'Life On Mars' on ABC HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 470 Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent episode tonight; so glad it's back. Gretchen Mol is incredibly hot. ...and, Sam does who? Ouch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 470 Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Great, great show. I had already somehow forgotten how much I enjoyed this series. It is so deep and rich with character, dripping with raw emotion at times, and is so entertaining for me. I really hope it sticks around ..
post #183 of 470 Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
haha, I loved the little dialogue at the beginning about the guy investing in the "portable phone" company. And all the 70s cops with their "who wants to carry around a phone" comments.
post #184 of 470 Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
How about that, Johnny Sack was a NYPD detective in 1973 before switching to a life a crime and ending up mob boss of NY.
post #185 of 470 Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Great episode....
The last 90 seconds was classic!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #186 of 470 Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

How about that, Johnny Sack was a NYPD detective in 1973 before switching to a life a crime...

Good ole' John Sacramoni looks like he's been sacking down a few too many Johnny Cakes.

Great episode, it looks like the show is settling into a comfortable groove. Michael Imperioli had some great lines.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #187 of 470 Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Great episode....
The last 90 seconds was classic!

They definitely pushed Sam's buttons during the episode not warning him at all.

By the way, this next week's episode should be the continuation of the cliffhanger we had at the end of the first half of the scene. They showed this done in one pretty much self-contained episode in order to try to introduce the series to new viewers in the timeslot.
post #188 of 470 Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I missed this week's episode because the local ABC affiliate showed it in SD. They do that whenever there is bad weather because they have been too cheap to buy the gear that would allow them to show their weather graphics and an HD show simultaneously. That's characteristic of OKC network affiliate's, though, who seem to spend all of their money on helicopters and popinjay weathermen.
post #189 of 470 Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Missed it here too, due to the ice storm we didn't have power.

Its repeating Saturday night @ 10pm.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I missed this week's episode because the local ABC affiliate showed it in SD. They do that whenever there is bad weather because they have been too cheap to buy the gear that would allow them to show their weather graphics and an HD show simultaneously. That's characteristic of OKC network affiliate's, though, who seem to spend all of their money on helicopters and popinjay weathermen.

PVR user since the late 1900's . . .
post #190 of 470 Old 01-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

This happens to our NBC affiliate. It occurs when there are school closings for the next day. It drives me nuts that they don't buy the necessary equipment to show the weather graphics on an HD show. As an alternative, they could just show the weather crawl during the commercials, not the entire evening as they are doing now. End of rant. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
post #191 of 470 Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought this last episode was one of the best.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #192 of 470 Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a page on ABC.com that lists all the songs played on each episode of LOM, so if you can't remember who performed that last classic tune... go to the web!
http://abc.go.com/primetime/lifeonma...guide#t=120560
(use the small right arrow to the right of the show thumbnail to navigate back to earlier shows)

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #193 of 470 Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is it just me or does it feel like they went out of order with these last 2 episodes? Last week Sam was fine and kicking Russian butt and this week he's back to being injured from being shot the last time the show aired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 AM

I felt like I had missed an episode because they were talking about stuff I didn't even remember happening, I ended up checking tv.com for the episode list to figure out if I had missed an episode. Turns out they were talking about an episode from November.

Anyway I really liked this episode and the one before it, it no longer feels like they're trying to adapt the british series for an american audience. Also it seems like they got rid of the hippie chick? I haven't seen her lately.
post #195 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Is it just me or does it feel like they went out of order with these last 2 episodes? Last week Sam was fine and kicking Russian butt and this week he's back to being injured from being shot the last time the show aired.

Yes, they definitely aired the episodes out of order.
post #196 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

As mentioned in an earlier post, they decided to have a mostly self-contained episode last week in order to introduce the show to new viewers rather than this one which continued right from where they left off. This decision was mentioned in ABC's Life on Mars podcast last week.
post #197 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Not the best episode. I don't like that they don't talk a lot about Sam trying to get home anymore. In the British version, there was always at least one time in each episode where you are reminded that something strange is going on here. There was a brief bit of that at the end, but in a similar episode on the British version, the guy on the other end of the phone says something like, "You're almost done, Sam, just a few more things and we'll be able to bring you home," or something like that. Can't wait until Ashes to Ashes on BBC America, even if it isn't going to be quite as good as Life on Mars -- the 80s just don't compare to the 70s in terms of a vast difference between now and then.
post #198 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

...the 80s just don't compare to the 70s in terms of a vast difference between now and then.

Unless you're talking about woman's clothing... remember shoulder pads?

post #199 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's not even going to matter what storyline they try to follow. The ratings are so dismal, I can't imagine ABC is going to stick with it much longer. That's too bad, because it's become one of my favorite shows. I watched a "Sopranos" re-run the other day on AMC and thought Christopher looked weird with short hair and no 'stache or chops.
post #200 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot it was on!
Too rapped up in Damages.

Does anyone know if it will be rebroadcast Saturday as they did last week?

Larry

I thought we were

post #201 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I forgot it was on!
Too rapped up in Damages.

Does anyone know if it will be rebroadcast Saturday as they did last week?

No, it looks like they'll be repeating tonight's hospital dramas a Desperate Housewives. You'll have to get it online.

Since Damages is on half a dozen times during the week, you need to catch that a different time and watch Life on Mars live!
post #202 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

No, it looks like they'll be repeating tonight's hospital dramas a Desperate Housewives. You'll have to get it online.

Since Damages is on half a dozen times during the week, you need to catch that a different time and watch Life on Mars live!

I know, I blew it.

Damages is a more intense show that I can't wait to watch. I've been DVRing Mars and watching it on Thursday night after CSI. I got comfortable with the Thursday night routine-- I just spaced on it forgetting to record it. (I don't set things up on series recordings as to keep all available space free.)

Larry

I thought we were

post #203 of 470 Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

And where's the Goldie Hawn look-alike next door neighbor? As much as I like Gretchen Mol, that girl next door to Sam's apartment is hot!
post #204 of 470 Old 02-06-2009, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Not the best episode. I don't like that they don't talk a lot about Sam trying to get home anymore. In the British version, there was always at least one time in each episode where you are reminded that something strange is going on here. There was a brief bit of that at the end, but in a similar episode on the British version, the guy on the other end of the phone says something like, "You're almost done, Sam, just a few more things and we'll be able to bring you home," or something like that. Can't wait until Ashes to Ashes on BBC America, even if it isn't going to be quite as good as Life on Mars -- the 80s just don't compare to the 70s in terms of a vast difference between now and then.

For some reason I missed (and didn't DVR) Ashes to Ashes on first transmission in the UK - and have been catching up on it from the DVD box set.

It is different - and I can see why some people don't think it holds up as well when compared to the British Life on Mars series, but if you watch it for its own sake, and have already seen the British Life on Mars series (DON'T watch Ashes to Ashes first - it has spoilers for Life on Mars) then it is still pretty enjoyable.

As someone who grew up in Britain in the 70s and 80s (I went to Uni in 1990) both series have huge resonance. They don't always get the period details perfecty correct - but they do successfully evoke a sense of time and place very well indeed. (And the 80s music is well used IMHO)

And who can't love a 1980s Red Audi Quattro?
post #205 of 470 Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

For some reason I missed (and didn't DVR) Ashes to Ashes on first transmission in the UK - and have been catching up on it from the DVD box set.

It is different - and I can see why some people don't think it holds up as well when compared to the British Life on Mars series, but if you watch it for its own sake, and have already seen the British Life on Mars series (DON'T watch Ashes to Ashes first - it has spoilers for Life on Mars) then it is still pretty enjoyable.

As someone who grew up in Britain in the 70s and 80s (I went to Uni in 1990) both series have huge resonance. They don't always get the period details perfecty correct - but they do successfully evoke a sense of time and place very well indeed. (And the 80s music is well used IMHO)

And who can't love a 1980s Red Audi Quattro?

I'm looking foward to it, even if it isn't as good as the British Life on Mars.
post #206 of 470 Old 02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

How about just different in it's own way. If the writers had copied the British version word for word,story for story everyone here that has seen the orginal version would still find something else to whine about! I also would like to request that all of you including my GF who's saw the series when she lived in England stop saying how the actor playing Gene in the British version did a better job. I have only seen one episode of the British series so far. It seems so far both are good shows. IMHO there's a cultural difference that's why some are biased towards the original British series. I have been to England and have friends/family still there, but however I can relate to the American version easier with it's cars and clothes because that's what I grew up with. I'm sure it's the same for the others?
post #207 of 470 Old 02-07-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

How about just different in it's own way. If the writers had copied the British version word for word,story for story everyone here that has seen the orginal version would still find something else to whine about! I also would like to request that all of you including my GF who's saw the series when she lived in England stop saying how the actor playing Gene in the British version did a better job. I have only seen one episode of the British series so far. It seems so far both are good shows. IMHO there's a cultural difference that's why some are biased towards the original British series. I have been to England and have friends/family still there, but however I can relate to the American version easier with it's cars and clothes because that's what I grew up with. I'm sure it's the same for the others?

There are always those who insist that an American remake of a popular British series is not as good as the original. We have seen that phenomenon a lot in The Office thread. Although I loved the British series, I agree that the U.S. version of Life on Mars isn't inferior, only different. I am really enjoying it and think that Jason O'Mara, Harvey Keitel, Gretchen Mol, and Michael Imperioli are all outstanding.
post #208 of 470 Old 02-07-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Think you misread the post - we were discussing "Ashes to Ashes" UK vs "Life on Mars" UK I think.

Life on Mars only ran for two series in the UK - with a neat conclusion at the end of series 2. However it was so popular they brought back Gene, Chris and Ray (the three coppers Sam worked with in Life on Mars) - though not Annie - and relocated the show to the 80s. They then wrote in Alex Drake (a 00s female police officer) in a similar - though different - manner to Sam Tyler (with a great twist)

Most people who watched both didn't think Ashes to Ashes was as good as Life on Mars. I've now watched both Life on Mars UK series, and am half-way through Ashes to Ashes. I enjoyed them both in different ways - though tend to agree that Life on Mars was better - but that isn't to say Ashes to Ashes is bad by any stretch - it isn't.

And Phil Glenister is brilliant in both - as are the actors who play Chris and Ray. (However not even Phil Glenister can save the dire "Demons" on ITV1 at the moment - where he plays his character with an american accent...)
post #209 of 470 Old 02-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, the subject was the difference between both of the UK versions, not UK Life On Mars vs. American version of the same, although I'll state unequivocally that the UK version is better. The writers/producers are trying too hard to make this series a long-term show, but it's best as a two year deal; and in trying to prolong the story, they are weakening it and losing any chance of a second season. Where the hell is Maya?

As for Ashes to Ashes, I wish Annie was going to be in it, but I'm assuming I know why (don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen the finale of the British Life on Mars -- excellent!).
post #210 of 470 Old 02-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Michael Imperioli had some great one-liners in the last eppy.

i can't see this show making it season 2 though.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page