'd be a different story.

+1. I only see 2 with possible potential, High Moon & maybe the Adjustment Bureau.

the rest meh, more of the same rehashed comic book stuff they've tried before & each one gets cancelled

And Rewind...didn't we just do Terra Nova?

The Calif earthquake themed one...sounds like a hybrid of Sat night cheese disaster flicks, a remake of Voyage to the Bottom of Sea & Seaquest all in one!

If High Moon is decent then 1 out of that list may be worthwhile as hard or any kind of SF.

If only BSG B&C were on that list, or a decent wrap-up of SG-U. Anything but more poorly done fantasy-supernatural stuff (sigh)

Steve
post #252 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

DEFENDER has the most promise for me. Wolfe wrote some of the better Deep Space Nine episodes and his series ANDROMEDA had its moments as well.

Argee
post #253 of 355 Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

And of course DEFIANCE which is an exciting first step in blending a TV show with an MMORPG. Whether it works or not is one thing but its the kind of thing a channel like Syfy should be trying, perhaps something groundbreaking

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04...diu/#continued

Argee
post #254 of 355 Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

DEFENDER has the most promise for me. Wolfe wrote some of the better Deep Space Nine episodes and his series ANDROMEDA had its moments as well.

I'll add that to my list of potentials...that makes 3 for me

Steve
post #255 of 355 Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

And of course DEFIANCE which is an exciting first step in blending a TV show with an MMORPG. Whether it works or not is one thing but its the kind of thing a channel like Syfy should be trying, perhaps something groundbreaking

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04...diu/#continued

NBC / syfy will find a way to F* in it.

Likely with a long gap in the middle or by moving it around like they did with TOP shows they used to have on Friday nights that they moved to a other night putting them head to head with other good shows on other networks. DVR use is high for some SYFY shows.
post #256 of 355 Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
No word on Sanctuary?

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #257 of 355 Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll add that to my list of potentials...that makes 3 for me

Remember, most of these scripted shows will not make it to air. Even their GALACTICA CHROME series was dropped.

post #258 of 355 Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

^^

With the way things are going at the new SyFy, it wouldn't surprise me if only ones we get to see are the Terra Nova clone and a comic fantasy. We'll be lucky if the space themed ones ever see the light of day

Steve
post #259 of 355 Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^
We'll probably only see the Terra Nova clone and one of the comic fantasies

With the way things are going at the new SyFy, it wouldn't surprise me if the ones with space themes aren't green lighted.

If they involve a lot of space-based vfx, they won't be. SyFy has adopted NASA's new directive: "Faster... cheaper... and oh, what's the use?"
post #260 of 355 Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

If they involve a lot of space-based vfx, they won't be. SyFy has adopted NASA's new directive: "Faster... cheaper... and oh, what's the use?"

These sort of shows shouldn't even be going to a channel like Syfy. If they are any good (particularly from the writing standpoint), they should be via HBO, Showtime, even FX! Anything but SyFy. If it's just another "formula" show like W13 or BEING HUMAN, however, then SyFy is perfect.

post #261 of 355 Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

These sort of shows shouldn't even be going to a channel like Syfy. If they are any good (particularly from the writing standpoint), they should be via HBO, Showtime, even FX! Anything but SyFy. If it's just another "formula" show like W13 or BEING HUMAN, however, then SyFy is perfect.

What next, The Jeffery Dahmer Story on Comedy Central.
post #262 of 355 Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

And Rewind...didn't we just do Terra Nova?

Actually, it sounds like the premise of "7 Days", which was on the now defunct UPN network. I actually liked that show.
post #263 of 355 Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

What next, The Jeffery Dahmer Story on Comedy Central.

"Does this guy taste funny to you...?"
post #264 of 355 Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The new Syfy channel. There is no intelligent life here.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #265 of 355 Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Actually, it sounds like the premise of "7 Days", which was on the now defunct UPN network. I actually liked that show.

This one is already shooting. It looks to have some pretty good production value. Not like the cheesy Saturday night movies. I've only seen some photos sneaked from some location shooting, so I can't comment about whether the story or acting looks any good.
post #266 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
They should have stuck with the 17th Precinct. That would have been an awesome show.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #267 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They could have had a winner if they had gone to series with 'The Lost Room'. Instead, they watered down what was an intriguing premise to "sci-fi-lite" and re-packaged it as 'Warehouse 13'.
post #268 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Warehouse 13 draws better numbers than MAD MEN.

Argee
post #269 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Warehouse 13 draws better numbers than MAD MEN.

Not surprising. So does 'Jersey Shore'.
post #270 of 355 Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 101
The Lost Room was excellent. I was disappointed they didn't do anything else with it. Haven, Eureka, and Warehouse 13 are the only shows I watch on this channel now.

IMO, Haven is awesome, Eureka is tons of fun, and Warehouse 13 is just OK.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page