post #271 of 470 Old 03-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From an article over at Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information
Quote:

Do you tie up loose ends, and shoot a de facto series finale, just in case it's all over? Or do you leave the viewers wanting more via a big, messy cliffhanger in hopes that execs will find it more difficult to cut things off midstream?

This year, the producers behind ABC's "Life on Mars" came up with a third option: Persuade the network to announce the show's fate right now in order to at least go out with a bang.

"The producers were really pushing for it," said ABC Entertainment exec VP Jeff Bader. "Based on the ratings the way they are now, it didn't look like it would be back.

"So (the producers) said, 'Let us end it.' We thought, Let's do the right thing and give viewers a satisfying ending."

"Mars" exec producer Andre Nemec said he and the show's other producers -- having just come off another show, "October Road," that left the air without a proper goodbye -- decided to sit the writers down at the very beginning and hammer out what the series' end would look like.

"Obviously we would have loved to be on the air for nine years, and none of this comes without great sadness," Nemec said. "But we found ourselves riding the bubble. The network was aware that we knew where we were going. We think (it's cool) that we're able to wrap this series up and not leave the audience high and dry."

As a result, the mysteries of "Life on Mars" will more or less be resolved when the show winds down at the start of April. But that scenario doesn't frequently occur.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 470 Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

I saw it reported elsewhere that the US producers licensed the music for the DVD set when they licensed it for broadcast, so it appears likely they'll be able to keep the music.

Meanwhile, the BBC version is coming to the US on DVD soon:http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Lif...Series-1/11423
I asked the folks at TVShowsOnDVD about the music and they said that Acorn has said that "They're very hopeful to get all the music licensed for the DVDs."

The UK Series are available on Blu-ray as 1080/24p (upscaled from 576/25p I believe) already and I believe they don't have any regional encoding so the main features should play fine in any US BD player. They probably look a whole lot better than the 480i releases will - though I suspect they cost a lot more. They probably sound a bit better as well. The extras are 576/50Hz I think though - so they may not play in some US players - but should be fine on most PCs (albeit with 10Hz judder at 60Hz)
post #273 of 470 Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Pretty good episode last night.
Gretchen Mol gets better and better as the series progresses- more Anne=good!
The Lut and Ray giving Chris dating advise....

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #274 of 470 Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Unlike most of you who seemed to jump on board earlier, it's only been within the last few episodes or so that I have really started to get into this series. I do tend to enjoy the so-called "shipper" aspects of shows the most (i.e., rooting for and being a fan of the romantic relationships within a show), so with Sam and Annie growing tighter, it has elevated my interest. I guess I'm more like a chick in that way.

Kudos to the show runners who reportedly fought to get an answer from ABC about their future so that they could try and tidy things up and resolve some issues/questions with the remaining time they have left.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #275 of 470 Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Frick! I missed it! Does anyone know if it's available on-line anywhere? I'll check ABC. Rats! Can't believe I missed it!
post #276 of 470 Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

The UK Series are available on Blu-ray as 1080/24p (upscaled from 576/25p I believe) already and I believe they don't have any regional encoding so the main features should play fine in any US BD player. They probably look a whole lot better than the 480i releases will - though I suspect they cost a lot more. They probably sound a bit better as well. The extras are 576/50Hz I think though - so they may not play in some US players - but should be fine on most PCs (albeit with 10Hz judder at 60Hz)

Thanks for the info. I'm checking Amazon UK to confirm it. I want to start watching ashes to ashes but cannot until I've gone thru the original series of Life on Mars.
post #277 of 470 Old 03-12-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Wasn't my favorite episode, but wow, Cap'n Gene wasn't afraid to get some action.... But at least LoM doesn't suffer from terrible teleplay-writing like a lot of other dramas do.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #278 of 470 Old 03-12-2009, 04:28 PM

This show is getting better and better as the season progresses.
Too bad the last episode will be April 1st. Why do all the good shows get cancelled?
post #279 of 470 Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:

But at least LoM doesn't suffer from terrible teleplay-writing like a lot of other dramas do.

It probably helps that a good chunk of the plot work was already done by our cousins across the pond. It's been a few years since I saw the BBC version so I don't remember how much is "borrowed." I know there are differences, but basic plots are (mostly) the same.

That's not to say the writers don't do a good job on the work they do because they do a good job of putting the show in New York and I don't want to get into a British versus American version debate. I must say, however, that I thought that "Tom Cruise" was not as original as the BBC alias.
post #280 of 470 Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post

It probably helps that a good chunk of the plot work was already done by our cousins across the pond. It's been a few years since I saw the BBC version so I don't remember how much is "borrowed." I know there are differences, but basic plots are (mostly) the same.

That's not to say the writers don't do a good job on the work they do because they do a good job of putting the show in New York and I don't want to get into a British versus American version debate. I must say, however, that I thought that "Tom Cruise" was not as original as the BBC alias.

From my memory, most of the episode was relatively new. The swingers party was in the BBC version and I don't remember if the dating advice was in the corresponding BBC episode or a different one. As far as the BBC alias, the corresponding US one was given to Gene Hunt here.
post #281 of 470 Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Damn Gretchen Mol was HOT in this ep. Can't say that I cared for the auburn hair (and style) as much as her short blonde look, but that scene in the bedroom with her swinger pilot was VERY revealing!

The wife and I love this show, and will hate to see it end. They handle the period so well, and it's always entertaining even when they're not following the main plot (as in this week).
post #282 of 470 Old 03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Several years ago, I remember Vanity Fair or a similar magazine did a feature on 'future moviestars' or some such, and Gretchen Mol was one of the dozen or so featured. It was the first I had heard of her. For whatever reason, that mention of her stuck with me (couldn't begin to tell you who else they predicted fame and Oscar-worthy fortune for in that same feature). But she quickly seemed to drop off the radar.

I would always think of that article whenever her name would come up, which was very seldom before the LoM series came along. There's no point to this post of mine. just thought I'd mention. *shrugs*

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #283 of 470 Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Several years ago, I remember Vanity Fair or a similar magazine did a feature on 'future moviestars' or some such, and Gretchen Mol was one of the dozen or so featured. It was the first I had heard of her. For whatever reason, that mention of her stuck with me (couldn't begin to tell you who else they predicted fame and Oscar-worthy fortune for in that same feature). But she quickly seemed to drop off the radar.

I always thought of that article whenever her name would come up, which was very seldom before the LoM series came along. There's not point to this post of mine. just thought I'd mention. *shrugs*

It probably has something to do with having a name like "Gretchen"...
post #284 of 470 Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

when I was typing out that post, that thought occurred to me too. Both her first and last name really stick out in a memorable way.

post #285 of 470 Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It probably has something to do with having a name like "Gretchen"...

or a bad agent.
post #286 of 470 Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
How many shows are not "in the can" that we can expect them to write the series finale in? ...
I wonder if they will cram it all into 1 episode, or have enough left to tell the endgame story thru a few eps ...
post #287 of 470 Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I finally saw this week's episode last night and loved it. Gretchen Mol was particularly appealing. She does a remarkable job of shifting back and forth between The Demure Young Lady and The Sexpot Temptress, and being convincing both ways. I first saw her do this well in an obscure little biopic, The Notorious Bettie Page. Mol played a real life woman who scandalized some in congress in the '40s and '50s because she appeared in "dirty" photographs and films, which by modern standards seem decidedly soft core and charmingly anachronistic. It was a good movie and Mol was outstanding in it.
post #288 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I watched the original UK series and thought it was one of the best TV series of the past few years. I didn't expect much of the U.S. series and the first few episodes reinforced that view. But the series has got better and better as it progressed and is now IMHO good in its own right. Much better than most of the stuff we see on the networks. In some ways it is a pity it is coming to an end but in others it's a good thing, because it can come to a conclusion rather than just fading away.
post #289 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

I watched the original UK series and thought it was one of the best TV series of the past few years. I didn't expect much of the U.S. series and the first few episodes reinforced that view. But the series has got better and better as it progressed and is now IMHO good in its own right. Much better than most of the stuff we see on the networks. In some ways it is a pity it is coming to an end but in others it's a good thing, because it can come to a conclusion rather than just fading away.

I agree both that the BBC original was a terrific series and that the US version has, in its own way, developed into an equally outstanding series. The Life on Mars legend has been well served.
post #290 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I finally saw this week's episode last night and loved it. Gretchen Mol was particularly appealing. She does a remarkable job of shifting back and forth between The Demure Young Lady and The Sexpot Temptress, and being convincing both ways. I first saw her do this well in an obscure little biopic, The Notorious Bettie Page. Mol played a real life woman who scandalized some in congress in the '40s and '50s because she appeared in "dirty" photographs and films, which by modern standards seem decidedly soft core and charmingly anachronistic. It was a good movie and Mol was outstanding in it.

I was in the middle of "channel surfing" and found that movie. Funny thing is I actually started watching it because of her being in it. I agree with you it was a "good movie" better than I ever expected it to be! She did a great job portraying such an iconic figure and how she became a legend. Just shows you how morality has changed since then sometime for better sometimes for worse.
post #291 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 10:34 AM

I am concerned with how this is all going to end. I appreciate the fact that ABC is letting them wrap it up in an appropriate manner but I fear that with just an episode or two to do it, it is going to feel forced. Lost is taking three seasons, for crying out loud (just an example, not a comparison).

As we've noted before, the where is Sam and how does he get home ploy seems to be underplayed in the American version whereas it was in every episode of the original. I think that was because the writers wanted to draw things out for multiple seasons over here. That's fine, but now the ending will be rushed.
post #292 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I was in the middle of "channel surfing" and found that movie. Funny thing is I actually started watching it because of her being in it. I agree with you it was a "good movie" better than I ever expected it to be! She did a great job portraying such an iconic figure and how she became a legend. Just shows you how morality has changed since then sometime for better sometimes for worse.

Mol brings a lot to every role so I was not surprised that she is doing such a great job in Life on Mars. She is a pretty woman and can be very sexy when called for but she is a sensitive actress, too. She has created a character in No Nuts Annie Norris I won't soon forget. She is pretty and sweet and catches constant grief from the Neanderthal guys in the squad room. Still, she retains her dignity and has proved, as she told Gene, "I'm a good cop, no, I'm a GREAT cop." Indeed.

EDIT: Typo corrected.
post #293 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post

I am concerned with how this is all going to end. ...
As we've noted before, the where is Sam and how does he get home ploy seems to be underplayed in the American version whereas it was in every episode of the original. I think that was because the writers wanted to draw things out for multiple seasons over here. That's fine, but now the ending will be rushed.

Well, I think they are going to just do it in one episode. What they have said is that from the wrap-up episode we should be able to see how they planted clues in the various episodes. I think we are probably going to feel a little short-changed, but it will be better than not having any resolution at all.
post #294 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Although not in HD, the sequel continues with Ashes to Ashes on BBC America. I enjoyed watching last Saturday's premier episode.
post #295 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:

I think we are probably going to feel a little short-changed, but it will be better than not having any resolution at all.

I agree. I'm just saying in advance that I think the ending will be rushed even if they explain the clues they planted. They've thrown some things out there, ie the Soviets, that require more explaination than a passing reference.
post #296 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
It's nice to know that crap like "According To Jim" (an hour long on Tues) still has a place on ABC while quality shows like this get cancelled.

Bravo!!!

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #297 of 470 Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Don't forget Dancing with the Stars. They need to rebroadcast that for the umpteenth time every week!!

But seriously, why the HELL are shows like "According to Jim" still being kicked around the ABC HD lineup? Back in the day when that show was new, I always liked "George Lopez" better and I was surprised that GL got the boot and Jim has survived.

And another one, Private Practice. Why the (expletive) doesn't ABC cancel that damn show? They gave it more chances than Life on Mars. PP had Wednesdays in the fall of 2007, Wednesdays in the fall of 2008 and Thursdays in the spring of 2009. So far, Mars has only had (a VERY, VERY poorly planned)Thursday in the fall of 2008 and a cut short spring of 2009.

The people at ABC know NOTHING about television. Why the HELL would they use two unrelated shows on one night---Mars having Grey's Anatomy as a lead in? Lost seems to fit better with Mars. Especially with the whole time travel angle.
post #298 of 470 Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If the series finale Is a two-hour event, on a Wednesday, ABC should use this intro for the show:

"Life On Mars 1973 Finale Intro"
post #299 of 470 Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It's nice to know that crap like "According To Jim" (an hour long on Tues) still has a place on ABC while quality shows like this get cancelled.

Bravo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

But seriously, why the HELL are shows like "According to Jim" still being kicked around the ABC HD lineup? Back in the day when that show was new, I always liked "George Lopez" better and I was surprised that GL got the boot and Jim has survived.

there is a weekend radio host in Chicago who is fascinated by this show. He's talked about watching reruns of it for hours on end, jaw agape, utterly fascinated by how monumentally bad it is, trying to comprehend why it remains on the air & what people see in it.

post #300 of 470 Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

there is a weekend radio host in Chicago who is fascinated by this show. He's talked about watching reruns of it for hours on end, jaw agape, utterly fascinated by how monumentally bad it is, trying to comprehend why it remains on the air & what people see in it.

Someone ought to tell him about folks & strokes.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page