'The Simpsons' in HDTV on FOX! - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 316 Old 12-10-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

You've got to be kidding. IMO (and almost everyone elses) it's pretty horrible now. I still watch it sometimes just b/c I've been watching it since it started. but it should have been put out of it's misery like 10 seasons ago.
Hmmmm, has it occurred to you the change in quality may be have happened on the other side of the screen?wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

Indeed, she should disappear, and Flanders should say she was raptured since he wouldn't
be able to admit that she left him. smile.gif
I like your idea....cool.gif

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 316 Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Hmmmm, has it occurred to you the change in quality may be have happened on the other side of the screen?wink.gif
You're right, I've gotten worse. The Simpsons is as good as ever. I can't get enough of the weekly celebrity voice of the week they do now. Screw substance, we've got the whole Kardasian litter guest voicing this week!!!!!
post #273 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can't get enough of the weekly celebrity voice of the week they do now.
That is what bothers you?eek.gif

post #274 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Should that be an insult to the voice actors? celebrities only be themselves, read some lines and not acting and get paid for it.....

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #275 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Animated movies these days (which are usually kids movies) are hiring film actors to voice the characters, most of whom simply do their normal voice. In interviews, the actors say they did the film because their kids will watch it and think its cool that mommy/daddy's voice is their favorite character.

Some of these actors are quite good at doing the voice acting, but others fail miserably, and in the end it basically amounts to stunt-casting.

Meanwhile, actual voice actors are losing those parts to the film actors who probably didn't need the role anyway.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #276 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Yeah I can't remember that last animated movie where the voice actors were actually voice actors and not a Hollywood star

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #277 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

You've got to be kidding. IMO (and almost everyone elses) it's pretty horrible now. I still watch it sometimes just b/c I've been watching it since it started. but it should have been put out of it's misery like 10 seasons ago.

I was going to ask what the quality of this show was like now but that confirms my suspicions. I gave up after season 8, which scares me how long ago that was now. Too bad because seasons 4 - 7 were really good.
post #278 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

I was going to ask what the quality of this show was like now but that confirms my suspicions. I gave up after season 8, which scares me how long ago that was now. Too bad because seasons 4 - 7 were really good.

Season 8 was still in the show's golden era. You gave up two seasons too soon.

post #279 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is what bothers you?eek.gif
Well that's one thing. That and the fact that it's not funny. That's another thing. I still watch for some sick reason thinking maybe it can get better because it can't get worse. But it always does. It always does get worse.
post #280 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

Season 8 was still in the show's golden era. You gave up two seasons too soon.
You gave up two seasons too soon. The Simpsons was still going strong all the way up to Season 12. I feel like Season 13 was when they started running out of steam, but I was a faithful watcher all the way until about season 17 or so. Periodically until around season 22, and then only one or two episodes here or there since then. Strangely, I've seen the Lady Gaga episode twice...

Obviously opinion based, but Season 6 to me is unquestioningly the best of the bunch.

I watched every episode from season 1-13 when I was a Freshman in college... that was a great year. Simpsons every day!

post #281 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

You gave up two seasons too soon. The Simpsons was still going strong all the way up to Season 12.

I don't think I did. Season 11 was the first noticeable decline in quality that I witnessed. It never really returns to it's former glory after that. But hey, that's the thing about opinions, everyone's got one.

And AVS notifies you when you're quoted now, eh? I like it.

post #282 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And AVS notifies you when you're quoted now, eh? I like it.

Yeah, it's nice but bugged me the first time it happened. Especially since I edited that post twice!

post #283 of 316 Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think what you guys are talking about is when The Simpsons no longer emphasized the 3 Stooges Style of Comedy and started to become more satirical, with more social commentary.

There came a point in time when Homer choking Bart no longer could be the punchline for 50% of the jokes.
This is when The Simpsons transcended ordinary television and became the one TV show that best reflected the trials and tribulations of America.

Either you get it or you don't.

post #284 of 316 Old 12-12-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think what you guys are talking about is when The Simpsons no longer emphasized the 3 Stooges Style of Comedy and started to become more satirical, with more social commentary.

There came a point in time when Homer choking Bart no longer could be the punchline for 50% of the jokes.
This is when The Simpsons transcended ordinary television and became the one TV show that best reflected the trials and tribulations of America.

Either you get it or you don't.

Ehh, no. The Simpsons in it's early days was one of the smartest comedy shows ever. It used to have heart and was not at all "3 Stooges," as you say. If anything, Homer's stupidity and slapstick only increased in recent seasons, especially from season 11 onwards. You want a cartoon that does satire and can still remain funny? Watch South Park.
squeakybirnbaum likes this.

post #285 of 316 Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ehh, no. The Simpsons in it's early days was one of the smartest comedy shows ever. It used to have heart and was not at all "3 Stooges," as you say. If anything, Homer's stupidity and slapstick only increased in recent seasons, especially from season 11 onwards. You want a cartoon that does satire and can still remain funny? Watch South Park.
I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree.....wink.gif

post #286 of 316 Old 12-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Exactly.
Quote:

I think you may be literally the only person I have ever seen that thinks the Simpsons is anywhere close to as good as it used to be waaaay back in the day, let alone better now.
post #287 of 316 Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure. But didn't you like Dexter's final season(s) also? biggrin.gif

post #288 of 316 Old 12-12-2013, 01:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think you may be literally the only person I have ever seen that thinks the Simpsons is anywhere close to as good as it used to be waaaay back in the day, let alone better now.
I have made a career out of not following the crowd....smile.gif

Quote:

Sure. But didn't you like Dexter's final season(s) also? biggrin.gif
Actually, I DID like the final season....I just didn't like Dexter's B.S. soft-landing fate.

post #289 of 316 Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to disagree as well. There was plenty of social commentary in the first dozen seasons, and some of the best episodes ever were the ones that dealt with those issues. "Marge vs the Monorail", a season 6 episode, is often handed out as the best episode of the series, and really was the first one to show us what being a Springfieldian was all about... their collective stupidity. In the early seasons, Homer was never the smartest guy in town, but he wasn't a completely stupid bumbling oaf; he was just a drunken guy who makes mistakes, largely due to his ignorance of the world. He's slowly become a 3-stooges caricature; that wasn't something he started as. The season 8 episode "Homer's Enemy" featuring Frank Grimes was the writer's answer to these criticisms, and is a great example of the show going dark comedy instead of laugh-out-loud caricature.

I pointed out that season 12 was my last favorite season, and that included such gems as "The Computer Wore Menace Shoes", a hilarious parody of The Prisoner; and "HOMR", a take on Flowers for Algernon, a touching episode where Homer gets closer to his daughter Lisa.
squeakybirnbaum likes this.

post #290 of 316 Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All I know is my DVR recorded the last ep, "Yellow Subterfuge", and really enjoyed it. Yes, it's not the "can't miss" show it was for me, but it still can delight from time to time.
post #291 of 316 Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Soon you can (legally) stream the Simpsons—but there’s a catch
By Jason Lynch / January 15, 2014 / qz.com

PASADENA, California — Throughout The Simpsons’ 24(!) seasons on the air, it has never been possible to stream FOX’s hit animated series online (legally, anyway), but that all changes—permanently—this summer.

Starting in August, all 530 episodes of The Simpsons’ will finally be available for US streaming via FXNOW, the just-launched VOD app for FX Networks (comprised of FX, FXM and upstart FXX). As Homer would say, “Woo hoo!”

FXNOW will also create a separate Simpsons-specific app which, FX Networks CEO John Landgraf said Tuesday Jan. 13, at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, will be “a comprehensive, beautifully-curated digital library of all things Simpsons.” While FX will announce more details about the Simpsons app closer to August, Landgraf shared some new specifics in an interview with Quartz.

The Simpsons content will be curated in a separate app, which Landgraf said will be “integrated with and linked through” the FXNOW app. The Simpsons app will contain a multitude of Simpsons clips as well as full episodes (all 530 episodes will be available at all times, not cycled through at various intervals), all of which will “be infinitely cross-referenced and sortable and searchable in various different ways,” Landgraf said.

But there’s a catch: the content will only be available via the app and FXNetworks.com to authenticated subscribers (like other streaming network apps, including HBO GO, Watch ABC and USA NOW). And right now, FXNOW only has deals with about 50% of television providers nationally, including AT&T U-verse, Cablevision, and Comcast. While Landgraf said additional agreements will be made this year, he was unable to estimate what percentage of subscribers will be covered by August.

In addition to the streaming rights, FX Networks shelled out as much as $1 billion in the Simpsons deal to give a shot in the arm to its fledgling FXX channel (rebranded from Fox Sports in September), which gets exclusive cable rights to The Simpsons in August. Landgraf admitted FXX was still searching for an its own identity apart from sibling FX, a process which could take “several years.”

The Simpsons deal reportedly stretches for a decade, by which time, Landgraf predicts, “a significant portion of the advertising revenue we earn at that point” will come from online and mobile revenue as opposed to television. “But it’s going to be a very long, bumpy road over the next 10 years to get from here to there.” Still, the journey is going to be a lot easier with Homer, Marge, Bart, Maggie and Lisa at the helm.

Jason was the former TV editor for People magazine. We welcome your comments at ideas@qz.com.

http://qz.com/167329/soon-you-can-legally-stream-the-simpsons-but-theres-a-catch/
post #292 of 316 Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Simpsons Marathon on FXX

FXX is having a 12 day marathon of every Simpsons ep made. Curious what your favorite ep is. I went to the web to try to record the best. I haven't watched it in about 15 years but remember loving the show. I am recording every Treehouse of Horror ep and every Sideshow Bob ep. One of my early favs was Itchy & Scratchy and Marge which I thought was brilliant how much they put in there in such a short ep. It hasn't made any of the lists I've seen which has me itching and scratching.
Young C likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #293 of 316 Old 08-21-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Curious what your favorite ep is.
That would probably have to be "Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?" Other, slightly lesser favorites in random order:

Homer at the Bat
Dancin' Homer
Homer the Great
King-Size Homer
Flaming Moe's
You Only Move Twice
'Round Springfield
Mr. Plow
22 Short Films About Springfield
Marge vs. the Monorail
Trash of the Titans
The Day the Violence Died
Colonel Homer
post #294 of 316 Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I enjoyed them when they were the "shorts" on Tracy Ulman's show.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #295 of 316 Old 08-22-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The marathon continues - in lovely stretch-o-vision. But no doubt HD is coming - in season 20.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #296 of 316 Old 08-22-2014, 07:46 PM

Liked: 10
Why is FXX airing the old episodes in cropped 16:9 and not in 4:3?
post #297 of 316 Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It's not even just cropped 16:9, it's cropped AND stretched.

The only thing in OAR is Itchy & Scratchy.
post #298 of 316 Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post

They did indeed make a mess of it.

I should just dust off my DVD sets of seasons 1-9 for my nostalgic fix. I can't stomach much of anything from this show beyond its ninth season.
post #299 of 316 Old 08-23-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 247
The first day of the Simpsons marathon gave FXX its best ratings ever

http://www.avclub.com/article/first-day ... ati-208470

It turns out that my favorite show was the top rated show watched on Thursday night.

"Now, we are talking about FXX, so its “most-watched day ever” still wouldn’t necessarily be a feather in the cap of another network, but its ratings were actually good enough to make it the fifth most-watched network overall during primetime on Thursday. As Variety points out, that put it ahead of regular FX, which actually aired new episodes of Married and You’re The Worst last night. New episodes, by the way, that happened to get lower ratings than a TV show that’s old enough to rent a car. The Simpsons’ big winner on Thursday—the individual episode that earned the highest ratings—was “Itchy & Scratchy & Marge,” the one where Springfield bands together to put an end to cartoon violence."

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #300 of 316 Old 08-23-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post

It seems that the credits are stretched and the rest is cropped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page