Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

Old 07-24-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Also, (I'm guessing) Gus was not looking to compete with their blue meth, but to replace it with his own, eliminating Walt and Jesse; thus avoiding the need to "Market" a new product, piggybacking on the blue meth's reputation. And he could not replicate the color or purity.

[OT Rant]Similar to the way TV manufacturers called their LED Backlit TVs "LED TVs" piggybacking on the real LED set development (O-LED)[/OT Rant]

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Good post. I take the show's creator's and head writer's word at face value too, and Vince Gilligan has not been coy about his premise for the show or where it's going. To me so far, everything has been consistent with his initial premise, and he's been very up front about it in interviews.

Mentioning Tony Montana and his loss of humanity is very apt, as Gilligan has consistently mentioned turning his mild-mannered, middle aged protagonist into Scarface, and yes, Walt's loss of humanity (and his self-delusion and denial about it) has been a consistent theme, as has been the ugly and tragic consequences of his descent into depravity for those around him.

I don't thing Walt is ever going to go 100% Scarface. There's too much underlying programming that's fundamentally different. Walt was a relatively normal, good guy, albeit with a tendency toward recklessness and a giant chip on his shoulder honed from years of struggles with his self-esteem (hey, I took Psych 101 in college!).

Yes, he's done some bad stuff and his own personal body count is rising, but he still sees himself as a good guy. If he ever loses those last vestiges of his humanity, then he also loses his interest as a compelling character. One note is boring (unless it's Al Pacio chewing scenery as only he can do). And Walt has Jesse - and what he's caused Jesse to become - to represent the "good side" he once had and believes, deep down, he can be again. I believe he can't let go of Jesse for that reason.

I think Gilligan is going to walk Walt right up to the edge but Walt's never going to be blasting away with high powered weaponry while psychotically screaming that people need to meet his li'l frien'. Not that that wouldn't be great television!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I don't thing Walt is ever going to go 100% Scarface. There's too much underlying programming that's fundamentally different. Walt was a relatively normal, good guy, albeit with a tendency toward recklessness and a giant chip on his shoulder honed from years of struggles with his self-esteem (hey, I took Psych 101 in college!).

Yes, he's done some bad stuff and his own personal body count is rising, but he still sees himself as a good guy. If he ever loses those last vestiges of his humanity, then he also loses his interest as a compelling character. One note is boring (unless it's Al Pacio chewing scenery as only he can do). And Walt has Jesse - and what he's caused Jesse to become - to represent the "good side" he once had and believes, deep down, he can be again. I believe he can't let go of Jesse for that reason.

I think Gilligan is going to walk Walt right up to the edge but Walt's never going to be blasting away with high powered weaponry while psychotically screaming that people need to meet his li'l frien'. Not that that wouldn't be great television!

I think this is a good analysis. I agree that Walt's background, no matter the horrible things that have happened in recent years, guarantees that he will never fall into drug abuse and psychosis a la Tony Montana. Besides, Walt has never killed anybody unless they needed killing. Come to think of it, though, the cold blooded hit Walt talked Jesse into making on Gale was pretty chilling.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

...Besides, Walt has never killed anybody unless they needed killing. Come to think of it, though, the cold blooded hit Walt talked Jesse into making on Gale was pretty chilling.

I like how they set it up as "us vs. them". Walt has been shown to be willing to do anything to protect his family. And he views Jesse as part of it. There's a certain nobility to that sentiment, I suppose, but it's fascinating how the show keeps presenting its characters with such tragically Faustian bargains.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

I agree, but then "100% Scarface" is something of a strawman. It's an analogous theme. That's the problem with analogies when people take them too literally. They're rhetorical devices, designed to illustrate a point. If you take them literally, then they are no longer analogies. They become descriptions, and that really defeats their purpose.

Quote:
Yes, he's done some bad stuff and his own personal body count is rising, but he still sees himself as a good guy. If he ever loses those last vestiges of his humanity, then he also loses his interest as a compelling character.

Again, 100% loss of Walt's humanity is another strawman position. I don't think you are denying that Walt's loss of humanity is a consistent theme in the show's development. If not, then we agree.

Quote:

Again, too literal. Walt is becoming a badass drug kingpin, which I think is the point. This has been the direction Walt has been going from the first moment we saw him onscreen. I've been participating in these discussions about BB on various boards for a couple of years now, and I've seen posters deny over and over that Walt will ever be a kingpin. It's abundantly clear that his becoming one has been where this show has been headed from the very beginning. It is in fact the entire premise of the show. Those denying that just don't get it.

Now, that last bit was not intended to be a representation of your view, as I think you do get it, but I'm weary of trying to make that last point to some persistent posters on other boards. I'm sorry if it comes off like I'm coming down on you. I'm not, and I'm really just venting I suppose.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree, but then "100% Scarface" is something of a strawman. It's an analogous theme. That's the problem with analogies when people take them too literally. They're rhetorical devices, designed to illustrate a point. If you take them literally, then they are no longer analogies. They become descriptions, and that really defeats their purpose.

I wasn't intending a literal comparison with Scarface, just expanding the metaphor. Sf is a caricature of a man with no moral compass and unbridled, untempered ambition. Walt will never go there, not completely. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the show ends - and it needs to be allowed to conclude on its own terms - with Walt making one last gesture that shows he's still Walt, not Heisenberg. I expect to see a glorious death, and one that involves the ultimate sacrifice to save his loved ones. I also smell another Emmy for Mr. Cranston.

Quote:

Again, too literal. Walt is becoming a badass drug kingpin, which I think is the point. This has been the direction Walt has been going from the first moment we saw him onscreen. I've been participating in these discussions about BB on various boards for a couple of years now, and I've seen posters deny over and over that Walt will ever be a kingpin. It's abundantly clear that his becoming one has been where this show has been headed from the very beginning. It is in fact the entire premise of the show. Those denying that just don't get it.

You're probably right. But Gilligan could take us somewhere else we don't really anticipate; he's good at that. Maybe Jesse becomes the Kingpin, and the show becomes the battle Walt wages for Jesse's humanity. Or something. I'm fully expecting to be surprised as surprise has become par for this course.

Quote:

Now, that last bit was not intended to be a representation of your view, as I think you do get it, but I'm weary of trying to make that last point to some persistent posters on other boards. I'm sorry if it comes off like I'm coming down on you. I'm not, and I'm really just venting I suppose.

Now, now. I know it's difficult when those of less perceptive ability don't immediately see your eminently logical positions, the ninnys. I feel your pain. But do try to have patience with them. It's a virtue, I hear.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now, now. I know it's difficult when those of less perceptive ability don't immediately see your eminently logical positions, the ninnys. I feel your pain. But do try to have patience with them. It's a virtue, I hear.

They're not ninnys. They're just in denial. Like Walt.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't intending a literal comparison with Scarface, just expanding the metaphor. Sf is a caricature of a man with no moral compass and unbridled, untempered ambition. Walt will never go there, not completely. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the show ends - and it needs to be allowed to conclude on its own terms - with Walt making one last gesture that shows he's still Walt, not Heisenberg. I expect to see a glorious death, and one that involves the ultimate sacrifice to save his loved ones. I also smell another Emmy for Mr. Cranston.

Hey, fair enough.

I will disagree about this, but it's just speculation on our parts, but hey, that's part of the fun of discussing this show, isn't it?

I think Walt's more down-to-earth personality being subsumed into Walt's alter ego Heisenberg is what Gilligan meant to explore from the beginning. How can we, as writers, take this milquetoast, bland, ordinary middle-aged, middle class guy, and turn him into a ruthless, calculating, drug lord? And won't the journey be fun?

Where I disagree with you is that there will be any kind of redemption for Walt. I think that's a cop out. Why? Well, for it to play out like the tragedy it is, Walt's gotta pay for his...transgressions. He's already paid a lot, but ultimately he's going to pay by losing at least someone, if not more than one someone, who is very close to him -- family. It may be Hank, or Skyler, or even Walt, Jr. (but I doubt that Walt, Jr. will die). Ultimately, near the end of the series, it may be Jesse, his surrogate son. I think Walt has to pay with insufferable guilt, knowing that he is responsible for the death of a family member, even if it's his surrogate son Jesse. That may be especially poignant, as Walt is the only "family" Jesse has left.

I think we will see Walt suffer the emotional and psychic pain and guilt from that in the last episode or two, and then I think Walt will pay with his life, whether at his own hand (it's possible), someone else's hand (even by Hank's, in a BIL to BIL, but criminal vs. cop shootout), or because his cancer finally catches up to him and has the last laugh. I'm guessing he will die by the sword, however, but not before he endures terrible suffering from guilt and personal loss.

I think redemption is not part of the plan. Then again, the plan could change in mid-flight, so who knows?

Anyway, I very much agree with you that the show will go out on its own terms, or at least that's what Gilligan intends. I read recently that he said he would like to state publicly an ending date or target date, once they determine when that should be. I'm guessing it will end after 5 seasons and no more. I don't think anyone connected with the creative part of the show wants to see it overstay its welcome. It's far from that stage, but you can sort of feel that probably one more season is the limit.

I'll be eagerly watching all along the way, with all the other devoted fans of this outstanding show (BTW, I'd like to see Giancarlo Esposito get an Emmy too).
Old 07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
first off I love the show and consider it the 2nd best show on TV behind Game of Thrones...that being said Walter's evolvement into a drug lord has been ridiculous...I could see him killing those 2 low level dealers in Season 1 (Krazy 8 and Emilio)...but everything that happened after that has been something out of a fantasy book

he bombs Tuco's hideout and not only does everyone live but Tuco agress to work with him?...then Tuco kidnaps Walt and Jesse and they not only outsmart him but he ends up dead....so they take over his business and become the new distributor?...then they get hooked up with Gus who ends up murdering the top members of a dangerous Mexican cartel??...then to top it off they end up screwing Gus over by killing Gale and becming even more bad ass?...this all happens within a year's time frame?...a high school chemistry teacher and a high school dropout becoming drug kingpins?...great show but totally ridiculous premise
Old 07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

...this all happens within a year's time frame?...a high school chemistry teacher and a high school dropout becoming drug kingpins?...great show but totally ridiculous premise

They're not drug kingpins. They're actually at the bottom of the meth manufacturing and distribution tree: the cookers. This position is so lowly that it's been outsourced to Mexico.

Gilligan has chosen an accelerated timeframe for the story so far. He seems to be in a hurry to get somewhere, maybe because of the twelve episode seasons. I really hope that he isn't going to copy a rise and fall like Scarface. I do think he's going to replace Gus with Walt and Walt is going to emulate Gus's double life which Walt was so impressed with.

They'll probably have fun with this for a while with Walt having numerous close calls and killing people every once in a while because they noffin' but cockarochas!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
People are using the wrong Pacino transformation. Its not Scarface, its Michael Corleone...
Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post
Walt really doesn't know when to shut up....
+1000, I mean.......Why Walt...Why?

Jesse is using Partying in an attempt to "run away" from himself - too bad it ain't gonna work.

Mike is still in control, and I wonder if he's right..will Walt ever see Gus again (and both walk away alive)?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Good episode. Some of those scenes were done so nicely. Hats off to the production crew, etc.

Jessie.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Going to be a fun cat and mouse game as Walt goes after Gus.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone else find the audio on AMC-HD a little underwhelming? This is the first season I am watching Breaking Bad live on AMC. I caught up with the past three seasons on Blu-ray, which was much more impressive on the audio side. I realize broadcast Dolby 5.1 can't compare to DTS-HD MA, but even so, coming off of the Blu-rays I am finding the broadcast audio a bit hollow. The party scenes were where I really noticed this. Badger comments how Jesse's system sounds like an earthquake, but that's not how I heard it. Even the opening title theme sounds weak. The theme always sounded so immserive on the Blu-ray.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
sounded fine here.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

Anyone else find the audio on AMC-HD a little underwhelming? This is the first season I am watching Breaking Bad live on AMC. I caught up with the past three seasons on Blu-ray, which was much more impressive on the audio side.

That's because...
Quote:

I realize broadcast Dolby 5.1 can't compare to DTS-HD MA, but even so, coming off of the Blu-rays I am finding the broadcast audio a bit hollow.

Most cable channels (including AMC) only send 384 kbps Dolby Digital which is actually inferior to the 448 kbps you will find on any DVD with 5.1 channel audio. This creates a blurrier audio image.

Forget Scarface. Now Walt wants to be Travis Bickle! Yep, buying guns in a hotel room, attempting to walk up and kill a bad guy, straight out of Taxi Driver. That worked so well for Bickle who had military training so why wouldn't it work for dorky Walter H. White who only wants to kill a drug lord? Too bad those Navy Seals beat him to Bin Laden.

Skyler showed exactly why a car wash is not an ideal business to launder money: any agent with a clipboard and some spare time can sit in the parking lot and determine how much money the business is really making and prove its a front. Good luck cooking the books so it's the most profitable car wash in the country, Skyler. Her speech to Saul about how she knows more about money laundering was just her flapping her lips. Walt isn't the only one who overestimating their abilities in the criminal world and now she's as much of a threat to Walt as anyone. It would be fun if Walt did something like buy a competing car wash to get back at bushy eyes but Walt is only interested in shooting people he doesn't like at the moment.

And, wow, we almost made it through the whole episode without any pointless violence. Thanks, Mike! I love bars where you can stomp on a helpless person for a minute without anyone noticing.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Buying a gun is a bit primitive for Walt after what we've seen him capable of. This is the guy who walked into Tuco's office with a chemical explosive. Surely Walt could think of something more original/concealable than a gun.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0ut View Post

Surely Walt could think of something more original/concealable than a gun.

Like a box cutter.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Machette.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Ricin in the paila marina.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

An exploding human head. Leave it in Gus's front yard and when he picks it up... kaboom!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Jim Beaver didn't have a Winchester for Walt?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm of the same mind on the car wash. Every time the show goes there I say, "A car wash? Really? Come on, now..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

sounded fine here.

It was fine for me too up north on Shaw Direct. Any time they cut to Jesse's house stuff started shaking at my house. I did sense some compression at times, but it wasn't too distracting.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 559
I thought this week's Breaking Bad was a little uneven and was too often not very interesting. It did have its moments, though. I thought Walt's scene in the bar with Gus' enforcer was riveting. I bet Walt remembered it well, too. I agree that the idea of using a car wash as a money laundering vehicle has its weaknesses.

The 5.1 audio of this week's show was just fine here. Note, however that AMC's 5.1 audio, and that of the shows on most other cable networks, is only 384kbps, which is not in the same world with a BD's lossless HD audio, which is exponentially higher.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought Walt's scene in the bar with Gus' enforcer was riveting.

Yes, it was. I thoroughly enjoyed Jesse's scenes, although the subtext of his trying desperately to distract himself with toys and party going friends to prevent him from being alone with his thoughts to torture him was very sad. Best part of those scenes? Roomba Cam at the party! Also, I loved how Badger was freaked out by the Roomba while they were high.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Yes, it was. I thoroughly enjoyed Jesse's scenes, although the subtext of his trying desperately to distract himself with toys and party going friends to prevent him from being alone with his thoughts to torture him was very sad. Best part of those scenes? Roomba Cam at the party! Also, I loved how Badger was freaked out by the Roomba while they were high.

One thing we noticed--in the "morning after the party" scene as Jesse is leaving for work a face appears in the foreground from the left side of the screen--an older face with glasses and a sort of "aging hippie" look. Aside from the dark hair and such the guy looks an awful lot like Walt--a possible cameo done by Bryan Cranston?

Steve S.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The 5.1 audio of this week's show was just fine here. Note, however that AMC's 5.1 audio, and that of the shows on most other cable networks, is only 384kbps, which is not in the same world with a BD's lossless HD audio, which is exponentially higher.

You just get a less convincing audio image. For example in the pilot on the Blu-ray when the fire engines are in the far distance, their sound really has a direction that you can point at. The direction is much less clear on the DVD. These are the subtle things you lose in compression.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0ut View Post

Buying a gun is a bit primitive for Walt after what we've seen him capable of. This is the guy who walked into Tuco's office with a chemical explosive. Surely Walt could think of something more original/concealable than a gun.

You do make a good point.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Aside from the dark hair and such the guy looks an awful lot like Walt--a possible cameo done by Bryan Cranston?

I saw a still of that scene - I'm convinced it's him.

The Roomba stuff cracked me up