post #361 of 4104 Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

The ones that you've pointed out stretch my sense of compassion too far. Jesse is a actually good man inside? A girl likes him so he decides not to use her in his new drug business. Oh and he doesn't want kids to be drug dealers... only adults. He has a few quirks but he's still all about making meth, selling it to mothers, making big bucks (because $1.5 million isn't enough for him!), and the hell with the consequences.

It's those "quirks" that demonstrate he hasn't lost all of his humanity. And yes, he wants to protect children. That immediately raises him above the level of these rival gang members, for example. To you, they're all the same.

Quote:

They've pretty much lost the original characters and with the introduction of Gus, they've focused more on the machinations of the suburban drug world. This is interesting in itself, but the characters I found interesting in the first season are long gone.

Maybe that's what the show is trying to say. Once someone gets into the drug world, who they were before is gone forever. They're now in a world of violence.

That's true. They've changed. But they're still fundamentally who they originally were. Walt still cares about Jesse and feels an obligation for what Jesse has become. He still cares deeply for his family and is determined to protect them. Now, he's on the hook for his brother-in-law's expensive treatment as well. He's committed to helping these people that matter to him. He has to stay in the game, as unsavory as it is.

Jesse is still only a tough-guy wannabe. He still has a moral center, as I've pointed out in several posts. That's a weakness in his business, and it may get him killed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4104 Old 06-03-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

It's those "quirks" that demonstrate he hasn't lost all of his humanity. And yes, he wants to protect children. That immediately raises him above the level of these rival gang members, for example. To you, they're all the same.

That's true. They've changed. But they're still fundamentally who they originally were. Walt still cares about Jesse and feels an obligation for what Jesse has become. He still cares deeply for his family and is determined to protect them. Now, he's on the hook for his brother-in-law's expensive treatment as well. He's committed to helping these people that matter to him. He has to stay in the game, as unsavory as it is.

Jesse is still only a tough-guy wannabe. He still has a moral center, as I've pointed out in several posts. That's a weakness in his business, and it may get him killed.

I agree except that I think there is no way Jesse can be killed off without seriously affecting the chemistry and acceptance of this show. He constantly provides comic relief, either intenionally or unintentionally. Without Jesse, the show would be very much different.

fafner
post #363 of 4104 Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I think he looks and sounds like a former senator from Illinois who now resides on Pennsylvania Ave in Washington DC.

Our Commander in Chief doesn't wear glasses.......
post #364 of 4104 Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see no more shades of gray in Walt or Jesse any more and I bet Skyler (Divorce? What divorce?) will be hitting Walt up for a Bentley pretty soon.

If you're trying to find any goodness in these people any more, I wish you luck in your search. I've given up!

O.K., now I think we are watching the same 'Breaking Bad" T.V. show.
post #365 of 4104 Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

I agree except that I think there is no way Jesse can be killed off without seriously affecting the chemistry and acceptance of this show. He constantly provides comic relief, either intenionally or unintentionally. Without Jesse, the show would be very much different.

Yeah, they won't kill Jesse off at this point. But there will probably be consequences for this gang war he's about to start (with the best of intentions). All's I'm saying is Skinny Pete and Badger better get their affairs in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

O.K., now I think we are watching the same 'Breaking Bad" T.V. show.

But not the one I'm watching, apparently.
post #366 of 4104 Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Since I haven't seen any mention of it through any official channels, Aaron Paul was on Kevin and Bean this morning, and he said they were picked up for a fourth season with shooting beginning in August.
post #367 of 4104 Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

Since I haven't seen any mention of it through any official channels, Aaron Paul was on Kevin and Bean this morning, and he said they were picked up for a fourth season with shooting beginning in August.

Good news. But ferpetesake, where can they take this next?
post #368 of 4104 Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

Speaking of shooting. Ya'll prolly noticed the sequence where Walt and Skyler stopped in their car to look at the car wash? I was at that car wash that day. They showed up with at least 20 trucks and spent the whole day getting that one sequence. The place where they parked is actually across the street from the car wash. I thought it was interesting that they didn't just use some other location and then just cut in the shots of the car wash. It's a very busy location, lots of traffic.
post #369 of 4104 Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

No, they're not all the same. Some are worse than others but they're all scum. If my baseline for humanity ever becomes the behavior of drug dealers, I'll shoot myself.

Yes, it's cute that Jesse likes kids but that isn't going to do him any good when he's spending the rest of his life in jail for selling meth to kids' mothers. He lectured Skank about being a bad mother, completely ignoring that her addiction to his product is what's preventing her from being a good mother and directly ruining that poor kid's life. That's when I completely gave up on Jesse. He a hypocrite, a total idiot and worthless human being. He only believes what's convenient for him to believe in any situation because he never learns anything.

Remember Scarface? Remember how Tony Montana, even though he had butchered dozens of people in cold blood decided not to blow up a couple of kids? Did you think, "Oh that, Tony Montana. He's really just a sweet little softy inside!"?

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #370 of 4104 Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Remember Scarface? Remember how Tony Montana, even though he had butchered dozens of people in cold blood decided not to blow up a couple of kids? Did you think, "Oh that, Tony Montana. He's really just a sweet little softy inside!"?

Is there a term for trying to prove a point by creating a false connection between one thing and an entirely unrelated, extreme thing? 'Cause that's what you just did.

Of course I wouldn't equate Tony Montana with Jesse. But you do, and that's the extreme, black and white filter through which you view the show. I view it differently and choose to see nuance and shades of gray where you see none.
post #371 of 4104 Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Jesse, Gus and Walt as characters are interesting, entertaining and fun to watch.

But, who would want to hang out with or know/befriend a real life Walt, Jessie or Gus? Not me. That would be scary.
post #372 of 4104 Old 06-04-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

But, who would want to hang out with or know/befriend a real life Walt, Jessie or Gus? Not me. That would be scary.

I'd be happy to eat at Gus' restaurants. I'd be glad to take chemistry from Walt. I'm pretty sure Jesse changed my oil at Jiffy-lube the other day.
post #373 of 4104 Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh Nooooo!!! He Didn't......Man, sometimes I hate to be right, this is definitely one of them.

Walt, um I mean, Heisenberg has gone straight gangsta.

Jesse standing up for himself and then getting wasted was routine, but everything else in this episode was surprising and shocking.

Will all this lead to a showdown with Gus and his "Shadow Man"? Say it ain't so.
post #374 of 4104 Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Wacko show tonight, that's for sure. Me likee.

CW Hinkle
post #375 of 4104 Old 06-06-2010, 11:31 PM

Liked: 37
Just watched tonight's episode.

H. O. L. Y. S. H. I. T.

That is all.
post #376 of 4104 Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
^I'll go with that.

Although, LMAO @ Hank.

Also, I can't imagine what that whore has. : shudder:

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #377 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Or in screen writing lingo Walt is now further up the tree.
post #378 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Those two creeps had it coming. I wonder if Gus approved the killing of the lad.
post #379 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter65 View Post

Those two creeps had it coming. I wonder if Gus approved the killing of the lad.

I doubt it. That was just the two thugs making sure there were no loose ends when they cut the kid loose. Gus wouldn't want to know that sort of detail.

But holy shinola! Walt's turned a corner now. He knows Gus needs him far more than those two street thugs and he'll play that card next week. But Jesse's becoming more trouble than he's worth, as Mike mentioned to Walt - a foreshadowing? Keeping Jesse alive is going to be a full time job.
post #380 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Walt = The Skipper.
Jesse = Gilligan, the Skipper's Lil' Buddy always getting into bad situations.

Amazing how out of all the things Jesse could do at any point in time he always chooses the one thing that will get himself beat up or killed. Perhaps he thought Walt's meth would make him invincible to bullets or something because when two bad ass drug dealers bare their guns at you, you run.

Unless you're Jesse. Then you stand there and scare them with your hulking 5'8 frame and wait for them to run away. Because you're "the bad guy" who was unaware that drug dealers employ children to do their dirty work despite your supposed experience in the business.

I can't wait to see what dumb things the writers have come up with for Jesse to do in the last episode. He's the only person in the world who could ruin Walt's new life.

post #381 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But Jesse's becoming more trouble than he's worth, as Mike mentioned to Walt - a foreshadowing?

"Becoming"?

post #382 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But holy shinola! But Jesse's becoming more trouble than he's worth, as Mike mentioned to Walt - a foreshadowing? Keeping Jesse alive is going to be a full time job.

I don't see any way that Jesse stays in town and still breathing. Whether Walt killed the thugs or not is irrelevant, Jesse was the cause. At least that's the way I'd see it in Gus' shoes. In any case, Walt has some 'splaining to do. But when has Jesse NOT been more trouble than he was worth?
post #383 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Perhaps he thought Walt's meth would make him invincible to bullets or something because when two bad ass drug dealers bare their guns at you, you run.

That's exactly what meth does, and Jesse knows this.
post #384 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought that was the end of Jesse. It should've been, he didn't have a chance in hell if Walt hadn't "dropped in".

post #385 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I thought it was just too unbelievable for walt to turn up at that precise moment, came out of seemingly nowhere and wiped out the two dudes, like the T Rex at the end of JUrassic PArk. I mean come on.
post #386 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
That episode was great last night. Wonderful and shocking ending.

The Seson Finale goes from 10-11:47 next week.

I am pumped for it.
post #387 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

@Barth

There's a lot at stake for Walt, if he knows what's going on (Jesse did tell Walt about them) and he feels motivated enough that he needs to preserve his lively hood then he'll go out of his way to take care of it. I think it's semi believable although getting there right on time probably isn't. I could still see him shockingly use gun like he did.

post #388 of 4104 Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

That episode was great last night. Wonderful and shocking ending.

The Seson Finale goes from 10-11:47 next week.

I am pumped for it.

The season finale is only 48 minutes of actual show content. The rest is commercials and a sneak preview for the Rubicon pilot.
post #389 of 4104 Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

@Barth

There's a lot at stake for Walt, if he knows what's going on (Jesse did tell Walt about them) and he feels motivated enough that he needs to preserve his lively hood then he'll go out of his way to take care of it. I think it's semi believable although getting there right on time probably isn't. I could still see him shockingly use gun like he did.

Walt knows Jesse well enough by now to suspect he'd go off the reservation after finding out about the kid being killed. Walt was probably parked and waiting at the intersection, hoping Jesse wouldn't show up but prepared to take desperate measures if he did.
post #390 of 4104 Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's exactly what meth does, and Jesse knows this.

Meth makes you invincible to bullets? Holy crap. Let's get our troops out of their bulky Kevlar suits and on meth immediately!

I thought the stuff just makes you stupid or in Jesse's case even stupider making it more difficult to perform dangerous tasks like assassinating two armed bad ass drug dealers by walking straight at them with your gun for a hundred feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I thought it was just too unbelievable for walt to turn up at that precise moment, came out of seemingly nowhere and wiped out the two dudes, like the T Rex at the end of JUrassic PArk. I mean come on.

It would have made more sense if Walt had screamed, "Lil' Buddy! Lil' Buddy!" I loved how both of the guys were completely unaware that a noisy car was barreling down at them. Usually when your life is in danger your senses are heightened to your surroundings but I guess the writers couldn't come up with anything better.

Now if a T Rex had eaten them, that would have been cool!

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page