'The Simpsons' in HDTV on FOX! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 314 Old 09-28-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this has been discussed but nothing recent so I'll ask again. Anybody heard anything about the Simpsons or any other FOX animated series going HD? And by that I mean 16:9 HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 314 Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Nope.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIndy View Post

I know this has been discussed but nothing recent so I'll ask again. Anybody heard anything about the Simpsons or any other FOX animated series going HD? And by that I mean 16:9 HD.

I don't think they could, just think of all the work the animators would have to do to draw those humongous cells.

They did stop doing animation live because it was a terrible strain on the animators, I think this is a similar problem.
post #4 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 02:52 PM

I think someone in another thread said it comes down to Fox being cheap.

If your HDTV isn't working properly, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.
post #5 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
D'Oh !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

just think of all the work the animators would have to do to draw those humongous cells

Excuse me for laughing, but... HAHAHAHA!!! Sorry I used to animate professionally and that one hit my funny bone pretty hard!

Cell 'size' has positively nothing to do with it. I can almost 99.99% guarantee that you'll never see a 16:9 version of the early Simpsons episodes. TV animation was traditionally fielded for 4:3. More recently, studios have caught on to HD and are now producing 16:9 content, the only difference is that the backgrounds must be drawn wider to fill the extra space.

As with any media, an HD re-master would depend on the resolution of the master copy. If the master is on film, which is possible in the earlier Simpsons seasons (before the digital age), then it can be re-mastered to any digital resolution they want. If the master copy is fixed at 640x480 resolution then there is nothing that can be done to increase this resolution, unless they re-shot every single frame of animation again, plus post production and visual effects... NOT LIKELY! I would be surprised if Fox Studios even has any of the original drawings from the early seasons, let alone full scenes or episodes. (That paper takes up a lot of room!) You never know though... it's just that any studio I ever worked for destroyed most of their originals within a few years of airing to make space.

-ExAnim8r
post #7 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

just think of all the work the animators would have to do to draw those humongous cells..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAnim8r View Post

Excuse me for laughing, but... HAHAHAHA!!! Sorry I used to animate professionally and that one hit my funny bone pretty hard!

-ExAnim8r

that was sort of a joke for its own sake and to set a a chance to use one of the best jokes ever done on the show in the nest line.
post #8 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM

I'm sure there is a bigger issue but I don't see why this can't be done. The backgrounds are still images so they should be easier to make larger. What is the real reason?
post #9 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 PM

The Simpsons should have been done in HD since last season since they had to do widescreen for the movie.
post #10 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

We've been over this same exact thread a few times.
A couple reasons why it won't go HD:
  • Long-running shows like The Simpsons have a huge catalog of stock backgrounds, layouts, etc. that would all need to be redone for HD, requiring a pretty large expenditure for little gain
  • In an age where budgets are being cut and actor salaries are skyrocketing, spending a lot of money for marginal improvements for a show near the end of its run isn't going to happen
  • The show would need to be 4:3 safe for the large number of export markets that don't do 16:9, and for syndication within the US for that matter. This results in even less gain since nothing useful could occur outside the 4:3 safe area.
  • HD isn't going to attract a larger fanbase for the show. A show like Survivor benefits since half the appeal of the show is the exotic locales, which simply doesn't translate to animation.
post #11 of 314 Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

The show would need to be 4:3 safe for the large number of export markets that don't do 16:9, and for syndication within the US for that matter. This results in even less gain since nothing useful could occur outside the 4:3 safe area.

They could show it letterboxed.
post #12 of 314 Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The movie was in HD and looked great, it also shared many of the same backgrounds and layouts.

I'll buy the cost vs benefit excuse though.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #13 of 314 Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM

I remember a pretty big discussion some time ago on here about an episode of King Of The Hill airing in 4:3 HD. The screen shots were very convincing. A few months later when the episode re-aired, it wasn't in HD and the screen shots were good proof of it.
post #14 of 314 Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 PM

I was watching tonight's episode, "The Burns and the Bees".

Something very interesting I noticed.

My TV has no overscan...that is, It displays everything that TV's usually cut out.

At the top of the 2 back bars on the sides, you can see a thin strip that isn't Black. After looking closely at it while the show was going, It honestly looks as though the non black strip is ANIMATION.

Now I read somewhere that the Simpsons was produced in 16:9 and that FOX just doesn't want to air them in Widescreen. In my opinion, what is see could possibly be proof of this.
post #15 of 314 Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

No. The line is the very top of the 4:3 picture stretched to fill the 16:9 frame. It's present on all 4:3 upconverts from the Fox network.
post #16 of 314 Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are some screenshots to compare. The first is the original. Note the position and width of blue in the top lines, corresponding to Marge's hair. The second picture is the result when those lines are unstretched to just fill the 4:3 area.

post #17 of 314 Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This comes up every few months. I think one reason it does is because some people are being misled by the Wikipedia entry for the Fox Network. It has this incorrect information:

Quote:
The Sunday primetime animated block is seen in 4:3; however those shows are animated in 16:9, although the network has decided to present the programs using only the 4:3 safe area for continuity purposes.

This would convince a lot of people that damn Fox is purposely covering up the sides of the screen.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #18 of 314 Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

this comes up every few months. I think one reason it does is because some people are being misled by the wikipedia entry for the fox network. it has this incorrect information:

"the sunday primetime animated block is seen in 4:3; however those shows are animated in 16:9, although the network has decided to present the programs using only the 4:3 safe area for continuity purposes."

this would convince a lot of people that damn fox is purposely covering up the sides of the screen.

fixed
post #19 of 314 Old 12-08-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I remember hearing that the creators of the simpsons do not want to compose for 16:9, but offered to do 4:3 HD. Fox, however, will not accept 4:3 HD material. They require any HD material to be 16:9. So, until one of those sides give, nothing is going to change.

Really, you can't use the movie as an example that they could re-composite easily for 16:9. Most of the locations in the movie were not locations usually used in the show and the animation style was slightly different so any work that they did for the movie couldn't be reused without changing the look of the TV show.
post #20 of 314 Old 12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Also, according to some of the DVD extras on the season sets... much of the animation is done overseas. Some of the commentaries have the people commenting about things they didn't catch or how they sent some things back for redo... so it seems the network is really all about keeping cost down, which is why they aren't animating every episode here in the US... so getting them to spring for HD isn't likely to happen.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #21 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 AM

Looks like the Simpsons will finally be HD.
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...=20090123fox14
post #22 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sweet!

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #23 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting timing, this will be the Sunday before the DTV transition, assuming the Senate doesn't delay it any further.
post #24 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW79SFV View Post

Interesting timing, this will be the Sunday before the DTV transition, assuming the Senate doesn't delay it any further.

Why oh why oh why, do people continue to talk about DTV conversion and HD programming in the same context.
DTV does not necessarily equal HDTV.
post #25 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 AM

This is great news! The colors should really pop!
post #26 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From FOX

--“THE SIMPSONS”—(8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) CC

HOMER GETS A GLIMPSE OF WHAT HIS LIFE WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE IF HE HAD BEEN ELECTED CLASS PRESIDENT IN HIGH SCHOOL ON AN ALL-NEW “THE SIMPSONS” SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 15, ON FOX

First Episode of Series to Air in High Definition

Episode to Feature First New Main Titles Since Series’ Premiere

When Mayor Quimby inducts Vance Connor into the Springfield Walk of Fame, Homer recounts how he ran against Vance for class president in high school and lost. After a little digging, Homer learns that the election had been rigged, and he wonders what course his life would have taken if only fate had smiled on him. Homer soon meets an old Italian cook at Luigi’s Italian Restaurant whose magical tomato sauce, when stirred in just the right way, reveals what Homer’s life would have been like had he won the election. However, when Homer gets a chance to see what his life could have been, he wonders if fate was actually been on his side all along in the all-new “Take My Life, Please” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Feb. 15 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2001) (TV-PG D)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Pamela Haden as Milhouse; Tress MacNeille as Dolph

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #27 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Lkr
AVS Special Member

I'm going to be watching The Simpsons for the first time in years on Feb 15th
post #28 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr View Post

I'm going to be watching The Simpsons for the first time in years on Feb 15th

yea the only eps i watch now are the "treehouse of horror" shows.

post #29 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

We've been over this same exact thread a few times.
A couple reasons why it won't go HD:
  • Long-running shows like The Simpsons have a huge catalog of stock backgrounds, layouts, etc. that would all need to be redone for HD, requiring a pretty large expenditure for little gain
  • In an age where budgets are being cut and actor salaries are skyrocketing, spending a lot of money for marginal improvements for a show near the end of its run isn't going to happen
  • The show would need to be 4:3 safe for the large number of export markets that don't do 16:9, and for syndication within the US for that matter. This results in even less gain since nothing useful could occur outside the 4:3 safe area.
  • HD isn't going to attract a larger fanbase for the show. A show like Survivor benefits since half the appeal of the show is the exotic locales, which simply doesn't translate to animation.

note to self:
dont ask for coyoteazs picks for the winning lottery #'s.

post #30 of 314 Old 01-25-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I guess this means Fox plans to keep The Simpsons around for several more years.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page