post #91 of 470 Old 10-14-2008, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

This is not very important, doesn't make any difference, and they got really close, but Sam's TV is a Sony model KV1910, which was not introduced until 1975/76.

Ah - if you knew where to look the UK version was full of anachronisms as well. (Shots of satellite dish brackets - where they'd taken the dishes down but not the brackets - and few VHF Band I/III aerials, even though 405 line VHF TV was still popular in the early 70s. Also some scenes had CCTV cameras visible in them - and they weren't a feature in housing areas in the UK until much later)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 470 Old 10-14-2008, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I saw such stuff in the thread discussing US version of The Office. Some posters claimed that it was no good because it was a pale imitation of the original. They failed to realize, I guess, that the original show's creator and star, Ricky Gervais, has written a number of the US episodes.

I think that quite a few people who had strong views about the US version of The Office not being as good as the UK version WERE very aware of Ricky's involvement - but still had reservations about the new version.

For my money they are two quite different shows. The US version does feel much closer to a traditional sit com to me - which was something the UK version really tried to avoid.

However the US broadcast industry requires much longer seasons and expects series to run for many seasons (which isn't always the case in the UK - though increasingly it is becoming so) - so it was inevitable that the two versions would have to be different.

I think the US version is probably quite a bit warmer than the UK - which at times was pretty dark. I know a lot of Brits watched some episodes almost through their fingers because it was so cringingly bad.
post #93 of 470 Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

I think that quite a few people who had strong views about the US version of The Office not being as good as the UK version WERE very aware of Ricky's involvement - but still had reservations about the new version.

For my money they are two quite different shows. The US version does feel much closer to a traditional sit com to me - which was something the UK version really tried to avoid.

However the US broadcast industry requires much longer seasons and expects series to run for many seasons (which isn't always the case in the UK - though increasingly it is becoming so) - so it was inevitable that the two versions would have to be different.

I think the US version is probably quite a bit warmer than the UK - which at times was pretty dark. I know a lot of Brits watched some episodes almost through their fingers because it was so cringingly bad.

I agree that the BBC and US versions of the show are different but disagree that the US version is anywhere close to being typical US sitcom fare. The magic of the show is that it makes you cringe but laugh at the same time - while peering at the screen between the fingers of the hand covering your eyes. Sacha Baron Cohen managed to do the same thing in Borat. I had to get used to The Office to really appreciate it. Once I figured out where it was coming from, though, I fell in love with it. But it is different, VERY different, and certainly not for all tastes. One of the big things it has going for it is its very smart ensemble cast who are clearly in on the joke but try not to act like it. Michael's big mouthed cluelessness and Dwight's officious sycophancy tickle me to death, as does Jim's constant, straight faced needling of Dwight.

As a result of the recent posts to this thread about The Office, I finally got around to adding the BBC version to my Blockbuster queue. I am a Gervais fan and expect that I will like the original as much as I have the US version.

I can only hope that the US version of Life on Mars lives up to the original, too. I saw all of the BBC episodes and very much liked the show. Based on the first episode of the US version, I suspect that it, like The Office, will be quite a bit different. I just hope that it will be as good.
post #94 of 470 Old 10-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love the show, it is a nice Journeyman substitute. Could care less that there was a UK version. We get that some think the UK version is the best (just like in The Office thread). I enjoy those posts as much as I enjoy the posts from people who continually post how they are OUT on Lost each week but keep coming back for more. Or the "I watched 5 minutes then deleted it from my season pass" posts. Thankfully, there was no LOST UK version.
post #95 of 470 Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Back to the show for a moment. I cannot understand the propensity of some posters to denigrate a show just because it is based on an earlier British series. I saw such stuff in the thread discussing US version of The Office. Some posters claimed that it was no good because it was a pale imitation of the original. They failed to realize, I guess, that the original show's creator and star, Ricky Gervais, has written a number of the US episodes.

Wow, 2 rants in one post! I'm tired now so I'll leave.

In my case, I didn't get into The Office early on because the humor and style were both actually mirroring the original. The problem is, that didn't fit the American business environment they were trying to reflect. If it took place in a British office environment, I would have had no problem with the dialog and overall style. It just didn't fit in the American version.

I hear that, later, the show got its own legs and the humor was much more fitting of the environment, but I didn't tune in after missing so much. I may rent the DVD sets at some point and simply be more patient knowing a change does happen along the way.

In the case of Life On Mars, it feels like an American show. The setting, the dialog and the overall feel have been well adapted.
post #96 of 470 Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgh3rd View Post

Love the show, it is a nice Journeyman substitute.

I disagree. Journeyman was a completely different animal. In Journeyman, you had dealings with friends and family as well as a job on the one side, and that "fish out of water" aspect from never knowing where he would end up on the other. Ironicly, the character in Journyman seemed to adapt much more easily and play along. He even was clear headed enough to find a clever way to prove to his wife what he was doing.

Here, the main character, despite knowing what's going on, seems to simply not get the situation. He simply doesn't seem to be able to go with the flow and inists on appearing crazy to the other characters - the one plot element that I do find somewhat annoying. However, the show is entertaining overall, so I'll forgive that for episode 1.

Of course, if it continues well into episode 3 or 4, I may have to ditch. If he didn't know what was going on, or found himself jumping around (like in Journeyman), I might be more forgiving of his lack of ability to blend in. However, once he figured out the situation and realized how crazy he sounded to others, he didn't see the value of "playing along" until he could get out of there.
post #97 of 470 Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM

I just meant from any entertainment stand point. Obviously there are serious differences in each premise. BTW, he seemed to be accepting his situation better as the show progressed. As for the fish out of water he had the head injury excuse early on. I agree he was a bit over the top with the act. But if you are good at your job people accept eccentricities and he proved himself to his fellow officers. It will be interesting to see where things go from here.
post #98 of 470 Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

In my case, I didn't get into The Office early on because the humor and style were both actually mirroring the original. The problem is, that didn't fit the American business environment they were trying to reflect. If it took place in a British office environment, I would have had no problem with the dialog and overall style. It just didn't fit in the American version.

I had to work in a British office for almost three months when the company I work for acquired a British company (big mistake). In those months I heard no racial or obscene jokes involving the Queen, no discussions of sexual positions and no shocking profanity, nor did I see any sex toys, any employees with their pants pulled down (thank God) or people having sex in the parking lot. I think the BBC's Office depiction of a typical office in Britain was exaggerated unless my British coworkers were behaving themselves whenever I was around (well, we did just buy their company).

The American version on the other hand is surprisingly real.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #99 of 470 Old 10-16-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I had to work in a British office for almost three months when the company I work for acquired a British company (big mistake). In those months I heard no racial or obscene jokes involving the Queen, no discussions of sexual positions and no shocking profanity, nor did I see any sex toys, any employees with their pants pulled down (thank God) or people having sex in the parking lot. I think the BBC's Office depiction of a typical office in Britain was exaggerated unless my British coworkers were behaving themselves whenever I was around (well, we did just buy their company).

The American version on the other hand is surprisingly real.

Did you work in an office in Slough? (I live less than 10 miles from Slough - you kind of have to know the place to get the gag!)

(The original version of The Office was as much a statement on the then obsession with Fly On The Wall TV documentaries in workplaces that were a staple on UK TV - whether set in driving schools, following parking attendants etc. - as much as a depiction of a real office. The events that happen in the UK version of The Office could all easily have happened in any UK workplace - though it is obviously VERY unlikely that they'd all happen in the same small office. The gag is partially that they are all happening when the documentary crew is there. Does the US version of the show make as much of the documentary crew?)
post #100 of 470 Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Did you work in an office in Slough? (I live less than 10 miles from Slough - you kind of have to know the place to get the gag!)

No, Rotherham, a few miles from Sheffield. The company needed inexpensive office space.

Quote:

Does the US version of the show make as much of the documentary crew?)

Occasionally a character will address the crew. In one episode the presence of the crew tipped a character off that something was happening ("Oh geez! Get down!"). In another the crew confronted characters with some footage they had shot ("Well, you can edit anything to look like anything."). One other time an extra character, enthused by the camera, turned slightly and said his joke directly to the camera ("So that's where her uterus went!"). Most of the time it's like they're shooting a conventional sitcom with cuts to close-ups on the characters for many of their lines so it doesn't parody reality television much.

post #101 of 470 Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Just me or was last nights show missing something? It seemed to be an entirely different show from last weeks..
post #102 of 470 Old 10-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think most of the script was new (except the initial chase scene), so maybe that was what you felt. I just went to the ABC website for the show and see that there are short podcasts there with the executive producers. I haven't listened to them yet. There is also a page where they show what music was selected for each episode.
post #103 of 470 Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieko View Post

Just me or was last nights show missing something? It seemed to be an entirely different show from last weeks..

Having just watched it, I agree. I'm still willing to give it a few more weeks but not much beyond that.
post #104 of 470 Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Best line from the second episode (paraphrased):

Jason O'Mara: This could be a hate crime.

Harvey Keitel: You mean rather than an I don't like you very much crime?
post #105 of 470 Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Annie running a mimeograph, then taking a whiff; that brought back some memories. And the hippie/Go-go girl making a statement regarding illusion & reality....hmmm.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #106 of 470 Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I really enjoy this show. I couldn't care less about how it compares to its sibling show either. The show manages to feel authentic to me, and I find myself immersed so far. I may be in the minority here, but I am hooked. That said, I could have done without the preachy holier-than-thou speech about New York's landscape literally changing because of intolerance. It seemed oddly out of place in an otherwise great episode in my opinion.
post #107 of 470 Old 10-24-2008, 06:27 AM

I'm out. Season Pass deleted. I almost didn't make it through this episode.

Wow was that bad.

If I end up in a coma and this is the crap my mind conjures up, please, someone, pull the plug.

That was likely the most unoriginal downright boring hour of cop drama I have seen in a very long time.

It's like Barney Miller without the comedy.

If this show does not survive this season, this episode will be the reason.

The third episode screamed for action and a lot of original, gritty police work.

But no.

The UK version lasted 16 episodes and was supposedly better than this version. The US version will be lucky to make it to 9 episodes.

The ratings will start to fall precipitously going forward.
post #108 of 470 Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger16309 View Post

I'm out. Season Pass deleted. I almost didn't make it through this episode.

Wow was that bad.

If I end up in a coma and this is the crap my mind conjures up, please, someone, pull the plug.

That was likely the most unoriginal downright boring hour of cop drama I have seen in a very long time.

It's like Barney Miller without the comedy.

If this show does not survive this season, this episode will be the reason.

The third episode screamed for action and a lot of original, gritty police work.

But no.

The UK version lasted 16 episodes and was supposedly better than this version. The US version will be lucky to make it to 9 episodes.

The ratings will start to fall precipitously going forward.

It's amazing how different people have different opinions. I enjoyed this past episode, I think more than the second episode.

-Ken
post #109 of 470 Old 10-24-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

It's amazing how different people have different opinions. I enjoyed this past episode, I think more than the second episode.

-Ken

Agree
post #110 of 470 Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nitpicks, but They have to make the "cop" subplots equally as interesting as the time travel subplots ....
I could see where people could think that solving the murder was kind of "bla·sé" ..
They could also ramp up the mystery/anticipation of his "time" discoveries ... "Hey, look I found this identical shoe box hidden in the wall, but it ain't me, oh well, on to the next scene....."
I'm still watching.
post #111 of 470 Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

Nitpicks, but They have to make the "cop" subplots equally as interesting as the time travel subplots ....

He's just solving generic Cold Cases like Lily Rush, except the cases aren't cold yet, there are no flashbacks and the witnesses are still young.

It will be interesting if he comes across a case that would have consequences in the future if it were correctly solved, like the Vice President taking bribes or the President committing... oh wait, he showed up a little late for those. It's pretty obvious that he'll investigate the disappearance of his father and discover something. Maybe Nixon was involved!

post #112 of 470 Old 10-24-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Some reservations, which I will mention later, notwithstanding, I continue to like this show. Some of the one liners are a lot of fun. For example, the other cops in the squad refer to Annie Norris (Gretchen Mol), the female officer, as no nuts and I laughed out loud when Detective Carling (Michael Imperioli) told her to come with them to tell the widow that her naval officer husband had been murdered so she could do that do do that you do so well. Later, when Sam told the lieutenant that the murder looked like a hate crime, the lieutenant asked, What, as opposed to an I really, really like you crime? Funny stuff! By the way, I like Mol, she is a sound actress with a lot of range.

I was less impressed with how the writers dealt with the dead naval officer's old friend, who they referred to as having been his squad leader. The dead guy had been a surface warfare officer, and no surface warfare officer ever had a squad leader, at least not in the Viet Nam era. Trust me on this.

Despite the writers' sloppiness about military matters, I continue to think that this US version of the BBC original is a worthy successor, which I will continue to watch.
post #113 of 470 Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was less impressed with how the writers dealt with the dead naval officer's old friend, who they referred to as having been his squad leader. The dead guy had been a surface warfare officer, and no surface warfare officer ever had a squad leader, at least not in the Viet Nam era. Trust me on this.

I assumed the dead guy had become an officer later on in the war some time after his friend had been his squad leader. Is that possible?

post #114 of 470 Old 10-24-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I assumed the dead guy had become an officer later on in the war some time after his friend had been his squad leader. Is that possible?

No. Worse than that, the writers identified the friend as a "captain," which is the navy's equivalent of bird colonel in the army, air force, and marine corps. That actor looked far too young to have been a captain and his character was a disabled civilian, too boot. To be considered for the rank of captain one must have served in excess of 20 years as an officer and there was no indication that the guy had done so. In short, the writers didn't have a clue about the navy and cared less. What the hell, though, it's only TV, right?
post #115 of 470 Old 10-25-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In short, the writers didn't have a clue about the navy and cared less. What the hell, though, it's only TV, right?

OR....

...Sam doesn't know the difference and this is all a halucination he's having while he's in a coma!

Aha, didn't see that one coming, did you?

post #116 of 470 Old 10-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Annie running a mimeograph, then taking a whiff; that brought back some memories.

For me, too. I remember when I was in school in the 60s that is the first thing we would do when a teacher passed out mimeographed tests to us.
post #117 of 470 Old 10-25-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The mimeograph was an interesting prop, although with Xerox copiers in wide use by businesses, I'd think the NYPD would have made the switch by 1973.
post #118 of 470 Old 10-26-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

The mimeograph was an interesting prop, although with Xerox copiers in wide use by businesses, I'd think the NYPD would have made the switch by 1973.

Hmm - possibly. Though Gestetner style duplicators were in widespread use well into the 80s in the UK (all my school handouts and letters home etc. were produced this way as it was cheaper than Xerox). ISTR that you used Xerox to copy stuff that only existed on paper, but if you were producing stuff specifically to be duplicated you used a Gestetner system to type the original?
post #119 of 470 Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not 1000% certain, but that sounds right. Those copiers were behemoths back then and probably quite expensive. So it's not unreasonable to believe every single precinct could not afford one. Not to mention a colour option.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #120 of 470 Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Why do we surf AVS? Where else are you going to find debates on time travel, correct Navy terminology and the history of the mimeograph all in one thread? You guys kill me.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page