AVS Forum banner

Breaking Bad on AMCHD

245K views 4K replies 269 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·
AMCHD was running a marathon tonight of the first season of Breaking Bad. The entire season was available in HD on Comcast on Demand. But on AMCHD tonight, the program was not shown in HD but was shown in SD letterbox that was stretched to eliminate the side columns. Aaargh. Unwatchable.

I don't know why AMCHD wouldn't show this award-winning show in HD since it has an HD transfer. And even if they couldn't show it in HD, they at least should have zoomed to preserve the OAR rather than stretching the letterbox.

Any ideas what's up here?

#3,480 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3450#post_23763009

Why does Saul; have to bail out??? The DEA has his body-guard, but why is Saul backed up???

I guess money laundry and maybe some kind of drug conspiracy/child poisoning?

#3,481 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3450#post_23762010

I am now offering my card playing services, the price is 10k per hour plus expenses. PM me to sign up.

I think the card offer was 10k for 2 hours and Walt got him to stay 1 hour. Walt putting on the hat told us that Heisenberg was back. For a man with Walt's intelligence, he should have known to hang up the phone so as not to get traced..Congratulations to Vince for winning Best Drama Series and to Anna Gunn for Best Supporting Actress..Talking Bad brought up the fact that Jesse has no luck with girlfriends, they are always winding up dead.

Daily News Writer David Hinckley put Walts cabin fever in prospective: From the Eagles "Hotel California":

"You can check out any time you like, "But you can never leave!."

#3,482 ·
A small plot issue: I'm pretty sure nobody would try to use a propane truck to transport across state lines. It would be subject to frequent inspections, and licensing in each state traveled would be required. Certainly not a "low profile" vehicle. HazMat permits are no small undertaking.

#3,484 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3450#post_23762277

.one thing which was confusing was how much time passed in this episode from when Walt first arrives in New Hampshire to when he leaves...I thought it was 1 month being that the driver told him that he would be stopping by once a month but I'm thinking it had to be longer then that for Walt to grow that much hair

When the Forster character was administering Walts chemo, he mentioned that he read up on it and could do it better than "last time". So that's at least 3 months. I figure its around three months or close to a year since there's always snow on the ground.

Todd is a complete monster, yet is loyal to a fault and is putty in Lydias hands. So nice to have a complex bad guy when so many shows would have wrote him as a straight up one dimensional bad seed.

"It really is a vacuum store" was great.

Even though Walt was mortified that the Grey Matter principals sold him out on TV, I think its more of a final straw. News of Skyler working as a dispatcher didn't exactly sit too well with him. He's going out west to settle all family business.

#3,486 ·

Quote:
For a man with Walt's intelligence, he should have known to hang up the phone so as not to get traced.

I'm sure Walt left the phone off the hook on purpose so he could get arrested. He did call the DEA and said he was Walter White. Then he changed his mind and fled after hearing Gretchen and Elliott on TV.

Heisenberg is back for revenge.

#3,489 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3480#post_23763297

A small plot issue: I'm pretty sure nobody would try to use a propane truck to transport across state lines. It would be subject to frequent inspections, and licensing in each state traveled would be required. Certainly not a "low profile" vehicle. HazMat permits are no small undertaking.

Good point. A U-Haul filled with furniture (and Walt in the back with it, but hidden) or something similar would make a lot more sense and avoid inspections or detection if inspected for some reason.

#3,492 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3450_50#post_23763357

Todd is a complete monster, yet is loyal to a fault and is putty in Lydias hands. So nice to have a complex bad guy when so many shows would have wrote him as a straight up one dimensional bad seed.

I think what's really interesting about this dynamic is that Lydia is completely oblivious to it. She is so worried about her own problems and the continual danger that she's in that she doesn't see Todd for what he is -- both the most dangerous person she's crossed paths with, and a young guy who is completely in love with her (or at least, what he thinks of as love). She could get him to do anything, if she could see it, but she doesn't.

#3,493 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamesJay  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3400_100#post_23763512

Exactly what I thought. Daniels was least deserving of all the nominees if you ask me.

Agreed. Plus, he was kind of flip when he gave his acceptance speech. Then again, I haven't seen The Newsroom.

Later, Cranston presented along with Claire Danes, who won the corresponding actress award to Daniels' actor award. He congratulated Danes and then joked that he had his fingers crossed for his category, although it was already given to Daniels at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3400_100#post_23763297

I suppose Ed could have somehow had the propane truck only for the New Hampshire leg of the trip or something. It's awkward to consider driving from New Mexico to New Hampshire with Walt just sitting in an empty tank. And does he just pop out every few hours at interstate rest stops for a bathroom break? Ed seems pretty resourceful and may have multiple vehicle options for his methods.

#3,494 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3480#post_23763487

For those who Todd makes their skin crawl, I'm not sure I see a lot of difference between Todd and Dexter other than their respective parents' skills.

Todd killed a child and innocent people; Dexer only killed murderers (for the most part).

#3,495 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3480#post_23763280

I think the card offer was 10k for 2 hours and Walt got him to stay 1 hour. Walt putting on the hat told us that Heisenberg was back. For a man with Walt's intelligence, he should have known to hang up the phone so as not to get traced..Congratulations to Vince for winning Best Drama Series and to Anna Gunn for Best Supporting Actress..Talking Bad brought up the fact that Jesse has no luck with girlfriends, they are always winding up dead.

Daily News Writer David Hinckley put Walts cabin fever in prospective: From the Eagles "Hotel California":

"You can check out any time you like, "But you can never leave!."

Yes his offer was 10k for 2 hours, but my offer is still 10k for 1 hour, I am totally worth it.

#3,496 ·
Dead horse dept:

I did watch Newsroom last season and dumped it because it was too politicized for my taste. Jeff Daniels might well have deserved recognition for his work in Newsroom, but what Cranston has done with W White this season is far and away the best character acting in recent history. His transformation from king of the hill to fugitive while appearing to descend into madness is pure gold.

Bryan Cranston is a class act and a real gentlemen. I watched several Talking Bad interviews with him and he always gives credit for any Br Ba success to the writers and his fellow cast members. Watch the 6 min interview from a week or so back. He is a genuinely gracious and funny man.

Also Bad timing. I saw the same thing happen in 1963 re: Oscars. Jack Lemmon gave a virtuoso performance in Days of Wine and Roses but lost out to Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird. Bad luck for Jack that the two were nominated in the same year.

Have an A1 day.

#3,499 ·
Some wishes I had in this episode

- Skyler not chickening out and get her family protected 24/7 and tell them about Lydia so she leads them to the nazis

- Marie saving a backup copy someplace else, they were so careless not having copies outside of their house

- Jesse would have escape, it's a shame he couldn't and now Andrea is dead

#3,500 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3480_60#post_23763698

Todd killed a child and innocent people; Dexer only killed murderers (for the most part).

Hence my point about their respective parents' skills. Dexter was given a code. Todd was not. They're both sociopaths who think nothing of killing a person and have little emotional connections to anyone.

#3,501 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3440_40#post_23763123

It's kind of odd that Walt has full set of hair but his Chemo treatment is still ongoing..
that was explained back in this thread as the 2nd & 3rd rounds of chemo one's hair does not fall out but you lose weight instead IE; his ring falling off .

#3,504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero  /t/1071904/breaking-bad-on-amchd/3480#post_23763873

Hence my point about their respective parents' skills. Dexter was given a code. Todd was not. They're both sociopaths who think nothing of killing a person and have little emotional connections to anyone.

I follow ya. I was just commenting based on you saying you don't see many differences between Dexter and Todd, when there are actually a lot of them. I think Todd is scarier & crazier.