7Likes

post #721 of 4109 Old 08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
To me, the thing that sets Jesse apart from the other characters is he is the only one who CARES about being a "bad guy". Last season he stated to Walt, "We ARE the bad guys". Everyone else still seems like they think deep down inside they are basically good (Walt) or are not bothered by the fact they are bad (Gus). Or are ignoring what the consequences are (Skyler and Gale). When the characters are operating on this level there really is only death as a permanent negotiation or solution. There are no half measures. (Thanks, Mike.)

Marie might not know it but she is using her stealing as a way to get Hank to notice her like he use to. Hank might soften up a bit now after helping her again. She can't be in super bad shape since she hasn't given up on purple yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4109 Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

This is an aside, but I have to wonder if Vince Gilligan and/or the other writers on the show had William Pickard's and Clyde Apperson's LSD super labs in mind when they conceived of the meth super lab Gale initially set up for Gus.

For those who do not know, Pickard is serving a life sentence for manufacturing and distributing large quantities of LSD. He is a well educated, highly intelligent man from an upper middle class background, something of a nerd. At the time of his most recent arrest, the DEA contends he was responsible for making and distributing somewhere on the order of 90% of the LSD found on the streets in the US, and much of the LSD found in Europe as well, as his distribution chain extended there too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Leonard_Pickard

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-110958-8471r/

It's just something I've been wondering about for a while, because Pickard's case is so remarkable. Like Walt, he was always strictly a manufacturer, not a street dealer or distributor.

Thoughts, anyone?

A life sentence was too harsh of a punishment.

Thanks for the information, I did not know about this.
post #723 of 4109 Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

A life sentence was too harsh of a punishment.

Thanks for the information, I did not know about this.

Considering he was supplying 90% of the World market, they probably would have given the death sentence if possible ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #724 of 4109 Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

As did I with Justified , 1 season late
just before the new season starts they run a marathon of the last season in playing order , So save some cash & DVR the shows , that's what I did with the 1st season as I caught up on the 1st season that way,just before season 2 started .

Justified had me at hello. The combination of Tim Olyphant and Elmore Leonard was all I needed to know. I have been an Elmore Leonard junky for more years than I care to recount and Olyphant is one of my favorite actors. Justified is a great show and is by far the most faithful thing to Leonard's work ever put on film.

Back to the subjet of the thread for a moment, I agree with the notion that Jesse understands what he has become and is tortured by it. Walt, in stark contrast, remains in deep denial and continues to delude himself. He would prefer to think of himself as a chemist filling a need and ignore the lives that have been lost because of him, some of them at his own hands.
post #725 of 4109 Old 08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Justified had me at hello. The combination of Tim Olyphant and Elmore Leonard was all I needed to know. I have been an Elmore Leonard junky for more years than I care to recount and Olyphant is one of my favorite actors. Justified is a great show and is by far the most faithful thing to Leonard's work ever put on film.

I'd say "Get Shorty" was pretty darn close, myself ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #726 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 164
TV/Business Notes
'Breaking Bad' Eying Two-Season Final Run
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - August 3rd, 2011

RELATED: AMC President On 'Breaking Bad' Order, 'Walking Dead' Budget & 'Mad Men' Deal

With 11 days left until the license fee deal on AMC's drama Breaking Bad is set to expire, the network and producing studio Sony Pictures Television are heading into the homestretch of their negotiations for a fifth season of the dark series starring Bryan Cranston. Despite Sony sending out feelers to other cable networks and reportedly getting interest from FX, all sides feel confident that Breaking Bad will return to AMC for what is expected to be its final chapter. Creator Vince Gilligan had made it clear that he wants to end the series after Season 5.

I've learned that AMC has an offer on the table for a standard 13-episode fifth season but Sony is looking for more. People close to the matter expect the final deal to be for 13-20 episodes, possibly spread over 2 seasons. Besides pinning down the exact size of the order, a sticking point has been who will shoulder the production cost for Breaking Bad going forward. In TV, starting with Season 5, the network take over 100% of a show's production cost. In the early days of original series on basic cable, the networks didn't know quite how to handle the tricky Season 4-Season 5 transition financially and tended to cancel shows after four seasons, like Lifetime's Any Day Now. In the case of Breaking Bad, I hear AMC is asking Sony for some participation in the budget, which most recently was around $3.2 million an episode.

AMC and Sony's previous license negotiation last year was also lengthy and difficult. But this time around, a renewal appeared a much easier proposition, given the series' double-digit ratings growth for the start of Season 4, including posting a series high with the season premiere. Additionally, the auxiliary market, where Breaking Bad had been far weaker than AMC's signature series Mad Men, also has picked up. Thanks in part to a savvy deal Sony made with Walmart, DVD sales for Season 3 went up double digits from Season 2, a rare feat for a series these says. And after it wraps a deal for the show, Sony has to also forge a new pact with Gilligan whose contract is also up after this season.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/brea...son-final-run/
post #727 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
^Cool.

WTF is wrong with Jesse... ? Someone put him out of his pathetic misery. Marie was funny.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #728 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Nice episode, finally Jesse saing "bitch" again.. hehehe..

guy pretending to be a health inspector was well done...

Is it me or Skylar gained a lot of weight? I mean she had the baby a while back she seems more overweigh then when she was pregnant.. was Anna really pregnant? did they ask her to gain weight on purpouse? mmm

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #729 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post
WTF is wrong with Jesse... ? Someone put him out of his pathetic misery. Marie was funny.
Jesse's bits in his house are actually a bit painful to watch .. for me anyway .. talk about the dregs of humanity .. Walt needs to step in and clean up that mess ..

Uncle Willie

post #730 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Is it me or Skylar gained a lot of weight?
It looks to me like she has put on some poundage ..

Uncle Willie

post #731 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I would much rather see the series end after 5 seasons than have the writers try to figure out what the hell to do for more episodes. The audience notices but all the bean counters see is the money.
post #732 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
The series BB started with a big Bang & that's what I'd expect that they end with a big Bang as well .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #733 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It looks to me like she has put on some poundage ..

Based on the way they're dressing and shooting her, I'd say Anna Gunn may well be pregnant - always an unexpected headache for the producers of a TV show. Too bad she couldn't have gotten herself knocked up a couple of years ago so it would coincide with her pregnancy on the show.
post #734 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

The series BB started with a big Bang & that's what I'd expect that they end with a big Bang as well .

I was already thinking about that today.
I'm sure one or more lead characters will be killed.
post #735 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Based on the way they're dressing and shooting her, I'd say Anna Gunn may well be pregnant - always an unexpected headache for the producers of a TV show. Too bad she couldn't have gotten herself knocked up a couple of years ago so it would coincide with her pregnancy on the show.

She WAS pregnant a couple years ago.
post #736 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

She WAS pregnant a couple years ago.

Really? Well, I guess they can't give Skyler & Walt another kid. So they'll just have to hide it. If she's really preggers and not just packing on poundage.
post #737 of 4109 Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Is this "Breaking Bad" or Weight Watchers?.....LOL, Just Jokin'.
post #738 of 4109 Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Mmm how about she's pregnant on the show again? and the father is Ted...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #739 of 4109 Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

To me, the thing that sets Jesse apart from the other characters is he is the only one who CARES about being a "bad guy". Last season he stated to Walt, "We ARE the bad guys". Everyone else still seems like they think deep down inside they are basically good (Walt) or are not bothered by the fact they are bad (Gus). Or are ignoring what the consequences are (Skyler and Gale). When the characters are operating on this level there really is only death as a permanent negotiation or solution. There are no half measures. (Thanks, Mike.)

That's because Jesse has been a wanna-be bad guy since high school. This was his career goal (excluding his painful attempt to get a legitimate job in the first season). The rest probably never expected to be in the bad-guy profession when they were in high school.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #740 of 4109 Old 08-05-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

That's because Jesse has been a wanna-be bad guy since high school. This was his career goal (excluding his painful attempt to get a legitimate job in the first season). The rest probably never expected to be in the bad-guy profession when they were in high school.

I don't think Jesse ever wanted to be "a bad guy". His intentions were always honorable, in a way. He just wanted to make a living, figured out how to do it in a shady kind of way, and just wanted to have his little slice of the pie. He had no desire to be a kingpin; he wasn't that stupid, or ambitious. Had he not taken that initial plunge into methmaking, I doubt he would ever have been involved in anything illegal beside, maybe, small time dealing.
post #741 of 4109 Old 08-07-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 111
Masterfully done episode, a bit predictable but still suspenseful and TENSE-great balance of action, drama and humor.

Skyler has lost it, Walter is thinking clearly again...Jesse is just LOST.

Good to see Gus; the Cartel strikes back....The Plot Thickens.......
post #742 of 4109 Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Masterfully done episode, a bit predictable but still suspenseful and TENSE-great balance of action, drama and humor.

Skyler has lost it, Walter is thinking clearly again...Jesse is just LOST.

Good to see Gus; the Cartel strikes back....The Plot Thickens.......

I laughed. Jesse is lost.

Good episode.
post #743 of 4109 Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How amazing was the sound editing on that opening sequence. Even before bullets started flying, just the buildup and stuff rattling around in the surrounds. Even the panning from centre to right and back while Skyler was talking.
post #744 of 4109 Old 08-07-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Walter, Jr. didn't have breakfast this episode or the last. I'm worried about him. That poor kid is never gonna grow if he doesn't get his breakfast.
post #745 of 4109 Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Great episode and now the cartel aspect is in play.

The Gale video of him singing was hilarious. The lab notes also showed what a weird guy he is. A true nerd.

Already pumped for next week's episode.
post #746 of 4109 Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

Great episode and now the cartel aspect is in play.

The Gale video of him singing was hilarious. The lab notes also showed what a weird guy he is. A true nerd.

Already pumped for next week's episode.

Yes, it was a great episode and Gale's video was hilarious, although Walt's watching it brought back the horror of and utter wrongness of his murder. It was good to see Walt's humanity re-emerge briefly in recognizing that, and then chilling to see him turn on a dime and be back to chatting up Hank and thinking mostly of reviewing the case file to see how it might lead back to him.

It's sad to see Jesse revert to what he knows best -- being the druggie homey -- but he is emotionally numb and sees himself as the walking dead. Mike should be worried about driving him out to the desert. There's nothing more dangerous than a guy who's got nothing left to lose, and that's how Jesse feels. He sees himself as already dead, so why not risk everything and go medieval on Mike when he gets the chance?

Gale's case file, his notebook, crime scene photos, and the entire video are up for viewing at AMC's website. Go here:

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-...cher-case-file
post #747 of 4109 Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalist5.1 View Post

How amazing was the sound editing on that opening sequence. Even before bullets started flying, just the buildup and stuff rattling around in the surrounds. Even the panning from centre to right and back while Skyler was talking.

I liked the sound of that opening sequence, but it felt weird at points later on. Like the sound shifting from center to right and back in that one scene were Skyler was talking (and it took a few seconds for it to shift back to center once the camera angle changed), and another scene were Hank was to the left and so was his voice... It's just unusual to have voices of people onscreen not come from the center channel.
post #748 of 4109 Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdude View Post

It's just unusual to have voices of people onscreen not come from the center channel.

The Simpsons makes regular use of the side channels for dialogue coming from an offscreen character. It does a good job of locating the sound appropriately for the action.
post #749 of 4109 Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I don't think Jesse ever wanted to be "a bad guy". His intentions were always honorable, in a way. He just wanted to make a living, figured out how to do it in a shady kind of way, and just wanted to have his little slice of the pie. He had no desire to be a kingpin; he wasn't that stupid, or ambitious. Had he not taken that initial plunge into methmaking, I doubt he would ever have been involved in anything illegal beside, maybe, small time dealing.

Watch Jesse in the pilot again.

If he didn't want to be a kingpin, why did he call himself "Captain Cook", put this handle on his license plate, put up a web site extolling his meth-cooking abilities, and brag to everyone about he was making the best meth in the world? He was not a weekend cooker trying to get "a little slice of the pie". This was his full time job and this was his path to the big time. When he avoided his arrest in the pilot, he was already deeply involved with Crazy 8 and his brother, two dangerous mofos on the bottom of a large network of distribution.

I don't see how anyone could call that "honorable" in any way.

Finally the show is back on track: Jesse has stupidly put himself into harm's way again and for the umpteenth time Mr. White is off to rescue his lil' buddy when it would make more sense for him to get what he's been asking for. Go, Walt, go!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #750 of 4109 Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Mike should be worried about driving him out to the desert. There's nothing more dangerous than a guy who's got nothing left to lose, and that's how Jesse feels. He sees himself as already dead, so why not risk everything and go medieval on Mike when he gets the chance?

a) Mike would have made sure Jesse was unarmed before they got in the car.
b) Nobody gets medieval on Mike.

I think the scenes bookending the episode have to be connected. Mike may want to use Jesse in some counteroffensive scheme against the cartel since everyone but Walt now agrees Jesse's expendable. I doubt he's taking him out into the desert simply to execute him. There's always a plan with Mike.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page