'The Simpsons' in HDTV on FOX! - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Crazy episodes! Brings back so many childhood memories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The old ones are so good.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post
It's not even just cropped 16:9, it's cropped AND stretched.

The only thing in OAR is Itchy & Scratchy.
They are airing them with full DD 5.1

but the cropping AND stretchering looks bad at times.

Last edited by Joe The Dragon; 08-23-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 132
[QUOTE=daryl zero;26810842]
. New episodes, by the way, that happened to get lower ratings than a TV show that’s old enough to rent a car. QUOTE]

That deserves repeating. Good one.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
[quote=lonwolf615;26853545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
. New episodes, by the way, that happened to get lower ratings than a TV show that’s old enough to rent a car. QUOTE]

That deserves repeating. Good one.
What's the year and name of the episode where Homer goes to this entrepreneur's big business in the wilderness and this guy wants Homer to work for him? I have about 75 episodes recorded but I'm not sure which one this is. The guy has this really deep voice and he's pretty cool.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 46
[quote=hunter65;26881801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post
What's the year and name of the episode where Homer goes to this entrepreneur's big business in the wilderness and this guy wants Homer to work for him? I have about 75 episodes recorded but I'm not sure which one this is. The guy has this really deep voice and he's pretty cool.
The guy is Albert Brooks- great comedian. I actually watched that ep, but I can't tell you the name, sorry.

You must have quite a lotta space on your DVR to house 75 episodes (I'm assuming you recorded in HD).
Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=JimWinVA;26883449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter65 View Post

The guy is Albert Brooks- great comedian. I actually watched that ep, but I can't tell you the name, sorry.

You must have quite a lotta space on your DVR to house 75 episodes (I'm assuming you recorded in HD).
I recorded on FXXHD. The shows must not be HD because I still have 65% left and I have got lots of other true HD programs recorded as well.

What was Albert Brooks' character on that show? It was a manly name if I recall correctly.

This is it:
―Hank Scorpio
"You Only Move Twice" is the second episode of Season 8 and aired on November 3, 1996. The episode was written by John Swartzwelder and directed by Mike B. Anderson. Albert Brooks guest stars as Hank Scorpio.

Last edited by hunter65; 08-25-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:23 AM

[quote=hunter65;26883785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

I recorded on FXXHD. The shows must not be HD because I still have 65% left and I have got lots of other true HD programs recorded as well.

What was Albert Brooks' character on that show? It was a manly name if I recall correctly.

This is it:
―Hank Scorpio
"You Only Move Twice" is the second episode of Season 8 and aired on November 3, 1996. The episode was written by John Swartzwelder and directed by Mike B. Anderson. Albert Brooks guest stars as Hank Scorpio.

I guess you found it.

You must have a much larger HDD on your DVR than I do; a 30 min. HD show takes up between 2-3% on the HDD of my Comcast DVR. And yes, those Simpson's ep's are in HD, though perhaps they don't use quite as much room since they're animation? Still, 75 of them plus lots of other HD shows and you've only used 35% of available space? Your HDD must be many times the size of mine. I envy you; I'm often having to delete something to have enough free space, esp. since I record my O's most every game (and add 1 1/2 hours to broadcast time in case of rain delay or extra innings), though they're never saved. I always watch them before the next game.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
though perhaps they don't use quite as much room since they're animation?
Assuming the provider is using a variable bitrate on their QAM channels, then, yes, animated shows compress down via MPEG compression very well. It's the main reason why the Simpsons looks so good in HD. (The episodes that were originally produced in HD, that is)

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmv123 View Post
Assuming the provider is using a variable bitrate on their QAM channels, then, yes, animated shows compress down via MPEG compression very well. It's the main reason why the Simpsons looks so good in HD. (The episodes that were originally produced in HD, that is)
Yes Directv is the provider. My DVR will hold 200 hours of HD. The model is the HR24-200.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Yes Directv is the provider. My DVR will hold 200 hours of HD. The model is the HR24-200.
Wow- that's impressive. Unfortunately, I'm stuck w/ Comcast, as it's provided by my Townhouse Assoc. I still pay for it in my dues, though we do get a discounted rate. I have to pay extra for HD service and DVR (including that ridiculous technology fee they just added on top for no good reason). I HATE that DVR- the worst AV component I've ever had.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I got a refresher of this show's post-Golden Age by watching a few Season 12 episodes. Absolutely dreadful. No heart, no charm, whacky nonsense that is somehow less funny than a loved one's funeral, and embarrassingly rudimentary social commentary.

That is all just my not so humble opinion, of course.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote=JimWinVA;26885353]
Quote:

I guess you found it.

You must have a much larger HDD on your DVR than I do; a 30 min. HD show takes up between 2-3% on the HDD of my Comcast DVR. And yes, those Simpson's ep's are in HD, though perhaps they don't use quite as much room since they're animation? Still, 75 of them plus lots of other HD shows and you've only used 35% of available space? Your HDD must be many times the size of mine. I envy you; I'm often having to delete something to have enough free space, esp. since I record my O's most every game (and add 1 1/2 hours to broadcast time in case of rain delay or extra innings), though they're never saved. I always watch them before the next game.
Comcast MEPG 2 directv / dish MPEG 4
Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 59
This has a been way to rematch the Treehouse of Horror episodes.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 59
MMMMM Simporama. I don't think laughed that much in a long time. That was brilliant.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 149
'Simpsons' Co-Creator, Sam Simon, Dies After Long Battle With Cancer

Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page).

TV Notes
‘The Simpsons’ Loses Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders, Principal Skinner as Harry Shearer Exits
By Debbie Emery, TheWrap.com - May 13, 2015

The voice actor behind “The Simpsons” characters Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders and Principal Skinner has announced that he is leaving the show.

Harry Shearer shared the news that he won’t return to the Fox animated classic on Wednesday night via Twitter.

“From James L. Brooks‘ lawyer: “show will go on, Harry will not be part of it, wish him the best,” he wrote, referring to “The Simpsons” producer, Brooks.

“This because I wanted what we’ve always had: the freedom to do other work. Of course, I wish him the very best."

He went on to thank fans for their support over the years.

Shearer, 71, has worked as an actor, comedian, writer, voice artist, musician, author, radio host and director over the course of his long career. He co-created, co-wrote and co-starred in the 1984 satirical rock film “This Is Spinal Tap,” and then worked on “Saturday Night Live” as an unofficial replacement for John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, which he reportedly called “living hell.”

Shearer joined “The Simpsons” in 1989, and despite initially being concerned that voice work would be boring, he has since brought some of the most distinctive characters to life, saying that he modeled Mr. Mr. Burns on Ronald Reagan and Lionel Barrymore.

Fox renewed “The Simpsons” for its incredible 27th and 28th seasons earlier this month. All-in, that will take the series to 625 episodes.

This season, “The Simpsons” is averaging a 2.7 rating/8 share among adults 18-49 and six million total viewers, per Nielsen’s “most current” numbers, which incorporates Live Plus 7 Day Viewing where available, and it has won 31 Emmys.

Read Shearer’s tweets below.

http://www.thewrap.com/the-simpsons-...shearer-exits/
Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
That sucks. I wonder if they will replace him or kill off the characters. If the latter, then I wish he would at least come back for a couple of episodes to send them off.

To be quite honest, I find it amazing that the cast has remained this long. I think the only ones they have lost are Phil Hartman and Edna to death. Flander's wife and now Shearer to leaving the show.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 05-15-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Which characters are now gone from the show? I don't remember them all. Just these:

Dr. Marvin Monroe
"Bleeding Gums" Murphy
Maude Flanders
Old 05-15-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Shearer will be missed... Replacing a voice-actor after 25 years is not an easy thing... after a couple of years is one thing, a lot of the characters' voices changed in the early years as the actors honed their characters... but after this long?

And removing Mr Burns... Ned Flanders... and to a lesser extent Skinner... those will be hard to do without if they write the characters out. They could always do a humorous episode writing the characters off the show... but they will be missed.

I thought FOX wanted to drop this show a few years back... I'm amazed they keep renewing it, and that the actors keep putting up with shenanigans... I remember the last time FOX wanted everyone to take pay cuts without back-end residuals or something like that... so not surprised someone finally broke the line (Shearer) and is moving on...

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I think Shearer has been the most outspoken critic of the show. I am surprised he has stayed this long.

As for the main cast, I can give you one good reason - Money for Nothing and your chicks for free. Seriously, they make good money for minimal investment in time.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots