Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #91 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I wonder how many takes it took to get the pizza on the roof.

Apparently the Mexican Mafia is still into suits that boy bands wore in the early 90's.

Of course Saul's threat to sue Jesse's parents was ridiculous. They should have told him "Then don't buy it" and found another buyer. I don't know about New Mexico but lying on real estate disclosure forms is as common as lying on resumés around here. They must be as dumb as his kid to fall for that. I guess Jesse now has career in real estate.

Remember that the IRS can nail anybody with mysterious sources of income. Pay $400,000 in cash for a house? I sure hope Jesse remembers to pay taxes on that "income" because that transaction is now in the books.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
The Saul character really came into his own this week. There were some pretty big logic holes in the whole house sale "negotiation" though. I wonder if Jesse will be smart enough to flip the house and take his profit. The look on his parents' face was priceless.

I didn't think the ending was "confusing" at all.
post #93 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Of course Saul's threat to sue Jesse's parents was ridiculous. They should have told him "Then don't buy it" and found another buyer. I don't know about New Mexico but lying on real estate disclosure forms is as common as lying on resumés around here. They must be as dumb as his kid to fall for that. I guess Jesse now has career in real estate.

Remember that the IRS can nail anybody with mysterious sources of income. Pay $400,000 in cash for a house? I sure hope Jesse remembers to pay taxes on that "income" because that transaction is now in the books.

If the police were involved in finding the meth lab, the house would have been red-tagged and a lien put on the title by the city. That forces an official cleanup by a licensed hazmat remediation company. So there's no way to "hide" the existence of the lab. If the police were not involved and they just "cleaned" it up themselves, there's no proof that the lab ever existed and no grounds for a suit unless you can prove the lab existed. That's not to say that Saul can't play on their guilt and pull this off anyhow. People getting caught with their pants down will often agree to anything. I was under the impression that the cops were at the house, so there's no way they could have hidden the lab's existence.

There's ways to get around the IRS issues, which Saul would know all about. In a cash deal, you can circumvent title insurance and any reporting of the purchase other than the deed. So the IRS wouldn't find out anything unless they happened to be doing an audit of someone involved.
Quote:

That was hilarious. I got the feeling that it was accidental and they just went with it.
post #94 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

According to Alan Sepinwall's blog (and supposedly according to a podcast with someone on the crew), it took exactly one take. Cranston did it perfectly on the first try, although they were ready with some rig to place it on the roof if necessary.

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2010/0...bre-house.html

From the blog:

Quote:
Walt's flinging of the pizza onto the garage roof seemed so impressive that I asked Vince Gilligan if there was any special work by the crew to aid its flight. Here's what he said:

Our special effects expert did indeed work up some mechanism for getting the pizza out of the box and onto the roof, using fishline or somesuch. However, to the best of my knowledge, his rig was never used. What you see in the finished episode is take one, in which Bryan basically just did a Hail Mary toss and got it up there in one try!

post #95 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
lol

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #96 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If the police were involved in finding the meth lab, the house would have been red-tagged and a lien put on the title by the city.

Since Jesse didn't get arrested, the police were not involved. There was no way to prove that meth was being produced there so they should have told Saul to buzz off. What could have gotten them is Saul suddenly bluffing that he did have proof, and that's when their attorney should have stepped in.

Quote:

There's ways to get around the IRS issues, which Saul would know all about. In a cash deal, you can circumvent title insurance and any reporting of the purchase other than the deed. So the IRS wouldn't find out anything unless they happened to be doing an audit of someone involved.

I would like to see how Saul got around all possible IRS issues in a matter of days. Expensive house purchases for cash are routinely tagged for IRS investigation, especially first home purchases. This is not usually how law-abiding people purchase their first home.

post #97 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

According to Alan Sepinwall's blog (and supposedly according to a podcast with someone on the crew), it took exactly one take. Cranston did it perfectly on the first try, although they were ready with some rig to place it on the roof if necessary.

Then the crew thought, "Great, we get to eat all the pizzas we thought we'd need for multiple takes!"

post #98 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since Jesse didn't get arrested, the police were not involved. There was no way to prove that meth was being produced there so they should have told Saul to buzz off. What could have gotten them is Saul suddenly bluffing that he did have proof, and that's when their attorney should have stepped in.

I though there was mention in season 2 of the police having been there when Jesse was being questioned by them and the DEA.

Quote:

I would like to see how Saul got around all possible IRS issues in a matter of days. Expensive house purchases for cash are routinely tagged for IRS investigation, especially first home purchases. This is not usually how law-abiding people purchase their first home.

On a cash deal done outside of a title company, there's nobody to be "tagging" anything. The parents' income from the sale is another matter, but unless they got audited by the IRS there would be no way to track the money back to Jesse. There are a lot of tax repercussions for them with the sale, but nothing leads to Jesse except the money. Jesse has effectively laundered that money. Of course if he wants to sell the house it would need to be another cash deal outside of any title company to avoid it being reported to IRS.
post #99 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I though there was mention in season 2 of the police having been there when Jesse was being questioned by them and the DEA.

I don't recall this. The only time I can remember the DEA and Jesse connecting was when they found his car at Tuco's father's house.

Quote:

On a cash deal done outside of a title company, there's nobody to be "tagging" anything.

The IRS regularly scans public records for unusual property transactions. Deeds are public records. When Jesse files his taxes, the IRS computers can flag the discrepancy between the money he paid for the house and the small amount of income he declares. A person declaring little income cannot purchase a $400,000 house for cash.

Jesse fortunately is small fry. The IRS flags the people who buy multiple houses and have multiple expensive cars registered at the DMV yet aren't declaring enough income to afford these things. Those cases are enough to keep their agents busy.

Quote:

Jesse has effectively laundered that money. Of course if he wants to sell the house it would need to be another cash deal outside of any title company to avoid it being reported to IRS.

How can you say it's "effectively laundered"? Are you not aware that property purchased by funds gained by illegal activities can be seized? Money isn't laundered until it can pass for legitimate income, the kind you pay taxes on. The IRS cares about income.

Jesse should have bought some arcades and laundromats. They're perfect vehicles for money laundering. Since they provide services, there's no way to prove they didn't generate x dollars of income.

post #100 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the guys in Office Space could've used that info too.

post #101 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The IRS regularly scans public records for unusual property transactions. Deeds are public records.

New Mexico is a "non disclosure" state. So unless someone physically goes to the court house and looks through records on a specific property, nobody knows anything. Even property tax records can only be publicly searched by physical address, not by name.

Quote:

When Jesse files his taxes, the IRS computers can flag the discrepancy between the money he paid for the house and the small amount of income he declares

OK, now do you really think Jesse has ever filed a tax return? Really?
post #102 of 4148 Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
All this IRS talk sure is a bummer....

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #103 of 4148 Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

New Mexico is a "non disclosure" state. So unless someone physically goes to the court house and looks through records on a specific property, nobody knows anything. Even property tax records can only be publicly searched by physical address, not by name.

What? You folks only use paper down there? We have computers here and you can even search public records on the Internet. Man, New Mexico must be a great place to be if you're a drug dealer.

How do banks assess property value when someone wants a mortgage there? Here all property transactions are public record and easily searched, so the assessor just looks up the recent real estate sales in the neighborhood which are in a database and notes the sale prices of comparable properties. Any strange transactions are discarded.

Quote:

OK, now do you really think Jesse has ever filed a tax return? Really?

No I don't.

Do I think he has a Social Security number? I don't know. Do they have those in New Mexico?

post #104 of 4148 Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What? You folks only use paper down there? We have computers here and you can even search public records on the Internet. Man, New Mexico must be a great place to be if you're a drug dealer.

We have a few of those here. But again, property transactions are not public.
Quote:

How do banks assess property value when someone wants a mortgage there?

With a full appraisal based on MLS records which are not public.
Quote:

Here all property transactions are public record and easily searched, so the assessor just looks up the recent real estate sales in the neighborhood which are in a database and notes the sale prices of comparable properties

Property tax records can be accessed online, but only by address - so someone has to be looking at a specific address. There are non-public searches available to specific interests where you can search by name, presumably the IRS might be included but again they would have to be looking at a specific name. This is considered a public safety thing, you don't want people to be able to publicly find your address by name. This protects victims of domestic violence and the like.
post #105 of 4148 Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Was Walter's life saved by "Pollos" (Chickens in English) texted to the Mexican Death Twins from the fast food drug ceo Gus ? Kinda Weird?

Saul did great (sleazy, decadent) work by booting Jesse's parents out, and it was believeable. When you know about a felony like drug dealing on your property and fail to report it, you become an accomplice to the crime. True upstanding citizens are scared to death at even the hint of jail (or prison) time. Even with their lawyer defense, they would have sold.
post #106 of 4148 Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We have a few of those here. But again, property transactions are not public.

MLS data comes mostly from property transactions which are most definitely public, at least in my state. MLS organizes the data to be easier to search for real estate people and it sometimes adds more accurate property details which are not public (and not always accurate).

The IRS collects and organizes the very same public data to make it easy to flag for "unusual" sales that may indicate hidden or illegal sources of income. If you ever get audited, you'll discover they know everything about the real estate you've owned.

post #107 of 4148 Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
enough with the off topic stuff already
we get it, you know something about real estate and the IRS
post #108 of 4148 Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

MLS data comes mostly from property transactions which are most definitely public, at least in my state.

Once again, NM is a non-disclosure state. Only licensed Realtors and appraisers have (paid) access to MLS data on sales. The IRS does not. It's a privately owned database, it would require a court action to access. Title companies report income to the IRS, but there's no requirement to use a title co. Here you can sell a property with a contract written on a cocktail napkin, and record a new deed yourself. No record in the MLS or anywhere else except for the eventual property tax records.

There are other non-disclosure states, maybe a half dozen, but I've forgotten which ones they are.
post #109 of 4148 Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Was Walter's life saved by "Pollos" (Chickens in English) texted to the Mexican Death Twins from the fast food drug ceo Gus ? Kinda Weird?

Yeah, what was up with that? I figured the private eye dude was working for Saul, keeping an eye on Skyler to make sure she doesn't rat Walter out, but the dude called Gus when he saw the twins go into the house with the chrome hatchet (burrrr!) So, he works for Gus and Saul?
post #110 of 4148 Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
saul did not reveal to walt/jesse the extent of his relationship with Gus, which in turn means Mike's relationship.
clearly the cousins were related to Tuco and his uncle, and I believe they were the ones who were supposed to pick up tuco,uncle,walt, and jesse when tuco evaded the dea last season.
what was new was Gus' relationship with the cousins/mexican mafia/cartel, revealed via the instantaneous power of a simple text of Pollos, the same text Walt got in the first episode which led to the sitdown between him and Gus.
a question is now raised, did Gus know of the cousins plan and their connection to Walt via Tuco? probably not, or else he wouldn't have allowed them to for a lack of a better word, 'wack' Walt if he was to call it off, like he did.
My theory is Gus now knows he has a lot more leverage in negotiating with Walt concerning operations. He may not be so kind in their next sitdown, and may offer less $.
Walt will soon learn of the cousins and their desire to kill him, along with Gus' desire to do business. Walt has a decision to make, and he knows Skylar, Holly,Walt Jr. (formerly Flynn) may be in Gus' crosshairs if Walt declines to work with Gus again.
post #111 of 4148 Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Walt on the straight-and-narrow sucks. It's been forever since we've gotten a new chemistry lesson of the week. Unless we're counting the pepper spray.

As for Saul -- always the best. I'm not usually a fan of comedic characters being added later in a show's run, but Saul is awesome. Although all appearances by Saul are dark reminders of what the world lost when Mr Show went bye-bye.
post #112 of 4148 Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

Walt on the straight-and-narrow sucks. It's been forever since we've gotten a new chemistry lesson of the week. Unless we're counting the pepper spray.

I agree that we don't really want an entire season of more and more consequences being heaped onto Walt. The comic relief provided by Saul and others is great but at some point we need to move forward. I expect we will.
post #113 of 4148 Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 676
I think Walt will get back in the game, and soon. His decent to the dark side is irreversible, especially now that he's lost everything he cares about. I think we can see a similar pattern with Jesse, who now seems to be willing to embrace his inner "bad guy".
post #114 of 4148 Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just hate watching an angst-ridden Walt. As a character, Walt functions best as a smarter version of the Fight Club critique of modern manhood.

Also, frankly, I miss the story device where every week involved a chemistry lesson. Some of the show's best moments come from those lessons. Like dissolving the body in the bathtub.

Breaking Bad is at its best when those two elements -- the critique of modern manhood (or, more exactly, how little opportunity there is left to be a man) and the chemistry lesson -- come together. Walt is, at the end of the day, a study in a man using his brain to not just get by, but to assert himself.

That's actually what I like best about Breaking Bad's tragic element. For as much as Walt wants to pretend its the cancer pushing him to do this, it isn't. Walt is doing this because he feels he has been robbed of his manhood. The cancer was just his excuse to go all-in.
post #115 of 4148 Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think Walt will get back in the game, and soon. His decent to the dark side is irreversible, especially now that he's lost everything he cares about. I think we can see a similar pattern with Jesse, who now seems to be willing to embrace his inner "bad guy".

My feeling is that Jesse and Walter have exchanged roles. Jesse is now the careful one taking fewer risks and making smart decisions while Walter is the reckless one shooting his mouth off at a cop for no reason and ending up in jail.

post #116 of 4148 Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, it seems like Walt is oblivious to his precarious position. The only people in town who don't know who he is are the cops/DEA.
post #117 of 4148 Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

That's actually what I like best about Breaking Bad's tragic element. For as much as Walt wants to pretend its the cancer pushing him to do this, it isn't. Walt is doing this because he feels he has been robbed of his manhood. The cancer was just his excuse to go all-in.

That's a really great insight. I like the way you put that. "All-in" -- yep, he sure is.
post #118 of 4148 Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I farted"?

I have to wonder why they include words that have to get cut.

post #119 of 4148 Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Man... That was a ****ed up end to the episode...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Skyler really needs to take that stick out of her ass. I mean yeah Walt's action isn't the best, but at least he was doing it to preserve the future of that family...

post #120 of 4148 Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

"I farted"?

I have to wonder why they include words that have to get cut.

I heard, "I phucked Ted"
which it looks like Skyler did
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page